• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolishQ

Yea there was enough distinction to lead to believe 2 separate entities. Can't wait to find out more or continue the speculation madness.
Typically when something lays eggs, they grow up to be the same species as the parent. Maybe the bug frog is a larval version of a new "Mother" ?

Am I the only one thinking that the girl who eats the bug looks a lot like Nadine?

She mentioned she was 35 in the last episode of the original run. Too young.

EDIT: Actually, the bug eating scene takes place in 1957 right?

I guess it's plausible. But probably not.

EDIT 2: I didn't factor in that she was already a teenager. I'm an idiot.

DJ Gunner

The most boring thing this season could've been was just a nostalgia trip like any of the Netflix show revivals have been. After the end of season 2, the idea of Coop just immediately coming back and talking about pie and coffee and all the quirky stuff from seasons 1+2 would've been a bit phony.

I like that this is wild, unpredictable, and not a safe bet.

There's a limitless amount of possibilities that could have stayed far more true to the original atmosphere and remained very interesting and compelling. In fact, I'd argue that we've seen at least 30-45 minutes of that so far.

"If it wasn't exactly this, it would suck!" is being ridiculously dismissive of the original fabric.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Typically when something lays eggs, they grow up to be the same species as the parent. Maybe the bug frog is a larval version of a new "Mother" ?
I like this theory better than Bob being the bug. The "Mother" incarnate who gives birth to ___ entities w/out the need of an atom bomb.

Chumley

Banned
This is inaccurate.

It would be the bookhouse boys theme.

tumblr_m4ygi4YELc1rownjy.gif

cucuchu

Might of been mentioned before but I just noticed that during the end credits that JUST as the 'lumberjack' fades away after walking into the darkness, you can hear a horse for about 5 or 6 seconds.

Pusherman

My God... I have never been this much into a show before. This is the weirdest and most captivating shit I have ever seen. I cannot believe this is actually on TV.

Levito

Banned
There's a limitless amount of possibilities that could have stayed far more true to the original atmosphere and remained very interesting and compelling. In fact, I'd argue that we've seen at least 30-45 minutes of that so far.

"If it wasn't exactly this, it would suck!" is being ridiculously dismissive of the original fabric.

That isn't what I said. I said if it was just a nostalgia wank it would've been boring. Cooper went into the black lodge and witnessed all kinds of hell, things were not going to be the same after that episode, it was Lynch trying to fix the show.

I think any Twin Peaks fan that's being honest with themselves knows the second season gets beyond terrible at points. All that shit with James going to the other town and Nadine thinking she's a teenager with super strength for some reason?? Boy this new season ain't got shit on Donna being the daughter of Ben Horne like that matters. *rolls eyes*

And what funny about that is the show's plummet in quality was BECAUSE the network caved to fans desires, because people wanted to know who killed Laura Palmer even though revealing that went against what the point of the opening was: Laura's death was a means to introduce the audience to the characters and world.

So yeah I do find it fairly ironic that some fans wanted this revival to be x/y/z when the whole reason the show was nearly ruined was cause CBS caved to fans. Fans don't always know what they want.

Vectorman

Banned

I think that TP-GAF is alot more forgiving when it comes to Season 3 than if it had come back a little after FWWM. Remember people walked out of that film. It was panned except in Japan. Even now, people still debate on the brillance and/or craziness behind that film. I think 25 years definitely helped dull the shortcomings of that film but now Lynch is definitely decided to double down on testing his TP audience even further with this season. And I'm not quite sure that was the right course but I'm hanging on still because I like Lynch. Just not when he does TP I guess.

Maligna

Banned

I don't get this either. Why don't people think it can be in the same tone as the original show and still be good? Do they have no faith in Lynch/Frost to be able to make something just a little more accessible than this?

I'm deeply disappointed with the most recent episode. And it sucks because part 7 was so good.

Vectorman

Banned
So yeah I do find it fairly ironic that some fans wanted this revival to be x/y/z when the whole reason the show was nearly ruined was cause CBS caved to fans. Fans don't always know what they want.

So people should have just been up for Fire Walk With Me back in the 90s, right? Because it was all Lynch if I recall. Or did the TP audience back then just 'not get it'? I think you're giving Lynch way too much leeway for why people wanted for him to return to the show.

PolishQ

I would have to check the dates, but I believe she was born and stayed in the Twin Peaks area according to "Secret History."

I believe that's true, yeah.

If it's a character we already know, I'd say Sarah Palmer or Betty Briggs.

She could also be "Judy".

Levito

Banned
So people should have just been up for Fire Walk With Me back in the 90s, right? Or did they just 'not get it'?

What are you even talking about? I never said anyone didn't get it. I didn't mention FWWM.

Conversely, am I supposed to be down with James having a side story with some lady from another town that has literally nothing to do with the rest of the show?

I don't get this either. Why don't people think it can in the same tone as the original show and still be good? Do they have no faith in Lynch/Frost to be able to make something just a little more accessible than this?

I'm deeply disappointed with the most recent episode. And it sucks because part 7 was so good.

Why is it so hard to understand Lynch/Frost don't want to do that and you have no right to make them do that?

It's not a matter of faith. They don't want to make the show you want them to. If you want that story you are going to have to do it yourself.

Given the last episode of the original run; it would feel odd to me if this return was not hugely divergent. They opened up a big can of worms that implied extremely powerful forces at play.

It's likely that the grove is the natural gateway between worlds and technology (h-bomb, the NYC machine, etc.) is opening up potentially dangerous gateways outside of TP. Or that there are many entrances around the world. Or even more lodges/alternate dimensions.

I have a feeling next week we get back Dale and things start to accelerate. But I also think that things are going to get much wilder and more apocalyptic. At this point, I expect the finale to not work out well for humanity at all.

Vectorman

Banned
What are you even talking about? I never said anyone didn't get it. I didn't mention FWWM.

Conversely, am I supposed to be down with James having a side story with some lady from another town that has literally nothing to do with the rest of the show?

At least that subplot ended and was only like 10 mins an episode compared to the 5 mins of broom-sweeping that we've had to see. I'm just saying that perhaps maybe, just maybe, Lynch being surreal all the time is maybe a case of too much of a good thing and you get sick of it.

Pusherman

Watching this show reminds of watching this weird Dutch educational show called Ik Mik Loreland as a small child. I'm amazed I can still feel this kind of wonderment as a cynical adult.

Maligna

Banned
Why is it so hard to understand Lynch/Frost don't want to do that and you have no right to make them do that?

It's not a matter of faith. They don't want to make the show you want them to. If you want that story you are going to have to do it yourself.

I'm not going to make them do anything, but if we're discussing our feelings on this here public forum, that's mine. (Even though I know it's not welcome and it seems Lynch can do no wrong in some people's eyes)

Levito

Banned
At least that subplot ended and was only like 10 mins an episode compared to the 5 mins of broom-sweeping that we've had to see.

It was several episodes spanning and was only one of a few terrible sub plots. The show went from soap opera parody to just a soap opera. Season 2 is a mess, again cause fans thought they wanted something, and that caved killed the series.

You keep putting words in people's mouths re: criticism, take it down a notch with that and the general defensiveness. Not everyone has to like it, and that's fine.

Charamiwa

Banned
Ha I remember an article earlier this year saying that Twin Peaks in this day and age wouldn't be interesting because shows like Legion were doing weird better already.

I wonder what this guy thought of last night's episode.

Slaythe

I'm really happy about this.

Not that "it matters" and the season has a lot of flaws, and a lot of qualities, but I'm glad something like this worked out.

Usually it's a make or break situation for many shows.

I think here, the brilliance of some of the sequences allowed most people to stay on board despite the cryptic scenes in the middle.

The budget spent on the episode also helped greatly to take it seriously.

The same episode with floating PNGs wouldn't quite work.

PolishQ

Oh hey, remember when Dougie got pulled into the Lodge and this happened?

Looks suspiciously similar to the speckled egg that birthed the bug frog, doesn't it? But then the Black Lodge destroyed it.

HMMMMMM

TeddyBoy

I didn't realise the frog was Bob but otherwise I just really didn't like this episode at all.

I know it's helped establish a lot of lore but I wanted to see Twin Peaks and/or Cooper, not some surrounding lore that isn't required for most watchers of the show.

Vectorman

Banned
It was several episodes spanning and was only one of a few terrible sub plots. The show went from soap opera parody to just a soap opera. Season 2 is a mess, again cause fans thought they wanted something, and that caved killed the series.

Agreed. Still doesn't help FWWM's case or this season's either. This is now the polar opposite of that issue. Don't you at least think season 1 balanced that better than any of FWWM, S2, or the Return. If not, I think you prefer Lynch's other work, which is great! I do love his other stuff as well. But when you are watching with others that come from the mindset of liking TP but not Lynch's other works, you cannot help but feel for them but again, this is Lynch's wild ride and I will see to it to the end. At least a good portion of folks online are liking it. Maybe someone from TP will win an Emmy or something. Who knows. It's the double-edged sword that is art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom