• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

So I finally sat down and watched the entire Missing Pieces before Sunday's show and wow.

So much good stuff got cut. Here is is:

https://youtu.be/GqoGGNoETd8

Lotta cut Coop. Lotta cut Bowie.

I think this is overselling how "normal" Twin Peaks was as a show when it originally aired. The character driven moments of season 1 aren't just meant to be a quirky, cozy American comedy/drama - there's a real cynicism at its core. Twin Peaks was a send-up of popular TV and the American idealism of the 1980s. Cooper represents this almost explicitly: a seemingly unflappable, cheerful do-gooder ends the original run of the series falling prey to his dark side. Relative to what was on TV at the time, the Twin Peaks of then was not that much less weirder, relatively, than Twin Peaks: The Return is to us now.

Think about how much darker television has gotten since 1991; think about how much darker our collective perception of the world has gotten. I hate to trot out such an obvious critical cliche, but consider that this is Twin Peaks post 9/11, and all the sea changes that have occurred in American media since then. Original Twin Peaks was weird shit dressed up as the popular TV of that era. New Twin Peaks is weird shit dressed up as what TV looks like in 2017, which means people being awful to one another, graphic violence, uncompromising bleakness, etc. The Dougie sequences almost feel like a joke aimed directly at people who mostly remember and desire Twin Peaks for its domestic humor and setting. Bringing this series back with the same tone as the original would have probably felt about as authentic as Dougie's world does compared to the darkness of the rest of this season so far.

Even so, as character driven as OG Twin Peaks was, I think decades of cultural memes have kind of buried just how surreal and dark it was at the time too. For every chipper scene with Cooper eating pie, there are dozens of graphic (for 1991) depictions of domestic violence, sexual abuse, drug use, murder, and abject horror. I'm not disagreeing with you specifically so much here, but I do think that a lot of fan expectations were misplaced to begin with. Everything easily lovable about Twin Peaks has always been a relatively thin veneer over the top of ugly realities. Many of the characters were vehicles for jokes and criticisms of the cultural landscape of TV at the time.

This is one of the best takes on the two series that I've read. Bravo!

Can't get this episode out of my head. I never imagined that a Twin Peaks revival would bring the kind of imagery we've gotten over the course of these 8 episodes, much less something on the scale of what we got last night. I feel for the fans who just want them to shut up and play the hits, but this is captivating television IMO, as radical for the time as Twin Peaks was in its original run. The Giant spawning the gold orb is such an intensely beautiful scene, on the level with some of Lynch's best surreal set pieces.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Can't get this episode out of my head. I never imagined that a Twin Peaks revival would bring the kind of imagery we've gotten over the course of these 8 episodes, much less something on the scale of what we got last night. I feel for the fans who just want them to shut up and play the hits, but this is captivating television IMO, as radical for the time as Twin Peaks was in its original run. The Giant spawning the gold orb is such an intensely beautiful scene, on the level with some of Lynch's best surreal set pieces.

Is the music during the scene by Angelo Badalamenti? Cause it was amazing.

There was literally a soap opera in Twin Peaks called "Invitation To Love" and the characters in it mirrored the characters in Twin Peaks. It was really over the top and deliberate, friend. lol

It's both a soap opera and a commentary / satire of soap operas.

Like how Scream is both a slasher movie, and a commentary / satire of slasher movies.

The two aren't as mutually exclusive as you might think. The original series poked fun at soap operas, but clearly still liked them.

And Lynch continually makes art that works simultaneously as multiple things.

People were arguing that the kid getting run over was played for laughs, and other people were horrified at even the concept of someone laughing at that moment. But it's both horrifying and tragic and funny at the same time. That's the space Lynch plays in.

This show is both a continuation of Twin Peaks and something completely different, simultaneously.

Has this track been released yet? I know there was talk earlier of a playlist getting updated as the different parts aired...

So, the score isn't releasing in that fashion. The soundtrack album with the songs from the show hasn't updated since they added Trouble from episode 5. Hopefully it'll update again soon though.

Necron

So, I guess I should finally watch Eraserhead.

giphy.gif
Yes

It's still perfectly possible they weren't intentional.

Some of them maybe, like the car explosion, but CGI studios don't create effects that look like some of the rudimentary ones used in this season at any budget. A half decent youtuber could probably produce a more realistic "man falling through space" effect using a greenscreen and a stock video file, that's basic stuff that if Lynch wanted to look more "normal", he could have. I feel like if Lynch has an image in mind he feels he can have some practical input with, he'll do it. A lot of the simpler effects have an almost handcrafted look to them that unintentionally bad CGI in 2017 doesn't really resemble.

The fuck did I just watch
What

Call for help maybe?

My first post in this thread btw^^
I haven't watched the new episode yet but I will tomorrow. I just read some of the impressions and omg ...I can't wait. The whole season is great so far. AMAZING. I'm so happy this exists. There is nothing on television like this. Just like 25 years ago. And yes...I feel old :/

We have to wait two weeks now, right? This is gonna be painful, wow.

Farmboy

Honestly, who in their wildest dreams (or nightmares) could have predicted season 3 would turn out this good? Lynch is shattering expectations in every way.

Came across a tweet I liked that sums it up:

@gemko said:
“No one man should have all that power.”
WRONG WE FOUND THE MAN WHO SHOULD AND GAVE HIM 18 CARTE BLANCHE HOURS.

I know most of us have been attesting Cooper's "Dougie" state to the fact that his doppleganger is sharing his "bandwidth" so to speak but could part of it be that when Cooper was reinserted into the world from the Black Lodge, that there wasn't enough energy to really transmit him? He did come through an outlet if I remember correctly.

I could see myself coming around on this episode if a few things end up being true.

1. It's not Laura in the dragonball, but merely her picture as a premonition and a symbol of Twin Peaks itself. Senorita Dido smiled because she thought it was a nice picture, not because Laura is a Chosen One. The Lodges seem to exist outside of time, so this isn't too crazy.

and

2. That dragonball allowed the Giant to manifest in Twin Peaks, and isn't actually tied to Laura or the doppelgangers or anything else silly.

and

3. All this stuff about Babylon ends up being BS. The MOTHER isn't a god, just some mindless being that acts as a passageway for otherworldly beings. She didn't birth BOB or the other Lodge revenants, she just allowed them to enter this plane of existence.

The further we get from any possibility of this being a preordained struggle between Lodge gods and midichlorian-Jesus Laura Palmer, the better.

Maligna

Banned

The ties between Patton and Lynch run deeper than just that. You can tell he's a big fan.
At least two songs from Mr. Bungle's first album have audio from Blue Velvet:

Squeeze Me Macaroni has Frank Booth complaining about warm beer making him, "Fuckin puke" (4:40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx9oaA1A50M&feature=youtu.be&t=4m40s

Stubb (A dub) has the audio of Kyle MacLaughlin crying in his room as he remembers smacking around Dorothy Valens. (6:29)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE7QVDnzwJw&feature=youtu.be&t=6m29s

With these and the really great Fire Walk with Me cover he did, I really feel like he'd love a chance to work with Lynch. Very sad he hasn't yet.

jett

D-Member
So Laura Palmer is supposed to be Jesus? She came to Earth to suffer and die for our sins? How does this backstory dump make sense with the events of Laura's life?

What's the deal with "Experiment" in the glass box? Is it set loose on Earth? Is this the creature some of you keep calling mother? Same thing that birthed Bob? Why would anyone want to summon this thing.

So weird trying to piece the weirdness together.

It wouldnt surprise me if the Mother thing ends uo being Babylon. There a lot of occult references here. The Black Lodge, White Lodge, Mauve Zone, the Jack Parsons stuff in Secret History. The difference being if we look at that material Babylon isnt really evil and they would spell her name BABALON.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm really happy about this.

Not that "it matters" and the season has a lot of flaws, and a lot of qualities, but I'm glad something like this worked out.

Usually it's a make or break situation for many shows.

I think here, the brilliance of some of the sequences allowed most people to stay on board despite the cryptic scenes in the middle.

The budget spent on the episode also helped greatly to take it seriously.

The same episode with floating PNGs wouldn't quite work.

I'm in a similar position,but I'm happy I live in a reality where Twin Peaks came back after 25 years, I was here to watch it all come live, and it turned out to be this.

I LOVE the original series, don't get me wrong. And in some way I can understand people who wish this season was more like that. But I also love what this new season is, and I love this sort of thing also exists in the same world as the old series. But I am in the loving the new season crowd.

HoJu

So Laura Palmer is supposed to be Jesus? She came to Earth to suffer and die for our sins? How does this backstory dump make sense with the events of Laura's life?

What's the deal with "Experiment" in the glass box? Is it set loose on Earth? Is this the creature some of you keep calling mother? Same thing that birthed Bob? Why would anyone want to summon this thing.

Mother is the thing that was banging on the door in the third episode when Cooper was in the purple place with the blind woman. I guess it followed Cooper from the black lodge to the glass box to the purple place

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

I don't see her as a Jesus absolving humanity of their sins, but simply the antithesis of Bob. Maintaining some semblance of balance, confronting and dealing with Bob on some level, especially with her guiding Coop. There is a bit of martyrdom involved though lol

PolishQ

Mother is the thing that was banging on the door in the third episode when Cooper was in the purple place with the blind woman. I guess it followed Cooper from the black lodge to the glass box to the purple place

We've been calling the glass box monster "Mother" but now I think the American Girl's "Mother" could be Senorita Dido (the Giant's spouse(?)).

HoJu

I don't see her as a Jesus absolving humanity of their sins, but simply the antithesis of Bob. Maintaining some semblance of balance, confronting an and dealing with Bob on some level, especially with her guiding Coop.

Well the picture in the gold orb wasn't just any picture, it was the one to memorialize her after she died. It's only because she died that it had any influence. So I think she was supposed to die. Maybe I'm thinking too much into why they chose that picture though idk

jett

D-Member
huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

Why are you calling it mother though? I think the credits name it "Experiment."
I don't see her as a Jesus absolving humanity of their sins, but simply the antithesis of Bob. Maintaining some semblance of balance, confronting and dealing with Bob on some level, especially with her guiding Coop. There is a bit of martyrdom involved though lol

Well it was more of a joke, since all Laura has done in this show is suffer and die. :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Had a heart pounding dream last night. Mundane in parts but there was a sort terrifying sequence where all the doors in an off white colored kitchen started closing by themselves. None of the doors had knobs from the inside out. Was jolted awake when the last door closed on me before I could get out. Had that same sort of creeping dread you'd get with those Lynch slow zooms.

I don't have nightmares that often. Last nights episode triggered me.

I actually had a weird David Lynch dream last night too, but not in the way I expected. It sounds so dumb, I expected to have a dream about what I saw, and I kind of did but it was a dream of for some reason I was hanging out with David Lynch, he didn't know me and was busy working on something and I'm trying to tell him how he's effected me but he doesn't want to hear it and then just gives me life advice as he's doing his thing and working away at something. And then I had to go to the bathroom and I woke up as I actually had to go to the bathroom.

That's at least all I remember from the dream. The first time I recall having Lynch ever in my dreams as it were.

Big One

Banned
I don't think the light ball was actually Laura Palmer herself, but rather a power ol sorts given to the people of Earth that uses Laura Palmer as a catalyst for Bob's demise. It's already being setup in this season as is. The denizens of the Black Lodge no longer have any desire to cause trouble in our world and is trying to bring Bob back with them, and Bob is fighting this by housing himself in Mr. C. The girl that looks like Laura Palmer might be a representation of that very idea, in that she isn't actually Laura Palmer but a being/power that exists to counter Bob.

Dizzy-4U

The "got a light?" guy is the ghost that was in the prison cell in the second episode, right? He possesed the school principal and murdered that woman?

jett

D-Member
Something I think a lot of people aren't getting when they try to rationalize the disappointment of old fans if that Twin Peaks used to be a character-driven show. One of the things that made Twin Peaks so successful and influential was it's extremely strong characterization.

You were following the characters in Twin Peaks. The lore and the mystery were the backdrop that occasionally reached from the background and gave you a good shake. But first and foremost, Twin Peaks was about the dramatic lives and intersections of a whole town's worth of characters.

Even the season two finale, which people say is the show's weirdest, was character driven. Hawk warned Cooper he has to face his shadow self with perfect courage. Cooper goes in alone to save Annie and a vigilant Harry waits outside for hours. Andy, knowing what is going on over his head, tends to Harry by offering him breakfast rather than ask what's going on. In the meantime, Benjamin Horne is confessing to Donna that he's his biological father. Doc Hayward, in a break from character, reacts violently and throws him into the fireplace while Donna sobs and screams about her paternity. The onus is on Donna's mother for the first time, an inconspicuous character, who suddenly is shaded with a history of betrayal. Audrey Horne chains herself to a bank vault to protest her father's development, Pete and Thomas detonate a bomb, and Leo is trapped beneath a spider cage in Windom Earle's hideout.

The hugest and most palpable difference is that old Twin Peaks focused on people and characters and relationships. It was about what made them hurt and what made them scared and what made them cry. We saw deep into their hearts and souls and cared for them. And when crazy inter-dimensional travel happened, it was still about them. It was still about them and what they wanted and how it was going to affect everyone around them.

New Twin Peaks is not like that at all. We don't get to know any characters. Characters rarely make appearances in consecutive episodes. They don't have deep conversations. Dougie is literally a non-character. That's how polar opposite the show is. The show's protagonist is a vegetable who cannot think, barely feels, and cannot actualize any individual motivation.

The old show had so many funny and charming character moments. It was so quotable. Season 3 has no fish in the percolators.

The reason the new show is leaving me cold and disappointed constantly is because there is no heart to it anymore. It is completely devoid of emotion. There are rare scenes with Albert and Gordon, or Gordon and Denise, but everything else is pure surface-level fuckery based on the lore and no characters.

When every single character you meet is presented as an enigmatic question mark, you can't feel compassion and interest in them. They become set pieces and props for a cosmic mystery. We are regularly meeting people we've never met before and then saying goodbye. Because they don't matter. Only the faceless space demon matters.

I was on board for all manner of twisted ambiguity. I was not on board for an eighteen hour movie with no protagonist.

People laughed, but for me, the best scene of the show is when Bobby sees Laura's picture and cries. Because I know Bobby. I know what he's been through and how Laura affected him. I know why it hurts him and how it takes him back to a person he isn't anymore. We meet Bobby grown up, but that scene makes him a teenager again and it's really sad. Laura Palmer casts a long shadow.

Bizarre trips through the atom bomb, scenes totally detached from character and location, do not make me happy the show came back.

I am trying not to jump the gun. There's still a lot of show left. We'll see how it comes together. But right now, I am perpetually disappointed. No more buddy drama. No more silly side antics. No more love stories. No more character study. Just... something else.

I enjoy this show on some level, but this is on point. There have been charming character moments peppered throughout the season, but it's been a whole lot of weirdness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom