• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoner

It could very well be a troll, but if the timeline progresses like it looks like it is, then this episode should be October 2nd, which is when the Sherrif's department is going to Jack Rabbit's Palace at the allotted time which Bill more than hinted is going to be when the worlds connect there. Plus the FBI seem to be headed for it now too and this seems like it's related to the coordinates that Mr. C has been looking for.

And we all know which character in Twin Peaks uses the phrase, "Let's rock!," pretty iconically. Though knowing Lynch and Frost it may be someone else who says it, though I admit I want to hear the Arm Tree say it.

lets-rock-windshield.jpg

(it still could be very different than what we expect and I tend to go into each episode seeing what happens rather than expecting something, but with that episode title and the fact it's related to Major Brigg's Note and the time and date that's been painted as important several times in the series now ever since Part 3, I'm thinking there is a chance something interesting could happen.)

Is there a chance for a Chet Desmond reappearance? Is he on the cast list?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm pretty sure Shelly's response there was supposed to throw a lot of shade, but I feel Shelly may get her act together.

Here she is saying all of this stuff about her daughter and her situation, and then immediately after gets woo'd away by some bad boy who we all know has some bizarre dimensional dime trick and threatened he'd crack open a guys skull and eat his head out (also there was one old movie he really liked).

It's also related to later I'm pretty sure when Bobby see's the kid in the car who shot a gun who is wearing the same clothes as his father, Becky is Bobby and Shelly's child. While the easier comparison to make for Becky is she's similar to Shelly because she's a girl and she's with a shitbag husband, there's also been a lot in Becky that reminds of Bobby; her drug ring involvement, emotional side turned to anger as we saw this episode, and her passiveness to her parents in the diner to them like Bobby did to his parents in the first season. Becky has some of the worst traits of both Bobby and Shelly from the original run, and though it's easy to dislike Shelly as she ran off to smooch, in many ways I think Bobby realized he was being like his father and not especially in a good way. IE, like his father he's away most of the time with his work (even though a cop and not 'that's classified'), and his talk with her this episode felt less like parental guidance and more like an authority figure talking to her. He brings up a lot how the only reason she's not arrested is because of him, he'll arrest her boyfriend, he takes on a role of authority, and I think he realizes what's happening in that scene with the car where he seems calm to the kind of bizarre things going on the road, but I think it's more he's consumed with a certain feeling to what he's witnessing and how it relates to his relationship with his daughter.

I also feel like Shelly may have a similar revelation soon. Also as Shelly's boyfriend is one of the more mysterious characters right now honestly; we've only seen one full scene of him so far and outside of that seen him a couple of times giving flirtatious looks at Shelly, but we don't hear much of what he says. We do know that Richard's bitchass is working under him, and he did something very bizarre with a dime to Richard that might imply there's a lot more to him than initially is apparent.

Weird out there theory I just thought of, but I wonder if he's "Phillip Jeffries"? I need to recheck the voice stuff left by "Jeffries" to see if it lines up with Shelly's Boyfriend (I seriously need to memorize his name), but he's the villain character in the show that seems like he'd be involved in gang stuff like Mr. C is involved in but hasn't been given much screen time yet a lot of mystery, and also briefly shows something otherworldly about himself. Also as Richard is connected to him, and Richard (and Linda) eventually are going to be important to Cooper, and Mr. C could be tied in if he is indeed "Jeffries", I think him being in that sort of role could be very interesting. Of course, I need a bit more behind this to be a proper 'theory', but it was a misc thought I just had.

The gangster bros are very likeable. I hope they end this series with nothing bad happening to them.

That's why I didn't get the tepid reaction to last week's episode. The Mitchum Bros. + Candie are amazing. The brothers are like Lost Highway/Mulholland. Dr. characters dropped into the wacky world of Twin Peaks. Over the top and "the straight man" at the same time. I'm still laughing at their reaction to Candie taking forever on the security camera in Part 10.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Amanda Seyfried is so underutilised by Hollywood. She's a very good actress.

hobozero

"I was at Big Ed's Gas Farm...and you know what? I heard shots."

I want more Jesse.

I want more Jesse and I want more Candie.

That scene in the diner where Shelley just up and left what seemed like a rather important family get together to kiss her boyfriend made me really dislike her.

He was probably gassing up his new car. Do you want to see it? It's a 2000-

Another time, Jesse.

Slime

Banned
Is there a chance for a Chet Desmond reappearance? Is he on the cast list?

Unless they surprise us, nope. :(

Which sucks because my dream Twin Peaks follow-up always included Chet, Sam and Phillip Jeffries, but in a season that's given me so many things other things I never thought I'd actually see (DIANE! CARL! ANNIE'S DIARY! GORDON AND ALBERT INVESTIGATING BLUE ROSES CASES!), I'll live.

That's why I didn't get the tepid reaction to last week's episode. The Mitchum Bros. + Candie are amazing. The brothers are like Lost Highway/Mulholland. Dr. characters dropped into the wacky world of Twin Peaks. Over the top and "the straight man" at the same time. I'm still laughing at their reaction to Candie taking forever on the security camera in Part 10.

That whole gang is incredible. As much as I want more Twin Peaks, all the Dougie stuff has been worth it for the Mitchum Brothers and Candie.

g11

Unless they surprise us, nope. :(

Which sucks because my dream Twin Peaks follow-up always included Chet, Sam and Phillip Jeffries, but in a season that's given me so many things other things I never thought I'd actually see (DIANE! CARL! ANNIE'S DIARY! GORDON AND ALBERT INVESTIGATING BLUE ROSES CASES!), I'll live.

Not that Secret History is 100% canon but in it we learn that Sam Stanley suffered from a mental breakdown soon after the Teresa Banks case when Chet Desmond disappeared. Shame, it would have been dope to see all of Team Blue Rose working the case just once.

Futureman

Wow. Honestly that may be the best episode of Twin Peaks ever. Hooooly hell!

I just did some screen caps...

WfjfQXkh.jpg

lwiqJmmh.jpg

lTRWHfwh.jpg

jp9TuiDh.jpg

iQRXPRbh.jpg

qEybvPqh.jpg

sSJz17Uh.jpg

Lc8muuyh.jpg

L6RLIbYh.jpg

eFfNfjzh.jpg

What are you doing?!
We're trying to get home!
We're already late!
We're late for dinner it's way past 6:30!
WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??

That episode was so good! Full Lynch, beautiful Dougie, and Bobbie is great. Anytime Dougie comes on I breathe a sigh of release because everything else is so tense.

Slaythe

Not that Secret History is 100% canon but in it we learn that Sam Stanley suffered from a mental breakdown soon after the Teresa Banks case when Chet Desmond disappeared. Shame, it would have been dope to see all of Team Blue Rose working the case just once.

OH no :(((

I wanted all of them back for at least a few scenes.

Wollan

Fantastic episode.
Dougie being baited by coffee and enjoying the hell out of that pie. Saving everyone's day.
Instant laughs at the flute and the "he's dead" comment.
And all the rest.

gun_haver

Did not want this one to end.

I don't think it's the best episode or anything, but every part of it was good and just really enjoyable to watch.

I mean, it has been 25 years. Maybe he's gotten a better understanding in that time?

Maybe I guess (shrugs). He also knows what the 'rabbit head' symbol means but, in a scene that reminded me of Lynch's own story about his neighbour in The Art Life, made it all the more intriguing by not divulging that information.

Is Jesse a bit like Lucy? It may seem like he's trying to just show off his 2000-reg car, but there might be something odd/valid about it he wants Truman to see.

The most common theory for the rabbit head is that it represents the mother.

mother-e1498463456678.jpg

(Notice the horns.)

It is interesting that Hawk is aware of her though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Maybe I guess (shrugs). He also knows what the 'rabbit head' symbol means but, in a scene that reminded me of Lynch's own story about his neighbour in The Art Life, made it all the more intriguing by not divulging that information.

Is Jesse a bit like Lucy? It may seem like he's trying to just show off his 2000-reg car, but there might be something odd/valid about it he wants Truman to see.

This season is interesting in a few ways because you can see some of Lynch's and Frost's personal quirks interest, and experiences creep up from time to time in sometimes obvious (or unobvious at other times) ways. Another very vivid example is the Frog Moth thing in Part 8, which Lynch tells a story in the Mulholland Drive DVD about this train he took in Argentina (I think), and these giant moths, and he describes them as frog moths and just describes them as these giant frog moths crawling and flying around. The car stuff is actually maybe another example of this strangely enough, Lynch said in interviews towards the end of the filming and before the new series released asking what Lynch watched that he had recently been obsessed with this one channel about car mechanics and them making art with how they handle cars, calling them true artists and something fascinating to see. Like just google "David Lynch Twin Peaks interview car show" or something like that, he mentioned it in at least a few interviews. And this episode with Jesse really wanting Truman to check out his car reminded me of Lynch mentioning his recent fascination with watching this car mechanic channel and the artistry of making cars.

EDIT: Found one example of it, but know he said it in at least a few interviews when asked about what he watches:

Wired: Some would argue that Twin Peaks laid the groundwork for the golden age of television. What TV are you watching now?

Lynch: I always said I loved Mad Men and Breaking Bad. But the only thing I watch now is the news and the Velocity channel. It's about cars.

Wired: Why cars?

Lynch: I love people who customize and build cars—they're great artists with metal and machines. Do you know Brough Motorcycles, the British bikes? They thrill my soul.
https://www.wired.com/2017/05/david-lynch-twin-peaks-interview/

silenttwn

Yeah it's a new Badalamenti composition, that contains a version of 'Sycamore Trees' from the season two finale. Cooper reacted to it as such because he saw and heard Jimmy Scott performing it in The Red Room (while being blasted with strobe lights).

I got wildly excited when I caught the melody. Even the faster parts are still taken from that song, just arranged super differently.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2vOg0HyJpvI

It's vaguely similar to Sycamore Trees but I don't think Sycamore Trees is in there.

EDIT: Found one example of it, but know he said it in at least a few interviews when asked about what he watches:

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/david-lynch-twin-peaks-interview/

Yeah that makes sense, he does tend to squeeze his interests in there.

In a completely unrelated note, we still don't know Red's full (or real) name yet so I presume there's something significant about it.

The most common theory for the rabbit head is that it represents the mother.

mother-e1498463456678.jpg

(Notice the horns.)

It is interesting that Hawk is aware of her though.

I read the Mother/horn thing a lot, but her's stick upwards so I'm not sure it's the same thing.

silenttwn

yeah it isn't really. there are some similarities in the lead piano line with the saxophone but you have to really be looking for it, and they aren't the same notes.

But I think buttonmasher might be onto something. I think Coop is perhaps reminded of Sycamore Trees in that instant.

jett

D-Member
Imagine if back in episode 4 we would've been told that Dougie is here to stay.

It was a fine episode, most of these episodes kind of blend together for me in terms quality to be honest.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Yeah that makes sense, he does tend to squeeze his interests in there.

In a completely unrelated note, we still don't know Red's full (or real) name yet so I presume there's something significant about it.

I read the Mother/horn thing a lot, but her's stick upwards so I'm not sure it's the same thing.

I think his name's Sheen. Charlie Sheen.

Futureman

I did not read all the post episode discussion, but how crazy was the first scene of the episode? Mariam still alive. Richard is f-ed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom