• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I watched Twin Peaks in 2004 or so and when I watched the movie immediately after the finale I was disappointed. If you go in to it with the desire to see answers and a continuation it's disappointing. I get why there was a backlash from some people. You watch it now in the current context and it's a great film.

To be honest, I think the new season in some ways will also benefit from this.

People love episode 7 because it has answers, but to be honest while I liked the episode it's not my favorite of the new season like some people are saying it is. It's a good episode, but I think many are overrating it because it's provided some catharsis for them. I think some people have been harsher on the new episodes because it doesn't provide that catharsis, but I will bet a number of these episodes will go on to be more positively received down the line. There is some fantastic stuff in all 7 parts so far, and I think in the moment where you're more invested in seeing where the story is going it's easy to gloss over the things that don't seem as immediately important. But a big part of Twin Peaks and David Lynch as a whole is these apparently non-important bits, and more so it can be very hard to tell what's important and what's not. The guy sweeping peanut shells last episode could be a one-off intermission or gag, but for all we know he could become a major character and him taking out those peanut shells is going to turn into something big. That's always that possibility and don't you forget it.

I think that's what FWWM suffered for many was the lack of catharsis or answers to their burning questions of what they desired and it not being what they expected or wanted, but when taken as its own thing I think it's why the reception has risen so much recently on the film because on its own it's actually pretty fantastic. Not for everyone still, but Lynch never is and never tries to be. And I feel while overall this season has been well received, some of the specifics and some people are very evidently more invested in catharsis, moving the 'plot along', or seeing familiar things that they know they like. In the pursuit, and so far denial, of these things they're missing out on enjoying the show for what it's actually doing and its worth. I think many will come to like it more over time when those expectations are no longer in the way. How I go into each episode is I don't expect anything except I have liked almost everything Lynch has ever made and I want to see what he does. I've ended up enjoying every episode, and I think it's interesting how different each episode is in tone despite being made like a movie (each episode ends up having some clear themes and tonal things for some reason). And I will say I think some of the best scenes Lynch has ever filmed are in this series even so far not even half-way through yet.

I understand some people want Lynch to 'get to the point', but I think that's missing the point of what Lynch both wants to do and is doing. That might come off more pretentious than I intend, but I simply mean while I fully expect some more classic Twin Peaks tones to pop up in the series as it certainly has been so far, I also expect Lynch isn't just going to settle on that or is ultimately headed towards that. I don't think becoming more like the classic Twin Peaks is the end goal, just a roadstop honestly. I think this work in many ways has been Lynch revisiting a lot of things, and not just Twin Peaks. I don't think it's pure coincidence there's a lot in this season that wouldn't feel out of place in his other films. There's scenes that remind of everything from Eraserhead to Mulholland Drive to Wild at Heart to Twin Peaks. I can only guess, but as Lynch hasn't made a proper movie in over 10 years before this and as Lynch probably knows he's not getting any younger, I think in part he's exploring all the things he loves and would like to revisit, not as a best of album or anything but more Lynch had ideas he wanted to do and he did them.

Part 8 might be full of the answers people have been seeking (I will admit at the start of Part 7 I was surprised and happy how it felt suddenly getting answers to the Season 2 Finale stuff), but it also could go in a much stranger direction. We will know in less than an hour for what this part entails, maybe Cooper is coming back, maybe Cooper is never coming back, maybe this episode will be pure nightmare fuel, maybe it'll be one of the most beautiful things we'll ever see. It's hard to say, but I think the best way to enjoy the season is with an open mind rather than expectations. I mean, maybe an expectation to be surprised might be the best thing, and to see if you enjoy it. I certainly know I am so far, at least.

Boem

The ridiculous costumes and wacky contrivances - like the giant chess piece - were the soap opera side of Twin Peaks. His psychological torture and conditioning of Leo and the way he effortlessly invaded all of Cooper's safe spaces were more the dark side of Twin Peaks.

In some ways I feel like Bad Cooper is a more successful execution of what Windom should have been. What you're describing there, about him invading Cooper's safe spaces, and performing meaningful psychological torture that should stay with you as the viewer - that's just not what I got from watching him.

I don't mind him as a goofy character at all - it's Twin Peaks after all and I love that side of it as well - but since, for me (and many others, including Lynch himself) the actually dark, twisted side was never convincing, he just wasn't much of a character in the end. He needed some of what Maclachlan is doing with Dark Coop right now. Still a humorous character in some ways, but at the same time an actually scary motherfucker (and I'm talking about the kind of scared/uncomfortable you get in Lynch-stuff). Even with some of the goofier Twin Peaks characters, I feel like there's an important point to them. Windom was just 90s tv bad guy. It didn't work for what Twin Peaks was, and to me it was the biggest example of the tonal mistakes in latter half season 2 (which I still liked, although I didn't love it as I did the earlier - and now later - Twin Peaks). Yes, there are worse moments, but he's the biggest character/plot that should have been done much, much better.

I wouldn't mind them revisiting him now if they've got something to do there though. Hell, this show can do whatever it wants. I'm constantly surprised and always engrossed.

Dusk Golem

In some ways I feel like Bad Cooper is a more successful execution of what Windom should have been. What you're describing there, about him invading Cooper's safe spaces, and performing meaningful psychological torture that should stay with you as the viewer - that's just not what I got from watching him.

I don't mind him as a goofy character at all - it's Twin Peaks after all and I love that side of it as well - but since, for me (and many others, including Lynch himself) the actually dark, twisted side was never convincing, he just wasn't much of a character in the end. He needed some of what Maclachlan is doing with Dark Coop right now. Still a humorous character in some ways, but at the same time an actually scary motherfucker (and I'm talking about the kind of scared/uncomfortable you get in Lynch-stuff). Even with some of the goofier Twin Peaks characters, I feel like there's an important point to them. Windom was just 90s tv bad guy. It didn't work for what Twin Peaks was, and to me it was the biggest example of the tonal mistakes in latter half season 2 (which I still liked, although I didn't love it as I did the earlier - and now later - Twin Peaks).

I wouldn't mind them revisiting him now if they've got something to do there though. Hell, this show can do whatever it wants. I'm constantly surprised and always engrossed.

So I actually kind of love Windom Earle, I was a bit indifferent towards him on my initial watch but on rewatches I came to kind of love how dumb and cartoony of a villain he is, and I think it's amplified by his ultimate fate. I actually think despite his goofiness, he ends up having a pretty interesting character arc. Also some of his antics are so goofy but fun to watch I can't hate him. However I will say Mr. C in many ways does seem to strike the menace that Windom never really accomplished and I think is a much more capable and intimidating villain. How I view it is Windom was someone who was trying very hard to compensate and took jolly fun in being evil, he was like a kid trying to be taken seriously and did atrocities but in the end his self-importance and trying to be a big bad was his undoing. Meanwhile Mr. C is intimidating without even trying, he isn't a try-hard like Windom, he simply is intimidating simply by being himself.

Windom felt like a kid trying to be bad, while Mr. C feels like him being evil is just a consequence of who he is.

traveler

Not Wario
I've never actually seen any Lynch movies outside of FWWM and I love both it and the new series style. The deliberate pacing feels great; there's just so much to soak in in each scene. The 7 episodes we've had thus far are the strongest stretch of Twin Peaks material across its entire run in my mind.

All that said, I totally get why those who loved the soapier/goofier side of Twin Peaks and the rich atmosphere the music evoked would miss some elements of the older series. Going from seeing the show for the first time straight to FWWM straight to season 3 was fairly jarring stylistically.

Dusk Golem

I've never actually seen any Lynch movies outside of FWWM and I love both it and the new series style. The deliberate pacing feels great; there's just so much to soak in in each scene. The 7 episodes we've had thus far are the strongest stretch of Twin Peaks material across its entire run in my mind.

All that said, I totally get why those who loved the soapier/goofier side of Twin Peaks and the rich atmosphere the music evoked would miss some elements of the older series. Going from seeing the show for the first time straight to FWWM straight to season 3 was fairly jarring stylistically.

All I'll say is if you love the new season and FWWM, you should take some time to check out his other stuff as well. I think this new season of TP could end up becoming Lynch's magnum opus, but his other films are something. Different people have different favorites, but the three most overall well received are Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, and Blue Velvet. I'll also mention Mulholland Drive was originally supposed to be a Twin Peaks spin-off television series staring Audrey, but it ended up becoming its own thing and not a television show but a film. I kind of think some of the scrapped ideas for the spin-off have reared their head in the new season, but that's just speculation on my part. There's some stuff in the new season that feels very Mulholland Drive-esque.

Rewatching 7 right now and only skimming this, but I love Windom in all his silliness. It doesn't undermine him at all for me. He has a glee to what he does that makes him very different to Mr C who is like a shark and only seems close to happy when he is manipulating someone.

Dusk Golem

Part 8 airs in 30 minutes! There's been some hyping for the new part from people who worked on it, so let's see if tonight brings us anything special!

I don't mind him as a goofy character at all - it's Twin Peaks after all and I love that side of it as well - but since, for me (and many others, including Lynch himself) the actually dark, twisted side was never convincing, he just wasn't much of a character in the end. He needed some of what Maclachlan is doing with Dark Coop right now. Still a humorous character in some ways, but at the same time an actually scary motherfucker (and I'm talking about the kind of scared/uncomfortable you get in Lynch-stuff). Even with some of the goofier Twin Peaks characters, I feel like there's an important point to them. Windom was just 90s tv bad guy. It didn't work for what Twin Peaks was, and to me it was the biggest example of the tonal mistakes in latter half season 2 (which I still liked, although I didn't love it as I did the earlier - and now later - Twin Peaks).

I don't see how you can say that Windom didn't work for what Twin Peaks was when 75% of the show was soap opera trash and 90s cheese, even in season 1. He fit the series like a glove.

Doop's stark, uncompromising evil would be completely out of place.

Joqu

Can I just say this season has been so fucking good and I love you all.

tumblr_m6z7oi1C6F1qemxtco3_250.gif

I am going to remember this post for a week and a half from now when the TP OT is in flames, the posters have separated into cannibalistic tribes, and bans have started dropping.

Only the strongest will live to see the rest of the series.

I don't see how that happens unless they kill off Cooper tonight.

They won't kill Coop...will they? :/

Joqu

I call dips on Dusk Golem

Qbbg7U7.png

I must survive the great flames, clearly I have to eat our strongest poster to absorb his powers

I don't see how that happens unless they kill off Cooper tonight.

They won't kill Coop...will they? :/

There was an anime called Madoka Magica that was delayed for a month just before its penultimate episode, due to the 2011 tsunami and Fukushima disaster.

It didn't take long for madness to set in. By the month's end, half the thread had been banned and the other half were never the same again.

EdmondD

Oh, hey, it looks like the Experiment Model is playing with a little floating gold orb. Is that somebody's soul-ball, or just some kind of a supernatural fidget spinner?

7740aiM.gif
It's the new gold beyblade. Shit is lit.
I am going to remember this post for a week and a half from now when the TP OT is in flames, the posters have separated into cannibalistic tribes, and bans have started dropping.

Only the strongest will live to see the rest of the series.

I will feast on that sweet gaf garmonbozia.

traveler

Not Wario
Predicting 1 hour purely from the POV of Ike "The Spike"

All I'll say is if you love the new season and FWWM, you should take some time to check out his other stuff as well. I think this new season of TP could end up becoming Lynch's magnum opus, but his other films are something. Different people have different favorites, but the three most overall well received are Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead, and Blue Velvet. I'll also mention Mulholland Drive was originally supposed to be a Twin Peaks spin-off television series staring Audrey, but it ended up becoming its own thing and not a television show but a film. I kind of think some of the scrapped ideas for the spin-off have reared their head in the new season, but that's just speculation on my part. There's some stuff in the new season that feels very Mulholland Drive-esque.

Yeah, I'll check them out. I've heard Eraserhead inflicts some serious nightmares so I might shy away from that (although people have also said that about this season of twin peaks and I haven't been particularly disturbed or frightened by anything yet) but I'll definitely check out Mulholland Drive.

EdmondD

I like to think that Bob has really been a passenger in other bodies too. I mean, I'm not sure if Bob is really about the possession of people as it is more about being "with" someone, like a parasite just as Mike said when he was explaining what Bob is. I think when Bob said Leland has been a good vehicle and he had enjoyed the ride, he meant he has been a passenger there too. He is there for the rush of the ride.

Like Bob said in FWWM, he wants to taste through Laura's mouth. He is not the one who would do the eating, but as someone else does it for him, he tastes it. Spiritually it's Bob who feels the core of what punching people is all about, but physically it's someone else doing the punch.

I mean, I think that when Bob kills, it's not he who punches with the fist that is under his direct control. But he is there to move along with the punch and enjoying whatever is happening.

But of course as his influence is great, it's might as well be him who is doing the punches because people act on the influence, but then again I think people might have the power to resist it too, although it's extremely hard as it is with any addiction where habits and withdrawal symptoms and stuff like that is tough to resist, so it's not really him who is in complete control of the actions when people kill or do anything bad.

It could be that Bob really never "takes over."
Of course this season could prove me wrong at some point though.
But it's just that Lynch has always talked about Bob being with someone instead of saying he is in control or is possessing someone. I think the word "with" is very important in understanding what Bob is all about and I think it has always been about him being with someone rather than having taken over someone.

I think a large theme of TP and especially FWWM is how much was Bob and how much was Leland? Could Leland have fought off Bob? Laura fights off his possession several times. Leland was weak and there was a part of Leland that allowed Bob to do the things he did. A part of him wanted to do those things. Give in to his darkest desire and thoughts. Leland is also a victim of child abuse and he continues the cycle. It's an ugly cycle that happens when a victim of child abuse becomes the abuser. His abuse has tragically damaged him. I do believe Bob can completely possess you but he also seems content to be a passenger. Maybe he even gets off more on merely influencing people rather than directly controlling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom