• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
I wonder if Bob is going to be like.. actually speaking in this season. Obviously Frank Silva passed away 20 years ago so he can't some back.

Blader

Did Garland ever say blue rose in the series? I can't remember when that happened or why it would've happened (isn't "blue rose" just Gordon Cole's thing, and only mentioned in FWWM with Desmond and Stanley?).

nachum00

Did Garland ever say blue rose in the series? I can't remember when that happened or why it would've happened (isn't "blue rose" just Gordon Cole's thing, and only mentioned in FWWM with Desmond and Stanley?).
Well not all the deleted scenes from FWWM made it into the Missing Pieces. So my guess is it's one of those.

Arsenic13

Don't know the source but this is hilarious.
Tll1TGP.jpg

DDa3RJzUMAAjY-i.jpg

Yeah, the first mention of "blue rose" was in FWWM. Curious/hoping more outtakes exist that we haven't seen. David Bowie died in January '16 and filming for season 3 started at least as early as Sept '15 with Catherine Coulson filming scenes before she died. Maybe...

Airola

I wonder if Bob is going to be like.. actually speaking in this season. Obviously Frank Silva passed away 20 years ago so he can't some back.

Some of the moments he spoke in the first two seasons weren't exactly the high points of the series.

The "I have the fury of my own momentum" line on Missing Pieces is fantastic though, but holy hell the "COOP! What happened to Josie?! HAAAHHHAHHAHAAHAHA" was something else.

Plum

is it though? i feel like the violence is a lot less centralized in the new series. he is painting a more broader picture of evil and murder. the first people we see killed are the couple in NYC, which has nothing to do with the town of Twin Peaks, as far as we can tell. it is heavily implied Evil Cooper has been killing people for 25 years. then there is Ike the Spike, who imo isn't necessarily related to Bob (Cooper sees the arm during their confrontation Spike doesn't). it's just this random chaos. same thing w the kid getting hit by a car. that was so shocking because it was senseless. he is bringing the senselessness back to murder.

the original series sort of made an idol out of Laura's murder, here we have a more cynical, more chaotic view of murder and death. it's not just some romanticized thing, the plot of one conveniently identifiable evil force invading one small town father and committing a handful of murders. it is this all-encompassing thing. like the mutant born from our atomic tests, it is an ugly truth of humanity.

Interesting way to see it because, yeah, outside of Dopplecoop the violence this season has had very little do with the lodge spirits directly. You could also argue that Cooper getting trapped in the black lodge was known/planned all along, especially considering Bob just kills Windom Earle outright. I still find it weird but I'm able to look past it.

I wonder if the girl who received the creature from the egg released by the experiment is the rich person funding the NYC experiment; trying to reconnect with her mother.

Flipyap

Why is everyone suddenly making Mario-themed photoshop edits of Twin Peaks? Was there something in the water? In the well? Did we all nom on some magical monster bugs while we were napping?!

I'm not sure if he ever did. The way his face moves looks pretty darn unnatural, so if the shot was manufactured, they could have easily assembled the "blue rose" from fragments of other words.

lol "the consensus". fuck the consensus.

some people will pretend they've "figured out" Mulholland Drive. hilarious. these people entirely miss the point.

I agree that anyone who thinks they've figured out Twin Peaks based on what we've seen so far is deluding themselves.

However, Mulholland Drive is not exceedingly cryptic and it's quite easy to "figure out" within a reasonable margin of ambiguity. There is little unknown in that movie.

Levito

Banned
I mean, isn't Mulholland Drive basically just about how brutal it is to be a young actress in LA?

Note: I literally watched the movie for the first time two night ago. (three actors from the season 3 were in it, ha)

Mulholland Drive is not exceedingly cryptic and it's quite easy to "figure out" within a reasonable margin of ambiguity. There is little unknown in that movie.

the main characters change names and identities halfway through the movie. this is unconventional.

yes you can explain it w a list or something but it isn't explicitly made clear in the movie that "your theory about it all being a dream is 100% what we meant". this is missing the point imo. if this movie is about anything it is about saying fuck the narrative. i watched it for the first time when it came out in theater. i was giddy at many scenes. it was largely exciting because it made no sense, there was an atmosphere that anything could happen, and it did.

the main characters change names and identities halfway through the movie. this is unconventional.

yes you can explain it w a list or something but it isn't explicitly made clear in the movie that "your theory about it all being a dream is 100% what we meant". this is missing the point imo. if this movie is about anything it is about saying fuck the narrative. i watched it for the first time when it came out in theater. i was giddy at many scenes. it was largely exciting because it made no sense, there was an atmosphere that anything could happen, and it did.

Sure but many people (and critics) tend to dismiss every explanation and theory because they didn't understand anything about the film themselves, so they think the film cannot be explained or understood at all! I'm not saying you are like this, but I have heard it many times in relation to Mulholland Drive in particular. These people still tend to like that particular film, so it's all good. But the film can definitely be figured out, at least for the most part. Some parts are really, really abstract...

A few thoughts:

I think this episode pretty much confirms that the "off" looking visual effects are entirely intentional. Look at the muzzle flash for the gunshots near the beginning. They are clearly an effect. We know that Lynch hired some serious armorers for the series; every weapon shown on camera so far has been a nasty, heavy looking piece of hardware, several of which have been almost lovingly pictured. Just using some stage blanks would have cost nothing and would have produced a convincing muzzle flash, but they go with the shoddy looking visual effect here -- clearly they have the budget for more ambitious visuals, which we soon see after this point, so the video effects have to be a stylistic choice.

I'm not too interested in explaining or rationalizing the actual plot, simply because there's 10 more hours to go. Chances are we're going to look back after this season's over and say, "Wow, we were all completely wrong back on episode 8. Man that was presumptuous of us."

That said, I'm around halfway through the Secret History book at the moment, and during the scenes with the New Mexico motorists I couldn't help but think back to all the alien material in the book. In it, there are several incidents described where people driving at night reported seeing strange lights. In the show, we have people from that time period and location (Roswell), being accosted by beings that come down from the sky, come alongside people's cars and ask about lights. While they do this, there's actually flashing lights coming from behind them. Perhaps we're taking the woodsmen a little too literally? Perhaps the alien sightings from back then were actually encouraged by the government or other forces in order to actually cover up the supernatural lodge dealings?

I look forward to never knowing.

Sure but many people (and critics) tend to dismiss every explanation and theory because they didn't understand anything about the film themselves, so they think the film cannot be explained or understood at all! I'm not saying you are like this, but I have heard it many times in relation to Mulholland Drive in particular.

oh yeah. i just don't like to commit to a narrative when the director purposefully did not put an explicit one in the work.

at this point im going to step aside and say my idea of "explaining" the film or "understanding" it may be different from yours. Lynch comes from an experimental background. a background in avant garde, painting, stop motion, and animation. he works with forms and cuts, with imagery, with design. he creates as he works. he improvises. he does not know what a movie is about while he is making it. creating it is part of the process. thus the creative process becomes part of the movie.

you can watch an experimental piece and "understand" it on an emotional level. you can see the shapes and colors and light and have an experience. you do not need to know what real world form it is supposed to mimick. this is the magic of film. it can use things that are not just form. this is why film is not painting. why film is not photography. it presents images, one after the other, in quick succession. the entire thing is a lie, the entire thing is a series of still images that exists in your head, that YOU put together.

saying that "you understand" just seems like the ultimate back-patting, like congrats, you out of everyone actually knows what David Lynch was thinking every moment of the months he spent writing and filming and editing this and doing the sound work. its just a hilarious statement to make. im fine w saying "i dont know and that excites me". Lynch is dealing mystery after mystery, especially with the latest, and i don't ever want anything explained. there is nothing to understand. they are making this up as they go along. Twin Peaks is not a thing that happened in real life that they are documenting. they are making it up as they went along. but that isn't a bad thing. it is glorious, it is Good News.

And Lynch's movies vary in terms of whether they're 'solvable' or not.

Mulholland Drive is a puzzle with no picture on the box, but all the pieces you need to put it together. Once they all snap into place it all makes sense, and you're left looking at a beautiful picture.

Lost Highway is a pile of puzzle pieces that seem like they should fit together somehow, but just when you think you've got it, it won't connect. You go to bed unfulfilled and have the most vivid nightmares you've ever had.

With Eraserhead the puzzle pieces all fit together, but rather than forming a picture, it just gives you a feeling in your stomach you can't really describe.

Flipyap

A few thoughts:

I think this episode pretty much confirms that the "off" looking visual effects are entirely intentional. Look at the muzzle flash for the gunshots near the beginning. They are clearly an effect. We know that Lynch hired some serious armorers for the series; every weapon shown on camera so far has been a nasty, heavy looking piece of hardware, several of which have been almost lovingly pictured. Just using some stage blanks would have cost nothing and would have produced a convincing muzzle flash, but they go with the shoddy looking visual effect here -- clearly they have the budget for more ambitious visuals, which we soon see after this point, so the video effects have to be a stylistic choice.
I'd like to hear some theories as to why they'd intentionally alternate between using high and low quality effects at random (sometimes in the same scene or same context). It doesn't make any sense to me.
They clearly used blanks in Part 7, so maybe they just couldn't get a permit to fire a gun during that night shoot...?
Or maybe it's related to Lynch's obsession with secrecy. This was likely an extra-secret scene, so if he wanted to cut down on potential leakers, it would make sense to shoot it in a way that doesn't require an armorer and safety services.

What is going on?!?!
I don't know and it's freaking me out!

I'd like to hear some theories as to why they'd intentionally alternate between using high and low quality effects at random (sometimes in the same scene or same context). It doesn't make any sense to me.
They clearly used blanks in Part 7, so maybe they just couldn't get a permit to fire a gun during that night shoot...?
Or maybe it's related to Lynch's obsession with secrecy. This was likely an extra-secret scene, so if he wanted to cut down on potential leakers, it would make sense to shoot it in a way that doesn't require an armorer and safety services.

I don't know and it's freaking me out!
Wonder if this has anything to do with the warping effects in part 2 when Mr. C shot the principal's wife and her distorted bullet wound.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Watched Eraserhead today finally after the mentions in this thread and yeaaa wtf haha. It's crazy how connected some of the scenes are though to twin peaks and the origin story. Worth a watch for sure with max volume and decent bass.

moggio

Banned
I just rewatched The Straight Story for the first time in about 15 years. Still gives me the feels.

He also uses the "what's the number for 911?" gag here too.

And what a beautiful performance by Richard Farnsworth.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
what's with the mario shops, lmao

Is the "Secret History of Twin Peaks" worth reading? Because it costs fucking 40 € here, lol.
I found it to be pretty fun. Heavy on the mythology of the show, and there's a lot of real life trivia too included in the stories, reports and documents. The dossier style is neat and well done. 40€ is kind of steep though.

Joqu

Is the "Secret History of Twin Peaks" worth reading? Because it costs fucking 40 € here, lol.

Where are you at that it'd cost you 40 €? Unless they don't ship to your country you could always go with a site like bookdepository, it's 17 € on there. Free international shipping.

did anyone catch the massive On The Air reference when they were in the 50s murdering radio dudes and a big sign said "ON AIR".

love this show. this is more than i could have ever wanted. the insanity of that final episode of the original series stretched out in a drip feed over 18 hours! Lynch given complete control to do whatever he wants.

people that think the effects suck would change other things to in order to make this more like other shows. they are mistaking artistic intent for technical ineptitude. again, Lynch has been working with painting, film, stop motion, animation, sound design, editing, etc. for over 4 decades. he knows what he is doing. he is doing it on purpose. he has been working with digital (enthusiastically and exclusively) for over a decade now. if you have only seen one or two of his feature films before this you may not understand. you need to watch more of what he has done, listen to interviews with him on his process, you will understand it is a very hands-on project. again these people that claim he is failing to meet a technical standard are assuming he wants to aim for that standard. they are imposing a convention on someone who has made a career of subverting convention.

oh yeah. i just don't like to commit to a narrative when the director purposefully did not put an explicit one in the work.

at this point im going to step aside and say my idea of "explaining" the film or "understanding" it may be different from yours. Lynch comes from an experimental background. a background in avant garde, painting, stop motion, and animation. he works with forms and cuts, with imagery, with design. he creates as he works. he improvises. he does not know what a movie is about while he is making it. creating it is part of the process. thus the creative process becomes part of the movie.

you can watch an experimental piece and "understand" it on an emotional level. you can see the shapes and colors and light and have an experience. you do not need to know what real world form it is supposed to mimick. this is the magic of film. it can use things that are not just form. this is why film is not painting. why film is not photography. it presents images, one after the other, in quick succession. the entire thing is a lie, the entire thing is a series of still images that exists in your head, that YOU put together.

saying that "you understand" just seems like the ultimate back-patting, like congrats, you out of everyone actually knows what David Lynch was thinking every moment of the months he spent writing and filming and editing this and doing the sound work. its just a hilarious statement to make. im fine w saying "i dont know and that excites me". Lynch is dealing mystery after mystery, especially with the latest, and i don't ever want anything explained. there is nothing to understand. they are making this up as they go along. Twin Peaks is not a thing that happened in real life that they are documenting. they are making it up as they went along. but that isn't a bad thing. it is glorious, it is Good News.

I get what you're saying, but I still somewhat disagree. Mulholland Drive is not just a succession of random images and sounds. Yeah maybe most of it came from Lynch's subconscious mind and/or was improvised, and maybe it's impossible to put into words what it "means", and that's totally fine. I loved Mulholland Drive from the first moment I saw it, on a purely emotional level. But I did also try to "solve" it, and I think I know what it "means", at least to me. I'm not claiming that I possess the TRUTH about what it means though.

I think the same applies to Twin Peaks. "There is nothing to understand" is just a silly thing to say. We are curious by nature. We want to understand. But I love the fact that Lynch doesn't explain anything!

people that think the effects suck would change other things to in order to make this more like other shows. they are mistaking artistic intent for technical ineptitude. again, Lynch has been working with painting, film, stop motion, animation, sound design, editing, etc. for over 4 decades. he knows what he is doing. he is doing it on purpose. he has been working with digital (enthusiastically and exclusively) for over a decade now. if you have only seen one or two of his feature films before this you may not understand. you need to watch more of what he has done, listen to interviews with him on his process, you will understand it is a very hands-on project. again these people that claim he is failing to meet a technical standard are assuming he wants to aim for that standard. they are imposing a convention on someone who has made a career of subverting convention.

This! So much this!

Futureman

I think another issue is people throwing their arms in the air and saying, "This doesn't make any sense!" when we aren't even half way through the season.

Even if you don't dig the new season because it's not Twin Peaks enough, at least every episode has been super memorable.

Hellllllo!

Kadayi

Banned
I spent most of today listening to various podcasts discussing the last episode whilst at work and the wait for the next episode is already fierce. Two weeks ....

HotHamBoy

Find a free trial for aubible, get TSHOTP with your credit, then cancel the account sub. Voila, free and legal TSHOTP.

The hardback book is lovely though.

A plus to the audiobook is that it is read by cast members. Plus, multitasking.

Aye, I just realized you definitely don't have Mulholland Dr without Bergman's Persona.

A plus to the audiobook is that it is read by cast members. Plus, multitasking.

Aye, I just realized you definitely don't have Mulholland Dr without Bergman's Persona.

Slightly disappointing turn by Kyle though, he seemed to be sleeping through it. Only sounded like Coop when talking about Norma's um... pie.

Vectorman

Banned
So I just got my Trouble - Snake Eyes 7'' from Sacred Bones Records today and man no wonder they tried to send these a little bit after episode 8. Neat little easter eggs referring to the radio station from New Mexico. I'm not sure if this means that New Mexico might continue to be in this show, but these references are pretty neat. Here's an imgur album of a couple photos and a scan of the mini-poster within.

http://imgur.com/a/s4dvI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom