• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipyap

Um, what am I seeing here? The screenshot has early 00's era of pixelation. Can't see shit.
b2WVQVP.png

The wallpaper in the house where the Woodsman are standing is the same wallpaper as the house that Laura walks around in her dream in FWWM.

Thank you!

Speaking of the Woodmen, Diane sees one sneaking up toward the car and does nothing. She doesn't even bring it up until much later, and does it in such a half-hearted way. What's the deal with that?

Thank you!

Speaking of the Woodmen, Diane sees one sneaking up toward the car and does nothing. She doesn't even bring it up until much later, and does it in such a half-hearted way. What's the deal with that?

Between the Mr. C text message reply, this, and trying to memorize the coordinates she saw on the image, she's clearly hiding quite a bit, if not a doppelgänger herself.

Rewatching the episode... I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the Woodsmen being able to just invisibly insta-squish people's heads. They're definitely more of a threat than Bob ever was, which is pretty surprising.

It sort of cheapens the Lodge's whole gimmick if spirits can kill indiscriminately without possessing anyone. Maybe the victims need to be near a portal, but we've seen woodsmen in the Buckthorn jail and the morgue, so maybe not.

They didn't kill Ray though, so there must be some limit to their abilities.

I couldn't care less about the old waitress character and family, but the rest was good. The hobo sneaking into the car was really unsetlling for some reason (and then "he's dead", damn lol). And I didn't think that I would ever appreciate a Jim Belushi performance that much.

Slaythe

Rewatching the episode... I'm not 100% sure how I feel about the Woodsmen being able to just invisibly insta-squish people's heads. They're definitely more of a threat than Bob ever was, which is pretty surprising.

It sort of cheapens the Lodge's whole gimmick if spirits can kill indiscriminately without possessing anyone. Maybe the victims need to be near a portal, but we've seen woodsmen in the Buckthorn jail and the morgue, so maybe not.

They can only kill those that have been within their dimension, and if they're nearby a strong source of "energy" I assume.

Bob can possess regular humans.

Between the Mr. C text message reply, this, and trying to memorize the coordinates she saw on the image, she's clearly hiding quite a bit, if not a doppelgänger herself.

I'm starting to lean towards this scenario or that she's possessed in the way Leland was by a Lodge resident.

Considering we never met Diane prior to this season, it would be impossible for us to immediately tell if she was behaving differently or not. Albert, however, did remark to Gordon that she has changed, started drinking more, etc. and Gordon later admits that she felt off when they hugged.

I feel like they're not just out to kill everything though. I saw the murder of Hastings as retaliation for leading others to their hideout, or maybe finishing the job they didn't get to finish last time he was there.

I'm starting to lean towards this scenario or that she's possessed in the way Leland was by a Lodge resident.

Considering we never met Diane prior to this season, it would be impossible for us to immediately tell if she was behaving differently or not. Albert, however, did remark to Gordon that she has changed, started drinking more, etc. and Gordon later admits that she felt off when they hugged.
Oooh that's a cool read. That would make sense. Looking forward to seeing this all play out!

Zoe

So when the couple in New York got killed, we all said it looked like a stabbing motion, but doesn't the end result look an awful lot like what happened to Shaggy?

Joqu

This episode... Bobby and Carl being proper MVPs, that Mitchum Bros turnaround, the cherry pie and Cooper's reaction to it, and probably my favourite toasty spook boy yet in that approach of the car scene. And it looked gorgeous and was so tense.

Damn good.

Yes.

WriterGK

OH MY I posted on Amy Shiels her instagram that She Rocks Candy out of the Park and that she is terrific in every episode . And now she liked my comment :D Instagram is so awesome way to communicate with famous people as a fan :D

Bob can go anywhere in disguise and hence influence the real world beyond head explosions. They might also not be able to kill outside of certain gathering spots.

Levito

Banned
I'm pretty sure Bob is capable of far worse, more grand evil than the Woodsmen are.

Like obviously we don't know for sure yet, but the Log Lady talking about electricity dying sounds pretty extreme and I'm sure that has something to do with Bob being reunited with the Mother.

g11

They can only kill those that have been within their dimension, and if they're nearby a strong source of "energy" I assume.

Bob can possess regular humans.

I don't know about that. Of the skull crushings we've seen, only Hastings is someone we know has been across the dimensional divide. The two people in the radio station in the desert in the 50s just seemed like average people.

My guess is the woodsmen can kill indiscriminately, but that they choose not to. They're more ambivalent about killing than being strictly malevolent. It seemed pretty obvious that he/it specifically targeted Hastings when he could have just popped all their noggins if he wanted to.

That said, with the skull crushing established as the woodsmen's preferred kill method and Major Brigg's head curiously missing, I wouldn't be surprised if that's not why.

Slaythe

I don't know about that. Of the skull crushings we've seen, only Hastings is someone we know has been across the dimensional divide. The two people in the radio station in the desert in the 50s just seemed like average people.

My guess is the woodsmen can kill indiscriminately, but that they choose not to. They're more ambivalent about killing than being strictly malevolent. It seemed pretty obvious that he/it specifically targeted Hastings when he could have just popped all their noggins if he wanted to.

That said, with the skull crushing established as the woodsmen's preferred kill method and Major Brigg's head curiously missing, I wouldn't be surprised if that's not why.

I am 100% convinced what happened in the past was the left overs from the nuclear blast energy, but they could never do that before this blast, nor decades later or "anywhere" else that doesn't have this source of energy.

Wouldn't make a lot of sense otherwise, they could just kill the whole world whenever they want.

Levito

Banned
I don't really buy the theory that the Woodsmen can only be seen by folks that've been to the Black Lodge or whatever. What about all the people in the 1950s that saw them? I doubt the old couple in the car have traveled to another dimension.

gun_haver

I don't really buy the theory that the Woodsmen can only be seen by folks that've been to the Black Lodge or whatever. What about all the people in the 1950s that saw them? I doubt the old couple in the car have traveled to another dimension.

I think I'm different, or maybe lazier, in the way I watch stuff cos I really don't care at all about the exact mechanics of the lodge stuff. It's an interesting mystery, but it's only interesting because I don't know what's going on. The stuff that actually engages me from moment to moment, beyond the mystery, is just the emotional content. If the emotional stuff is good, I'm in. The woodsmen stuff can be indecipherable as long as it remains interesting.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
AV Club review.

The title of Twin Peaks’ revival—a title that originally seemed simple—is starting to feel momentous. “Twin Peaks: The Return” is not just the return of the show Twin Peaks or a return to the town of Twin Peaks. Eleven episodes into “Twin Peaks: The Return,” it’s becoming clear that this isn’t just a show’s unlikely return after more than 25 years; it’s a show about returning.

It’s about nostalgia for a show that never was, for an adorable quirkiness that some audiences and press superimposed over something much grimmer. It’s about the return of actors to great but often misremembered roles. For some of them, it’s a return from the grave; Catherine E. Coulson, Don S. Davis, Miguel Ferrer, and Warren Frost died before the series could be completed.

It’s about a spirit of goodness and strength sent (in the form of Laura Palmer) to redress the balance after humankind unleashes upon itself a new form of evil. In that sense, it’s about the return of mercy. (Not of innocence, because innocence lost cannot be regained and knowledge gained can’t be lost again. Laura knew that.)

Twin Peaks: The Return isn’t about Dale Cooper swaggering in to the rescue. It’s about the odyssey of trying to return to the past—to a youthful vigor long lost, to a once razor-keen mind now clouded, to a world left behind. No matter how fully Cooper recovers from his current state, no matter how much of his crisp professional shine or his piercing intelligence or his charming eccentricity he regains, he will never be the Dale Cooper he knew, or the Dale Cooper we knew, because that man existed 25 years ago.

Two months ago, I said that death, age, and loss loom over this production with searing, sweet honesty, and that becomes truer as the series continues. Dale Cooper can come back, but he’ll never be the dashing young man he was. That dashing young man is gone. No road, however mystical, can take him (or us) back to the past. No map can guide us into our youth again. We can only go into the future and do our best.

Presumably, they can only appear near places or people marked by the Black Lodge. In this episode, there was clearly a portal nearby, which allowed one to get to Hastings. In the 1950's, they descended from the site of the Experiment, and they specifically did so to find a host for the bug creature. The one in the jail cell next to Hastings could probably only appear due to Hastings and his fear. The one in the hospital was present due to Major Briggs in the morgue.

It's possible that they can only kill in places where their power is strongest--hence why they could kill Hastings near the portal but not the prison.

Levito

Banned
Since the very beginning of Twin Peaks, they have said that there's a "great evil" in the PNW. We first hear about this when Harry told Coop about the secret society they have in town to combat the evil. Last night Hawk reconfirmed the native americans have known about this for a loooooong time.

I think the bomb in the 1940s opened up a portal for the mother to send Bob through, in the first season Mike said "Bob has been here for nearly 40 years". The evil in the PNW sent the woodsmen to help Bob(assuming Bob was the bug in ep 8), as they have mutual goals. I not sure Bob and the Mother are the same thing as the evil in the PNW; they're working together though.

The giant sent Laura to maybe pre-occupy Bob, a sacrifice of sorts, as cold as that sounds.

Anyways that's my theory as to what the woodsmen are.

Best show on television right now y'all

Is there any doubt? It's so captivating.

Solo

That was a fantastic episode - perhaps my favorite of the whole season so far. The Dougie stuff was wonderful, all of it.

I think I'm different, or maybe lazier, in the way I watch stuff cos I really don't care at all about the exact mechanics of the lodge stuff. It's an interesting mystery, but it's only interesting because I don't know what's going on. The stuff that actually engages me from moment to moment, beyond the mystery, is just the emotional content. If the emotional stuff is good, I'm in. The woodsmen stuff can be indecipherable as long as it remains interesting.

Yeah, I'm starting to realize I prefer entertainment that can be appreciated on an intuitive level first and an analytical level second. I don't want to think at all when I'm watching something.

Levito

Banned
Honestly as far as explanations go, I don't need every mystery spelled out. If watching LOST taught me anything, it's that writers need to tread lightly when it comes to explanations of mysteries, what's important to explain and what's better left for the audience to theorize over.(there was a god damn talking bird in LOST and the explanation for it was hilariously bad)

A good example of a necessary mystery being solved is the pages of Laura's diary in this new season. We all wanted to know who tore out the pages of her diary all those years ago, why she never mentioned seeing Annie in her bed etc. Now we know Leland tore the pages out. It ties through events of the original run, FWWM, and The Return. It's really satisfying pay off.

To contrast that though, I don't think it's super important we learn what happened to Chester Desmond. I'm just going to assume touching the owl cave ring brought him to the black lodge and he's lost there.

g11

Since the very beginning of Twin Peaks, they have said that there's a "great evil" in the PNW. We first hear about this when Harry told Coop about the secret society they have in town to combat the evil. Last night Hawk reconfirmed the native americans have known about this for a loooooong time.

I think the bomb in the 1940s opened up a portal for the mother to send Bob through, in the first season Mike said "Bob has been here for nearly 40 years". The evil in the PNW sent the woodsmen to help Bob(assuming Bob was the bug in ep 8), as they have mutual goals. I not sure Bob and the Mother are the same thing as the evil in the PNW; they're working together now though.

The giant sent Laura to maybe pre-occupy Bob, a sacrifice of sorts, as cold as that sounds.

Anyways that's my theory as to what the woodsmen are.

Is there any doubt? It's so captivating.

That's more along my lines of thinking. The woodsmen, The Experiment and/or BOB are all different from humans but probably also different from each other. This is something theorized in Secret History by Millford and we know that The Giant is part of a race/species that's pretty benevolent toward humanity while the others are varying degrees of malevolence or ambivalence.

gun_haver

I haven't really been dying for it, or expecting it thus far, but I think Cooper might wake up next week. The Dougie stuff is pretty close to complete as an arc - he's made friends of his enemies, he's made his wife happy, he's done well at work, everyone basically loves him. The only things left are Tom Sizemore's character and the guy in the high rise vegas office.

Also, 2:53pm will be coming up in the next episode, most likely, and it feels to me like that time is going to do something to Cooper. Maybe that's when he was originally supposed to re-emerge or something like that.

I could also see Coop remembering everything with Janey-E and staying with her and Sonny Jim in the end, at the end of the show, if everything turns out well.

I could also see Coop remembering everything with Janey-E and staying with her and Sonny Jim in the end, at the end of the show, if everything turns out well.

The you can have your cherry pie and eat it too ending?

I'm not sure that Lynch or Frost will give us this.

I haven't really been dying for it, or expecting it thus far, but I think Cooper might wake up next week. The Dougie stuff is pretty close to complete as an arc - he's made friends of his enemies, he's made his wife happy, he's done well at work, everyone basically loves him. The only things left are Tom Sizemore's character and the guy in the high rise vegas office.

Also, 2:53pm will be coming up in the next episode, most likely, and it feels to me like that time is going to do something to Cooper. Maybe that's when he was originally supposed to re-emerge or something like that.

He'll have to change his name to Coopy.

gun_haver

The you can have your cherry pie and eat it too ending?

I'm not sure that Lynch or Frost will give us this.

Lynch has been known to go for super happy endings from time to time. He's really a big softie. It's impossible to predict though, it's just something that came into my head that seemed plausible. More plausible than Naomi Watts just saying 'oh so you were cooper all along, haha oops, bye bye dougie!'

I think Coop would like Janey-E.

Levito

Banned
I saw a very interesting theory about what the ending of the show might be, and that it might literally be the end of Fire Walk With Me.

"Laura is the one" and at the end of FWWM, she finds her angel; finally finds peace--and Coop is with her. The reason for the whole show happening was "who killed Laura Palmer", so it might be fitting to end with her being the cole focus after all.

That was without a doubt the best episode of the season. In fact, it's the type of tone I thought the show would have before season 3 aired.

I'd place it up there with episodes 1, 2, 7 and 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom