• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmmick

I'm 30 mins into episode 8, and this shit is boring me To tears. Reminds me of watching the sopranos and having to sit through Tony's dream sequences.

Slaythe

The dragged scenes are fine, they're funny. (shovels and sweeping)

I have a lot more issues with PNGs special FX, disappearing bodies, and the absolutely awful acting in episode 6.

The rest of the season is pretty good so far, even if you need to suspend disbelief with Dougie's situation quite a bit. Kyle makes it work.

And fuck tammy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've mulled on this episode for the last 48 hours and I think it might be one of the greatest hours of television I've ever watched.

I've mulled on this episode for the last 48 hours and I think it might be one of the greatest hours of television I've ever watched.

Absolutely. Easily. Who makes an hour of TV like that? Who approves an hour of TV like that? So many scenes are already burned into my brain.

The Lost Highway opening, the frolicking spirits coming out after DoppelCoop is shot and extracting(?) BOB, the nuke, the nuke stargate, the thing spewing garmonbozia, the creation of the Laura orb, the eerie walk home with whoever those 2 people were, the black and white visuals, the Woodsmen invading the highway + town, the Woodman invading the radio station, that incredibly edited shot of the store, etc. etc. Just so many great images.

It was certainly one of my most memorable moments watching a show/film of all time. Ive always said that the Twin Peaks Pilot was my favorite block of television ever, and this is right up there with it. The only thing i really want out of this, is for them to follow it up with the black and white 50's for the next episode.

Alpende

I don't mind weird and crazy TV episodes but this one was by far the weirdest episode of a TV show I have ever watched. I really wonder what goes on in Lynch's head and how he comes up with this stuff.

g11

skLKIHb.gif

I keep finding myself wondering if that is truly "the" Evolution of the Arm. Right before that scene, after Coop first tries going through the curtain and can't, we see Gerard say "Something's wrong" and the being we understand to be the Evolution of the Arm says "my doppelganger". The Evolution of the Arm, the fleshy mass at the top is kind of pinkish and flesh colored. The one that looks like it's trying to attack Cooper and yells "Non-exist-ent", the fleshy mass at the top is very yellowish.

EGM1966

It's now up there with the finale of The Prisoner and finale of Twin Peaks Season 2 for being both amazing and way, way over the rainbow.

Can't wait to see the finale.

120v

I'm not very strong in geography of the us, but isn't New Mexico very far away from the border with Canada, where Twin Peaks supposedly lies?

yeah but this season is really all over the map. assuming the nuclear explosion was the origin of Bob or something similar i don't think it's a stretch the aftermath would affect northwest america some 3 decades later

Slaythe

It's not the origin of Bob though.

He was clearly fully formed already, so he had to originate from something before being a spirit ball in the evil realm.

All it shows is how he got so much influence over the realm world.

NewDust

Someone might know this, or maybe I'm remembering it wrong... But wasn't there a shot of TMFAP, doing a coin trick, running the coin along his fingers (also portrayed backwards). I think it's early on in the first season, but I can't find it.

after episode 8 I'm convinced I'm not smart enough for this show

lol. You are probably overthinking it. Many filmmakers, including David Lynch, don't create puzzle-like cinema to be digested by reddit detectives looking for clues and to rationalize every single frame they digest. This are not enigmas to be deciphered. Art is supposed to evoke a reaction, a more rational, emotional or abstract one. It's hard to describe the Giant manifesting a golden orb without mentioning its allure. On the other hand its rational basis can be interpreted vastly different and much less significant next to the reaction it creates.

MisterR

I just broke up with my gf after she told me the new episodes were shit, boring and that the 8th ep was the worst thing she's ever seen. we normally don't see eye to eye when it comes to film and music, but this just went overboard. A part of me is happy it ended here.

You made the right choice.

It's not the origin of Bob though.

He was clearly fully formed already, so he had to originate from something before being a spirit ball in the evil realm.

All it shows is how he got so much influence over the realm world.

Yeah, BOB is basically surfing in on the wave of nastiness spewing out of Mother.

Started going through the Secret History yesterday.

It seems like an essential read so far.

I read it when it came out, and just finished listening to the audiobook. I'm still confused as to why there's so many obvious errors. Hopefully the show will answer th... bwahahaha, nevermind.

I think some of you are over-praising episode 8. Yet, it's honestly the most fantastical episode of the entire series, and, personally, I feel like he finally did something interesting.

However, I think it's like the highlight so far only because everything else has been kind of meandering.

Episode one was so rough, and there hasn't been an episode so far that hasn't had some goofy shit that makes me go, "Damn, Lynch just robbed Showtime!" Not that Showtime has much of a high bar to go with it.

I'm overall ambivalent about the entirety of the season.

We aren't over praising it. We just like it more than you do.

I know that sounds like being nit picky about your post, but second guessing other people's opinions kind of rubs me the wrong way. It's art. That doesn't make it immune to criticisms, but it sure makes it perfectly normal to expect a wide range of reactions. I'm certainly not going to second guess that you genuinely aren't that impressed by the third season so far.

I keep finding myself wondering if that is truly "the" Evolution of the Arm. Right before that scene, after Coop first tries going through the curtain and can't, we see Gerard say "Something's wrong" and the being we understand to be the Evolution of the Arm says "my doppelganger". The Evolution of the Arm, the fleshy mass at the top is kind of pinkish and flesh colored. The one that looks like it's trying to attack Cooper and yells "Non-exist-ent", the fleshy mass at the top is very yellowish.
It's the evolution of the arm's doppelganger. I think most people see it that way anyways. It's malevolent and colored differently.

We aren't over praising it. We just like it more than you do.

I know that sounds like being nit picky about your post, but second guessing other people's opinions kind of rubs me the wrong way. It's art. That doesn't make it immune to criticisms, but it sure makes it perfectly normal to expect a wide range of reactions. I'm certainly not going to second guess that you genuinely aren't that impressed by the third season so far.

It's the evolution of the arm's doppelganger. I think most people see it that way anyways. It's malevolent and colored differently.

I see DoppelArm's head as gold, not yellow. It's like he (it?) is corrupted by it. Gold comes up in TSHOTP, Dougie turned into a gold ball and Jacoby is painting his shovels gold. Where this leads, who knows...

Edit - oh yeah, Laura is also a gold marble.

Any hope Showtime might put the new episode on Sunday for streaming anyway?

Probably not but I'm anxious. And it'd give us a two week wait from there if they did that...

Any hope Showtime might put the new episode on Sunday for streaming anyway?

Probably not but I'm anxious. And it'd give us a two week wait from there if they did that...

Nope. Though I wouldn't be surprised if some European streaming company accidentally puts it online again (I think that's happened twice so far, but taken down quickly enough that people couldn't rip it).

just saw the newest episode. i was giddy for most of it. 30 sec into the exploding slow mo atomic explosion i realized, holy shit, we are going to just slowly fly into this thing! then the abstract stuff. loved it. reminded me of Brackhage! truly the experimental and avant garde has hit the mainstream. i fucking love this. the lights bursting in the clouds. the smoke creeping in and out of the convenience store. GIMME GIMME DAVID LYNCH

it was a modern 2001. the reset to the 50s took me by surprise and gave me EVERYTHING I NEVER KNEW I WANTED. Twin Peaks in the 50s? um..... yes please!

double excited that i don't know anybody in that sequence's name yet, all we have to go on is this weird black and white pastiche. oh and some lovely camera work

vWigLGDl.png

the mutant bug was so sad and pathetic. it made me think of the end of Demon's Souls. i see people saying oh that was Bob and stuff but imo i hope he keeps the mystery open and honestly wouldnt mind none of this being directly connected to Twin Peaks if thats what ends up happening. then again it would be cool. it crawling into the girl's mouth was classic Lynch. straight out of a 50s monster movie. again, so much love.

this entire series is a peak into a new world, one of endless creativity. that endless ocean of ideas. let's dive in.

thank god this is not all up at once. i can pace myself, take these in, meditate on the imagery. this slow drip of brilliance.

just saw the newest episode. i was giddy for most of it. 30 sec into the exploding slow mo atomic explosion i realized, holy shit, we are going to just slowly fly into this thing! then the abstract stuff. loved it. reminded me of Brackhage! truly the experimental and avant garde has hit the mainstream. i fucking love this. the lights bursting in the clouds. the smoke creeping in and out of the convenience store. GIMME GIMME DAVID LYNCH

it was a modern 2001. the reset to the 50s took me by surprise and gave me EVERYTHING I NEVER KNEW I WANTED. Twin Peaks in the 50s? um..... yes please!

double excited that i don't know anybody in that sequence's name yet, all we have to go on is this weird black and white pastiche. oh and some lovely camera work

vWigLGD.png

the mutant bug was so sad and pathetic. it made me think of the end of Demon's Souls. i see people saying oh that was Bob and stuff but imo i hope he keeps the mystery open and honestly wouldnt mind none of this being directly connected to Twin Peaks if thats what ends up happening. then again it would be cool. it crawling into the girl's mouth was classic Lynch. straight out of a 50s monster movie. again, so much love.

this entire series is a peak into a new world, one of endless creativity. that endless ocean of ideas. let's dive in.

thank god this is not all up at once. i can pace myself, take these in, meditate on the imagery. this slow drip of brilliance.

Actually, the consensus is that the bug is NOT Bob. It's what Doppelcoop/Bob is looking for. There's a scene where he holds up a playing card with a bug on it a few episodes ago.

Actually, the consensus is that the bug is NOT Bob. It's what Doppelcoop/Bob is looking for. There's a scene where he holds up a playing card with a bug on it a few episodes ago.

It's been noted Experiment has some sort of antennas on its head that have it resemble the picture on the playing card.

NewDust

just saw the newest episode. i was giddy for most of it. 30 sec into the exploding slow mo atomic explosion i realized, holy shit, we are going to just slowly fly into this thing! then the abstract stuff. loved it. reminded me of Brackhage!

Finally someone that knows Brakhage!

lol "the consensus". fuck the consensus.

some people will pretend they've "figured out" Mulholland Drive. hilarious. these people entirely miss the point.

Finally someone that knows Brakhage!

it gave me major Jordan Belson feels too. Belson was a film artist in the 60s who did these crazy fasts and meditations to put his mind in a spiritual place then he created the camera and animation technology to re-create the visions he saw. these tend to be very abstract, colors, not even shapes, lights, things fading in from the darkness. it suggests a an actual presence. it feels like the film is creating ghosts or souls or something.

Brackhage is so great. his technique is very hands-on. i also got John Whitney feels from this. see his "Lapis" from 1966, psychedelic mandala early computer art:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzniaKxMr2g

rewatching The Alphabet after this confirmed Lynch basically doing the same thing he's been doing for 40+ years (contrary to anyone who thinks he is suddenly trolling). flying orbs. bugs hatching from eggs. smoke coming out and creating figures. people throwing up. silent horror. i love this. the ultimate dive into Lynch's aesthetic.

Reckoner

People at the Twin Peaks group on Fb have noticed that there is a coincident contrast between events of the original run and the new one in regards to Dale and Mr. C. It matches the episode number/timeframe of when he first appeared and got shot, for example.

Could that mean that episode 10 will be when good Cooper wakes up?

Btw, I gave a rewatch of episode 8 and after reading your discussion I'm getting more optimist about it. For some reason, it got me a bit hot headed and, of course, I should not doubt Lynch. Inland Empire was amazing and it was only ten years ago. Like I said, I was enjoying this season, it was only episode 8 that got me a bit on the edge and distrusting.

Plum

Just came to say that the episode was one of the most genuinely unsettling things I've seen for a while. It definitely haunted me as much, if not more, than Eraserhead did. Amazing work pretty much everyone involved.

One thing I don't particularly understand; the entire workings of the two lodges are so grandious for what will, eventually, end in a few small-town murders a couple of decades later. A being born of the most destructive force man has ever created seems like it should be more, well, destructive. Not a knock against the episode, just something I found weird.

People at the Twin Peaks group on Fb have noticed that there is a coincident contrast between events of the original run and the new one in regards to Dale and Mr. C. It matches the episode number/timeframe of when he first appeared and got shot, for example.

Could that mean that episode 10 will be when good Cooper wakes up?

Btw, I gave a rewatch of episode 8 and after reading your discussion I'm getting more optimist about it. For some reason, it got me a bit hot headed and, of course, I should not doubt Lynch. Inland Empire was amazing and it was only ten years ago. Like I said, I was enjoying this season, it was only episode 8 that got me a bit on the edge and distrusting.

See my post a few pages back:

I few things I noticed on rewatch.

Mr C is shot in the same bodily area as Cooper in the season 1 finale. Both assasination attempts are surprising for the uncannily prepared characters. The camera angles that show them lying on the ground are similar too. Cooper slowly awakes from unconsciousness surrounded by those that saves his life. Mr C suddenly awakes from unconsciousness alone.

We approach the Nuclear blast from high above and descend into it. We approach the structure in the purple ocean from below and ascend into it. i did not time the approaches but would not be surprised if it took a similar length of time.

Beings inside both "places", as they float, release forces from their heads. ??????? leans backward as it does this and the material is ejected above. The Experiment leans forward as it spews the material below.

The Gold Orb with Luara's face moves closer to camera the same way the foggy Laura image does in the opening credit sequence.

I'd like to add that The Giant appears to the wounded Cooper and takes his ring. The Woodsmen take BOB from Mr C. Also the Waiter is a double of sorts for the Giant. The Woodsmen are doubles or each other. It's also Episode 8 in the original series and Part 8 in this one.

I'm sure there are more parallels. Really have to rewatch these things.

Just came to say that the episode was one of the most genuinely unsettling things I've seen for a while. It definitely haunted me as much, if not more, than Eraserhead did. Amazing work pretty much everyone involved.

One thing I don't particularly understand; the entire workings of the two lodges are so grandious for what will, eventually, end in a few small-town murders a couple of decades later. A being born of the most destructive force man has ever created seems like it should be more, well, destructive. Not a knock against the episode, just something I found weird.

I suppose if the death of Laura Palmer was the catylist for people like Cooper getting involved that ends up stopping BOB we would never know what he would end up doing and on what scale.

We sort of know about BOB now, maybe, but there are other denizens of the Black Lodge who feed on garmonbozia. I wonder what their origins are.

Cole having photos of the nuke and corn makes me think he knows a lot more than what the show has let on. I wonder what he is doing.

Reckoner

See my post a few pages back:

I'd like to add that The Giant appears to the wounded Cooper and takes his ring. The Woodsmen take BOB from Mr C. Also the Waiter is a double of sorts for the Giant. The Woodsmen are doubles or each other. It's also Episode 8 in the original series and Part 8 in this one.

I'm sure there are more parallels. Really have to rewatch these things.

Thanks for sharing!

There really is no coincidences in Lynch's work

NewDust

rewatching The Alphabet after this confirmed Lynch basically doing the same thing he's been doing for 40+ years (contrary to anyone who thinks he is suddenly trolling). flying orbs. bugs hatching from eggs. smoke coming out and creating figures. people throwing up. silent horror. i love this. the ultimate dive into Lynch's aesthetic.

Yeah, started rewatching some some Lynch shorts and TP season 3 feels very much like an unification of all of Lynch's previous work. Like all of the stories take place in the same extra-dimensional universe.

Will look up some of your recommendations, I only know Brakhage on a surface level, but it immediately sprang to mind once we entered the blast.

I've never watched Eraserhead, as from the bits that I've seen, seem to terrifying, but now that I'm diving deeper in the Lynch stuff I'll have to. I've never been phased by horror stuff, but Lynch literally produces nightmare fuel

EGM1966

Yah. I get why some are unhappy its not tonally or structuraly the same as the previous two seasons but it's simply that Season 3 is really aligned with Lynch's overall body of work whereas the original two seasons had less of his input (particularly after season one as well documented in interviews, etc) and thus is less representative of his overall aesthetic.

Of course with the first two seasons he did, at least initially, seem more interested in fitting within a more traditional episodic format and going for subversion via the mediation of the more soap opera narrative and construction. Season 3 that mediation layer is clearly gone and you're getting direct Lynch - "Heroin Grade" to reference the quote - across all episodes without the normal episodic structure.

is it though? i feel like the violence is a lot less centralized in the new series. he is painting a more broader picture of evil and murder. the first people we see killed are the couple in NYC, which has nothing to do with the town of Twin Peaks, as far as we can tell. it is heavily implied Evil Cooper has been killing people for 25 years. then there is Ike the Spike, who imo isn't necessarily related to Bob (Cooper sees the arm during their confrontation Spike doesn't). it's just this random chaos. same thing w the kid getting hit by a car. that was so shocking because it was senseless. he is bringing the senselessness back to murder.

the original series sort of made an idol out of Laura's murder, here we have a more cynical, more chaotic view of murder and death. it's not just some romanticized thing, the plot of one conveniently identifiable evil force invading one small town father and committing a handful of murders. it is this all-encompassing thing. like the mutant born from our atomic tests, it is an ugly truth of humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom