• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
Right. That's interesting. Can you link me to that Q&A?
Back in 2006/7 he was sticking up for the choice and saying he liked the look of the soft noisy image because the flaws were right for this film.

I remembered where I read his quote about how the movie went from a couple of unrelated scenes to something with an (abstract) overarching structure. It's from Catching the Big Fish.

It used to be here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDOebdb1BvI but it got taken down. It was a 3 hour conversation between him and a bunch of students from one of his film class things. If I find a re-up I'll post it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird because it was up since 2015, but then as soon as I posted it on GAF...
This site has high visibility on Google. it's a shame.

I wish Lynch had made more 'homemade' films. Back when DSLR video was starting up I remember hope that it could help foster another 'new wave' of experimentation and creatively liberated films from people who wouldn't usually have the means to get their voices out there. However, the person who I think best used the freedom of the new tools was Lynch, already wealthy, already an established master.
If he didn't want to or couldn't make a bigger budget project the traditional way, it would have been nice to see him use this freedom and do more improvised or experimental films. It would have been nice to see him shoot with DSLRs, or in different ways than he did with IE.

It would have been nice to see him do anything on film in the past 10 years, really. He clearly has no shortage of ideas based on this new Twin Peaks.

I can confirm that The Straight Story is A-tier Lynch. The reason that everybody says that it's Lynch's version of a Disney film is because that's exactly what it is. We've seen this type of story told numerous times, especially in the 90's. The difference is in the methods used to tell the story. Typically, this type of movie would have contained the usual audience manipulation techniques that are designed to specifically tug at the average moviegoers heartstrings. The result usually comes out as a dispensable piece of work that never gets talked about again. Instead, Lynch uses all of the tools available to him to make this a quintessential David Lynch movie. From the humor displayed from characters that will pop in and out (the woman that frequently crashes into deer) and even to his meticulous sound design (the sounds that come from Alvin losing control of his lawnmower are straight out of my nightmares). All components are his. The ending is pure emotion, but there is nothing artificial about it. It's earned.

Badalamenti's score is the cherry on top. It might even be Angelo's best.

120v

But holy hell at Inland Empire. I thought I was ready for that film. I was not. At all. It was like I was going crazy in real time with the film, and it made episode 8 look fucking straight forward by comparison. I love Lynch's dream like shit, I love his surrealism, he makes stuff that I would find pretentious in other films and shows work. But my God, this is the first film of his I found completely incomprehensible. TBH, it felt like indulgent nonsense. Am I missing something?

i'm in the minority, but i never found it all that wildly incomprehensible. i mean yes the ''narrative" is turgid and at the running length it's a beast of film to sit through, just like you wouldn't pick up Ulysses for brisk summer reading. but in the gist of things i don't think it's that much more 'out there' than Lost Highway or Muholland Drive

to be deductive as possible it's basically a movie within a movie along with a bunch of running side narratives that loosely connect both. where things get messy is when it disregards time and setting but i think the point is nikki/susan/polish girl are in the same personal hell it doesn't particularly matter in the end

definitely benefits from multiple viewings, though obvs it takes a certain mood to sit through it (as much as i liked it it can get on my nerves sometimes)

Flipyap

You're not. I don't even really consider it an actual film from him. He admits in interviews he never even designed it as one in the beginning, it was just vignettes he shot when he first got his hands on digital video that he later put together.
Wouldn't that also disqualify Mulholland Drive from being considered a film? It's basically the same creative process taken to an extreme. The main difference is that it was Lynch's idea to combine those vignettes into Inland Empire, while Mulholland Drive came to be because a production company wanted to rescue a failed pilot and that necessitated the invention of its ending.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Inland Empire is great as long as you don't concern yourself with wanting to ”follow" it. There's a whole bunch of fantastic scenes.
I think part of the fun is trying to follow it - there are allusions to other unrelated sequences and recurring motifs that make it seem like it might just come together...only then the continuity gets even more confounding.
The key is not getting angry that it's not starting to make sense.

I think part of the fun is trying to follow it - there are allusions to other unrelated sequences and recurring motifs that make it seem like it might just come together...only then the continuity gets even more confounding.
The key is not getting angry that it's not starting to make sense.

Obviously there’s obvious links and parallels between the scenes but I think a lot of people get caught up on the structure post the first third of the movie. If you just observe it and don’t obsess over worrying about “why” it’s super enjoyable.

Certainly more enjoyable than The Straight Story, which is fine and in its own way quite beautiful, but didn’t really leave much with me beyond a few scenes.

Chumley

Banned
Wouldn't that also disqualify Mulholland Drive from being considered a film? It's basically the same creative process taken to an extreme. The main difference is that it was Lynch's idea to combine those vignettes into Inland Empire, while Mulholland Drive came to be because a production company wanted to rescue a failed pilot and that necessitated the invention of its ending.

I guess. Inland Empire just looks and sounds so much worse than everything he's ever done, and isn't put together with the same attention to detail and craft. It doesn't feel like a movie Lynch considers as important as his other work, and doesn't have the production values to match. It's just some stuff he did and then put together. So, sure, it's technically one of his films but to me it's always been an experiment first. Maybe my opinion would be different if it was shot with a good camera and good audio. I'm a DP and visuals are big for me, so the absolute shit image quality and cinematography is the main thing that stuck with me after seeing it, especially because I love Lynch for his visuals. I'm just surprised he decided to go with digital video so early in its lifespan when it looked that bad, I wish a cinematographer at the time would have told him to just wait a couple of years if he needed that creative freedom so badly. 480p is flat out unacceptable for a 3 hour movie.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I guess. Inland Empire just looks and sounds so much worse than everything he's ever done, and isn't put together with the same attention to detail and craft. It doesn't feel like a movie Lynch considers as important as his other work, and doesn't have the production values to match. It's just some stuff he did and then put together. So, sure, it's technically one of his films but to me it's always been an experiment first. Maybe my opinion would be different if it was shot with a good camera and good audio. I'm a DP and visuals are a big thing for me, so the absolute shit image quality and cinematography is the main thing that stuck with me after seeing it, especially because I love Lynch for his visuals. I'm just surprised he decided to go with digital video so early in its lifespan when it looked that bad.
The movie was born of DV and it wouldn't exist without it. DV allowed for shooting whenever he felt like it at a moment's notice, making scenes as they came to him, letting them roll as long as he liked, and not having a fixed end point. He couldn't improvise a film over three years if he was using film and the size of crew it demands.

I wouldn’t attack the cinematography in inland at all. It looks “bad” but it’s also supposed to look like that. There’s some really striking and unique visuals as a result.

Chumley

Banned
The movie was born of DV and it wouldn't exist without it. DV allowed for shooting whenever he felt like it at a moment's notice, making scenes as they came to him, letting them roll as long as he liked, and not having a fixed end point. He couldn't improvise a film over three years if he was using film and the size of crew it demands.

The tech still wasn't ready, though. It just isn't worth it to sacrifice the quality of cinematography to the extent he did. Any DP worth their salt would have looked at those dailies and said it's unwatchable, and then told Lynch in 2 years small cameras that can do HD and give you depth of field will be out.

And I think the idea that its "meant" to look and sound bad is letting him off the hook just because he's Lynch.

The reason Chivo and Deakins didn't start shooting digital until 2012/2013 is because they knew it wasn't ready for the cinema until then. I agree with them, though I'd be even more lenient and say the first 1080p DSLR's were ready for the cinema.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't attack the cinematography in inland at all. It looks ”bad" but it's also supposed to look like that. There's some really striking and unique visuals as a result.
I agree.
The tech still wasn't ready, though. It just isn't worth it to sacrifice the quality of cinematography to the extent he did. Any DP worth their salt would have looked at those dailies and said it's unwatchable, and then told Lynch in 2 years small cameras that can do HD and give you depth of field will be out.
Hindsight is 20/20. He started shooting it in 2003. The 5D Mk II HD in 2007 took everyone by surprise. HD video in DSLRs started as a happy accident because journalists requested to use the live feed on the rear LCD to record video.
And I think the idea that its "meant" to look and sound bad is letting him off the hook just because he's Lynch.
All I can say is that I get totally absorbed in the movie when I watch it and whether or not it looks 'bad' becomes entirely beside the point. There are moments like some of the early day time footage where it would definitely improve the presentation if a more capable camera were being used, but there's also moments where the haziness and graininess of the footage adds to the sense of being in a nightmare.

A thought I've had before is that as it starts to get really fucked up around the middle of the movie the DV look gives it this sense of being 'real'. Like I might actually be watching some messed up horror from the internet or a real life version of the video from The Ring.
The reason Chivo and Deakins didn't start shooting digital until 2012/2013 is because they knew it wasn't ready for the cinema until then. I agree with them, though I'd be even more lenient and say the first 1080p DSLR's were ready for the cinema.
I don't think they were - some of those early Canon DLSR shot movies looked UGLY on a cinema screen. If they were made up of mostly close-ups it was alright, but the detail wasn't there for wide shots. I remember thinking that Like Crazy looked completely amateurish.
Inland Empire at least had interesting visual ideas that were sometimes born from the limitations of DV, and the ugliness of the look becomes complementary to the mood.

yepyepyep

The grainy footage of Inland empire seems intentional like a Dogme 95 film. I don't think it would have the same nightmare quality if it was cleanly shot.

I guess. Inland Empire just looks and sounds so much worse than everything he's ever done, and isn't put together with the same attention to detail and craft. It doesn't feel like a movie Lynch considers as important as his other work, and doesn't have the production values to match. It's just some stuff he did and then put together. So, sure, it's technically one of his films but to me it's always been an experiment first. Maybe my opinion would be different if it was shot with a good camera and good audio. I'm a DP and visuals are big for me, so the absolute shit image quality and cinematography is the main thing that stuck with me after seeing it, especially because I love Lynch for his visuals. I'm just surprised he decided to go with digital video so early in its lifespan when it looked that bad, I wish a cinematographer at the time would have told him to just wait a couple of years if he needed that creative freedom so badly. 480p is flat out unacceptable for a 3 hour movie.

((((Chumley))))

This is me. Well apart from the being a DP bit, because I'm not a DP. I can't get through Inland Empire because of this. I struggled with large bits of Part 3 and Part 4 because they just looked like raw ungraded video.

I'm so fucking glad that it's a problem that has yet to resurface, The Return looks beautiful, those Parts aside. Whenever I talk about it, people look at me like I've got two heads or something.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
((((Chumley))))

This is me. Well apart from the being a DP bit, because I'm not a DP. I can't get through Inland Empire because of this. I struggled with large bits of Part 3 and Part 4 because they just looked like raw ungraded video.

I'm so fucking glad that it's a problem that has yet to resurface, The Return looks beautiful, those Parts aside. Whenever I talk about it, people look at me like I've got two heads or something.
Honestly the new series is more visually distracting for me than Inland Empire. Some of the exterior shots around part 3 and 4 look pretty bad, and not in a way that convinces me the people involved were aware of that.

Honestly the new series is more visually distracting for me than Inland Empire. Some of the exterior shots around part 3 and 4 look pretty bad, and not in a way that convinces me the people involved were aware of that.

Eh, I think it's intentional even though I hate it. Things get shitty right around the Dougie switch... then stay that way until towards the end of Part 4.

Those scenes were shot all out of order, and possibly even moved around during post production to where they ended up. I can't see no one noticing that this occurs.

Or put it like this. Things go to the video look right after the scene in the purple place where it keeps doubling the same shots, and the second time it shows the shot, it has been aggressively treated with a video look. So I think it's 100% intentional.

I just hate it.

Corpekata

Banned
Starting to catch up. Man Naomi Watts must just have been really grateful for Mullholland Drive because so far she is stuck in an incredibly thankless role that's well beneath her.

Starting to catch up. Man Naomi Watts must just have been really grateful for Mullholland Drive because so far she is stuck in an incredibly thankless role that's well beneath her.

Just remember you are watching a Lynch show and first impressions are likely to be flipped.

hoserx

I think her role is awesome, and she's one of the best new characters.

No new Twin Peaks this Sunday.

Welp, time to watch Episode 8 for the fifth time.

3xc514uon26z.gif

Ashby

I have a four day weekend because of the holiday. I would honestly trade that for a new episode this Sunday night.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I just rewatched Fire Walk With Me this evening. Seeing the way Jeffries speaks to Cooper and what he says means a lot more now.
I've sene a lot of people upset about the expanded scope that this episode brings, but I honestly think it had to happen. As great as it is, that Jeffries scene made no sense. So there's this terrifying network of demonic forces meeting in secret to plan...the rape and murder of one teenage girl.
After that scene the lodge had to become something bigger than just the evil from the woods of Twin Peaks.

hughesta

Banned
I've yet to watch Inland Empire in full but everything I've seen from it, the film quality adds to the hazy nightmare feel. It's probably the film of his I'm most excited to see, because hazy nightmare is what I'm all about and I'm not overly concerned with plot. I feel like it might be the scariest movie ever made (please don't post that phantom face fuck)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I've yet to watch Inland Empire in full but everything I've seen from it, the film quality adds to the hazy nightmare feel. It's probably the film of his I'm most excited to see, because hazy nightmare is what I'm all about and I'm not overly concerned with plot. I feel like it might be the scariest movie ever made (please don't post that phantom face fuck)
It is the scariest movie ever made, and it sucks that you've already seen the scariest part and climax of the movie.

hughesta

Banned
It is the scariest movie ever made, and it sucks that you've already seen the scariest part and climax of the movie.
I think I've known the ending and basic story outline of every Lynch film I've seen just through general osmosis of being a huge Twin Peaks fan and it hasn't stopped them from having an impact on me. I'm not too worried (and I may or may not have literally died if I had watched it blind)

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think I've known the ending and basic story outline of every Lynch film I've seen just through general osmosis of being a huge Twin Peaks fan and it hasn't stopped them from having an impact on me. I'm not too worried (and I may or may not have literally died if I had watched it blind)
I screamed out loud in the cinema.

DOWN

Banned
If I found Season 2 to be one of the biggest drags to watch ever (like the rest of America since the show dropped from #1 on TV to ~#100) should I bother with season 3?

hughesta

Banned
If I found Season 2 to be one of the biggest drags to watch ever (like the rest of America since the show dropped from #1 on TV to ~#100) should I bother with season 3?
if you liked the finale and FWWM, yes.

If you didn't, yes, but proceed with caution.

Sapiens

It's not like she is scooping shit out of the Rancho Rosa toilets. I'd say getting paid to act on a mainstream program directed by a brilliant filmmaker with other big stars is right within her wheelhouse.

No small parts...

I'd say it's likely, we're not even halfway through, and it will probably get even crazier.

i thought episode 3 was the best thing he had ever done. then i saw episode 8 and had a near religious experience during the a bomb test. i'm genuinely dumbfounded as to how lucky we are to get 18 hours of this. this is the greatest reunion thing ever devised.

It's not like she is scooping shit out of the Rancho Rosa toilets. I'd say getting paid to act on a mainstream program directed by a brilliant filmmaker with other big stars is right within her wheelhouse.

No small parts...

???

Like... I just don't get how you could type that and hit submit. The show isn't mainstream in any sense of the word. It's brilliant, and deserves a larger audience (and will continue to find an audience through the decades to come, because it's that good) but it isn't mainstream in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom