• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep.

It's an extra shame because the Woodsman and his ilk are... well... woodsmen. They don't fit as well in a desert as they would have amongst the Douglas firs of Twin Peaks.

I really wonder why Lynch chose to move the narrative away from the town, I don't feel like the choice has led to anything worthwhile yet. The new characters have been way more justified than the new locations thus far.

We know they feed on pain and suffering. The atomic bomb test would certainly create an unprecedented amount of that in human history.

I would also say Las Vegas, aka Sin City, is an ideal place for Black Lodge beings to create more garmonbozia. New York is another. Buenos Aires is a very urbanized city as well. But I have no idea about "Buckhorn", South Dakota.

I'm guessing Twin Peaks is the counter to all that.

But I imagine Mr C and BOB want to stir up as much trouble as possible and spread it all around. Doppelgängers also seem to be antithesis of their originals, and consider Cooper's love of Twin Peaks it makes sense thematically for Mr C to embraced places that offer the opposite experience.

Slaythe

If this is showing the origin of Bob I kind of don't like it. Feels like explaining away the magic a little bit. Sort of like the Star Wars prequels and their handling of the force.

I liked it better when Bob and the lodge beings were just malevolent spirits in the woods around Twin Peaks that had been haunting the area for hundreds of years all the way back to Native American times.

That being said, I loved the Woodsman. He was creepy as fuck. I hear the guy who played him makes a living as an Abe Lincoln look alike.

Not at all ?

You still don't know who BOB was, how his spirit ended up in the evil realm, you also have no idea what shape he will take once on earth and where he'll end up. Nor what he was doing within the evil realm.

So basically it didn't explain much.

And it's not like the Midichlorians ruined the Force. It's something that was briefly mentioned and doesn't really impact what the Force was. Its biggest crime was being a useless addition, but it didn't ruin anything.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The Secret History talks about a logging accident in Twin Peaks where eight lumberjacks died (including the Log Lady's husband). I think it's way more likely that's where the woodsmen originated rather than them being caught out in the blast in New Mexico.

To be honest, this is one big question I'm having about all of this is location things.

Twin Peaks is the place where the entrance to the Waiting Room is, but we now know an Atomic Bomb blast occurred in Mexico which lead to something happening. So what does the Atomic Bomb have to do with things and why is the portal in Twin Peaks and not New Mexico?

You know, actually I'm starting to get another theory from just typing that. WHAT IF the Atomic Bomb isn't the origin of how our worlds began to connect, what if they were already connected before then? The Convenience Store I don't think is in New Mexico (and actually the one you see the kids walk past looks different than the one we see), but what if this is where BOB was born, either in general or into our world? As in during great tragedies on Earth make it so Mother gives birth to things either in the other world or allows things from the other world into our world, so they can reap into ours? The Atomic Bomb didn't create a fissure in reality or something, our worlds have always been connected but the Atomic Bomb is what gives birth to BOB specifically as the great sins it'll produce. It also explains the music for mourning the victims of the USA bombing on Japan the scene chooses to use because of the great tragedy it will create. BOB is born from this tragedy (either in general or to our world), and maybe the other entities of the Lodges are born from great acts of goodness and tragedies themselves or allowed passage here from them.

So the episode isn't an origin of how our worlds got connected, but more showing another way the worlds are connected, if that makes sense. That also would explain why they're Woodmen (Woodmen don't work in the desert, what?), the likely source of them from Twin Peaks as Secret History shows (also again, why would there be a collection of woodmen in the New Mexico desert, and they don't come from underground they come from the sky?), and other entities already existed or came to our world before this.

It might not even be specifically birth, like I'm not quite convinced the Frog-Moth thing is BOB, and we see Mother vomits out a lot of eggs (and the Frog Moth comes from one of the eggs Mother spits out, not the weird orb things BOB is in). Maybe the greater the tragedy, the more from the Black Lodge that's allowed to seep into our world and BOB just comes along because the opening is big enough for him to come through (which while I know is reused footage, might explain why he's 'born' laughing maniacally in glee). While this is just a theory, I think this makes more sense than this being when our worlds first connected (and I mean the Purple Ocean has a machine that seems directly connected to delivering things to Earth already).

And it's like not the Midichlorians ruined the Force. It's something that was briefly mentioned and doesn't really impact what the Force was. Its biggest crime was being a useless addition, but it didn't ruin anything.

can-of-worms.jpg

dorn.

The Secret History talks about a logging accident in Twin Peaks where eight lumberjacks died (including the Log Lady's husband). I think it's way more likely that's where the woodsmen originated rather than them being caught out in the blast in New Mexico.

I think they definitely originated in the burning river incident (maybe "Got a light?" was how the fire got started?). IIRC there's a part in Secret History about plutonium from the Twin Peaks area being used in the atomic bomb, maybe their souls/spirits were scattered in the explosion.

PolishQ

To be honest, this is one big question I'm having about all of this is location things.

Twin Peaks is the place where the entrance to the Waiting Room is, but we now know an Atomic Bomb blast occurred in Mexico which lead to something happening. So what does the Atomic Bomb have to do with things and why is the portal in Twin Peaks and not New Mexico?

You know, actually I'm starting to get another theory from just typing that. WHAT IF the Atomic Bomb isn't the origin of how our worlds began to connect, what if they were already connected before then? The Convenience Store I don't think is in New Mexico (and actually the one you see the kids walk past looks different than the one we see), but what if this is where BOB was born, either in general or into our world? As in during great tragedies on Earth make it so Mother gives birth to things either in the other world or allows things from the other world into our world, so they can reap into ours? The Atomic Bomb didn't create a fissure in reality or something, our worlds have always been connected but the Atomic Bomb is what gives birth to BOB specifically as the great sins it'll produce. It also explains the music for mourning the victims of the USA bombing on Japan the scene chooses to use because of the great tragedy it will create. BOB is born from this tragedy (either in general or to our world), and maybe the other entities of the Lodges are born from great acts of goodness and tragedies themselves or allowed passage here from them.

So the episode isn't an origin of how our worlds got connected, but more showing another way the worlds are connected, if that makes sense. That also would explain why they're Woodmen (Woodmen don't work in the desert, what?), the likely source of them from Twin Peaks as Secret History shows (also again, why would there be a collection of woodmen in the New Mexico desert, and they don't come from underground they come from the sky?), and other entities already existed or came to our world before this.

It might not even be specifically birth, like I'm not quite convinced the Frog-Moth thing is BOB, and we see Mother vomits out a lot of eggs (and the Frog Moth comes from one of the eggs Mother spits out, not the weird orb things BOB is in). Maybe the greater the tragedy, the more from the Black Lodge that's allowed to seep into our world and BOB just comes along because the opening is big enough for him to come through (which while I know is reused footage, might explain why he's 'born' laughing maniacally in glee). While this is just a theory, I think this makes more sense than this being when our worlds first connected (and I mean the Purple Ocean has a machine that seems directly connected to delivering things to Earth already).

Twin Peaks has one of the entrances to the Lodge; we've already seen the curtains appear in South Dakota and Las Vegas in season three, and it's implied in FWWM that Jeffries found an entrance in Buenos Aires (or wherever "Judy's" is). So I don't think that the Lodge is "in" Twin Peaks; it's just one of several "places of power" where the border between our world and theirs is blurred.

I agree with you that the worlds were already connected before the bomb test. But this was the first time that such a vast amount of energy was unleashed by mankind and perhaps this energy was what allowed (or prompted) "Mother" to give birth.

I wonder too if the BOB orb is actually the Mother's essence... similar to the Giant "birthing" the Laura orb, I actually got the sense that he was sending his own soul to Earth in the form of Laura. In which case this is not the birth of either BOB or Laura -- they are just the forms assumed by these otherworldly entities in our world.

One more thing: Could Evil Coop be searching for the coordinates of a nuclear weapon? Does he want to trigger a nuclear incident so that more births can occur?

One more thing: Could Evil Coop be searching for the coordinates of a nuclear weapon? Does he want to trigger a nuclear incident so that more births can occur?

I really hope not. Another thing Twin Peaks has always benefited from is the stakes of the core conflict being small and relatively personal. This would be some "fate of the world" shit.

Dusk Golem

after episode 8 I'm convinced I'm not smart enough for this show

Despite all of us talking plot right now, Lynch has always been more about mood than the details of the storyline. So I think keeping that in mind it's okay if you don't understand everything, and in fact there is a high chance it may even be impossible to 100% understand everything for certain, just what you think and feel happened (Lynch himself has said on a few occasions he's more interested in what people think that what he was thinking when he meant it, even going as far as to say someone could form their own image of this new season of TP by watching it out of order or missing a bit of it, and there's beauty in that).

crimnos

Personally I like the first interpretation more - that we created BOB and unleashed all these horrors ourselves by being absorbed by greed and power and meddling with science. That resonates more with me than BOB et al being aliens from another dimension that entered our universe during the nuke explosion.

I don't think they're mutually exclusive and I suspect Lynch intended it that way. Evil, misery, and suffering certainly existed before the bomb, we just opened the gateway to (and simultaneously created) a greater form of it with the bomb. It's an apt metaphor, actually.

I'm not sure where I stand on this being BOB's "origin", but I don't think it's a coincidence that the beast's two "elemental" animals - frogs and locusts - were Biblical plagues. I suspect that's something that will play out in future episodes.

Flipyap

I'm not sure where I stand on this being BOB's "origin", but I don't think it's a coincidence that the beast's two "elemental" animals - frogs and locusts - were Biblical plagues. I suspect that's something that will play out in future episodes.
And what about its hummingbird beak?

crimnos

And what about its hummingbird beak?

Forgot about that. What if that's not a beak but a proboscis, and related to flies (also a plague)? Does anyone have a good still of its face? I can only see it from the side.

I have to admit, though, that what I could see of the face also reminded me of the white mask and jumping man from FWWM:

5XZ0SOH.png

maskfilms5.jpg

Slaythe

I really hope not. Another thing Twin Peaks has always benefited from is the stakes of the core conflict being small and relatively personal. This would be some "fate of the world" shit.

I mean, it's too late for that.

If you were expecting to figure out how Donna being a Horne was relevant and what James was up to, I have bad news for you.

Now that you're dealing with the core concept of life and death and it involved a nuclear blast, you can't exactly keep it "small".

I hope we do get character moments and resolutions leading up to whatever the finale is, but you can't seriously expect the stakes to be small IMO.

Forgot about that. What if that's not a beak but a proboscis, and related to flies (also a plague)? Does anyone have a good still of its face? I can only see it from the side.

I have to admit, though, that what I could see of the face also reminded me of the white mask and jumping man from FWWM:

5XZ0SOH.png

maskfilms5.jpg

Someone has promised me he was credited in The Return and should return. I didn't bother looking or confirming, but my hopes are never the less piqued.

WriterGK

When I first was watching episode 8 this is quite nice with the whole abstract/bad LSD trip thing. But after 17 minutes I was getting bit annoyed and I hoped that it won't last the whole episode but it did. But then that thing with the Radio made it all great again. This was even for Lynch his doing quite fucked up but still awesome as hell. And the Nine Inch Nails performance in the Bang Bang was brilliant.

Thinking of that guy and the room over the convenience store made me wonder if it could somehow be linked to the gas station with all the Woodsmen. Probably not, but could have been a cool link if it was the actual convenience store.

When I first was watching episode 8 this is quite nice with the whole abstract/bad LSD trip thing. But after 17 minutes I was getting bit annoyed and I hoped that it won't last the whole episode but it did. But then that thing with the Radio made it all great again. This was even for Lynch his doing quite fucked up but still awesome as hell. And the Nine Inch Nails performance in the Bang Bang was brilliant.

This happened to me for about 2 minutes between entering the bomb and until that thing puked and we saw BOB in one of the 'seeds' then it all became insanely engaging and captivating again.

WriterGK

Thinking of that guy and the room over the convenience store made me wonder if it could somehow be linked to the gas station with all the Woodsmen. Probably not, but could have been a cool link if it was the actual convenience store.

This happened to me for about 2 minutes between entering the bomb and until that thing puked and we saw BOB in one of the 'seeds' then it all became insanely engaging and captivating again.

Maybe it can be, you never know.
I totally agree. But I was thinking that boy and girl were somehow Leland Palmer and his wife because I thought those Orb was a machine making people entering earth as a birth/baby.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hold on, guys and gals. Mother vomited other eggs alongside BOB?

I freaking swore that was Garmonbozia! That looked like corn to me.

I remember the logjam and fire from the book,, so why are they in New Mexico?

The Convenience Store is not in New Mexico. It's not even in this world probably. The scenes previous to it appeared to show that we were entering into other worlds. Why they went to New Mexico in '56 we still don't know, and might not know.

I feel like people are not really focusing on the other mysteries of the show. We're supposing a lot of stuff, but we don't really know everything.

Levito

Banned
That's certainly an interesting idea that potentially Laura had a doppelganger too, who maybe was the one who got murdered. If that's the case (it probably won't be, but still), then perhaps the series may end with Cooper helping to get the real Laura out of the Red Room?

Maddie was a dobbleganger of sorts, though not in the literal sense like Mr. C

Dusk Golem

Maddie was a dobbleganger of sorts, though not in the literal sense like Mr. C

I keep on forgetting to mention her, but I was wondering to myself if Maddie was somehow manufactured like Dougie was. I don't know if that's true but I have pondered.

MisterR

I don't think they were caught out in the blast in New Mexico. They are drawn to darkness and evil and pain and the nuclear test drew them to the area.

I think it could be up in the air. BOB's globe looked more like what we see Laura's face in, but black and the others looks more oval or seed like.

I need to watch again.

I feel like later down the road this episode will hold a lot of answers.

Dusk Golem

The Convenience Store is not in New Mexico. It's not even in this world probably. The scenes previous to it appeared to show that we were entering into other worlds. Why they went to New Mexico in '56 we still don't know, and might not know.

I feel like people are not really focusing on the other mysteries of the show. We're supposing a lot of stuff, but we don't really know everything.

It looks like one of the eggs we see in the next scene, but creamed corn obviously has importance too.

And I 100% agree with you on the second point, but people are still digesting this episode so I understand it's in their headspace and may put realizing how it connects to other mysteries or realizing their suspicious maybe aren't entirely accurate with time, I feel while the episode did reveal many things it left a lot more ambiguous.

I few things I noticed on rewatch.

Mr C is shot in the same bodily area as Cooper in the season 1 finale. Both assasination attempts are surprising for the uncannily prepared characters. The camera angles that show them lying on the ground are similar too. Cooper slowly awakes from unconsciousness surrounded by those that saves his life. Mr C suddenly awakes from unconsciousness alone.

We approach the Nuclear blast from high above and descend into it. We approach the structure in the purple ocean from below and ascend into it. i did not time the approaches but would not be surprised if it took a similar length of time.

Beings inside both "places", as they float, release forces from their heads. ??????? leans backward as it does this and the material is ejected above. The Experiment leans forward as it spews the material below.

The Gold Orb with Luara's face moves closer to camera the same way the foggy Laura image does in the opening credit sequence.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It looks like one of the eggs we see in the next scene, but creamed corn obviously has importance too.

And I 100% agree with you on the second point, but people are still digesting this episode so I understand it's in their headspace and may put realizing how it connects to other mysteries or realizing their suspicious maybe aren't entirely accurate with time, I feel while the episode did reveal many things it left a lot more ambiguous.

What I mean is that some of us are talking about how the mystery is gone (I'm not really going to quote, because they're too many, so excuse me guys), but to be honest, I still feel I don't know anything about how all these systems work. Like what is the convenience store? What's it for? Why does Mother exist? Did BOB exist from before, what did BOB do before going into Leland?

There's still a lot of mystery here, just different from before, is kind of what I mean. I feel like this will become much more obvious throughout the following episodes. But yes, we're still digesting a lot of stuff, but I feel this episode spawned way more questions that it answered them, which I like.

I few things I noticed on rewatch.

Mr C is shot in the same bodily area as Cooper in the season 1 finale. Both assasination attempts are surprising for the uncannily prepared characters. The camera angles that show them lying on the ground are similar too. Cooper slowly awakes from unconsciousness surrounded by those that saves his life. Mr C suddenly awakes from unconsciousness alone.

We approach the Nuclear blast from high above and descend into it. We approach the structure in the purple ocean from below and ascend into it. i did not time the approaches but would not be surprised if it took a similar length of time.

Beings inside both "places", as they float, release forces from their heads. ??????? leans backward as it does this and the material is ejected above. The Experiment leans forward as it spews the material below.

The Gold Orb with Luara's face moves closer to camera the same way the foggy Laura image does in the opening credit sequence.

Oh wow, I didn't see how they mirrored each other! Freaking Lynch.

Levito

Banned
I keep on forgetting to mention her, but I was wondering to myself if Maddie was somehow manufactured like Dougie was. I don't know if that's true but I have pondered.

Yeah if this whole "Laura is actually a white/black lodge attendant" thing is true then I wonder what that'll make Maddie.

I don't think she's been mentioned this season at all.

Levito

Banned
Oof. Maybe they'll just chalk it up to she's a doppelganger as well.

She kind of always was tbh. I mean at one point she dressed up as Laura just to fool Dr. Lawrence. In essence, a dopplerganger.

Also the fact that the next time Bob killed it was Maddie.

Vectorman

Banned
She kind of always was tbh. I mean at one point she dressed up as Laura just to fool Dr. Lawrence. In essence, a dopplerganger.

Also the fact that the next time Bob killed it was Maddie.
Lol that means James didn't only get women to love him, he also messed around with creatures from other dimensions. James is so 'cool'.

Dusk Golem

Lol that means James didn't only get women to love him, he also messed around with creatures from other dimensions. James is so 'cool'.

Maybe Janey-E and James can hook up as two being who's significant manufactured trans-dimensional lovers were taken from them.

Levito

Banned
Maybe Janey-E and James can hook up as two being who's significant manufactured trans-dimensional lovers were taken from them.

What if James is literally the pupptermaster behind all of this? Like the next 10 episodes are all about the adventures James had in California. The band performances at the end always being "Just You"

Vectorman

Banned
He was always the coolest.
B7FaihsIUAABqsN.jpg

Going back to Maddie, I would like some resolution but I think this show with its unpredictability has made me give up on a concrete explanation of anything at this point. Feels like we are going to have to interpret stuff after this season.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think the whole white lodge sequence is one of the loveliest bits of surrealism Lynch has ever put on film. Wonderful stuff.

Dusk Golem

For all speculation, I'm not predicting anything I should mention just thinking. If this season has taught me anything, I shouldn't expect anything and just go along for the ride.

>I'm loving it, though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom