• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipyap

Eh, he's hardly in it really.
It's not a big deal anymore (though I guess it still might be for people who care about getting old Cooper back), but when the book first came out, the prospect of getting to hear the first truly new Cooper lines in 25 years was incredibly appealing. Kyle MacLachlan reading those in his most bored voice made it pretty disheartening, which wasn't helped by the brevity of his role.

It's weird. When I saw this episode Sunday I thought Lynch needed mental assistance and he went over the edge in a bad way. However, I thought about it again this morning and came to realization that this was a work of genius.

Took me a while though (and I've only seen it once). Strange how art works.

Goldmund

did anyone catch the massive On The Air reference when they were in the 50s murdering radio dudes and a big sign said "ON AIR".

love this show. this is more than i could have ever wanted. the insanity of that final episode of the original series stretched out in a drip feed over 18 hours! Lynch given complete control to do whatever he wants.

people that think the effects suck would change other things to in order to make this more like other shows. they are mistaking artistic intent for technical ineptitude. again, Lynch has been working with painting, film, stop motion, animation, sound design, editing, etc. for over 4 decades. he knows what he is doing. he is doing it on purpose. he has been working with digital (enthusiastically and exclusively) for over a decade now. if you have only seen one or two of his feature films before this you may not understand. you need to watch more of what he has done, listen to interviews with him on his process, you will understand it is a very hands-on project. again these people that claim he is failing to meet a technical standard are assuming he wants to aim for that standard. they are imposing a convention on someone who has made a career of subverting convention.
There was a bit on one of the Twin Peaks Rewatch episodes where they framed some of the "cheap" looking effects as a form of impasto (although I don't remember whether they used the term), pointing to Lynch's fine arts background: he's manipulating a still digital image like a painter would leave marks of the brush, leaving the "medium" visible on top of what is "pictured" through it. I liked that.

HotHamBoy

There was a bit on one of the Twin Peaks Rewatch episodes where they framed some of the "cheap" looking effects as a form of impasto (although I don't remember whether they used the term), pointing to Lynch's fine arts background: he's manipulating a still digital image like a painter would leave marks of the brush, leaving the "medium" visible on top of what is "pictured" through it. I liked that.

That's absolutely correct, Lynch likes to show the artifice of the medium. He's not trying to fool you, we all know this is a fantasy created in the studio. Quite the opposite, he wants to break that 4th wall with a puppet bird to unsettle you.

The bad effects are intentional. This is a "TV Show."

Flipyap

That's absolutely correct, Lynch likes to show the artifice of the medium. He's not trying to fool you, we all know this is a fantasy created in the studio. Quite the opposite, he wants to break that 4th wall with a puppet bird to unsettle you.

The bad effects are intentional. This is a "TV Show."
He must have been really pissed when he saw that the BUF guys accidentally sent him really good CGI. Or when the Briggs corpse sometimes looked like it existed in the same space as the actors.

In case you're having trouble sleeping here's an 8-hour loop of the "This is the water" bit.

Drink full and descend, guys.

tp301-coop-glitch.gif

cucuchu

Its one of those things, the more you listen to it the more you understand. A sort of madness. Jesus.

I was giving my wife back rubs with one hand while we lay in bed and opened the repeat video of the "this is the water" bit and she started snoring. I'm worried she might try to murder me in my sleep right now. Looks like I'll be crashing on the couch tonight.

Dalek

I was giving my wife back rubs with one hand while we lay in bed and opened the repeat video of the "this is the water" bit and she started snoring. I'm worried she might try to murder me in my sleep right now. Looks like I'll be crashing on the couch tonight.

Be sure to close your windows.

Slime

Banned
So after re-watching Part 8, and taking into account the Secret History of Twin Peaks and Mark Frost's interest in general weirdness, my going theory is that the Manhattan Project was an alchemical ritual by Black Lodge-worshipping occultists to create a homunculus (the Experiment). All the gold imagery throughout the season also brings to mind the Philosopher's Stone.

Also, the poem the Woodsman recited makes me think of Sarah's white horse. The fact that it made everyone fall asleep makes me wonder if this is what Leland used to "drug" her.

DocSeuss

Kinda fun watching Episode 16 and hearing references to a golden circle (yeah, yeah, I know what Coop thought it was) and the phrase "got a light?"

Flipyap

So after re-watching Part 8, and taking into account the Secret History of Twin Peaks and Mark Frost's interest in general weirdness, my going theory is that the Manhattan Project was an alchemical ritual by Black Lodge-worshipping occultists to create a homunculus (the Experiment).
As much as I hope those words are never said out loud on the show (I don't mind it in Frost's dossiers, it's just not the kind of mystery I want from Lynch), I like this theory better than the one that assumes she's the mother of all the otherworldly entities.
Something just doesn't add up if you think about the increasingly impersonal way she's named in the credits. Experiment Model, Experiment. That doesn't sound like the name you'd give to the most important creature in the show's mythology. It makes her sound artificial, more like a tool than than a character.

Also, she's basically Birdo and I still don't know how I can live with this realization.

WriterGK

I am still confused if I either hate or love episode 8. I absolutely hated Eraserhead when I saw it. I am glad there is a two week break maybe Lynch can stop doing acid and shrooms haha. Even for his doing and I have seen like 90% of his movies this was fucked up beyond recognition.

Think gonna start tonight. Hope my gf likes it but i have the feeling she dont.

Has she seen Mulholland Dr.? That is the best getaway to Lynch's weirdness. There is something about the mood and style that makes it easier to digest, even though it's still really out there.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Has she seen Mulholland Dr.? That is the best getaway to Lynch's weirdness. There is something about the mood and style that makes it easier to digest, even though it's still really out there.

Not yet. Its my favourite movie and i think its a must see for everyone, even if you dont like the genre, its just art. But i think its a bit too dramatic and strange for her.
Hope she likes it tho. Its indeed a great opening to his more weirder and scarier films.

I just got out of Xiu Xiu Plays the Music of Twin Peaks live. Essential show for fans of the music and experimental music. Incredible show. Pink Room, Audrey Horne's and Sycamore Trees were amazing. The last 15 minutes was layers of dark ambient and harsh noise while reading very disturbing passages from Laura's Diary. All the while images of ceiling fans, staircases, forests etc were scrolling on projectors.

Any fans honestly need to see their show.

I just got out of Xiu Xiu Plays the Music of Twin Peaks live. Essential show for fans of the music and experimental music. Incredible show. Pink Room, Audrey Horne's and Sycamore Trees were amazing. The last 15 minutes was layers of dark ambient and harsh noise while reading very disturbing passages from Laura's Diary. All the while images of ceiling fans, staircases, forests etc were scrolling on projectors.

They are coming to Baltimore in September.

Will definitely make an attempt to see them.

fenners

Awesome :) I know they're huge big fans of the show.

The only thing I've been bummed about and really wish they didn't do is how obvious it seems the episodes are edited in a way that's meant to be 2 hour episodes. With Dougie at the statue and this episode with DoppelCoop and the other guy leaving the prison the episodes seem to just pick up immediately where they should have just continued.

Futureman

The only thing I've been bummed about and really wish they didn't do is how obvious it seems the episodes are edited in a way that's meant to be 2 hour episodes. With Dougie at the statue and this episode with DoppelCoop and the other guy leaving the prison the episodes seem to just pick up immediately where they should have just continued.

Won't matter in the end when we get the Blu-Ray and can watch an 18 hour David Lynch film.

I really do wonder if the 2nd half of the season will cater more to TP fans. As has been stated, the show has been AMAZING for Lynch fans, but I can understand TP fans being let down. Personally I wouldn't care if the rest is just more heroin fueled Lynch madness.

Whichever camp you sit it, you can't deny this season has been crazy memorable. Helllllllllo!

Won't matter in the end when we get the Blu-Ray and can watch an 18 hour David Lynch film.

I really do wonder if the 2nd half of the season will cater more to TP fans. As has been stated, the show has been AMAZING for Lynch fans, but I can understand TP fans being let down. Personally I wouldn't care if the rest is just more heroin fueled Lynch madness.

Whichever camp you sit it, you can't deny this season has been crazy memorable. Helllllllllo!

I love what we're getting, but a part of me still wishes for a little more of the soap opera Twin Peaks dumb drama.

As much as I hope those words are never said out loud on the show (I don't mind it in Frost's dossiers, it's just not the kind of mystery I want from Lynch), I like this theory better than the one that assumes she's the mother of all the otherworldly entities.
Something just doesn't add up if you think about the increasingly impersonal way she's named in the credits. Experiment Model, Experiment. That doesn't sound like the name you'd give to the most important creature in the show's mythology. It makes her sound artificial, more like a tool than than a character.

Also, she's basically Birdo and I still don't know how I can live with this realization.

Going by Lynch's previous work it seems like for every piece of a hierarchy shown there are 10 more behind it. So I would not expect anything definitive when it comes to cosmic entities.

They are coming to Baltimore in September.

Will definitely make an attempt to see them.

I would recommed it for sure. Especially if they do their Twin Peaks set. It was honestly really incredible.

Awesome :) I know they're huge big fans of the show.

Indeed! Stewart drank water or whatever out of a coffee mug the entire set and closed flailing himself around
singing Mairzy Doats.

Solo

I feel like James was kinda written off when Shelley said he was in a motorcycle accident. Kinda like.....here's James, but he's messed up now. Moving on......

I feel like James was kinda written off when Shelley said he was in a motorcycle accident. Kinda like.....here's James, but he's messed up now. Moving on......

Kind of feel the same way, and the guy with him will show up again later as the new focus as being attached to James in some way.

*By focus I mean, he will be shown again. not that he will be a main character or anything.

Blader

I feel like it's getting pretty late in the season to fold characters like Shelly, James, even Audrey organically into the main plot. The only Twin Peaks-set plot thread that seems relevant to everything is what's going on at the Sheriff's Department (and specifically with just Frank and Hawk).

Solo

At this point I don't see Audrey for example being anything more than a glorified cameo. If you think about what we've seen so far, only Cooper/Mr C/Dougie is the only character of old who is prominently featured. So far Leland, Laura, Jacoby, Shelley, Bobby, James, etc. have more or less been cameo spots. Obviously there's still 10 hours to go, but it's mostly been about focused on Cooper and the new characters. It feels so far like Naomi Watts might be second to Kyle Maclachlan in screentime.

At this point I don't see Audrey for example being anything more than a glorified cameo. If you think about what we've seen so far, only Cooper/Mr C/Dougie is the only character of old who is prominently featured. So far Leland, Laura, Jacoby, Shelley, Bobby, James, etc. have more or less been cameo spots. Obviously there's still 10 hours to go, but it's mostly been about focused on Cooper and the new characters. It feels so far like Naomi Watts might be second to Kyle Maclachlan in screentime.

If the Audrey-MrC rumor pans out, she'd HAVE to have a good amount of screen time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom