• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterGK

This wait for the next episode is putting me on edge. Might have to start smoking again.

giphy.gif

I don't understand why nobody gave him a fucking light and just get on with it.... xD

Levito

Banned
Yeah, we can rule the boy out from being Leland too, since he grew up in Twin Peaks. We don't know it's not Sarah yet, I don't think, since we don't have info on her birthplace to my knowledge.

Leland said he "met" Bob when he was a boy in Twin Peaks so yeah, the boy probably wasn't him.

So the couple from 1956 are the parents of
Laura Palmer , right? Leland and Sarah? I mean, it would make sense

That's what it seemed to me but people seem to be preferring much more complicated explanations.

Edit: Should have read further, oops. Turns out it can't be them.

I was unsure about this weeks episode the first time I watched it, initially frustrated that I was being denied Cooper revival progress.

However, once I realised the brilliance of the episode, it wouldn't leave my mind. The Woodsmen and that journey to the centre of the atom bomb will become as iconic for this run as the Red Room scene did for the first.

Drink full.

That's what it seemed to me but people seem to be preferring much more complicated explanations.

It's not really about preferring more complicated explanations- it's just that making it Leland/Sarah would require retconning basically everything that's been established about their past. Plus, it seems to be a bit of a stretch that a young Latino boy grew up to be Leland.

I was thinking that the whole time.... But I heard nobody talking about that here... Must be right?

It isn't Laura's parents. They didn't meet till college.

Yeah, we can rule the boy out from being Leland too, since he grew up in Twin Peaks. We don't know it's not Sarah yet, I don't think, since we don't have info on her birthplace to my knowledge.

Leland said he "met" Bob when he was a boy in Twin Peaks so yeah, the boy probably wasn't him.

That's weird. Where did you get that info? Is it canon? Did I miss something in the first two seasons?

It's still possible that we haven't met Leland yet. They'll probably have more scenes in the small New Mexico town in the 50s where we'll undoubtedly be introduced to more characters.

On the subject of the 1950s scenes, I really liked the electric zapping sounds when we first see that 'smoke man' confronting the motorist couple. I just loved how it was dripping with actual details from stories of eye witness accounts of alien encounters or Men In Black, who looked human, but looked and sounded odd. I'm gonna take a guess that these eye witness accounts (and deaths in the town) will eventually be reported to the USAF's project blue book! Possible young Major Briggs cameo I hope!

Like many of you, I didn't much care for the details of Laura's 'purpose' via The Giant being shown, but you gotta admit, it's kind of cool that they'll probably link the Air Force and project blue book stuff from the first 2 seasons to now.

After this last episode I return to my theory of this being some kind of being and possibly what the owl symbol actually is.

AWA8usr.jpg

Possibly related to BugFrog?
Are you suggesting that what you thought was an owl is not what it seems?
sorry

Watched Blue Velvet last night, Mullholland Drive today. Really enjoyed both. Was only familiar with Twin Peaks and Eraserhead. Will check out Inland Empire when I get the chance

When Bob finally leaves Leland and Leland is laying on the floor of the jail, he tells Cooper "I met him[Bob] when I was a little boy".

This scene.

Oh damn, yeah...
but..."little boy"...I don't know...how old are they in 1956? 16-18? I don't know. I mean..yeah little boy...I'm thinking about a child but it could also mean "not an adult", right?

Are you suggesting that what you thought was an owl is not what it seems?
sorry

Watched Blue Velvet last night, Mullholland Drive today. Really enjoyed both. Was only familiar with Twin Peaks and Eraserhead. Will check out Inland Empire when I get the chance

Lol, basically. My thought since that card showed up is that the owl symbol was confused for something else. Possibly the Experiment, or something else. Brought it back up just because the bug thing showed up which made me think of it.

Anyone have any theories about what happened to Hawk in the second episode?

Ep1: Hawk gets the phone call from The Log Lady about Cooper and starts investigating.
Ep2. Hawk goes into the woods and tells The Log Lady something's going to happen that night. He comes across the area with the trees and oil patch from season two, he sees the red drapes appear, then the scene cuts.
Ep3. Back to investigating like nothing happened until he discovers the torn out pages from Laura's diary a few episodes later.

Gut reaction is we're seeing things out of order.

Ep1: Hawk gets the phone call from The Log Lady about Cooper and starts investigating.
Ep2. Hawk goes into the woods and tells The Log Lady something's going to happen that night. He comes across the area with the trees and oil patch from season two, he sees the red drapes appear, then the scene cuts.
Ep3. Back to investigating like nothing happened until he discovers the torn out pages from Laura's diary a few episodes later.

"Is it future? Or is it past"

I'd bet on it

hmm...got a light?
hmmm....fire walk with me?
he needs fire...no...he wants fire.
no one gives him fire. bad idea.

Sarah saw the white horse...that makes sense if Sarah is the woman who appeared in the year of 1956 (but apparently that's not the case).
But why did Cooper see the white horse in episode ...2 (I think it was 2)? He was still in the black lodge (or in the waiting room of the black lodge).
The woodsman has definitely something to do with the white horse.

This poem puts people to sleep....and Cooper is asleep and he saw the white horse in the lodge (Mike tells him to wake up)...there seems to be a connection.

Thread has been moving fast, great stuff. This may have been covered but in regards to Phillip Jeffries, there is promise of a David Bowie cameo simply because I do not think they have dedicated an episode yet to Bowie. I believe they have for many of the other deceased actors during the early episodes in which they first appeared, but I may be wrong all around.

I have simply been locked in on The Return, what a weird and wild ride. While I understand folks losing interest or not even having interest in the show in the first place, I simply can't wait to see how each episode unfolds and where the journey will ultimately take us. I have to imagine many others having the same sentiment.

I have been enjoying reading everyone's theories on where we are and where we are going.. I ultimately think there will be a classic good vs. evil clash between Cooper (post-Dougie) and Mr. C., either on earth, in the Lodge or both. A Battle of the Lodges with savior Laura and Bob/Experiment right in the mix.

Of course, with how things roll on this show, I very much expect things to go a completely other way or into a different plane of existence altogether ...

Rien

Jelly Belly
I think this is a good moment to stop and appreciate the European PS2 launch commercial by David Lynch.

https://youtu.be/msMehuZo3x8

Thats something... i like it! These commercials are memorable and make me want to go to the store and purchase the product, if not just being very interested at least.
Much better then these plastic, fake, blue cheesy shizzle with way to much text nowadays. I love these smaller more darker styled Lynch styled stuff. Just like the girl with the alien head in the PSX era. 20 years later and i still remember that.

Flipyap

It's not really about preferring more complicated explanations- it's just that making it Leland/Sarah would require retconning basically everything that's been established about their past. Plus, it seems to be a bit of a stretch that a young Latino boy grew up to be Leland.
Wanting to associate every new bit of information with previously introduced characters is one of the most basic nerd instincts, but if there was ever a story where that might not be a good idea - it's this one.
We've already seen so many non sequitur story lines and characters, I'm not even willing to bet that we've been introduced to the right Richard and Linda.

Given how Truman didn't seem to be even slightly weirded out by the story about his brother's BFF entering a portal to another dimension, it seems possible that Hawk did see the curtains, shrugged and went back home.
Maybe it's a leftover part of a scene he used to share with Margaret? It might have been at attempt at establishing that he's personally aware of the exact kind of the weirdness in the woods, it's too bad it ended up looking so unfinished.

I think this is a good moment to stop and appreciate the European PS2 launch commercial by David Lynch.

https://youtu.be/msMehuZo3x8
The Making Of video is also super duper worth watching.

“This is so fucking beautiful.”

RetroGameAudio

Neo Member
Revisiting the idea of why Evil Coop was spotted in the hospital by Doc Hayward shortly after the end of S2, the idea that he did something horrible to Audrey while she was in a coma (explaining who Richard's parents are) doesn't sit well with me. I thought Doc Hayward was just trying to rationalize why he saw Cooper there, and he simply guessed it had something to do with Audrey. I figured that was just a red herring for something much more significant. Bear in mind that Annie and the ring were also in the hospital. Wouldn't those have been of much greater importance to Evil Coop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YblGYcH_2M

In the missing pieces, Annie is rushed to the hospital. It cuts to Cooper in the lodge, and he asks the Arm about where the ring is. He then surmises that Annie must have it, but the Arm corrects him and clarifies that someone else took the ring. Then we see that a nurse stole it from Annie.

Compare and contrast this to Audrey, who was presumably "over" Cooper because she fell in love with Billy Zane. And she also wound up in the hospital for reasons unrelated to him. That just doesn't strike me as relevant to Evil Coop. I think that while Good Dale was trapped in the lodge and wondering about the location of the ring, Evil Cooper was out also trying to find the ring at the same time. And that's why Hayward spotted him.

Chumley

Banned
What if Boy (1956) is an older version of Hit and Run Boy? Maybe he didn't really die. It's possible that Little Dicky Horne invented time travel. What if he hit the kid at exactly 88 miles per hour? Did we get a look at his speedometer?

VBOVzyX.gif

Blue Rose

Jokab

What if Boy (1956) is an older version of Hit and Run Boy? Maybe he didn't really die. It's possible that Little Dicky Horne invented time travel. What if he hit the kid at exactly 88 miles per hour? Did we get a look at his speedometer?

VBOVzyX.gif

I just love Kyle's delivery of braindead Coop. I kind of hate the storyline right now, but the delivery is spot on.

Blader

We don't know that he sees the Black Lodge drapes appear. I took that scene just to mean that the lodge was opening again, and not that Hawk could see it or was about to enter it.

We don't know that he sees the Black Lodge drapes appear. I took that scene just to mean that the lodge was opening again, and not that Hawk could see it or was about to enter it.

I've brought this up before. The stars aligned and a chance presented itself, I reckon he must have seen it.

Someone here responded by saying "Is it future? Or is it past?". The scene feels like it should have happened after he found the diary pages, because he knows what the Lodges are.

I've brought this up before. The stars aligned and a chance presented itself, I reckon he must have seen it.

Someone here responded by saying "Is it future? Or is it past?". The scene feels like it should have happened after he found the diary pages, because he knows what the Lodges are.

I rewatched Part 2 and after that Hawk scene we go right to the Red Room where Philip Gerard asks "Is it Future or Is it Past?"

PolishQ

I would assume that Hawk and at least most of the higher-ups at the Sheriff's Department know about the entrance to the Lodge there, and periodically keep an eye on it.

Perhaps if Cooper hadn't been "NON-EXIST-ENT"ed, Hawk would have seen Cooper step out of the curtains that night. The Log Lady felt that Cooper's time had come. But because of The Arm's doppelganger, nothing emerges from Glastonberry Grove and Hawk goes back empty-handed, other than with a vague feeling that things are afoot.

This is amazing. The music during Bad Coop being tended to (?) by the Woodsmen is Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" majorly slowed down.

Clip in the show.

Clip sped up.

Super cool.

I would assume that Hawk and at least most of the higher-ups at the Sheriff's Department know about the entrance to the Lodge there, and periodically keep an eye on it.

Perhaps if Cooper hadn't been "NON-EXIST-ENT"ed, Hawk would have seen Cooper step out of the curtains that night. The Log Lady felt that Cooper's time had come. But because of The Arm's doppelganger, nothing emerges from Glastonberry Grove and Hawk goes back empty-handed, other than with a vague feeling that things are afoot.

That works, although the implication I got was that Coop was going to 'come out' where Mr C was driving through South Dakota during the day, rather than coming out whatever that night is in Glastonbury grove (since the stuff in Twin Peaks seems to be happening on it's own timeline compared to everything else). The only direct tie we have there is the key that Jade sent. I still feel that the scenes we see in Twin Peaks have been from a much shorter period of time to the scenes we've seen elsewhere, but they've been intentionally spread out throughout all the parts. If we saw these events chronologically, I don't think we'd hit the town for quite a few parts.

Also, they reference Hawk going to the house where Leland said BOB lived, and it's in Twin Peaks.

Yes. But there's a load of wiggle room with that whole thing. Hawk doesn't find any Robertson, as Leland tells them about. Who knows how much of Leland's recollection of seeing Bob where he claims he saw him is based in reality, and how much is Bob's manipulation of Leland's memories, or just Bob straight up lying to the police with Leland's mouth.

I don't think the boy in 1957 is Leland, and I don't think Marcia the Frogbug is Bob either, but I certainly wouldn't take something Leland told the police as reliable evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom