• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

cucuchu

I suppose this episode negates BOB having been Mike's familiar. Perhaps it could still be the case. I'm interested to see how Mike fits into all of this now because he seems rather confused this season.

rhino4evr

Id argue that neither of those characters needed an origin, definitely not one that takes 55 minutes to explain lol. Yea it was cool and completely different from anything ive ever seen on TV but if it was only 20 minutes long I would have liked it alot more. Just wasnt my favorite episode by far and hope this season picks up in the second half.

My main hope is that now that Bad Coop was killed OG Coop can finally return. I know he sat up at the end of that scene, but there is no way he survived that.

I feel like I see this request after every episode. It's quite possible "OG Coop" is never coming back. At least not the way you've envisioned. Television/Movie is often predictable. It's so refreshing to watch something that completely flips the script on traditional story telling.

You have to ask yourself, if the reunion was just the same old characters rehashing nostalgic story beats, would the show be nearly as interesting?

PolishQ

It's in the last episode.

Yes! Also I just checked and it's in S2E19 as well, when Briggs is looking at the Owl Cave map in the Sheriff's Department.

We see a hooded figure (a woodsman?), a field of stars, an owl, and then the screen is filled with fire.

There's a surprising amount of consistency between the original show and the new one. They're not just pulling this stuff out of nowhere.

I suppose this episode negates BOB having been Mike's familiar. Perhaps it could still be the case. I'm interested to see how Mike fits into all of this now because he seems rather confused this season.

Maybe Philip Gerard was one of those people to listen to the radio and have those frogsects climb down his throat.

So did the nuclear bomb open up a rift between dimensions?

I think they can use energy (like the multiple cases of lodge inhabitants effecting/using electricity (like Coopers return)) as a bridge to Earth. I don't think the nuke opened the door for the first time, it just created enough energy for mother to take advantage of and create/send Bob.

Episode is pretty much about a Rift between dimensions opening up and Bob getting through along with the Woodsmen and something else that the Mother from the White Lodge sent that may or may not be Laura Palmer Jesus.

That's one sentence.

Wigdogger

That was really something, wasn't it? Loved it.

Dug the NIN performance and the bonkers fusion of all things Lynch in Act II and Act III of that episode. I love how he continues to find ways to astonish and frighten, especially with the absurdly dark and creepy vibe of the last 15 minutes.

The repetition from the Woodsman made that whole scene 10x better.

Think I should get my mom, who stopped watching the first season once weird stuff started happening, to watch it?

"Oh yeah mom totally! Cooper buys everyone donuts and Audrey comes back...and she marries Cooper! It's hilarious! Yeah yeah...just make you watch it all the way through there's a tiny weird part in the middle of it."

Slaythe

I feel like I see this request after every episode. It's quite possible "OG Coop" is never coming back. At least not the way you've envisioned. Television/Movie is often predictable. It's so refreshing to watch something that completely flips the script on traditional story telling.

You have to ask yourself, if the reunion was just the same old characters rehashing nostalgic story beats, would the show be nearly as interesting?

If Coop doesn't come back, just know that Lynch spoiled in his first interview after the premiere lol.

Vectorman

Banned
I'm sure you could do something in the vein of you at least seeing how the town and characters have been affected a bit more than what we are getting at the moment. The town has only felt like its only been in this season for like less than 1/4 of the episodes at the moment. I'm not asking this show to be the Force Awakens (that would be bad), but I'm also not going to just accept Lynch being Lynch without feeling a small bit of trepidation about the route that this story is being told. I mean Frost is having to write another book to explain all of this in detail when it might have been told to us onscreen. But again, I suppose we'll find out when this show ends.

-griffy-

Banned
Was the frog bug Bob, or something else? Cause it hatched out of an egg that looked like the other things the mother spewed out, not the larger dark sack that Bob was in?

Hey btw,
I don't get the Laura = Jesus connection..
Is it just because they both are symbols of purity? And Laura is seemingly sent as a vessel for 'good'?

Laura's story follows the corruption of her imbued purity.
I don't see her as a warrior against universal evil.

s_mirage

I can see people who even really enjoyed this season so far being turned off to be honest. I loved it personally, but yeah. If people thought the new season was pretty far removed from the original series and FWWM this has gone even further, I think.

Yeah, this episode was the first where I can honestly say I didn't really enjoy it. My inquisitiveness over what's coming next gave way to impatience. It wasn't so much the weirdness, it was the pace: it was leaden. Everything was so slow, combined with five pointless minutes of fucking Nine Inch Nails at the beginning of the episode, that it felt like half of the episode was padding. Plus, at this point there seem to be so many plot threads going on that I'm beginning to doubt that this is going to coalesce into anything satisfying.

The 50's stuff at the end was good, and it was intriguing when stuff with meaning was actually happening as opposed to the endless VFX, but many more episodes paced like that and it will lose me.

Levito

Banned
Was the frog bug Bob, or something else? Cause it hatched out of an egg that looked like the other things the mother spewed out, not the larger dark sack that Bob was in?

The bug was probably either Bob or Laura. As that egg hatching scene was right after the giant sent Laura to earth.

Vectorman

Banned
During the bomb sequence, I felt like I was watching a scene from Enter the Void or something. Just absurb long shots and crazy ass visuals. Anyone here watch that film?

Levito

Banned
Hey btw,
I don't follow the Laura = Jesus connection..
Is it just because they both are symbols of purity? And Laura is seemingly sent as a vessel for 'good'?

I think she's Bob's folly, but not a symbol of "purity". Did y'all forget that she was hard into drugs and treated almost everyone in her life terribly? lol

People are always trying to draw parallel's between Christianity and every big piece of fiction.

PolishQ

The bug was probably either Bob or Laura. As that egg hatching scene was right after the giant sent Laura to earth.

When the glass box monster expels that stream of junk, we see Bob's black blob as well as many speckled eggs.

11 years later, we see one of these speckled eggs hatch in the desert. So I don't think the bug frog is Bob (although I did initally).

The Secret History book heavily implies that Laura's golden orb arriving on earth was the Roswell "UFO crash". And that happened in 1947. So I don't think the bug frog is Laura, either.

I think the bug frog is the thing Evil Coop is searching for.

1495822525-playing-card-part-2.jpg

cucuchu

I would assume BOB is the frog-insect that crawled into the girl's mouth because the lumberjack put everyone to sleep. The lumberjack entities appear to be connected to BOB somehow.

I think she's Bob's folly, but not a symbol of "purity". Did y'all forget that she was hard into drugs and treated almost everyone in her life terribly? lol

People are always trying to draw parallel's between Christianity and every big piece of fiction.

Oh no I get that, but I don't think the Tragedy of Laura Palmer begins with Bob, but rather with the way she allowed her life to derail.

The whole episode reminded me of William S. Burroughs' take on the atom bomb. "Soul killer" he called it. My theory is the electromagnetic disturbance destroyed lingering souls in the desert of New Mexico, creating a sort of vacancy that allowed the Black Lodge to fill with evil spirits. The White Lodge, alerted to the disturbance too late, was only able to send a single entity of beauty and benevolence; the soul of Laura Palmer. What we can take from this is that Laura is not just your average prom queen beloved by the small town of Twin Peaks. She is a deliberate response from the White Lodge to counteract the growing evil in the world. The fact that she succumbed to the influences of those evil forces and how she is supposed to confront them from the beyond is the question that lingers in my mind. It's gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. Great episode.

munchie64

I don't know how I feel about that one.

I mean I enjoyed the hell of it watching, a very good trip indeed.

But in the context of the show, I'm gonna have to wait and see where it fits.

Levito

Banned
How in the hell could the bug be Laura? What would that mean?

When they lady held the golden orb, Laura's face was in it. It gets sent to earth, then shortly after is the bug hatching scene. IT's probably Bob but I get why some might think it was Laura.(I mean just thematically making Laura a bug seems unfitting lol)

The entire crux of this story from the very beginning has been Laura's death and how Bob tormented her in general. In FWIW, Bob's plan all along was to posses her for whatever reason, when she got the green ring that prevented that from happening, Bob(Leland) killed her.

Levito

Banned
When the glass box monster expels that stream of junk, we see Bob's black blob as well as many speckled eggs.

11 years later, we see one of these speckled eggs hatch in the desert. So I don't think the bug frog is Bob (although I did initally).

The Secret History book heavily implies that Laura's golden orb arriving on earth was the Roswell "UFO crash". And that happened in 1947. So I don't think the bug frog is Laura, either.

I think the bug frog is the thing Evil Coop is searching for.

Great point. I'm blanking right now but what is that picture you linked to from??

Obscura

I would assume BOB is the frog-insect that crawled into the girl's mouth because the lumberjack put everyone to sleep. The lumberjack entities appear to be connected to BOB somehow.

That's what I assumed at first but there's a problem.

When Babalon vomits/"speaks" the stream into existence we see numerous white, oblong eggs. Then we see the black, round egg/sack holding BOB.The egg that hatches in the desert is one of those numerous white eggs. So if that is BOB then Lynch and co. really fucked up in representing it adequately.

Edit: beaten by polishQ. Question though, if you see this. Are you assuming Babalon is the glass box monster or is there evidence for that? They look different enough (based on my recollection. Haven't gone back to check) for me to assume they are two different entities.

Dalek

LOL I was just about to post this.

What was the Got A Light? guy saying into the radio mic at the end?

It was some sort of code that caused everyone listening to it to fall asleep-giving the bug a chance to crawl into a host's mouth.

That's what I assumed at first but there's a problem.

When Babalon vomits/"speaks" the stream into existence we see numerous white, oblong eggs. Then we see the black, round egg/sack holding BOB.The egg that hatches in the desert is one of those numerous white eggs. So if that is BOB then Lynch and co. really fucked up in representing it adequately.

And yeah-this bothers me too.

Vectorman

Banned
Straight up occurred to me that we have yet to see James again. I thought Lynch put words in an actress' mouth stating that he was always the coolest like it meant something going forward lol. Like are the Bookhouse Boys still around or what? Also Jennifer Jason Leigh as Chantal is coming back right? Right?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm still not sure about the bug being Bob or Laura. I'm thinking neither as well.

It's still a tragedy how they got pressured into solving the Laura case by the network. Just imagine what could've been, structure and story wise if they were allowed to proceed with their true vision.

Edit:
The whole episode reminded me of William S. Burroughs' take on the atom bomb. Soul killer, he called it. My theory is the electromagnetic disturbance destroyed lingering souls in the desert of New Mexico, creating a sort of vacancy that allowed the Black Lodge to fill with evil spirits. The White Lodge, alerted to the disturbance too late, was only able to send a single entity of beauty and benevolence; the soul of Lara Palmer. What we can take from this is that Lara is not just your average prom queen beloved by the small town of Twin Peaks. She is a deliberate response from the White Lodge to counteract the growing evil in the world. The fact that she succumbed to the influences of those evil forces and how she is supposed to confront them from the beyond is the question that lingers in my mind. It's gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. Great episode.
Nice connection with the song and I like this take on it.

Dalek

Straight up occurred to me that we have yet to see James again. I thought Lynch put words in an actress' mouth stating that he was always the coolest like it meant something going forward lol. Like are the Bookhouse Boys still around or what? Also Jennifer Jason Leigh as Chantal is coming back right? Right?

I think at this point we can pretty much assume the characters from the old show for the most part are going to have very small roles in this series. I thought we would have seen more of Bobby by now, considering he is at the police station.

Futureman

I think at this point we can pretty much assume the characters from the old show for the most part are going to have very small roles in this series. I thought we would have seen more of Bobby by now, considering he is at the police station.

Lots of interesting characters with limited screen time so far. Like the principal from the first two episodes who is arrested.

I think another facet of the issue with last night's episode is that it's the first time we're experiencing the Lodge directly, and not from another character's point of view.

If we were experiencing this through Cooper, the references to characters like Laura wouldn't have seemed so hokey and jarring, as it's possible that only he was seeing them. This is why Briggs' head floating through space wasn't a point of criticism, but Laura's face appearing in the 1940s flashback was.

Also confusing: Why does the Lodge place so much importance on BOB? The Woodsman can waltz around crushing peoples' heads left and right. I guess he probably doesn't have that freedom further from the blast site, but still.

Ashby

I think another facet of the issue with last night's episode is that it's the first time we're experiencing the Lodge directly, and not from another character's point of view.

If we were experiencing this through Cooper, the references to characters like Laura wouldn't have seemed so hokey and jarring, as it's possible that only he is seeing them. This is why Briggs' head floating through space wasn't a point of criticism, but Laura's face appearing in the 1940s flashback was.

Also confusing: Why does the Lodge place so much importance on BOB? The Woodsman can waltz around crushing peoples' heads left and right.

Woodsman probably can't harvest garmonbozia

Levito

Banned

I've gotta be honest... I don't think it's a coincidence that the better/more experienced actors (returning or new) are getting the most screen time. As much as we all love Twin Peaks, the standard for acting on television is a MUCH higher bar than it was in 1991.

I wonder if they just saw the atomic blast and were like "Yup, there's going to be a lot of fear and suffering there, let's feast."

Here's my worthless speculation.

What if the events that were depicted last night past the NiN concert are never referenced in the rest of the series in any capacity?

Joohanh

A couple of pages back somebody mentioned a clock ticking on this show, which is pretty much how I feel. I really like watching these episodes, yet I feel like time is getting wasted. It's time subtracted from the time we have left with this show. Is it REALLY necessary to have Dougie do the same shit for what must now total around two hours? Are all the subplots important, especially as it now seems there is no way all of them will be brought to conclusions?

The show is great - but the fact that it's made by geniuses doesn't mean it has no flaws.

Vectorman

Banned
I've gotta be honest... I don't think it's a coincidence that the better/more experienced actors (returning or new) are getting the most screen time. As much as we all love Twin Peaks, the standard for acting on television is a MUCH higher bar than it was in 1991.
I wouldn't pin it on that. It's more like Lynch is just doing his own thing that doesn't involve a majority of the old cast.

PolishQ

A couple of pages back somebody mentioned a clock ticking on this show, which is pretty much how I feel. I really like watching these episodes, yet I feel like time is getting wasted. It's time subtracted from the time we have left with this show. Is it REALLY necessary to have Dougie do the same shit for what must now total around two hours? Are all the subplots important, especially as it now seems there is no way all of them will be brought to conclusions?

The show is great - but the fact that it's made by geniuses doesn't mean it has no flaws.

If the show was just about plot, I could maybe agree with you. But I trust that the Dougie material is essential to the underlying meaning of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom