• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

wsGzKnY.jpg

Is this real? Call for help.

Levito

Banned
The Nadine subplot with her having super strength is one of the worst things in the whole series. That and James' subplot where he goes to the other town is what I point to when folks criticize the new season for not being "Twin Peaks" enough.

I love this show but the second season is mostly terrible.

Dalek

Got a copy of The Secret History of Twin Peaks today

I'm so excited to get started, it's so much bigger than I thought

I recommend getting the audiobook and listening to it while you read-the dossier is....kind of hard to read, at least for me. Hearing the characters speak helped.

The Nadine subplot with her having super strength is one of the worst things in the whole series. That and James' subplot where he goes to the other town is what I point to when folks criticize the new season for not being "Twin Peaks" enough.

I love this show but the second season is mostly terrible.
Mostly is an exaggeration.

There is a loooong stretch of eight or so episodes that are terrible. Then it gets decent again. First eight or so episodes are as good as the first season.

TRUTHFACT.

That said, it's wonderful thinking about how the new series is changing that.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Gotta rewatch episode 8 again to make sure but did the bug that hatched do the usual buzzing/wing shaking that bugs do? Because we had another character do the exact buzzing as a bug when first introduced...in season 1. Let's rock!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Tagline for Part 13 is out:
What story is that, Charlie?

No idea who
Charlie
is.

That's the August 6 episode, when the show moves to 8pm.

---

It was really interesting to rewatch Parts 1-3 last night, knowing what we now know (or "know"). Especially Cooper's journey from the Black Lodge to the glass box to the White Lodge, and the 2:53 event.

This time I got the impression that both lodges "opened" at 2:53. The Black Lodge manifested to Evil Coop as the red curtains, and the White Lodge manifested as the electrical activity in his car's power socket. Evil Coop tricked the Black Lodge into taking Dougie instead of him, but still felt the effects of the White Lodge and expelled his garmonbozia. This kind of goes along with what American Girl says: "When you get there you'll already be there." She doesn't know that the Black Lodge is going to take Dougie, so she's preparing Cooper to see his double when he emerges.

It also seems like travelling via electricity is specifically a White Lodge thing. We've never seen anything electrical in the Red Room (except for the Evolution of the Arm, but I'll get to that), but the White Lodge is full of electrical equipment (the "3" and "15" outlets, the blue lamp, and those huge bell-shaped things).

So I'm still feeling pretty good about my theory that the Red Room is an "outpost" that the denizens of the White Lodge set up inside the Black Lodge. An attempt to tame it, so to speak. The Black Lodge's natural state is a pure black void, which we briefly glimpse in Part 2 when the curtains billow up. But I also think that the attempt to tame it is not quite working, or at least the Black Lodge is changing the White Lodge folk in ways they didn't anticipate - making the Evolution of the Arm kind of a hybrid between the two Lodges. He's an electrical entity mixed with the horrors of the Black Lodge.

Their attempt to tame the Black Lodge was also their attempt to tame BOB, to use him for their own ends. And at this point, I'm seeing Twin Peaks as being the story of the failure of that attempt. Of course Part 9 could blow all of this out of the water. We'll see!

Neat analysis :), would subscribe:D.

NewDust

Still working over ep. 8 from last week, I actually think a one week break is not that bad. However it did make me order the secret history of twin peaks.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
While I agree James roadtrip subplot is legitmately terrible, I actually like the infamous 8-episode lull in Season 2. I thought maybe I was misremembering or wouldn't enjoy it as much these days, but a rewatch of the series I did last year I actually ended up liking the lull more than I did the first time. It's not the best part of the show obviously and some parts are bad, James' stuff especially during this period, but there's actually a lot that happens during this period I kind of love. Denise is introduced during this period, we get introduced to Jean Renault and the subplot for it, I love the birthday party for Leo, I don't actually dislike Windom Earle, there's a lot of Cole and Albert in this lull which is never a bad thing, as well as a lot more Dick (secretly a character everyone likes), some of the stranger scenes like doorknob Josie and the hooded figure, I actually like Ben Horne's civil war arc, some of the most famous quotes from the show happen during this lull including the new season's tagline leading in ("wonderful and strange"... owl cave scene happens during the lull)...

I'm not arguing it's the best part of the show as it isn't, but people treat this part of season 2 as if there's nothing redeemable about it, when I'd say more of it than not is good actually, personally speaking. The shows worst subplots do happen during this lull, yes, but it seems to be what most people remember/associate with this stretch of the show. I'd say the weakest element is the show loses its central plot so in that way it stumbles until it begins to find its footing again towards the end, and fills the show up in the meantime with subplots and developments until then, some of which work better than others. However, a lot of what happens is much better than most give it credit for.

g11

Super Nadine is best plot
James sub plot was zzzzzzzz

I concur. Well "best" might be a bit much, but I liked it.

James and his bullshit should have been excised completely. Someone needs to do an edit of Twin Peaks S2 that takes out the James subplot, most of the Ben Horn shit, and Audrey + John Justice Wheeler, because if you remove them, S2 has some great moments. Windom Earle is one of the great TV villains IMO. He's equal parts hilarious and terrible. Oh and the whole Lucy is pregnant subplot is trash too. 86 that garbage while we're at it.

At the end of the last ep was that a horse whinnying in the darkness before the credits?

What's that horse about that I sometimes see strolling around

120v

rewatching season 2 a few weeks ago i was dreading the james stuff but it wasn't as bad as i remembered.

in retrospect it was just a prolonged send off for the character, as everything was congealing around the windom vs cooper arc. so it was better than having him around for no reason imo

funny though, i kept asking myself "aren't these kids supposed to be in school?" i'm guessing they just went on to get a GED after laura was murdered lol

Enthus

rewatching season 2 a few weeks ago i was dreading the james stuff but it wasn't as bad as i remembered.

in retrospect it was just a prolonged send off for the character, as everything was congealing around the windom vs cooper arc. so it was better than having him around for no reason imo

funny though, i kept asking myself "aren't these kids supposed to be in school?" i'm guessing they just went on to get a GED after laura was murdered or something lol

I'd pay good money for a Lynch directed "James Gets his GED" series.

Plasmid

Why do people assume '56 bug is Laura? I got from it that it was BOB when it hatched, because the woodsmen seemed to be help finding a host for it, and they don't seem like someone who would help Laura.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I concur. Well "best" might be a bit much, but I liked it.

James and his bullshit should have been excised completely. Someone needs to do an edit of Twin Peaks S2 that takes out the James subplot, most of the Ben Horn shit, and Audrey + John Justice Wheeler, because if you remove them, S2 has some great moments. Windom Earle is one of the great TV villains IMO. He's equal parts hilarious and terrible. Oh and the whole Lucy is pregnant subplot is trash too. 86 that garbage while we're at it.

I think Ben Horne's Civil War and Super Nadine plotlines are mostly love it/hate it deals. Me personally I liked the Ben Horne stuff, was mostly indifferent towards Super Nadine but there were a few moments and I love how downer an ending that arc has.

I do think from memory of seeing it last year the worst parts are James and Audrey's arc during this section of the show, though.

At the end of the last ep was that a horse whinnying in the darkness before the credits?

What's that horse about that I sometimes see strolling around

It was a horse, there's a white horse we see when Maddie dies in Season 2 who also appeared in FWWM, and at the start of Season 3. Many theories, nothing concrete yet.

funny though, i kept asking myself "aren't these kids supposed to be in school?" i'm guessing they just went on to get a GED after laura was murdered lol

James plot is just dull and bogstandard I think. I think it's the point in the show the series becomes most like an actual soap opera. None of the character motivations are interesting, the pacing is glacial for a pretty standard story, and just nothing interesting is done with it. It's a bit exaggerated how bad it is, but I do think it's the worst part of Twin Peaks. The one compliment I can give it is the setting looks nice, both the tavern and the manor.

The fact none of them seem to go to school by that point in the season bugged me a bit too. Stupid sexy Twin Peaks young adults being too cool for school.

Why do people assume '56 bug is Laura? I got from it that it was BOB when it hatched, because the woodsmen seemed to be help finding a host for it, and they don't seem like someone who would help Laura.

To be honest, I think it's neither and is the big looking thing Mr. C showed on the card in Part 2 he is looking for, but we won't know until we know.

There is a loooong stretch of eight or so episodes that are terrible. Then it gets decent again. First eight or so episodes are as good as the first season.

TRUTHFACT.

No lies detected.

The bug isn't Bob. It's the larval form of the Experiment (the black creature that vomited the eggs and the Bob sphere.

Mr.C/Bob has a playing card with a picture of the bug drawn it. He is likely searching for its host in the present day.

TRUTHFACT.

“As good” is an exaggeration.

But yeah, broadly speaking season 2 isn’t as bad as people act.

The season 2 hate has always been overblown.

1-9 are classic Twin Peaks
10-16 are bad (there are still moments worth seeing though)
17-21 get back on track
22 is amazing.

That's 15 out of 22. Miss me with all the "season 2 is a disaster" posts.

I found I actually enjoyed the first half of season two more than season one when I rewatched the show last month, probably mostly because of Ray Wise's glorious run as white hair Leland. The episode where Maddy is murdered is probably the best of the entire original series. The closing scene of everyone crying in the Roadhouse wrecked me.

Flipyap

It also seems like travelling via electricity is specifically a White Lodge thing. We've never seen anything electrical in the Red Room (except for the Evolution of the Arm, but I'll get to that), but the White Lodge is full of electrical equipment (the "3" and "15" outlets, the blue lamp, and those huge bell-shaped things).

So I'm still feeling pretty good about my theory that the Red Room is an "outpost" that the denizens of the White Lodge set up inside the Black Lodge. An attempt to tame it, so to speak. The Black Lodge's natural state is a pure black void, which we briefly glimpse in Part 2 when the curtains billow up. But I also think that the attempt to tame it is not quite working, or at least the Black Lodge is changing the White Lodge folk in ways they didn't anticipate - making the Evolution of the Arm kind of a hybrid between the two Lodges. He's an electrical entity mixed with the horrors of the Black Lodge.
Let's see... there are lamps, the Saturn night light, Jimmy Scott's microphone and I don't know if I could separate the strobe lights from electricity.

There is a lot of electrical equipment in the red room's space/wet basement, but it's not coded as a positive element anywhere in the show and both Naido and Cooper are hurt by it. Lynch's favorite zappy sounds are used ominously when the Part 7 Woodsman shows up and when Cooper is denied passage through the curtains in Part 2.
The room above the convenience store is also filled with characters associated with electricity (The Arm, Woodsmen, Electrician, maybe even Bob if you count his favorite ceiling fan) and I can't say I see much "white" in there.

g11

I think Ben Horne's Civil War and Super Nadine plotlines are mostly love it/hate it deals. Me personally I liked the Ben Horne stuff, was mostly indifferent towards Super Nadine but there were a few moments and I love how downer an ending that arc has.

I do think from memory of seeing it last year the worst parts are James and Audrey's arc during this section of the show, though.

Honestly the Civil War stuff I'm fine with, it just kind of feels unnecessary. Like it should have been a 1-2 episode arc max but because they had this big void to fill, they stretched it over what feels like 6-7 episodes. Even though it's pure soap opera schlock, the "Ben Horne is maybe/probably Donna's father" was a better subplot for all involved. At least it ended with the hilarious scene of Doc Hayward screaming like a psycho after he lays Ben out on the floor with a concussion.

The season 2 hate has always been overblown.

1-9 are classic Twin Peaks
10-16 are bad
17-21 get back on track
22 is amazing.

That's 15 out of 22. Miss me with all the "season 2 is a disaster" posts.

I found I actually enjoyed the first half of season two more than season one when I rewatched the show last month, probably mostly because of Ray Wise's glorious run as white hair Leland. The episode where Maddy is murdered is probably the best of the entire original series. The closing scene of everyone crying in the Roadhouse wrecked me.

I just assume when people rag on S2 of Twin Peaks, it's understood to be "S2 after the Laura murder plays out". If there is someone out there who legitimately hates the first 8 or 9 episodes of Twin Peaks S2 but loves S1, that makes no sense.

Twin Peaks probably should have been 3 seasons before it ended. S1, S2 should have ended at episode 9, and S3 should have been the Windom Earle stuff with the better subplots of of S2 thrown in. 8-9 episodes for the first 2 and maybe 4 for S3. Or just a TV movie to wrap it up.

SIDE NOTE: For anyone who hasn't yet, check out Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces. IMO it does a MUCH better job of tying together the show and FWWM than without.

Blader

It's funny, I really disliked the Nadine subplot when it started out, but I ended up getting use to it and by the finale, when Nadine's memory is reset and both her relationship with Mike and Norma and Ed's reunion are both suddenly ruined in an instant, I was suddenly...damn, I was rooting for them to all stay together!

The James subplot wasn't totally awful to me, but it was boring and just completely useless. The Ben Horne/civil war stuff was like the Nadine subplot, where at I first I was questioning why this was even happening, but by the time it's resolved it won me over.

hobozero

Tagline for Part 13 is out:
What story is that, Charlie?

No idea who
Charlie
is.

That's the August 6 episode, when the show moves to 8pm.

---

It was really interesting to rewatch Parts 1-3 last night, knowing what we now know (or "know"). Especially Cooper's journey from the Black Lodge to the glass box to the White Lodge, and the 2:53 event.

This time I got the impression that both lodges "opened" at 2:53. The Black Lodge manifested to Evil Coop as the red curtains, and the White Lodge manifested as the electrical activity in his car's power socket. Evil Coop tricked the Black Lodge into taking Dougie instead of him, but still felt the effects of the White Lodge and expelled his garmonbozia. This kind of goes along with what American Girl says: "When you get there you'll already be there." She doesn't know that the Black Lodge is going to take Dougie, so she's preparing Cooper to see his double when he emerges.

Their attempt to tame the Black Lodge was also their attempt to tame BOB, to use him for their own ends. And at this point, I'm seeing Twin Peaks as being the story of the failure of that attempt. Of course Part 9 could blow all of this out of the water. We'll see!

There is a bunch of freaky electronics in the room above the Convenience Store in Fire Walk With Me, and Philip Jefferies' flashback opens with the Arm saying "Electricity". I don't know if it's specifically tied to the white lodge, or if electricity is just the conduit between worlds.

Lots of good theories to consider there :)

Edit: missed Flipyap's comment, complete with Jurgen Prochnow gif :) Damn fine post.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Not sure why James is even back in the show. His story ended just fine. Maybe he was just there as a cameo? Came up and then disappeared in the following eps.

Levito

Banned

TRUTHFACT.

Mmmm I can agree that the first 5 episodes or so are great, but after Leland exits the show; it takes an immediate awful nosedive.

Granted I think the last episode is the best thing ever though.

Slaythe

Well I believe there's gonna be a heavy focus on Laura, so maybe they'll need people that were connected to her.

That's the only way I see Bobby James Leeland and Sarah mattering in significant ways again.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Probably asked a million times already but is the book Secret History of Twin Peaks a good one? I am about half way in Homicide by David Simon and i would like to dive in more Twin Peaks stuff.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
Apologies if this has been brought up before, and maybe I'm just drunk and imagining things, but does anyone else think the kid from 1956 bears a pretty strong resemblance to a young Frank Silva? Am I just horrible with faces? I searched around and didn't really see anyone else mentioning it anywhere so I'm going to assume that yes actually I am that bad, but man if someone told me that the kid on the right had been cast to play the person on the top left I could totally see it. .
9hoBC33.png

Apologies if this has been brought up before, and maybe I'm just drunk and imagining things, but does anyone else think the kid from 1956 bears a pretty strong resemblance to a young Frank Silva? Am I just horrible with faces? I searched around and didn't really see anyone else mentioning it anywhere so I'm going to assume that yes actually I am that bad, but man if someone told me that the kid on the right had been cast to play the person on the top left I could totally see it. .
9hoBC33.png

The resemblance is there enough for him to be playing young BOB. Whether that's at all where this is going or not is unclear but weirder theories have come true.

Real Hero

Probably asked a million times already but is the book Secret History of Twin Peaks a good one? I am about half way in Homicide by David Simon and i would like to dive in more Twin Peaks stuff.
Yeah if you like the series at all its worth reading. Just don't expect any major focus on characters toy care about (kinda like series 3!)

Flipyap

9hoBC33.png
Reddit also came up with this:
everyonewasbob.jpg

Also everyone was Girl. And bug.

Someone I know recommended Riverdale and said it was like Twin Peaks.

I dont know if it becomes watchable or not but right now it is "James the Show."

Big One

Banned
Well if the international pilot is canon in some kind of weird Black Lodge way, then yeah at one point Bob likely had a physical form. Not sure if that's what Lynch is building up to, though. Remember people appear in the Black Lodge even after they die in the physical world ala Leeland and Laura, of course in at least Laura's case she isn't "Laura" as we know her according to her. I think the implication here is that all of these Lodge spirits have some sort of purpose and gain incarnations on Earth to take care of Bob.

It's kind of unsatisfying. But if you enjoy conspiracies and weird history you will enjoy it. Most of it is based on real events which made it interesting for me. It has too little Twin Peaks stuff, but it does do some nice world building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom