• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
Art Life was pretty good. I would've liked a deeper exploration into his relationships and emotions, why he got divorced so many times, etc. but for as much as Lynch was willing to divulge it was good insight. He's clearly been a guy driven by his need to constantly make artwork, be it paintings or films or random arts and crafts.

I think the digital aids the film a lot. Sure it makes a lot of the film look ugly, but it's an ugly film. I really do think the haziness and harshness of the film's look really adds to the dreaminess of it, and that the movie wouldn't be nearly as effective if filmed in a more standard way.

480p is never a good artistic choice. It's a massive sacrifice Lynch was willing to make but there's no good argument for why HD wouldn't have been better.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Finally watched Episode 8.
I haven't felt this uncomfortable and disturbed in a long time.
And i've watched Eraserhead for the first time three weeks ago. (loved it btw)

Lynch has drawn a stunning portrait of overwhelming fear and destruction. The whole atomic bomb sequence was brilliant.

Quite a, how to say it nicely, challenging episode.
Even more so if your an epileptic like me. Damn your obsession with flickering lights, Lynch!

Rien

Jelly Belly
Heh. I remember seeing it when it released day one and everyone coming out of the theatre was sort of dazed by it. The scene at Winkies was utterly terrifying on the big screen.

I can imagine. I bought it when i was 17 or something after watching Donnie Darko and was craving for more mindfuckery. Didnt know what to expect and was blown away. Especialy by the Winkies scene. Fun to see that actor back in LA Noir when it released btw.

I also ador Inland Empire. That film is pure horror to me. Makes me feel horrible and terefied its full length. Its his most Horror approach next to Eraserhead to me.

Plasma

Banned
No new Twin Peaks episode...what do I do?
What's going to happen in the next episode? Is evil Coop still evil Coop? What is Dougie doing right now? And Hawk?
Where is Albert, Cole and Diane? Damn, this is torture.
VBOVzyX.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I can imagine. I bought it when i was 17 or something after watching Donnie Darko and was craving for more mindfuckery. Didnt know what to expect and was blown away. Especialy by the Winkies scene. Fun to see that actor back in LA Noir when it released btw.

I also ador Inland Empire. That film is pure horror to me. Makes me feel horrible and terefied its full length. Its his most Horror approach next to Eraserhead to me.

I think it's no coincidence Inland Empire is the only movie of his Lynch himself considers a horror movie.

So since there was no new episode last night my girlfriend and I watched Mulholland Drive... What in the fuck did I watch? I love Lynch weirdness but can someone attempt to explain anything that happened?

SamVimes

So since there was no new episode last night my girlfriend and I watched Mulholland Drive... What in the fuck did I watch? I love Lynch weirdness but can someone attempt to explain anything that happened?

First half is a dream.
If you think about it with that key in mind it'll be much easier.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Rewatched seasons 1 and 2 during the break, and will now be watching the missing pieces and the first 8 eps again. I'm glad this break happened.

its clear when you mull it over. I should just link to a post that I always thought was a great, straightforward explanation of the events:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=204265840&postcount=18

First half is a dream.
If you think about it with that key in mind it'll be much easier.
That's a really good explanation and things make a lot more sense now, thank you.
We're marathoning Part 1 through 8 tomorrow and having some friends over to join us for it. It's going to be a lot of fun I reckon.
Enjoy your 8 hour movie!

I love Mulholland Dr.

My take on it (and it's Lynch so who knows how accurate it is) is that the first half is Diane's life - or delusional version of it - flashing before her eyes as she dies, while the second half is reality.

The bum behind Winkies is a manifestation of the evil things she has suppressed in the delusion.

giphy.gif

Rien

Jelly Belly
I love Mulholland Dr.

My take on it (and it's Lynch so who knows how accurate it is) is that the first half is Diane's life - or delusional version of it - flashing before her eyes as she dies, while the second half is reality.

The bum behind Winkies is a manifestation of the evil things she has suppressed in the delusion.

giphy.gif

The guy from the gif is Angelo Badalamenti btw

PolishQ

Tagline for Part 13 is out:
What story is that, Charlie?

No idea who
Charlie
is.

That's the August 6 episode, when the show moves to 8pm.

---

It was really interesting to rewatch Parts 1-3 last night, knowing what we now know (or "know"). Especially Cooper's journey from the Black Lodge to the glass box to the White Lodge, and the 2:53 event.

This time I got the impression that both lodges "opened" at 2:53. The Black Lodge manifested to Evil Coop as the red curtains, and the White Lodge manifested as the electrical activity in his car's power socket. Evil Coop tricked the Black Lodge into taking Dougie instead of him, but still felt the effects of the White Lodge and expelled his garmonbozia. This kind of goes along with what American Girl says: "When you get there you'll already be there." She doesn't know that the Black Lodge is going to take Dougie, so she's preparing Cooper to see his double when he emerges.

It also seems like travelling via electricity is specifically a White Lodge thing. We've never seen anything electrical in the Red Room (except for the Evolution of the Arm, but I'll get to that), but the White Lodge is full of electrical equipment (the "3" and "15" outlets, the blue lamp, and those huge bell-shaped things).

So I'm still feeling pretty good about my theory that the Red Room is an "outpost" that the denizens of the White Lodge set up inside the Black Lodge. An attempt to tame it, so to speak. The Black Lodge's natural state is a pure black void, which we briefly glimpse in Part 2 when the curtains billow up. But I also think that the attempt to tame it is not quite working, or at least the Black Lodge is changing the White Lodge folk in ways they didn't anticipate - making the Evolution of the Arm kind of a hybrid between the two Lodges. He's an electrical entity mixed with the horrors of the Black Lodge.

Their attempt to tame the Black Lodge was also their attempt to tame BOB, to use him for their own ends. And at this point, I'm seeing Twin Peaks as being the story of the failure of that attempt. Of course Part 9 could blow all of this out of the water. We'll see!

OK so was Bob created by man's most evil weapon, or did he exist before? It seems like there's a give and take with energy, with the weird alien thing belching out Bob and then the White Lodge (??!!) getting and alarm and countering with... Laura, I guess?

I'm expecting that Bob manifested originally as that frogbug, but did we see how Laura manifested originally?

Also, gotta light?

...So, what was the reasoning behind that?

amazed 200 pages in and we are still seeing people just watching Mulholland Drive for the first time and asking "what is the reasoning behind this" lol

in a way im jealous for the first timers. Lynch has been doing weird for a long long time. if you are just now getting into him get ready to be asking what the reason constantly.

Flipyap

...So, what was the reasoning behind that?
Lynch and Frost are weird dudes.

It's unexpected and it probably made them laugh, I doubt they needed a deeper reason. They wrote some seriously goofy comedy together (see: On The Air and the One Saliva Bubble screenplay).

PolishQ

OK so was Bob created by man's most evil weapon, or did he exist before? It seems like there's a give and take with energy, with the weird alien thing belching out Bob and then the White Lodge (??!!) getting and alarm and countering with... Laura, I guess?

I'm expecting that Bob manifested originally as that frogbug, but did we see how Laura manifested originally?

Also, gotta light?

Pretty sure Bob existed before, and potentially has always existed.

The Secret History novel heavily implies that the Roswell incident in 1947 was Laura's orb arriving on Earth.

She always had super strength.

bub9GB3.gif

The teenage Nadine subplot started in a Frost/Lynch episode.
Yes. Though they do seemingly offer an explanation if I remember right. Something about her pumping adrenalin. Doc Hayward mentions it after the suicide attempt.

And that subplot is great (again her ragdolling the guy on the football field aside).

Corpsepyre

Banned
amazed 200 pages in and we are still seeing people just watching Mulholland Drive for the first time and asking "what is the reasoning behind this" lol

in a way im jealous for the first timers. Lynch has been doing weird for a long long time. if you are just now getting into him get ready to be asking what the reason constantly.

I've watched all of Lynch. I was just wondering if that Nadine bit was ever explained in any other media, like the novels that Frost put out. I remember reading something about the powers being a by-product of the lodge, but can't remember where it said that.

Pretty sure Bob existed before, and potentially has always existed.

The Secret History novel heavily implies that the Roswell incident in 1947 was Laura's orb arriving on Earth.

Huh, okay. I haven't read the Secret History so that's helpful. That's really interesting that it's sort of "tied" to real world events, I wasn't expecting that so much.

It's so heart warming to see gifs and screen grabs of The Return popping up all over GAF in other threads. It's such a nice surprise every time it happens. I love how, despite the low viewing figures, it seems to have influenced GAF specifically pretty heavily.

Goddamn I love this show, and it's official now. I'll be sat drinking a cup of coffee and eating a slice of pie at the RR later this month, and watching a brand new episode of Twin Peaks sat in the Roadhouse.

Amusingly we're banned from doing Closer by "the" Nine Inch Nails at the karaoke at the Roadhouse this year. I guess they didn't enjoy one hundred people singing "I want to fuck you like an animal" as loud as we could.

Jean Michel would have stood for it damnit! Do your fictional counterpart justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom