• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't understand the criticism of "this doesn't feel like twin peaks."

Did you really want a fan service rehash of season 1?

Did you really want Cooper to go to Twin Peaks again to investigate another murder?

I'm sorry, but that has been done, and you can rewatch those classic episodes over and over again until your heart is content. But I, for one, wanted something different. I wanted Lynch to use where the show left off as a springboard for more story and background. It makes so much sense to increase the scale of the show.

What an intellectually dishonest statement to present an absurd binary choice like this. That these were the only two options going forward.

Yes, you're right. We all just wanted a scene by scene re-enactment of season 1 just 25 years later. That was what we were yearning for all this time.

I really don't understand the criticism of "this doesn't feel like twin peaks."

Did you really want a fan service rehash of season 1?

Did you really want Cooper to go to Twin Peaks again to investigate another murder?

I'm sorry, but that has been done, and you can rewatch those classic episodes over and over again until your heart is content. But I, for one, wanted something different. I wanted Lynch to use where the show left off as a springboard for more story and background. It makes so much sense to increase the scale of the show.

I don't have a whole lot of attachment to the original series since I loathed 80% of it, but I can empathize with the people who are upset about the direction this season has gone.

Nothing in the original series put the story on a trajectory towards cosmic war between ancient aliens with one side using Laura Christ as a divine savior created in the 1940s.

The evil in Twin Peaks came from the darkness in the woods. It was "a place both wonderful and strange." This episode really diminished the wonder and strangeness of Twin Peaks, since apparently New Mexico is the truly special place where everything came from.

Personally, this isn't a huge deal to me, but it's easy to see why other people would be bothered by the intimacy of the original series being retroactively eroded.

I could get behind that but after rewatching the episode, the music playing during the atom bomb scene was perfect in that it was downright horrifying and gave a sense of terrifying awe to the explosion as the camera slowly panned in. Such juxtaposition with the calming melody heard when the Giant gives birth to....whatever the hell that golden orb is meant to be.

According to my cable box's subtitles the music used for the scene is appropriately horrific considering the nature of the Trinity tests, and what it would lead to.
Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima.

MisterR

That was the most amazing hour of television I've ever seen. We don't even get films with that kind of ambition and artistry since Kubrick died. Enjoy it folks. There will probably never be anything like this on tv again anytime soon.

MisterR

What an intellectually dishonest statement to present an absurd binary choice like this. That these were the only two options going forward.

Yes, you're right. We all just wanted a scene by scene re-enactment of season 1 just 25 years later. That was what we were yearning for all this time.

You're really missing out on some amazing stuff, worrying about fan service.

fenners

Seeing all the amazing speculation in this thread, the conversations about the minutiae and the various aspects of cinematography just reinforces how special this season is. Bear witness y'all.

This is how it was for the original show!

alt.tv.twin-peaks
The much shared FAQ from there along with the annotated episode guide!
BBS
Wrapped In Plastic.

We all talked. Just in formats with delays compared to now.

I don't even like the NIN but I enjoyed that performance.
Same

Though I will say, it could've used something else to go with it

Obviously it would take away from the sheer bleak mindfuckiness of it but like....put the whole bomb footage thing under it

At a certain point it definitely just felt like a Late Night performance

Chumley

Banned
Bob was created by humans. We did this.

"You know who killed Laura Palmer? We all did!" -- Bobby Briggs

That's what makes FWWM so powerful. All of the BOB stuff is basically a metaphysical representation of the bad inner instincts in men. Leland was a weak piece of shit who wanted an excuse to get rid of the responsibilities in his life, and that's where BOB came in. Lynch understands human beings.

You're really missing out on some amazing stuff, worrying about fan service.

There is space between "Cherry pie LOL :DDD muh coffee" and "alright so Laura is The Chosen One who is destined to bring balance to the Force in the eternal war against Lord Xenu". Ya'll need to stop with these disingenuous "fanservice" comments.

MisterR

There is space between "Cherry pie LOL :DDD muh coffee" and "alright so Laura is The Chosen One who is destined to bring balance to the Force in the eternal war against Lord Xenu". Ya'll need to stop with these disingenuous "fanservice" comments.

Sorry it's not what you're looking for, but it's amazing television and your take on it is obviously pretty silly.

Omadahl

Banned
As someone who enjoyed the original series and hasn't read the handbook, is there a place I can go to find out what the hell just happened in episode 8?

MisterR

As someone who enjoyed the original series and hasn't read the handbook, is there a place I can go to find out what the hell just happened in episode 8?

The evil actions of men, the creation of the atom bomb lead to the "birth" of Bob and created a way to let more evil into the world.

From reddit:

QsF2l2b.jpg

I really need to get myself a copy of Secret History.

This show is 10000% Lynch. I love it. I haven't seen him use visuals like these since Eraserhead. I love that he convinced somebody to give him money to make these episodes.

It's definitely still Twin Peaks, but I think Lynch's idea of what he wanted to do with Twin Peaks changed around the end of S2, leading into FWWM. I'm glad he hasn't just made a new season for the purpose of giving the people what they want, so to speak.

DJ Gunner

I don't have a whole lot of attachment to the original series since I loathed 80% of it, but I can empathize with the people who are upset about the direction this season has gone.

Nothing in the original series put the story on a trajectory towards cosmic war between ancient aliens with one side using Laura Christ as a divine savior created in the 1940s.

The evil in Twin Peaks came from the darkness in the woods. It was "a place both wonderful and strange." This episode really diminished the wonder and strangeness of Twin Peaks, since apparently New Mexico is the truly special place where everything came from.

Personally, this isn't a huge deal to me, but it's easy to see why other people would be bothered by the intimacy of the original series being retroactively eroded.

Thank You.

"Secret origin" stories are pretty hard to pull off. Reveal too much and people will invariably be disappointed, especially when they've had decades to mull over this stuff. But, a lot of what could come across as being pretty cheesy in other hands was delivered with terrifying intensity here.

I also think that the woods in Twin Peaks aren't lacking in their own mysteriousness, and I don't think that's being retconned here. This would tie in to the "something to do with your heritage" stuff with Hawk, and it seems like gateways to the lodge aren't particularly common. I think that the energy of the woods has drawn these entities etc to it.

The light vs dark theme is pretty established in the series from the early seasons (white lodge vs black lodge), and it was even kind of implied that The Giant might be an alien by Briggs with the whole intercepted signals thing?

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. Sucks that some people aren't getting what they want but I really couldn't be happier with this show. 10/10 entertainment for me.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wait a second, so this is super dumb but I just realized the Purple Ocean place is on top of a tall rocky structure, some theorize it's the White Lodge and while I am not quite sold on that theory if it is, and if the Black Lodge is on top of a similar tall rocky structure...

It'll be Twin Peaks.

traveler

Not Wario

While I certainly liked the original series a lot more than "loathing 80% of it", this is pretty much where I'm at, assuming the interpretations being tossed around (my own included) are correct. There's obviously no confirmation yet that the readings we've had of it are even partially correct, much less spot on, so jury will stay out until everything is over.

I can admire the sheer ambition to attempt something like that on TV as well as the artistry of each individual moment and the presentation without necessarily liking the narrative implications.

"Secret origin" stories are pretty hard to pull off. Reveal too much and people will invariably be disappointed, especially when they've had decades to mull over this stuff. But, a lot of what could come across as being pretty cheesy in other hands was delivered with terrifying intensity here.

I also think that the woods in Twin Peaks aren't lacking in their own mysteriousness, and I don't think that's being retconned here. This would tie in to the "something to do with your heritage" stuff with Hawk, and it seems like gateways to the lodge aren't particularly common. I think that the energy of the woods has drawn these entities etc to it.

The light vs dark theme is pretty established in the series from the early seasons (white lodge vs black lodge), and it was even kind of implied that The Giant might be an alien by Briggs with the whole intercepted signals thing?

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. Sucks that some people aren't getting what they want but I really couldn't be happier with this show. 10/10 entertainment for me.

Everything about the original series was intimate. From the town, to the Lodge, to the various subplots, to the conclusion. Yes, a satellite picked up signals from the Lodge, and there were allusions to alien abduction, but the story was never about that.

FWWM opened things up a bit, but it was still ultimately about the final days of a long-suffering victim of abuse at the hands of her father, and it all came back to Twin Peaks.

I want to reiterate that I'm almost fully on board with the new season - from the floor-sweeping to Dougie to the 1950s horror short and beyond - but it's a little irritating seeing people diminish and misrepresent the opinions of those who aren't enjoying this as much as you and I are.

Everything about the original series was intimate. From the town, to the Lodge, to the various subplots, to the conclusion. Yes, a satellite picked up signals from the Lodge, and there were allusions to alien abduction, but the story was never about that.

FWWM opened things up a bit, but it was still ultimately about the final days of a long-suffering victim of abuse at the hands of her father, and it all came back to Twin Peaks.

I want to reiterate that I'm almost fully on board with the new season - from the floor-sweeping to Dougie to the 1950s horror short and beyond - but it's a little irritating seeing people diminish and misrepresent the opinions of those who aren't enjoying this as much as you and I are.

Oh I definitely agree that it doesn't have the intimacy of the original, where 90%+ of all things that went on was totally in and around Twin Peaks. Someone was complaining a few weeks back that the "magical" aspects of the universe seems positively normal this season with the amount of stuff that goes on, and that's also fair.

I'm really curious about what the initial plans for season 3 were way back then, and how much of that remains here.

Sacul64GC

Banned
If the frog-thing is actually supposed to be Bob, maybe the girl it went inside is actually Bob's mother. Maybe Bob had a physical form at some point similar to what he had in the pilot ending they filmed overseas.

I thought that was the thing the giant sent aka Laura and thats why in went into the girl (Sarah?) waiting to be birthed.

Flipyap

Reminder: the eggs were barfed out along with a fully formed Bob Bowling Ball.

I understand this impulse to associate every new thing with previously introduced characters, but I feel like we've been given enough information here to let the fowlocustoad be its own thing.

Eusis

Hmm, maybe it's possible those are more like agents of Bob then? Or a new element that will crop up and be relevant later on (we do have Black Lodge residents who we don't really know much about yet, could they have been produced from those?)

Or maybe we'll never fully touch on this episode going forward, which might be for the best. I think I mainly wanted conclusion to Dale Cooper's story and knowing what happened to the Twin Peaks residents in the 25 year interval, though the craziness gives more meat to savor given that I'm in for some crazy entertainment.

Oh I definitely agree that it doesn't have the intimacy of the original, where 90%+ of all things that went on was totally in and around Twin Peaks. Someone was complaining a few weeks back that the "magical" aspects of the universe seems positively normal this season with the amount of stuff that goes on, and that's also fair.

I'm really curious about what the initial plans for season 3 were way back then, and how much of that remains here.
I wonder if Lynch or Frost will open up about that once this season is over. Probably not, right?
Reminder: the eggs were barfed out along with a fully formed Bob Bowling Ball.

I understand this impulse to associate every new thing with previously introduced characters, but I feel like we've been given enough information here to let the fowlocustoad be its own thing.
In my ideal world, the next episode or two would continue the girl and her frog's story. and we would get a better idea of what the frog was in the process, but knowing Lynch the next episode will be about Dougie getting a bladder infection from holding his pee for so long in the previous episodes.

Menome

I may have missed someone else stating it, but the black sooty figures and one being called "Woodsman" leads me to believe they're spirits of lumberjacks who died during the great fire of Twin Peaks at the turn of the 20th century (Which was described in The Secret History).

Frost might. Lynch will go to his death not explaining a word about anything he's ever done.

wouldn't want it any other way

btw is the artifacting really bad for this show on showtime for anyone else? it's particularly painful during night scenes. i need blu ray yo

btw is the artifacting really bad for this show on showtime for anyone else? it's particularly painful during night scenes. i need blu ray yo

You should see the embarrassing CraveTV quality here in Canada. I was rewatching 8 just now and thinking about how excited I am for the blu-ray down the road. There's a lot of great looking stuff in this season, especially episode 8, that is hugely degraded by the horrendous streaming quality/artifacting everywhere.

Chumley

Banned

Yep, I watch on Amazon which I think is the highest available 1080p quality and it's still really bad.

Bless us with a 4k uhd Blu-Ray release plz lynch

Yep, I watch on Amazon which I think is the highest available 1080p quality and it's still really bad.

Bless us with a 4k uhd Blu-Ray release plz lynch

Same. Amazon's "Best" quality looks like a 480p bootleg.

Flipyap

In my ideal world, the next episode or two would continue the girl and her frog's story. and we would get a better idea of what the frog was in the process, but knowing Lynch the next episode will be about Dougie getting a bladder infection from holding his pee for so long in the previous episodes.
In a perfect world, that would spin-off into its own show. This show looks so much better in black and white, I think I'm gonna cry when we return to the unprocessed digital video dimension.

Slaythe

In a perfect world, that would spin-off into its own show. This show looks so much better in black and white, I think I'm gonna cry when we return to the unprocessed digital video dimension.

In a way, it made this episode feel like a short movie.

Then we go back to shit webisode visual quality.

jett

D-Member

This show looks so good though.

At least I think so.

So yeah, I just caught up on this episode and... holy fuck. It starts out with a complete music video featuring Nine Inch Nails and ends in the creepy nightmare land of the 1950's. The Hobo Zombies (yes, that is a thing) were really effective and freaky. Holy shit, I could see these creatures inspire some future game developers.
"This is the water, and this is the well..." what a bizarre moment.
and
I am guessing we saw the birth of Bob?... born out of a nuclear explosion and given birth by the black cabin? I have no idea.

This show looks so good though.

At least I think so.

I think Lynch is doing a lot of impressive things with the limited budget that he has to work with. This episode was visually great to look at. Honestly, I will say it again, I am loving everything about this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom