• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimnos

Going back to Maddie, I would like some resolution but I think this show with its unpredictability has made me give up on a concrete explanation of anything at this point. Feels like we are going to have to interpret stuff after this season.

Haha, God James was the worst.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Maddie appears in the Lodge in Episode 29, and does not have the Doppelgänger eyes.

Well to be fair, she appeared before the first doppelganger appeared (The Arm's), and others appeared without the white eyes.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Really wish people would stop referring to Cooper as Dougie.

Hey, they all don't know any better! As far as Janey-E, Sonny Jim, and his co-workers know, he IS Dougie!!

I'm teasing, I know you mean people online but since everyone refers to him as Dougie on the show it feels natural to call him Dougie even though we all know it's Cooper.

Ray Down

Banned
Haha, God James was the worst.

james-hurley-is-ugh.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
He'll be Cooper once he freaking wakes up. Argh, I can't believe I need to wait two weeks for the next episode, to know if he finally wakes up, or if we're going to '56 again. I'M DONE DIGESTING, I NEED MORE.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Which ones? Leland's, Cooper's, Laura's and The Arm's all had them.

Well, I mean that non-doppelganger characters in the Red Room appeared before Maddie, like Señor Droolcup, the Giant, Laura and The Arm.

Joqu

Personally I'd like to believe BOB existed before the 1945 scene. Part of it is just that I prefer him as something primeval, but the way he stands out from the Mother's eggs makes me think he's hitchhiking in a way. And considering his orb appearance matches up with the one in the Doop scene I feel like it's fair to say it wasn't necessarily his birth (though the latter certainly shared the imagery of one).

We know enough about the history of Twin Peaks, thanks to The History of Twin Peaks, to know the lodge business didn't start with an atomic bomb test, question is when BOB first became active in the area. I don't think the book mentioned anything like that, but it certainly implied Native Americans had seen lodge-y Caucasians before the arrival of Lewis and Clark.

Pain and suffering is their jam, and you can't get much more pain and suffering than an atomic bomb. If you view the 1945 scene as the opening of a new bridge between the two worlds it could very well be he's simply tagging along for the ride, attracted by the Garmonbozia in the area.

I really don't think BOB's one of those frog critters, the one we saw hatch came from one of the Mother's eggs that looked nothing like BOB in that one scene. The way I see it, those are being spread after the test by Mother to increase the influence of lodge beings. The woodsman seems to be doing the same thing with his radio message, and it's that message that appears to allow for the critter we followed to enter the girl's mouth. They appear to be working together. (Drink full and descend is pretty much welcoming folks for a Garmonbozia party, no?).

Our Woodsman guys also seem to be empowered by the area considering the killing our radio man pulls off, and in general, by their physical nature around the place. So maybe this period is merely the moment BOB became strong enough to break free? We saw the convenience store, but we couldn't see what was going on inside. What if it was the meeting we saw in FWWM? We never got a date for it, and we know Jeffries travels through time so it could very well be.

Note that it's in the extended version that TMFAP says the line "from pure air we have descended". Certainly brings to mind the radio thing, and "pure air" could very well be related to a nuclear explosion?

But if we were to take the descend as the arrival of these lodge influences in 1945 the whole history of the lodge no longer works, so I'm interpreting it as more of an empowerment of sorts for now.

There's no mention of her at all, it's weird. Granted she was involved with several terrible sub plots in season 2 and I have no interest in seeing those play out, but still.

Even weirder: Her Father has already been on it, and I believe both of her sisters are credited to appear. Think they actually talked about this on one of the podcasts from the episode before last as the mother of the kid who got ran over kind of resembled Donna.

Wait it's on a two week break? After that episode? Oh my god.

Showtime has always seemed to oddly stick to the 'July 4th week off' thing.

Ray Down

Banned
There's no mention of her at all, it's weird. Granted she was involved with several terrible sub plots in season 2 and I have no interest in seeing those play out, but still.

Barring her story with Harold Smith, I say she had nothing good going plot wise with her.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Also holy hell at this Tweet: https://twitter.com/ThatsOurWaldo/status/879736182363607040

The two relevant clips:
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/67d0836b-6062-4cb2-b591-e6c2813aa5d4
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/ef87beda-0422-4fcd-930a-94f3402379bb

(reminds me of some stuff people pointed out in the original series could very well be hinting towards the woodmen and the nuclear explosion.)
Rewatching the whole show after it's over (again) will certainly be a doozy.

Obscura

Also holy hell at this Tweet: https://twitter.com/ThatsOurWaldo/status/879736182363607040

The two relevant clips:

(reminds me of some stuff people pointed out in the original series could very well be hinting towards the woodmen and the nuclear explosion.)

Interesting.

Did Leland grow up in Twin Peaks? And do we know his age circa '89? Curious if MIKE is just saying BOB has been in TP for the last forty years as opposed to "he's been in our world for the last forty years".

Joqu

The two relevant clips:

Hm. Still going with my BOB has been around for longer than that interpretation, but that certainly changes some key details. He can still be primeval this way, but maybe he really did only arrive in "our world" after the nuclear explosion... In that case I gotta wonder what kind of lodge beings have been active before this though. It does seem like TMFAP (and probably MIKE by proxy) "descended" around the same time as BOB.

Anyway, it's very neat how much of this stuff appears to have been hinted at in the original series, yeah. We do know they took a look at the original season 3 plans for this season, so maybe this really had part of their plans from back then.

Someone has also pointed out earlier that the green stone imagery from FWWM could be trinitite, I thought that was really interesting too.

Bob's actor even has his own picture with white eyes, but he doesn't appear in the episode with those eyes.

You can see a snippet of a deleted scene from the season 2 finale in the Blu Ray boxset menu video on the 10th disc showing Bob saying "Fire walk with me" with doppelganger eyes.

Solo

The two relevant clips:

1990 - 40 = 1950. So yeah, almost 40 years works if we are talking 1956.

Damn.

Ratings are out.

The show’s ratings came out today. It ranked 90th of all shows seen on cable on Sunday night. A total of 264,000 people watched it. That’s fewer than the previous week by about 30,000. So even the lure of Laura Dern and an episode with familiar faces wasn’t enough to keep up the paltry ratings to this point.

Wk2BWfS.png

This is the first decrease since the wacky VOD release of episodes 3 and 4 created an artificial decrease in week 2.

Solo

Ratings are mostly irrelevant as this is all shot, scored, edited and being aired in the next 10 weeks, but I guess it does rather put the final nail in the coffin with respect to future Peaks/S4.

Which is fine, as this has been planned since 2014 as the end.

The Woodsmen gave me flashbacks to the man in the alley in Mulholland Dr. *shudder*

This is what it reminded me of right away, which made me completely forget the Woodsmen and associate them with some kind of dread or misery and being "knowing" similar to how the person behind Wiggly's was shown to be.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
If it doesn't count streaming numbers, then I might venture to say that those numbers are irrelevant. And to quite honest, I don't need them to know I'm having the time of my life with this show.

But still, thanks, Bam.

Dusk Golem

The Woodsmen gave me flashbacks to the man in the alley in Mulholland Dr. *shudder*

This is what it reminded me of right away, which made me completely forget the Woodsmen and associate them with some kind of dread or misery and being "knowing" similar to how the person behind Wiggly's was shown to be.

As Mulholland Drive was originally supposed to be a Twin Peaks spin-off, in my mind the hobo from that film is basically the Woodsman. They look insanely similar to each other, but we don't really see enough of the hobo in MD to say much more.

I would think the drop-off would be bad regardless due to the break.

Yeah, that's true. More just interested in the drop off due to the episodes content. Before I watched it all I saw were twitter reactions of the episode being "Out there."

If it doesn't count streaming numbers, then I might venture to say that those numbers are irrelevant. And to quite honest, I don't need them to know I'm having the time of my life with this show.

But still, thanks, Bam.

I think their pointless regardless because it's all going to air regardless and we were likely never going to get more. They're still interesting though.

As Mulholland Drive was originally supposed to be a Twin Peaks spin-off, in my mind the hobo from that film is basically the Woodsman. They look insanely similar to each other, but we don't really see enough of the hobo in MD to say much more.

I don't think it was meant to really be a "spin-off" more that it just arose out of the idea of trying to spin things out from it. I think they had the idea of Audrey going to Hollywood and Lynch just got lost on the idea and turned it into something else.

Dusk Golem

Yeah, that's true. More just interested in the drop off due to the episodes content. Before I watched it all I saw were twitter reactions of the episode being "Out there."

I think their pointless regardless because it's all going to air regardless and we were likely never going to get more. They're still interesting though.

I don't think it was meant to really be a "spin-off" more that it just arose out of the idea of trying to spin things out from it. I think they had the idea of Audrey going to Hollywood and Lynch just got lost on the idea and turned it into something else.

It became it's own thing and is not related, but the origin is there. More so I think the possibility is there since being frank, there's a LOT of signs part of what Lynch is doing is making tings related to things he never got to make. This season has seemingly pulled from elements from several of his scrapped projects, not just unused ideas from Twin Peaks Season 3's original concept, but there's been direct references to things from Ronnie Rocket, Saliva Bubbles, and the like. So I wouldn't be surprised if some things from the original television series of Mulholland Drive ended up popping in this series too.

I'm just so thrilled that Twin Peaks has turned out in a way that allows for us to talk about "The Mother vomiting the BOB egg in 1956" and "The golden Laura sphere" and "The Mauve Place". I can't stop thinking about how this show is going for it, and love that I get to watch week by week and theorize with the people here about stuff.

It became it's own thing and is not related, but the origin is there. More so I think the possibility is there since being frank, there's a LOT of signs part of what Lynch is doing is making tings related to things he never got to make. This season has seemingly pulled from elements from several of his scrapped projects, not just unused ideas from Twin Peaks Season 3's original concept, but there's been direct references to things from Ronnie Rocket, Saliva Bubbles, and the like. So I wouldn't be surprised if some things from the original television series of Mulholland Drive ended up popping in this series too.

Gotcha, completely agree.

Anxiously awaiting the weird tin-looking man in the lawn chairs in the middle of the desert.

Dusk Golem

Oh, while I'm thinking over unsolved mysteries from the original series that probably will never be solved.

wth-4.png

Who do we think the Hooded Figure is we see a few times during Season 2 of the show? You only see him twice, during the scene when Major Brigg's disappears in the flash of light and during this scene where we see the figure abstractly and in his hood is the moon:

twinpeakss2ep19_10.jpg

twin_peaks___hooded_moon_by_scabtree.jpg

But I don't think it's ever revealed who it is, and I kind of doubt Season 3 is going to ever explore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom