• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy Duck

Well I finally got around to listening to the rest of the Secret History.

Fantastic, love the little details and the linking to the conspiracy theories.

Flipyap

I figured as much. I am just wondering if it came from the spot the Red Room appears at.
Oh, yeah:

"They say she went up to visit the Heart of the Forest again the next day. Although dozens of acres had burned around it, the small grove of sycamores there was still standing. Nearby, a magnificent old-growth Douglas fir had fallen during the conflagration. When Margaret came back down she carried a piece of that great tree with her, cradling it like a newborn babe. She knew exactly which part of the great creature to take — it told her as much, she said — and from that day on Margaret and her log were inseparable."

Boem

Do we know where the Log Lady's log is actually from?

Wasn't there something about this in scenes that were in the script but never shot for the original run of the tv show (or maybe I'm mixing it up and it's just a popular fan theory), but the reason Josie ends up as a door knob has to do with that as well: there's some connection between the mystical side and the woods of Twin Peaks, and when Josie died (presumably with some influence from Bob) she got absorbed by those woods, since everything in the Great Northern was made locally. I think she was supposed to appear in the final Red Room scene in the last episode before Lynch threw it all out and did his own thing, but she'd be headless because of that door knob thing - she was stuck between the real world and lodgeworld.

The implication there would be that the log lady's log holds some remnant of her dead husband that died in that fire.

Edit: oh, didn't see the posts above mine. Haven't gotten around to Secret History yet, my stuff is just based on years-old fan discussions.

Wasn't there something about this in scenes that were in the script but never shot for the original run of the tv show (or maybe I'm mixing it up and it's just a popular fan theory), but the reason Josie ends up as a door knob has to do with that as well: there's some connection between the mystical side and the woods of Twin Peaks, and when Josie died (presumably with some influence from Bob) she got absorbed by those woods, since everything in the Great Northern was made locally. I think she was supposed to appear in the final Red Room scene in the last episode before Lynch threw it all out and did his own thing, but she'd be headless because of that door knob thing - she was stuck between the real world and lodgeworld.

The implication there would be that the log lady's log holds some remnant of her dead husband that died in that fire.

Edit: oh, didn't see the posts above mine. Haven't gotten around to Secret History yet, my stuff is just based on years-old fan discussions.

They infer in Secret History that the wood in Jack Parson's house is from Twin Peaks, for example. Wood can clearly hold spirits or act as a conduit in Twin Peaks.

i spent most of yesterday diving back into experimental + abstract film and came upon this Vimeo account held by the Center for Visual Music. i was tracking down some Jordan Belson films and found them hosted here. they remind me greatly of the slow motion atomic explosion. Belson created these abstract films in the 60s and he was a practitioner of mediation. he would meditate and experience visions, and he would hand craft instruments and equipment to replicate the visions in his films. they really seem like living inside of a ghost or star:

Samadhi (1967)
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/35876/124657604

Allures (1961)
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/jordanbelsonallures1961/179152992

this CVM Vimeo account has several abstract films you can rent them for $1.99 apiece. they are presented in really high quality fwiw. i have been looking for a decent copy of "Allures" for a good ten years now, this one is in 1080p. anyways highly recommended for anyone who wants to look into early abstract film.

https://vimeo.com/user4392897

also fwiw the atomic test also reminded me of "Powers of Ten" by Norman McLaren. if you haven't seen this it is a CLASSIC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
What if Boy (1956) is an older version of Hit and Run Boy? Maybe he didn't really die. It's possible that Little Dicky Horne invented time travel. What if he hit the kid at exactly 88 miles per hour? Did we get a look at his speedometer?

VBOVzyX.gif
this gif is too good.

So more soundtrack titles were revealed. The song playing during the Giant's (???????) scene in episode 8 is called "The Fireman". Makes sense as a name for him given his actions; Bob comes to Earth via the explosion (Fire Walk With Me), the alarm goes off and the fireman responds.

PolishQ

So more soundtrack titles were revealed. The song playing during the Giant's (???????) scene in episode 8 is called "The Fireman". Makes sense as a name for him given his actions; Bob comes to Earth via the explosion (Fire Walk With Me), the alarm goes off and the fireman responds.

There's also a new composition called "The Chair" that popped up in the tracklist. Do we know when that was played?

Obscura

Just started reading The Secret History of Twin Peaks and have a quick question: on the third page is the sentence
"The author or authors self-identifies in the body of the MS as "The Archivist."

What does MS stand for? The previous two pages don't say and not knowing bothers me way more than it should

DJMicLuv

Quick tip: read The Secret History of Twin Peaks. Last weeks episode was a lot more understandable thanks to having read the book first.

This thread by @ultrabrilliant on Twitter re. David's artistic influences is worth a look:

https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/880464033660448770

lol calling yourself "ultrabilliant" while you jack a bunch of comparisons from a video someone else made. the original video, published the day before these tweets:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-YD-ITSs6s

otm on the Francis Bacon. here is a highly recommend documentary on his work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgrO5za0lSY&t=520s

Rien

Jelly Belly
Just finished watching the pilot. Great to be back, must be at least 13 years ago.
I almost forgot the beautiful Jose Packard.

g11

This is amazing. The music during Bad Coop being tended to (?) by the Woodsmen is Beethoven’s "Moonlight Sonata" majorly slowed down.

Clip in the show.

Clip sped up.

Between that and the Muddy Magnolia's song from episode 1 sounding 10x better slowed down, I think Lynch is making a damn good case for music being too fast these days. Slow it down and make it sound evil af.

This is the cushion. This is the chair.

...fart deep, and ascend.

Man, this NIN song is something else. I really think Lynch was involved in this one. Reminds me so much of his stuff, especially "The pink room" from FWWM.

Kyle teasing on IG that we learn more about Dopplecoop's plan next week.

Oh boy!!!!!

edit: I know that Pink Room was written by Badalamenti but just listen to Crazy Clown Time...Everything sounds like "Lynch". It's his style.

Well, this season got me to finally finish watching a lot of Lynch's films, I haven't done Eraserhead or Elephant Man yet, but I've done the rest, save his G rated Disney film.

So basically, Mulholland Dr. is far and away his best film, it is gripping, has an amazing dream like quality and is just captivating from beginning to end. I liked all of his films that I've seen so far, though I think that Fire Walk With Me, which was my first Lynch film (outside of Dune) is probably my second favorite.

But holy hell at Inland Empire. I thought I was ready for that film. I was not. At all. It was like I was going crazy in real time with the film, and it made episode 8 look fucking straight forward by comparison. I love Lynch's dream like shit, I love his surrealism, he makes stuff that I would find pretentious in other films and shows work. But my God, this is the first film of his I found completely incomprehensible. TBH, it felt like indulgent nonsense. Am I missing something?

Dalek

Well, this season got me to finally finish watching a lot of Lynch's films, I haven't done Eraserhead or Elephant Man yet, but I've done the rest, save his G rated Disney film.

So basically, Mulholland Dr. is far and away his best film, it is gripping, has an amazing dream like quality and is just captivating from beginning to end. I liked all of his films that I've seen so far, though I think that Fire Walk With Me, which was my first Lynch film (outside of Dune) is probably my second favorite.

But holy hell at Inland Empire. I thought I was ready for that film. I was not. At all. It was like I was going crazy in real time with the film, and it made episode 8 look fucking straight forward by comparison. I love Lynch's dream like shit, I love his surrealism, he makes stuff that I would find pretentious in other films and shows work. But my God, this is the first film of his I found completely incomprehensible. TBH, it felt like indulgent nonsense. Am I missing something?

Don't sleep on The Straight Story. It's a masterpiece.

sappyday

Ive been in Guatemala for the past two weeks and I've been sad that I had to miss the new episodes of Twin Peaks. I was on the Netflix here and realized they had a better selection of movies than in the states so I searched up David Lynch in hopes of getting a bigger selection of his films only to find out they had the latest episodes of the season already. I never jumped for joy so hard in my life.

P.S part 8 is a fucking trip and I'm still processing it

I'll check it out then. It never gets mentioned, I only found out it existed as of yesterday.

It's top 3 Lynch imo. People don't think about because it's directing against type, but it's great.

And yeah Inland Empire is... something. Not a movie I particularly like tbh, but an experience nonetheless.

The God

so what's the consensus on what happened between Diane and Cooper?

sounds like Evil Cooper may have abused her in some way

I kind of overlooked straight story when I first saw it years ago cuz I went in expecting all lynch movies to be surrealist and violent

But now I really wanna revisit it with a less stupid mindset.

Also damn this week break is already getting painful knowing we won't get an episode. I was excited but I didn't expect to be this enamored with it. The new season is feeling like Lynchs swan song where he revisits his career and experiments with long stored away ideas. Incredible stuff

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
No, the feeling of going crazy in real time and alternating between trying to make sense of the whole and letting go to be terrified by the individual scenes is the appeal of the film. It's the only film by him that I think is truly a 'surreal narrative' instead of a narrative film with elements of surrealism - it makes no goddamn sense that B follows A, but it can make sense in an emotional and non-rational way.
The feeling it creates is so strong that I think it's his best film.

Chumley

Banned

You're not. I don't even really consider it an actual film from him. He admits in interviews he never even designed it as one in the beginning, it was just vignettes he shot when he first got his hands on digital video that he later put together. He also says he later regretted how god awful the video quality was but felt like he had to shoot everything on the same camera for the sake of continuity.

Like, you look at the care and craft put into every other film he's done along with Twin Peaks and its very hard to look at Inland Empire as belonging among that list. It certainly has a unique quality to it but I could immediately sense that it was designed as a series of experimental shorts rather than a complete movie. Twin Peaks S3 is IMO the first real work he's done since Mulholland Drive.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
You're not. I don't even really consider it an actual film from him. He admits in interviews he never even designed it as one in the beginning, it was just vignettes he shot when he first got his hands on digital video that he later put together. He also says he later regretted how god awful the video quality was but felt like he had to shoot everything on the same camera for the sake of continuity.
That's not true. He said that it might look 'ugly' compared to film, but it was right for the film. He liked the level of experimentation of freedom it granted him for the whole project, and said he liked the softness and flaws in the image because it reminded him of film used in the early days of cinema.

It did start from two vignettes that were being created for his website, but he's also spoken in an interview about the day when he had an epiphany while meditating and saw how the pieces he'd shot would fit together, and how from that day forward he knew it was a movie and had a grasp on the overall meta structure that would make it fit together.

Chumley

Banned
That's not true. He said that it might look 'ugly' compared to film, but it was right for the film. He liked the level of experimentation of freedom it granted him for the whole project, and said he liked the softness and flaws in the image because it reminded him of film used in the early days of cinema.

It did start from two vignettes that were being created for his website, but he's also spoken in an interview about the day when he had an epiphany while meditating and saw how the pieces he'd shot would fit together, and how from that day forward he knew it was a movie and had a grasp on the overall meta structure that would make it fit together.

I just watched a Q&A a few days ago where he said he would have used the improved digital camera tech that became available if he could, but he started on a certain camera and felt like he had to finish the entire thing with it. If he could do it again there's no way he would have used the same equipment. It looks horrible. The Canon 5d Mk. II came out just two years after Inland Empire's release and it produces a dramatically better picture, and offers the same experimentation and freedom.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched a Q&A a few days ago where he said he would have used the improved digital camera tech that became available if he could, but he started on a certain camera and felt like he had to finish the entire thing with it. If he could do it again there's no way he would have used the same equipment. It looks horrible. The Canon 5d Mk. II came out just two years after Inland Empire's release and it produces a dramatically better picture, and offers the same experimentation and freedom.
Right. That's interesting. Can you link me to that Q&A?
Back in 2006/7 he was sticking up for the choice and saying he liked the look of the soft noisy image because the flaws were right for this film.

I remembered where I read his quote about how the movie went from a couple of unrelated scenes to something with an (abstract) overarching structure. It's from Catching the Big Fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom