• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's still pretty watchable. Just gotta get through the James shit.

Me and me girlfriend laughed our asses through the James stuff when we binged it a few weeks ago for the first time

"He's...met her in a bar, and is now moved in with her and her husband, he's fixing her car, she's now shagging him and is planning to do...what? Hahaha holy shit waaaaaht are you smoking writers"

Terribad but funny

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I don't mean to besmirch the direction, but in terms of digesting TV, when I re-watched some of the more meandering scenes, like the slow zooms into an explosion etc, I just skip it to the next Dougie or evil coop scene.

It's OK as a first watch, but similarly to the scene of watching that guy sweep up, I just skipped it the second time. So dunno how it's all gonna hold up so to speak.
I think, compared to what the original season was doing, this new season requires a different attitude as a viewer to really appreciate. The old show had a sense of constant drama and progression as it cut between scenes following different characters across town. But rather than constantly leaving you wondering what's next, the new show instead wants to immerse you in each new moment. I feel like Lynch is approaching this like Carl Rodd, looking up into the trees and enjoying the breeze, or Jacobi sitting alone, immersed in working on his shovels. I think Lynch is going back to the impulse that brought him to filmmaking in the first place - the desire to create moving paintings.

Separated from the desire to see the next bit of drama play out, I think some of the most enjoyment of this show can be found in the long, protracted moments, even on a rewatch. It's just a different kind of pleasure to what the old show was giving out.

Plasma

Banned
It's still pretty watchable. Just gotta get through the James shit.

I agree with you that the episodes before Leland dies are good but there's more than just the James shit in the middle that makes it bad. Ben re-enacting the civil war, Cooper being suspended from the FBI and Josie's maid storyline are just some of the the really terrible parts.

I have to agree 100% with this sentiment.

I recently started rewatching and I had to come to terms with something: it's not very rewatchable.

I mean, I have loved every minute of the show in first viewing, no matter how ponderous. But on a second viewing, when you know what happens, this shit drags.

That's something I wouldn't say about the original series. I can rewatch any random episode any time and be totally into it.

I'm rewatching all the Parts for a 3rd time because of the break, and couldn't disagree more. Knowing where some of the plotlines are headed has only enhanced the Parts. I really love the DougieCoop scenes more, and really all of it. It's also interesting how much faster it seems to move. Knowing what the golden shovels are all about or where the sweeping scene is leading or even the abstract imagery inside the nuclear explosion. When you first watch these things you have no idea how long they will take so every second ticks by very slowly. But knowing the general length and rhythm of a scene makes it much easier to fall into their groove.

And a few stray observations and thoughts about the Parts 1-8. Carel Struycken does a great job backwards acting. I really enjoy his delivery in that opening scene. I think Al Strobel does a great job too (yes even the way he says "future"). I don't think Sheryl Lee does very well with it though. I'm not sure if she's rusty or just didn't get the time to work it but her delivery was just not very good. It almost seemed like they had to redub her lines. Her physicality and how she moved in the space was great though.

Kyle MacLachlan is such a good fucking actor. His work as all his characters is phenomenal. Mr C. feels like a different person. It looks like Kyle but it's hard to see him at all. As Cooper, his reactions in the Lodge(s) are just brilliant. He projects so well while maintaining a coolness. And of course infantile Cooper is something special. The way he takes in the world around him and responds to it is breathtaking. You can see the goodness of Cooper underneath it all and it's heartbreaking but also uplifting. He's a man that just wants to do good. Every time he smiles it makes me feel better. Also he has some truly hilarious moments.

The Jones household features a lamp on their table in the living room(?) that looks like half a golden orb. Don't think there's any significance but when you can't see the whole lamp it looks like it's floating in the periphery. It's very prominent in the scenes at night after the officers bring him home.

I noticed in the scene with Bushnell Mullins where they are going over the case files that Cooper is fascinated by the poster behind Mullins. I think it's more than just simple fascination. Cooper is actually making a connection between Mullins past in a different career and his own past, in a different career, as an FBI agent. He seems kind of blown away that Mullins used to be this young strong man.

As for the case files. I think it's very simple what's going on. The symbols he is drawing are just linking elements between cases that indicate fraud. His coworker Tony clearly worked all those claims and probably involved the same officers across the investigations, maybe setting up dupe accounts and addresses.

It may seem obvious, but I didn't really pay attention to the drug trade plotline during my first 2 watches. It's clearly going to tie together a lot of other threads this season. I would not be surprised if it becomes a major focal point. I assume Becky is doing the same drug that killed the kid at the high school, that Red is selling and Richard also tried out and will now sell.

I still have parts 7&8 to rewatch and I'm sure I'll be connecting more dots.

Slaythe

I agree with you that the episodes before Leland dies are good but there's more than just the James shit in the middle that makes it bad. Ben re-enacting the civil war, Cooper being suspended from the FBI and Josie's maid storyline are just some of the the really terrible parts.

Don't forget Donna and Nadine.

Shearie

I watched season 1 and 2 for the first time starting a couple of months ago and in the middle of episode 14 of season 2, I had to stop since I thought the series got really bad. I jumped to the last 2 episodes of season 2 since I heard they both aired at the same time originally so I thought they would be a cohesive whole as a finale, but those 2 episodes are so different. Didn't care much for the 2nd to last episode of season 2 but the last one is great.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Her physicality and how she moved in the space was great though.
Oh man, yeah. Watching her walk over and kiss Cooper and whisper in his ear was so beautiful to take in - even though it's essentially something we've seen before. The slowness of how it plays now brought it to another level.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Just finished first episode Season 2. Leland is hilarious and sad at the same time with his singing and dancing. Also the waiter at the beginning after Dale being shot was great. So fucking weird man.

You leave Ben out of this.

Oh man, yeah. Watching her walk over and kiss Cooper and whisper in his ear was so beautiful to take in - even though it's essentially something we've seen before. The slowness of how it plays now brought it to another level.

I especially love the way she moves the strand of hair from behind her ear.

We've seen Laura, or whatever she is, in the red room 3 times in the original run. Episode 2 dream sequence, Episode 29, and FWWM. She is made up differently in each incarnation. But it looks to me like they combined Episode 2 and FWWM looks for her appearance in Part 2. I don't know if that means anything.

Corpsepyre

Banned
A few questions.

Did we ever find out what became of Leo? In the books, maybe? Anywhere?

Also, what information is out there regarding the 'blue rose'? Cooper mentioned there are 'blue rose cases' in FWWM. What's the word on that?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
A few questions.

Did we ever find out what became of Leo? In the books, maybe? Anywhere?

Also, what information is out there regarding the 'blue rose'? Cooper mentioned there are 'blue rose cases' in FWWM. What's the word on that?

Leo's fate is in the Twin Peaks Secret Files.

Blue Rose is evident
because a blue rose doesn't happen in nature, therefore it has a paranormal connotation

Kuraudo

Banned
Watching this show is like awakening to Baudrillard's desert of the real. So many recent properties that proudly carry Lynch's influence revealed to be Lynchian simulacra.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Secret what now? If you're thinking of The Secret History of Twin Peaks, that book doesn't reveal Leo's fate.

It didn't?! (I totally botched the name as well, sorry hahaha). I remember reading it somewhere. Huh.

Can you tell me what his fate was?

From the wiki:

In the original script for Episode 29, Deputy Hawk and Major Briggs come to the cabin and Leo smiles when he sees them, which then causes the tarantulas to fall. Leo's screams and gunfire are then heard. However, since this was not filmed and he has not been confirmed to appear in the 2017 series, Leo's fate is currently unknown.

However, it was never mentioned if this led to Leo's death. Or if the spiders even attacked him at all, for that matter (they're tarantulas, which rarely ever bite humans and almost certainly wouldn't have harmed Leo even if they were startled by their cage falling on his head).

Also, if Hawk is the only one with a gun in this scene, what was he even supposed to be shooting? Hawk is a pretty cool cucumber, and a skilled outdoorsman who would know that his gunfire is about 1000% more likely to injure Leo than the spiders are.

Ben reenacting the Civil War is a highlight of the series, let alone the season!

Joqu

I doubt the tarantulas were supposed to be tarantulas in universe

...Though they might be in Lynch's episode 29.

No new Twin Peaks episode...what do I do?
What's going to happen in the next episode? Is evil Coop still evil Coop? What is Dougie doing right now? And Hawk?
Where is Albert, Cole and Diane? Damn, this is torture.

I'm watching it right now.

Evil Coop has been eating beans while asking "How's BOB" for 10 minutes straight to a crack in his hotel room wall.

The wall told E-Coop to "Confront himself."

It's majestic story telling.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yeah, the two week wait is as fun as we all thought it was going to be ahead of time. Least now we're half way over with that. And the bright side is this is the last break, after this week there's a new episode every Sunday until the series finale on September 3rd, which there will be two new episodes aired together (Part 17 & 18).

And then after that a few months later Mark Frost will release the Final Dossier book, and then that likely will be the last of Twin Peaks. Lynch and Kyle have said there could be more based on how this season does, but this season is intended to be conclusive and I always figured by more they more meant a new story rather than a continuation. And to be honest I don't think it's going to happen, for a few reasons but not the least being that Lynch and Frost themselves aren't getting any younger. I hope they live a lot longer but you never know when you get around that age, so until proven otherwise I'm just viewing this new season as probably Lynch's last major work in television/film.

I said I wasn't gonna rewatch any of the episodes till it was all over but with the break and episode 8 being amazing, I may as well just watch it again.

Given I liked episode 8 so much, I should probably watch more of these David Lynch films you guys are talking about.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
If anyone is waiting for the next episode, loving the new season, and hasn't seen any of the following, I'd highly recommend it.

-Eraserhead
-Blue Velvet
-Wild At Heart
-Lost Highway
-The Straight Story
-Mulholland Drive
-Inland Empire

Some of these are more generally well received than others, but really it's down to your personal taste which of these you'll end up liking the most but I think there's very definite vibes from all of these films in the new Twin Peaks in different faucets of the season.

If you've seen all of these and don't feel like rewatching, here's a few other things he's worked on that might be worth checking out:

-Check out David Lynch's short films, he's made a variety over the years and most every one can be found online.

-Check out "On The Air", which was a seven-episode comedy series by David Lynch and Mark Frost. It aired after Twin Peaks, every episode was done by David Lynch and Mark Frost, and a number of the Twin Peaks actors are in the show playing different roles.

-Check out "Hotel Room", a strange and kind of slow 3-episode short series by David Lynch and Monty Montgomery about people staying in a hotel room where strange things take place.

-As mentioned above, David Lynch The Art Life is available on Amazon Prime now too and may be worth checking out.

-If you run out of these, there's a lot of misc commercials, advertisements, and the like Lynch has done, and plenty of interviews that's been recorded.

If you want to see another source this season has been really pulling from you can also read the two scripts available online for Ronnie Rocket and the script for Saliva Bubbles, both are projects that never came to be by Lynch & Frost. Ronnie Rocket is all Lynch, it was the movie he wanted to follow-up Eraserhead with and worked on the script multiple times and pitched over the years but it just never ended up happening. Two of his scripts for it are available online (the first one available was his version of the script around the time he was working on Dune, the second one being from around the time he was working on Lost Highway). Saliva Bubbles was Lynch and Frost's second attempt to make a television series together and the take they did before Northwest Passage (which turned into Twin Peaks). Saliva Bubbles was a comedy series about people swapping bodies after a government experiment goes terribly wrong. Element of both of these can be seen in the new season and in fact both are directly referenced in the new season a few times.

---

The Lynch Legacy, basically.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Just saw Mulholland Drive tonight for the first time. That filled the weekly Lynch quota, and then some.

Kadayi

Banned
Ow i wish i could see that film again for the first time.. all time favorite.

Heh. I remember seeing it when it released day one and everyone coming out of the theatre was sort of dazed by it. The scene at Winkies was utterly terrifying on the big screen.

Dalek

I started watching Inland Empire for the first time tonight. It's really slow and the digital is really off putting, especially considering how gorgeous The Return has been.

Also this is one of my favorite short films of his. It's all one shot and less than one minute.

https://youtu.be/IFpoWwY65KI

hughesta

Banned
I started watching Inland Empire for the first time tonight. It's really slow and the digital is really off putting, especially considering how gorgeous The Return has been.
I think the digital aids the film a lot. Sure it makes a lot of the film look ugly, but it's an ugly film. I really do think the haziness and harshness of the film's look really adds to the dreaminess of it, and that the movie wouldn't be nearly as effective if filmed in a more standard way.

HotHamBoy

More to tide you:

C7MczuuU8AE-Zmp.jpg

Twin Peaks Japanese Georgia Coffee Commercials From The Original Series Run Starring The Cast

This is an original mystery over 4 parts and two minutes. Coop loves that fuckin Georgia coffee, man.

twin-peaks-japanes_3508783b.jpg

In case you forgot, David Lynch made a bunch of PlayStation 2 commercials once

This one is amazing

Insufferable film. The only Lynch movie I couldn't finish.

Flipyap

-Check out "On The Air", which was a seven-episode comedy series by David Lynch and Mark Frost. It aired after Twin Peaks, every episode was done by David Lynch and Mark Frost, and a number of the Twin Peaks actors are in the show playing different roles.
If by "every episode" you mean "one," then yeah, that checks out. Frost wrote two more and Lynch wrote the final episode with Engels. Only the first episode was directed by Lynch.
I thought it was a really bad show with very few highlights here and there, mostly in Lynch's two episodes.

-Check out "Hotel Room", a strange and kind of slow 3-episode short series by David Lynch and Monty Montgomery about people staying in a hotel room where strange things take place.
More importantly (Montgomery was an executive producer), 2 of its 3 episodes are directed by Lynch and written by Barry Gifford (Lost Highway) and they're fantastic. The other one... not so much.
HBO sucks, so it never saw a re-release after it came out on VHS, but I strongly recommend tracking it down. A crummy VHS rip chewed up by YouTube and old-timey DivX compression will still look better than Inland Empire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom