• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

cucuchu

Not sure why James is even back in the show. His story ended just fine. Maybe he was just there as a cameo? Came up and then disappeared in the following eps.

That is what it seems like right now. Actually a bit of the old cast has just been one off cameos at this point. I hope we see more of Ben and Jerry Horne though and it seems like we might because there is some kind of plot developing around the Great Northern hotel.

Someone I know recommended Riverdale and said it was like Twin Peaks.

I dont know if it becomes watchable or not but right now it is "James the Show."

its only similar in its small town drama. all the surrealism and horror and goofy humor is missing though. but its still a fun time.

and yeah. Archie, Jughead AND both their fathers are basically James. I guess James was always cool after all?

Joeku

SWwbWYK.jpg

He's just dabbing as good as he can. Twin Peaks 2017.

I have seen many shows influenced by Twin Peaks. I don't think I have seen anything that I could recommend as being like Twin Peaks.

Closest property would be Deadly Premonition the video game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For games, the closest is indeed Deadly Premonition rather than just bits that remind of TP, though I'd say Deadly Premonition becomes its own beast even if it is wearing its inspiration on its sleeves.

I've watched several Twin Peaks inspired by shows, and I think the closest and my personal two favorites that hardly get mentioned:

-Happy Town, this was a one season show inspired by TP, it isn't just like TP but I think the influence shows stronger in this one than many. I think something that helps the show a lot is a number of the characters are quirky but entertaining in an overtly dramatic way at times as we see several characters plotlines advance during the season, and there's a subtle surreal element that's actually very interesting that begins to creep up more and more as the season goes on, but ultimately will remain unanswered because while the show had a pretty good cliffhanger it's never going to be continued now. It's one of my favorites of the rip-offs, it's not just like TP but I think it managed to capture more of what made the original series good than most. It's only about eight episodes and I'd recommend it (though fun fact, this show did so bad in viewership that they just released the last two episodes online to download).

-Bright Falls, this was a mini web series that was made to promote Alan Wake before it released starring a different character living in the game's fictional town of Bright Falls. It was six episodes that were around 5 minutes each, so the whole thing is only about 30 minutes. It manages to be a lot better than I think one would think it'd be, hell I'd even say while not really a movie it's the best 'video game movie' ever made (in fact, I think I might make a topic about this). It's a bit darker than the original series, but it manages to get surprisingly close to some Lynchian tones (though it's not quite as mysterious because it's a prequel to Alan Wake, and if you know what AW is about you pretty much know what's going on, which I think both adds and takes away from it in ways, but is completely worth watching).

What I think.

eXistor

Probably asked a million times already but is the book Secret History of Twin Peaks a good one? I am about half way in Homicide by David Simon and i would like to dive in more Twin Peaks stuff.

I have the audiobook and so far I personally think it's a big bust. A whole lot of boring stories that don't feel like they're related to Twin Peaks at all, only in forced ways. I kinda gave up after 3 hours (it was more than 9).

-Bright Falls, this was a mini web series that was made to promote Alan Wake before it released starring a different character living in the game's fictional town of Bright Falls. It was six episodes that were around 5 minutes each, so the whole thing is only about 30 minutes. It manages to be a lot better than I think one would think it'd be, hell I'd even say while not really a movie it's the best 'video game movie' ever made (in fact, I think I might make a topic about this). It's a bit darker than the original series, but it manages to get surprisingly close to some Lynchian tones (though it's not quite as mysterious because it's a prequel to Alan Wake, and if you know what AW is about you pretty much know what's going on, which I think both adds and takes away from it in ways, but is completely worth watching).

What I think.

Please do! I've been meaning to revisit this series (loved both it and Alan Wake), I'd love to read your thoughts on this before watching it again.

Slaythe

I thought Alan Wake was complete trash to be honest.

Super overrated.

As for secret history of Twin Peaks, it works better as a book since it's like a dossier, you kinda check what interests you, not everything is meant to be super relevant or exciting. With documents to check out and what not.

As an audio book it kind of falls apart...

Joqu

I have the audiobook and so far I personally think it's a big bust. A whole lot of boring stories that don't feel like they're related to Twin Peaks at all, only in forced ways. I kinda gave up after 3 hours (it was more than 9).

I really don't think it works as an audiobook. The way it's presented in printed form is much more compelling, it's more of a collection of files that's fun to skim through and the way it's presented is beautiful.

Really, the only reason I spend some audible credit on the audio version is too hear some old Twin Peaks actors perform. And Gordon Cole isn't even done by Lynch.

I wouldn't recommend the Audiobook for TSHoTP, atleast on a first read. It's a book that you explore and take your time with. There are some really great images to take a deep look into.

It doesn't focus on lead characters but expands on supporting and minor characters. Some great background on them. It's a bit curious to see the "inconsistencies" with canon and speculate what they mean.

hydruxo

Yeah I also agree that TSHoTP needs to be read in printed form rather than audiobook on the first go through. The visuals are really important to getting the vibe Frost was going for with the book, with all the FBI docs and photos.

g11

Not sure why James is even back in the show. His story ended just fine. Maybe he was just there as a cameo? Came up and then disappeared in the following eps.

Because James is cool. He's always been cool.

NO HE FUCKING HASN'T, SHELLY!

gun_haver

Mm, I had a dream last night where there was a secret 109 minute version of episode 8 on TV and in that Bobby was killing people in the woods around Twin Peaks and his hair was all long and grey but then later it was short and brown again. My brother was watching it and he didn't realise it was different but I couldn't find it again after it finished.

Mm, I had a dream last night where there was a secret 109 minute version of episode 8 on TV and in that Bobby was killing people in the woods around Twin Peaks and his hair was all long and grey but then later it was short and brown again. My brother was watching it and he didn't realise it was different but I couldn't find it again after it finished.

Call for help

WriterGK

Well yeah it's not actually a game, just a fan made attract screen and music.

I know. I actually have seen some of them like with Game of Thrones... But 9/10 of them you actually see them play the game even tough its fan based and not really a real game...
You see the characters running and walking/talking.

Apologies if this has been brought up before, and maybe I'm just drunk and imagining things, but does anyone else think the kid from 1956 bears a pretty strong resemblance to a young Frank Silva? Am I just horrible with faces? I searched around and didn't really see anyone else mentioning it anywhere so I'm going to assume that yes actually I am that bad, but man if someone told me that the kid on the right had been cast to play the person on the top left I could totally see it. .
9hoBC33.png

That's what I assumed when I was watching the ep

Finished watching all eight parts in a row, and it's definitely the way to watch. I know we're getting them rationed out about one a week, but marathoning the series seems to really smooth over a lot of the issues with regards to keeping track of everything, and story threads often going missing for an episode or two.

When that's just an hour or two before they get picked back up, it's much less frustrating when that's two weeks, or what have you.

I will definitely plan to rewatch the entire thing straight through once it has fully aired. It'll be tough but so so worth it I think.

I want to know who that Charlie Sheen-looking baddie is. Making coins disappear and shit.

He's called Red.

kevin1025

Banned
Finished watching all eight parts in a row, and it's definitely the way to watch. I know we're getting them rationed out about one a week, but marathoning the series seems to really smooth over a lot of the issues with regards to keeping track of everything, and story threads often going missing for an episode or two.

When that's just an hour or two before they get picked back up, it's much less frustrating when that's two weeks, or what have you.

I will definitely plan to rewatch the entire thing straight through once it has fully aired. It'll be tough but so so worth it I think.

He's called Red.

Yep, I watched Parts 5-8 fairly close to each other, over the past few days, and it clicked a lot more for me. It's probably how I'm going to watch the remainder of the series, two or three episodes together, and then be caught up for the two-part finale.

Levito

Banned
I haven't been this into a TV show since the first season of True Detective. This two week break is making me so fucking thirsty. ugh

eXistor

I really don't think it works as an audiobook. The way it's presented in printed form is much more compelling, it's more of a collection of files that's fun to skim through and the way it's presented is beautiful.

Really, the only reason I spend some audible credit on the audio version is too hear some old Twin Peaks actors perform. And Gordon Cole isn't even done by Lynch.

Agreed, but the stories presented just aren't interesting or well told ("he died of a broken heart" I mean come on.) I did see some of the actual book and it does look a lot better in terms of presentation (for obvious reasons), but if the content isn't compelling, no amount of pics are gonna help.

Hulohot

Neo Member
Hoping that after episode 8 with what the Woodsmen did to evil dale we will have good Dale back, but with longer hair and a guilty conscience.

I think Dougie will remain Dougie for the majority of this season.

Chumley

Banned
Hoping that after episode 8 with what the Woodsmen did to evil dale we will have good Dale back, but with longer hair and a guilty conscience.

I think Dougie will remain Dougie for the majority of this season.

There's no way evil Coop becomes Coop. Dougie is Coop until Coop wakes up.

Hulohot

Neo Member
There's no way evil Coop becomes Coop. Dougie is Coop until Coop wakes up.

If Bob has been removed by the woodsmen, that leaves just Coop?p. Like when Leland was dying and Bob left him moments before he passed. Leland was back, and remembered everything he had done.

I think we will have traumatised guilt ridden Coop and eventually Normal Coop when Dougie wakes up.

If Bob has been removed by the woodsmen, that leaves just Coop?p. Like when Leland was dying and Bob left him moments before he passed. Leland was back, and remembered everything he had done.

I think we will have traumatised guilt ridden Coop and eventually Normal Coop when Dougie wakes up.

Bad Coop is bad regardless of BOB riding along - he's Good Coop's shadow self. We won't end up with two Good Coops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom