• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
This thread got oddly confrontational all of the sudden. Must be new Peaks withdrawal symptoms.
You guys, the next episode part isn't that far away. We'll make it through this, together.

79M2fIN.gif

Is it future

or is it past?

Sapiens

Why does whether or not the person is world renown come into it? Why does how recognisable the cast are come into it? Why does whether people who are involved have won awards at some point coming into it? Why does whether or not they are the cover of Entertainment Weekly come into it?

Lol. You can't possibly be this hopeless.

This 2 week wait is much more intolerable than I expected.

Call for help

I always had the [Huh?_face.jpg] on whenever someone said this was the perfect time for a break after Part 8. No. No it's not. I'm itching.

I am Net_Wrecker's need for Twin Peaks. And I sound like this: ojeuorgibwevbsbvlergsebvie

hobozero

Reqatched 8 and clued in on the obvious reference: Coop/Dcoop is really good at getting shot in the stomach then seeing freaky shit then being ok afterwards.

Natiko

Banned
Okay just watched the latest episode finally. What the fuck did I just witness? Can anyone point me to any sort of theories or anything? Just what the fuck lol

Twin Peaks was mainstream at one point. There's plenty of documented proof of this including the 34 million who watched it when it premiered and it never dipped below 17 million in season. Even the "failure" of season 2 still got 7 million viewers at its low while routinely getting 9-12 million viewers. Then there's the insane response it got in Japan, where it was popular enough that they did commercials for coffee there.

However, that moment is clearly over and not coming back. Compared to the original, this series might as well not exist in the cultural conscious. The ratings are dreadful and no one is going to be asking for Twin Peaks themed commercials or having viewing parties this time.

Obscura

Two things

-I watched Eraserhead today. In the protagonist's room, there was a b&w photo on a wall of a nuke explosion (well, the entire film is in b&w, so maybe the photo was in color...).

-I watcher today a 'Twin peaks lodge moments' from the first two seasons. In what I think it's one of the first lodge scenes, Laura appears with a dress, and the arm presents her as 'a cousin'. Given what we know of her possible origin, it makes more sense??!!

For the record Henry, who you call the protaganist, did
kill a baby and then himself
so he's really the films antagonist. Or maybe a protantagonist.

Hope you enjoyed! It fills my sour heart with joy to see so many people get turned onto Eraserhead through this new season.

Twin Peaks was mainstream at one point. There's plenty of documented proof of this including the 34 million who watched it when it premiered and it never dipped below 17 million in season. Even the "failure" of season 2 still got 7 million viewers at its low while routinely getting 9-12 million viewers. Then there's the insane response it got in Japan, where it was popular enough that they did commercials for coffee there.

However, that moment is clearly over and not coming back. Compared to the original, this series might as well not exist in the cultural conscious. The ratings are dreadful and no one is going to be asking for Twin Peaks themed commercials or having viewing parties this time.

ABC vs Showtime.

1990 vs 2017

Not trying to offer a snarky response. I just don't think much more needs to be said.

ABC vs Showtime.

1990 vs 2017

Not trying to offer a snarky response. I just don't think much more needs to be said.

Even for Showtime, it's near the bottom. Shamless, Ray Donovan, and Homeland all have season averages above 1 million. Dexter's final season average was well above 2 million viewers. We obviously don't have a final sample size but so far, TP is averaging 0.3 million viewers. That's just below a cancelled show called House of Lies and just above another cancelled show called Roadies.

I few things I noticed on rewatch.

Mr C is shot in the same bodily area as Cooper in the season 1 finale. Both assasination attempts are surprising for the uncannily prepared characters. The camera angles that show them lying on the ground are similar too. Cooper slowly awakes from unconsciousness surrounded by those that saves his life. Mr C suddenly awakes from unconsciousness alone.

We approach the Nuclear blast from high above and descend into it. We approach the structure in the purple ocean from below and ascend into it. i did not time the approaches but would not be surprised if it took a similar length of time.

Beings inside both "places", as they float, release forces from their heads. ??????? leans backward as it does this and the material is ejected above. The Experiment leans forward as it spews the material below.

The Gold Orb with Luara's face moves closer to camera the same way the foggy Laura image does in the opening credit sequence.

Anyone make this comparison yet?

hqdefault.jpg

I thought of it the first time the episode aired, but forgot to bring it up.

Yep see my post. There are a lot of parallels between Episode 8 and Part 8.

On the plus side, Showtime also premiered a show about standup comedians in the 70s alongside Twin Peaks that is doing so bad that it makes TP look much better by comparison.

EdmondD

Even for Showtime, it's near the bottom. Shamless, Ray Donovan, and Homeland all have season averages above 1 million. Dexter's final season average was well above 2 million viewers. We obviously don't have a final sample size but so far, TP is averaging 0.3 million viewers. That's just below a cancelled show called House of Lies and just above another cancelled show called Roadies.

Oh, man that's pretty bad. What ever will Lynch/Frost and Showtime do? Seeing how it's all in the can and going to be aired I don't think they give a fuck. Just like I don't give a fuck. Seems like the only one who cares is you. I'm just going to continue enjoying some good television.

All you're talking about is live ratings. I mean, if Showtime cared all that much about live rating, they wouldn't sabotage them in so many ways, putting episodes early online, putting them on streaming in real time, putting them on demand in real tine, replaying episodes on the channel 1,000 times..

Hint: when Showtime cancelled Roadies, they weren't just looking at the live ratings

kevin1025

Banned

I think for Showtime, they were hoping for big numbers, but they ended up with one of the most talked about shows on the internet. Critics, fans, pop culture, etc. Those 300,000 live viewers, and all of the subscribers watching online or off the DVR, a whole lot of them are talking about Twin Peaks, David Lynch, and Showtime.

This was always going to be a one-off, and although it more than likely isn't hitting the numbers they'd hoped, the word of mouth and general buzz is going to be helpful for them. They'll always be the ones that brought back Twin Peaks and got an 18-hour Lynch project out into the wild.

EdmondD

I did call for help D:

I don't agree with everything like the egg is probably not Bob but this poster did a good job summarizing To add a bit more to it the atom bomb seems to have allowed the Lodge beings to come to our world somehow :
We've seen in previous episodes that denizens of the lodges enter and exit the world through various changes in energy. In 1945, as the first atom bomb ever was successfully detonated, Babylon, the Mother of All Abominations used the opportunity to birth Bob and a host of evils into our world. The White Lodge received an alert and the Giant, caretaker of the Lodge, also uses the breach into our world to send the soul of Laura Palmer into the world to stand against Bob and the evils born into the world. 10 years later, Bob hatches in the desert and possesses his first victim.
In other words
dougie.gif

Natiko

Banned
I don't agree with everything like the egg is probably not Bob but this poster did a good job summarizing To add a bit more to it the atom bomb seems to have allowed the Lodge beings to come to our world somehow :

In other words
dougie.gif
That..makes sense, for this show at least. I'll go with it haha Thanks!

EdmondD

That..makes sense, for this show at least. I'll go with it haha Thanks!

Don't take everything at face value though. We don't know if that thing is Babylon it is simply known as the Experiment. In the book Secret History of Twin Peaks Babylon is mentioned and does seem to fit the description of this creature. Laura is probably not Twin Peaks Jesus which is how it may seem at first we will just have to wait to see what that scene meant. We don't know if that is the White Lodge but it's a good guess. Another thing to keep in mind is the Lodge beings obsession with garmonbozia. Garmonbozia is pain and suffering which is depicted as creamed corn. Why? Because reasons. Think about all the pain and suffering caused from WW2 to the detonation of the atom bomb. That's a ton of garmonbozia. Maybe another reason the Lodge beings were drawn to this world.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Why does anyone in this thread care about ratings? Eager to let us all know the 4th season that wasn't going to happen to begin with wont happen or something?
I don't get it either. I understand it with most shows, but this is a pretty special case that always gave the impression that it was going to be an once in a lifetime sort of deal.

120v

Garmonbozia is pain and suffering which is depcited as creamed corn. Think about all the pain and suffering caused from WW2 to the detonation of the atom bomb. That's a ton of garmonbozia.

i love how only on twin peaks can sentences like this be something other than utterly ludicrous

Oh, man that's pretty bad. What ever will Lynch/Frost and Showtime do? Seeing how it's all in the can and going to be aired I don't think they give a fuck. Just like I don't give a fuck. Seems like the only one who cares is you. I'm just going to continue enjoying some good television.

It's within the context of the conversation we were having about Twin Peaks being mainstream at one time.

i love how only on twin peaks can sentences like this be something other than utterly ludicrous
Haha, yes. There are times I stand back from the discussion thread and wonder how all of this can read without any context. Woodsman, cream corn, Major Briggs' floating head, Wally Brando, golden shovels.

Hmmm, it's pretty dang hard to understand even with context. What a ride.

EdmondD

Haha, yes. There are times I stand back from the discussion thread and wonder how all of this can read without any context. Woodsman, cream corn, Major Briggs' floating head, Wally Brando, golden shovels.

Hmmm, it's pretty dang hard to understand even with context. What a ride.

finished Inland Empire. Could hardly make any sense of the last two hours.

I loved it. My favorite Lynch film.

dznggjwubeknipjcqgcz.gif

yepyepyep

I hated Inland Empire when I first saw it when I was a younger, but I was more dumber and less open minded then. It certainly made an impression though, I can still remember some nightmare scenes. Curious for a rewatch but that 3 hour plus runtime...

Don't sleep on The Straight Story. It's a masterpiece.

I can confirm that The Straight Story is A-tier Lynch. The reason that everybody says that it's Lynch's version of a Disney film is because that's exactly what it is. We've seen this type of story told numerous times, especially in the 90's. The difference is in the methods used to tell the story. Typically, this type of movie would have contained the usual audience manipulation techniques that are designed to specifically tug at the average moviegoers heartstrings. The result usually comes out as a dispensable piece of work that never gets talked about again. Instead, Lynch uses all of the tools available to him to make this a quintessential David Lynch movie. From the humor displayed from characters that will pop in and out (the woman that frequently crashes into deer) and even to his meticulous sound design (the sounds that come from Alvin losing control of his lawnmower are straight out of my nightmares). All components are his. The ending is pure emotion, but there is nothing artificial about it. It's earned.

Badalamenti's score is the cherry on top. It might even be Angelo's best.
Great summary. Straight Story is one of my favorite movies. That soundtrack is indeed wonderful.

Definitely encourage Twin Peaks/Lynch fans to at least give Straight Story a try if they haven't seen it. Would it help if I told you that it (briefly) features Big Ed as a John Deere salesman?

superfly

I saw inland empire twice in the cinema and once on dvd. I can appreciate it in parts but I think it's hard to qualify as Lynch's best work. I would love to see him approach a more standard runtime movie again (compared to this season of Twin Peaks) so that it can be watched in one sitting and use the best digital equipment. However I'd also love another lynch/frost production that isn't Twin Peaks.

Having watched FWWM again recently I would rated it very highly in his body of work perhaps only behind Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet.

Heads up for people in London. The Prince Charles cinema in Leicester Square is showing all of David Lynch's films, mostly the original 35mm prints starting today with Eraserhead.

Glad to see some appreciation for The Straight Story as well, I basically grew up in the area where that movie was filmed (and the actual story took place) so that adds a whole other layer of warmth and nostalgia for me.

PizzaFace

Banned
Do we really think that frog-bird-thing was Bob? To me it seemed like they made such a visual distinction between the Bob-ball and the eggs that it wasn't Bob at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom