• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
Ratings are out.

Wk2BWfS.png

This is the first decrease since the wacky VOD release of episodes 3 and 4 created an artificial decrease in week 2.

Fucking shit those numbers are terrible. What is wrong with people.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Fucking shit those numbers are terrible. What is wrong with people.

Most are stream watching it, these numbers only include those watching it live on TV, not including those who even watch the episodes live on the internet through their website or Hulu nor people who watch the episodes on demand after they've aired.

IE, the official numbers we have is episode 1 is 0.506, but we know from online streaming and watches afterwards, there's been over 3.1 million individual viewers of Part 1 at least, and those numbers are outdated now.

All Showtime will care about is how many subscribers the new show will push since they get money from subscribers, but if you want to support the show the best way is to convince more people to watch it. I should probably tell some friends myself.

Oh, while I'm thinking over unsolved mysteries from the original series that probably will never be solved.

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/wth-4.png

Who do we think the Hooded Figure is we see a few times during Season 2 of the show? You only see him twice, during the scene when Major Brigg's disappears in the flash of light and during this scene where we see the figure abstractly and in his hood is the moon:

[IMG]http://www.chud.com/articles/content_images/243/twinpeakss2ep19_10.jpg
[IMG]http://img09.deviantart.net/06e5/i/2005/079/0/0/twin_peaks___hooded_moon_by_scabtree.jpg

But I don't think it's ever revealed who it is, and I kind of doubt Season 3 is going to ever explore it.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't it also referenced a couple times with people sneaking around in the woods and seeing someone but it not being shown?

Been a little while since I actually watched the series through.

tv ratings don't matter. it's all about streams, memes, plays, shares, and clicks now.

The target audience for this show doesn't even have cable.

I'm watching this shit online through Showtime's website.

EGM1966

Can you blame them? It's an esoteric show.

That's just an excuse. Bastards should watch and like it.

Joking: I don't really care as the whole thing's in the can so I'm happy we're getting 18 hours of Lynch doing what he wants.

Without the surrounding soap opera structure and simpler use of mini-arc narratives and smaller cliff hangers/resolutions this was always going to be a tough sell to the masses.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, while I'm thinking over unsolved mysteries from the original series that probably will never be solved.

wth-4.png

Who do we think the Hooded Figure is we see a few times during Season 2 of the show? You only see him twice, during the scene when Major Brigg's disappears in the flash of light and during this scene where we see the figure abstractly and in his hood is the moon:

twinpeakss2ep19_10.jpg

twin_peaks___hooded_moon_by_scabtree.jpg

But I don't think it's ever revealed who it is, and I kind of doubt Season 3 is going to ever explore it.

Waaaaait, I don't remember any of this! What the hell.

wth-4.png

twinpeakss2ep19_10.jpg

But I don't think it's ever revealed who it is, and I kind of doubt Season 3 is going to ever explore it.

Having already read TSHOTP, I decided to quench my thirst with the audiobook version which, terrible VO for Cole aside, is great so far.

Much is made of two characters in the woods and abductions - The Giant/????? and a man-sized owl-looking creature. I wonder if we might see a retcon of the hooded man into the owl man.

Also, ratings schamtings. As long as there's no danger of the plug being pulled early, I don't care.

Blader

Also holy hell at this Tweet: https://twitter.com/ThatsOurWaldo/status/879736182363607040

The two relevant clips:
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/67d0836b-6062-4cb2-b591-e6c2813aa5d4
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/ef87beda-0422-4fcd-930a-94f3402379bb

(reminds me of some stuff people pointed out in the original series could very well be hinting towards the woodmen and the nuclear explosion.)

I thought this was referring to how long BOB has been residing in Leland.

wth-4.png

twinpeakss2ep19_10.jpg

Somebody associated with the White Lodge. Maybe the Giant?

Flipyap

It's kinda weird how this used to be the most hokey out-of-place visual, but now.... yeah, that would fit right in on Twin Peaks (if someone were to just slow the scene down tenfold).

As for the mystery of it, it seems like something Mark Frost could return to in the Final Dossier. The man sure likes his cults and secret societies.

Syntsui

Dafuq did I watch, how blind can you be to defend shit like this last episode. I'm out, the attempt to bring the series back failed. Nothing willl be resolved like the last time and shit will only get more random at this point.

Katori

wth-4.png

twinpeakss2ep19_10.jpg

I watched the entire show in the past 3 months because my girlfriend had never seen it and wanted to catch up before season 3, so I've seen it twice in the past five years. Since Season 3's release, I have been spending up to an hour a day commenting and doing research about this show, here and on Reddit and other forums and in wikis and obscure old interviews. I have never seen this guy in my life. I guess I was asleep during all of his appearances, both when I originally watched the show and when I watched it this year? I don't see how that's possible, but, maybe.

Are you trolling?

I watched the entire show in the past 3 months because my girlfriend had never seen it and wanted to catch up before season 3, so I've seen it twice in the past five years. Since Season 3's release, I have been spending up to an hour a day commenting and doing research about this show, here and on Reddit and other forums and in wikis and obscure old interviews. I have never seen this guy in my life. I guess I was asleep during all of his appearances, both when I originally watched the show and when I watched it this year? I don't see how that's possible, but, maybe.

Are you trolling?

He's real, I did a re-watch over the past week. The hooded man seems connected to Garland in some way.

Are you trolling?

Yeah I don't remember this at all.

Obscura

Hooded Figure snip

Knowing Frost and all the occult influence he brings to the show I think the hooded figure is likely a representation of the Secret Chiefs.

In various occult movements, Secret Chiefs are said to be transcendent cosmic authorities, a Spiritual Hierarchy responsible for the operation and moral calibre of the cosmos, or for overseeing the operations of an esoteric organization that manifests outwardly in the form of a magical order or lodge system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Chiefs

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys can I just say:

What the hell?

This episode was *insane*. It was also very pretty, surreal as all hell, Lynch going 100% Lynch. Really creepy too. I enjoyed it for what it was.

Dusk Golem

Wasn't it also referenced a couple times with people sneaking around in the woods and seeing someone but it not being shown?

Been a little while since I actually watched the series through.

Yeah, you only see the figure twice but it's loosely mentioned by some of the characters maybe as a few characters think they hear someone in the woods and mention seeing someone sneaking around in the woods, and its presumingly this hooded figure you see only twice but it's never revealed what this figure is. It could be Windom Earle they mean too I should mention, but it could be this figure, it's never really revealed who they're talking about.

Waaaaait, I don't remember any of this! What the hell.

The figure in the light is easy to miss, it happens very quickly but it's watching when Brigg disappears when Cooper and him are in the woods with the owl scene around it.

But the other one happens very deliberately, the scene where the figure is scene with the Twin Peaks Owl Cave sketch is very out of left field if I remember correctly, it just is showing the Owl Cave sketch, and suddenly the figure walks backwards revealing the sketch is inside itself and everything is white around it, the camera approaches the figure as the sketch disappears and we see a half moon under its hood.

It's literally never explain what or who this is.

Having already read TSHOTP, I decided to quench my thirst with the audiobook version which, terrible VO for Cole aside, is great so far.

Much is made of two characters in the woods and abductions - The Giant/????? and a man-sized owl-looking creature. I wonder if we might see a retcon of the hooded man into the owl man.

Also, ratings schamtings. As long as there's no danger of the plug being pulled early, I don't care.

With so many plot threads already, I have my doubts the Hooded Figure will ever be returned to, but maybe. I do know TSHOTP does mention the moon a few times and stuff in the Twin Peaks woods. Oh my at an owl man though.

I thought this was referring to how long BOB has been residing in Leland.

Somebody associated with the White Lodge. Maybe the Giant?

That's the meaning I think most people took, but maybe it isn't. Maybe it meant more. That's for fans to speculate. The thing to note is Leland wasn't in Twin Peaks when he was taken over either, but in the end it depends what Mke means by "Near" which he of course doesn't say. He isn't answering Cooper's direct question in the scene as it were.

As it appears with a pure white background, it could be White Lodge related. I kind of doubt we'll ever know the specifics though.

It's kinda weird how this used to be the most hokey out-of-place visual, but now.... yeah, that would fit right in on Twin Peaks (if someone were to just slow the scene down tenfold).

As for the mystery of it, it seems like something Mark Frost could return to in the Final Dossier. The man sure likes his cults and secret societies.

That's something about the hooded figure which is why I was thinking about him, for the original series he was kind of the most out-there element, specifically the sketch inside of him, pure white background, moon in the face scene (well, maybe this and Brigg's vision of where he went, which this hooded figure maybe was related to anyways), but it actually is a character who wouldn't seem so out of place in the new season.

I kind of hope he does since I have doubts this character will show up again in Season 3 certainly, I just kind of remembered his existence as the hooded figure I think is one of the series strangest "unsolved mysteries" of sorts, but many don't even remember the hooded figure I find (given it only appears briefly and outside of that only lightly mentioned maybe as the figure people see sneaking in the woods).

Are you trolling?

Not trolling at all, I don't remember the specific episodes but the moment Brigg's disappears he's in the flash of light in the treeline, and there's one kind of out there scene towards the end of the series where you see the sketch of the owl cave, and the figure suddenly walks out from the camera revealing the sketch is inside of him, then we get close to the hood and see a half moon under his hood.

But both these scenes happen really quickly and the first one you can easily miss he's even there so I don't blame you for forgetting, especially as the character is never touched on further of who/what he is.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I've been watching it weekly on Netflix so I'm doing my part as far as the elusive streaming numbers go.

...although I never got the impression this season was supposed to act as a proper "revival" of the show. Always expected it to be an one-off thing, and I'm surprised so many were expecting it to mean TP would keep being renewed for more.

PolishQ

I'm having some weird thoughts.

- We know the Giant comes from the "White Lodge" (this hasn't been confirmed but let's use the name to represent the white tower on the rock).

- We saw that BOB comes from the creature called "Experiment" (he's either her offspring or an embodiment of her essence), who at the time of the nuclear test appears to live in a black void.

- In Season 2, we've seen the Giant appear inside the Red Room.

- We've also seen that beyond the Red Room's curtains is a black void.

- We've also seen that BOB was, for a time, apparently under the command of The Arm, who seems to be a friend to The Giant (they appear together in the S2 finale).

What I'm getting at is that sometime between 1945 and the 1980s there may have been a "colonization" of the Black Lodge by the White Lodge's inhabitants, whereupon they enslaved BOB to do their bidding. As part of this colonization they altered the Black Lodge's appearance, making it more "homely" by adding curtains and furniture.

Perhaps they did not anticipate the Black Lodge's corrupting nature or its ability to produce doppelgangers, which (along with the Woodsmen, disciples of BOB) are now leading towards BOB achieving independence from the White Lodge spirits.

From the opening flash-forward scene of Season 3, it seems that BOB (or the "Experiment" or one of the Black Lodge bug frogs) will soon infiltrate the White Lodge, which I can assume would be profoundly bad for all of us. "It is in our house now."

Flipyap

For the amnesiacs among us:

1. Call for help.
2. The robed fella shows up when Major Briggs disappears, then later they do the stylized flashback when he remembers seeing the petroglyph in a dream.

G4iSxls.gif
nHoUqct.gif

- We know the Giant comes from the "White Lodge" (this hasn't been confirmed but let's use the name to represent the white tower on the rock).

- We saw that BOB comes from the creature called "Experiment" (he's either her offspring or an embodiment of her essence), who at the time of the nuclear test appears to live in a black void.

- In present day, we've seen the Giant appear inside the Red Room.

- We've also seen that BOB was, for a time, apparently under the command of The Arm, who seems to be a friend to The Giant (they appear together in the S2 finale).

What I'm getting at is that sometime between 1945 and the 1980s there may have been a "colonization" of the Black Lodge by the White Lodge's inhabitants, whereupon they enslaved BOB to do their bidding. As part of this colonization they altered the Black Lodge's appearance, making it more "homely" by adding curtains and furniture.

Perhaps they did not anticipate the Black Lodge's corrupting nature or its ability to produce doppelgangers, which (along with the Woodsmen, disciples of BOB) are now leading towards BOB achieving independence from the White Lodge spirits.

From the opening flash-forward scene of Season 3, it seems that BOB (or the "Experiment" or one of the Black Lodge bug frogs) will soon infiltrate the White Lodge, which I can assume would be profoundly bad for all of us. "It is in our house now."

I don't think we've seen The Giant or ??????? in present day Red Rroom in the current series.

The whole “people are streaming it” thing is an illlgical argument. People stream everything. That doesn’t mean the number of people watching live for all TV shows are shit. Yeah more than 0.25m people watch it but you can compare the ratings to the ratings for other showtime shows and compare popularity easily.

Dusk Golem

Knowing Frost and all the occult influence he brings to the show I think the hooded figure is likely a representation of the Secret Chiefs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Chiefs

It does seem like something that'd be right up Frost's alley. Due to what the character does, it could be such a Chief as all he does in the show is seem to watch Brigg's abduction (it doesn't even really seem like he orchestrates it, justi s watching), and Brigg's lightly remembers him in a dream.

For the amnesiacs among us:

1. Call for help.
2. The robed fella shows up when Major Briggs disappears, then later they do the stylized flashback when he remembers seeing the petroglyph in a dream.

G4iSxls.gif
nHoUqct.gif

RIGHT, second one was the dream sequence and I forgot the owl, I only loosely remembered myself the second scene. I just know when I first watched the show and whenever I get to it on rewatches this was always such an odd thing to me since the show never really gets into it despite the sequence being one of the more out there things in the show.

Blader

It seemed obvious before, but one of the actors who played a Woodsman last night confirmed that the black ghosts in the jail cell and in the morgue were also Woodsmen.

The whole “people are streaming it” thing is an illlgical argument. People stream everything. That doesn’t mean the people watching live for all TV shows are shit. Yeah more than 0.25m people watch it but you can compare the ratings to the ratings for other showtime shows and compare popularity easily.

Streaming matters a great deal because Showtime is a premium subscriber platform. We know for a fact that Twin Peaks led to the biggest single day boost in subscribers in Showtime history. The subscriber numbers mean more than a night of viewers.

NewDust

So I decided to watch the 'atomic blast' and the 'Purple ocean tower' side-by-side and it's not even funny how things line up. Now I'm not sure if this holds any story meaning, probably not, but artistically it is amazing (or maybe I just want to see things that aren't there). Synced from 'blast' and 'red droplets':

Start of blast, falling droplets
Enter atomic blast, moving up tower
Start 'atomic tunnel blasts', entered tower
First image of the convenience store, alarm goes off
End of convenience store scene (to the experiment), Giant enters projection room
Blast imagery reappears, Giant watches blast
Falling droplets, Giant starts levitating
Scene transitions to ocean, Dido enters the room
Moving up tower, creation of 'Laura' begins
Alarm goes off, picture of Laura appears
Giant turns off the alarm, 'Laura' creation scene ends
Giant climbs stairs, egg appears
Giant entirely climbed stairs, bug entirely exited egg

Giant watches blast, Girl/Boy appear
Image of Bob appears on Giants projection, Girl finds penny
Dido enters room, Woodsmen appear
'Laura' creation start (gold light), Woodsman ask "got a light?"
Dido kisses orb, Boy kisses Girl
'Laura' send to earth, Woodsman goes to radio station.
Egg pops, Receptionist pops
Bug scene ends, start poem
Woodsmen appear, Bug reappears
"Got a light?", Bug enters mouth
Couple drives off (scene ends), Bug swallowed

Boy kisses girl, credits

Streaming matters a great deal because Showtime is a premium subscriber platform. We know for a fact that Twin Peaks led to the biggest single day boost in subscribers in Showtime history. The subscriber numbers mean more than a night of viewers.

Yes and the viewer numbers are an indicator of the popularity of the show. And that popularity is an indicator of the number of people subscribing. I don’t doubt showtime got a good number of people taking out free trials and such for the debut episode. And obviously not everyone watching the show watches it live. But it obviously isn’t being watched by as many people as Dexter or Shameless. Trying to say the ratings are an indicator of nothing is burying your head and ignoring every other show on premium cable that has a lot of live viewers.

Dusk Golem

The whole “people are streaming it” thing is an illlgical argument. People stream everything. That doesn’t mean the people watching live for all TV shows are shit. Yeah more than 0.25m people watch it but you can compare the ratings to the ratings for other showtime shows and compare popularity easily.

Very true, but Showtime's CEO has also commented that Twin Peaks Season 3 has brought more new subscribers for them than any other series, which in the end is what they care about more than viewership.

- In present day, we've seen the Giant appear inside the Red Room.

To respond to each point a bit;

-The Giant having the name ????? this season I think is probably to conceal his role this season, which I believe even more after the Laura orb thing in this episode but I digress.

-I think while BOB could be from the Experiment, it's not set in stone and it could also be possible that Mother can bring things from elsewhere from her mouth, not saying that's what it is and you aren't right but just reminding that's a possibility until we know more.

-I just wanted to mention I was surprised they let the curtains roll up in this season, it's both though exactly what I expected it to be and not what I expected at all.

-I personally take it that the Waiting Room is between Lodges, I need to recall but I think this is mentioned in original series somewhere that the Waiting Room is connected to both (but it's been a while, so I could very well have misremembered). I also take it that the Lodge doesn't really have a proper hierarchy system, I think they all just kind of live and do their own thing and associate. Like I don't think they outright want to stop BOB as it benefits them too to get some of that sweet Garmonbozia, but some in the Lodges don't appreciate his methods and want to stop him from doing that. They're okay with BOB being out for 25 years to do his thing with the doppelganger, but seem upset that he may be screwing with the rules of nature of the Lodge. Overall I get the feeling the entities of the Lodge have 'rules of nature' they abide by more than some proper ruling system, that the Lodges themselves have a will and system that they abide by, but BOB is a problem child who doesn't always act in the best interests of nature and does so selfishly, and worries the other entities.

-I think that Mother/Experiment can already get inside the Purple Ocean place at least (which may or may not be the White Lodge, to be seen), and I almost want to assume where she vomits up the eggs is the Black Lodge since it's nothing but darkness and when she appears in the box it fills with darkness. Just wanted to throw these notes up there since I'm fascinated with the Mother/Experiment character.

Very true, but Showtime's CEO has also commented that Twin Peaks Season 3 has brought more new subscribers for them than any other series, which in the end is what they care about more than viewership.

Sure. If they become paying subscribers and subscribe for the entire run. But there’s no reason why Twin Peaks should be this special show where the extreme minority watching it lives.

For the record I don’t care; it doesn’t matter as a viewer at all. It’s just silly seeing the same argument repeated over and over. Twin Peaks isn’t very popular and that’s ok.

Chumley

Banned
Yes and the viewer numbers are an indicator of the popularity of the show. And that popularity is an indicator of the number of people subscribing. I don't doubt showtime got a good number of people taking out free trials and such for the debut episode. And obviously not everyone watching the show watches it live. But it obviously isn't being watched by as many people as Dexter or probably not even Shameless. Trying to say the ratings are an indicator of nothing is burying your head and ignoring every other show on premium cable that has a lot of live viewers.

Pretty much.

I do think this reaches a level of pretty high cult popularity after the run finishes, getting people to watch it who might not have necessarily ever seen the original series. It's definitely enhanced by having watched S1 and S2 but I wouldn't say its a requirement by any stretch, most of what you need to know is implied or covered by those quick flashbacks to S2 with Cooper.

It's too bad FWWM isn't more easily available on streaming since if there's anything I'd say people need to watch beforehand its that, when Twin Peaks S3 inevitably hits Netflix hopefully they bring FWWM back with it as well.

from what I have heard it's doing extremely well on streaming services, and Showtime is happy with it.

Also people are shit taste.

No UFC cross promos with Bisping was a missed opportunity smh

Dusk Golem

nHoUqct.gif

Yeah I'm tilting towards that being the Owl Man.

I had forgotten about the Owl image in the hood, so yeah that does lean it towards the possibility the hooded figure is the Man-Sized Owl Creature in the woods of Twin Peaks. Now I'm actually hoping this is true and it appears later in this season, I want my man-sized Owl Creature who may be related to that mysterious hooded figure in the original series. It's also noteworthy right before Briggs gets abducted and the figure appears in the trees, both Briggs and Cooper see an Owl fly overhead.

Dusk Golem

Sure. If they become paying subscribers and subscribe for the entire run. But there’s no reason why Twin Peaks should be this special show where the extreme minority watching it lives.

For the record I don’t care; it doesn’t matter as a viewer at all. It’s just silly seeing the same argument repeated over and over. Twin Peaks isn’t very popular and that’s ok.

Well it doesn't matter in general as the series is already done and finished, and I kind of suspect this is a series that will grow in cult status and viewership over time as more word of mouth gets out to interested parties to watch something different.

For comparison, Showtime debuted one other new series with Twin Peaks which airs right before Twin Peaks known as "I'm Dying Up Here", and that series premiere got 0.167 viewership as the premiere episode.

Slaythe

So I decided to watch the 'atomic blast' and the 'Purple ocean tower' side-by-side and it's not even funny how things line up. Now I'm not sure if this holds any story meaning, probably not, but artistically it is amazing (or maybe I just want to see things that aren't there). Synced from 'blast' and 'red droplets':

Start of blast, falling droplets
Enter atomic blast, moving up tower
Start 'atomic tunnel blasts', entered tower
First image of the convenience store, alarm goes off
End of convenience store scene (to the experiment), Giant enters projection room
Blast imagery reappears, Giant watches blast
Falling droplets, Giant starts levitating
Scene transitions to ocean, Dido enters the room
Moving up tower, creation of 'Laura' begins
Alarm goes off, picture of Laura appears
Giant turns off the alarm, 'Laura' creation scene ends
Giant climbs stairs, egg appears
Giant entirely climbed stairs, bug entirely exited egg

Giant watches blast, Girl/Boy appear
Image of Bob appears on Giants projection, Girl finds penny
Dido enters room, Woodsmen appear
'Laura' creation start (gold light), Woodsman ask "got a light?"
Dido kisses orb, Boy kisses Girl
'Laura' send to earth, Woodsman goes to radio station.
Egg pops, Receptionist pops
Bug scene ends, start poem
Woodsmen appear, Bug reappears
"Got a light?", Bug enters mouth
Couple drives off (scene ends), Bug swallowed

Boy kisses girl, credits

That's pretty awesome.

Flipyap

It seemed obvious before, but one of the actors who played a Woodsman last night confirmed that the black ghosts in the jail cell and in the morgue were also Woodsmen.
And it's not just any random Woodsman, it's the one who originally appeared in the cell.

gnkN89p.png

I believe this is him:
Not gonna lie, I'm a little disappointed to see him running around like that. His stillness was such a good gimmick!
It appears that the Woodsmen can in fact change clothes, though I guess showers are still off-limits. Also, it kinda looks like he's holding a red round thing in his mouth à la Inland Empire's Phantom (if that's his tongue, I'm impressed - holding it like that while running and jumping around doesn't sound easy).

g11

I'm not sure if I'm just super late on this but rewatching episode 7, I'm thinking the body of Garland Briggs that is found in Buckhorn, SD that is the wrong age and missing a head is probably a Garland Doppelganger. It would explain the body having Garland's fingerprints, potentially the age difference, and could account for why the head is missing (eyes being a dead giveaway of doppelganger-ness). Also might explain why some Woodsmen are traipsing around Buckhorn (the one in the jailcell that disappears and the one in the hospital).

EDIT: Also Bobby Briggs says in episode 2 (I think, maybe 3) that Cooper was the last person "to see my father alive" which would have been a day or two after Dark Coop emerged and right before he (Dark Coop) disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom