• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashby

I feel like Cooper has to lose Janey-E and Sonny Jim. He isn't her husband or his father, he's known them for like a week, and given how fiercely Janey-E stands by Dougie in all his slowness, it seems like she was very much in love with him. It would be really weird if Cooper stuck around with them.

Killing them off would be the easiest way to tie that subplot up.

He might genetically be Sonny Jim's father depending on how the Dopplegangers work.

WriterGK

I'm still of the thought that she is "good" and perhaps she is being manipulated to do what she is doing.

Also since both Cole and Albert know that Diane is likely compromised, I suspect that the coordinates she saw were altered to trap her...we'll see.

Perhaps, its plausible your last sentence, most certainly. The thing is we did indeed never saw Diane before the return. But besides her saying Fuck you Gordon and Fuck you Albert all the time she doesn't look under stress or anything. To me I don't get the impression that she is forced to do anything. And her text messages to evil Coop ofcourse, right?

Ragnarok

I think Janey-E and Sonny Jim are just concoctions of evil coop/black lodge, like Dougie was. Made so that Dougie didn't go getting himself into too much trouble/killing himself before his purpose was expressed.

PolishQ

I don't think anyone's mentioned the scene where Belushi ripped off Knepper's facial wound. Thinking about it now, I suppose it could have been intended as Belushi ripping off his scab, but at first glance it really seemed like he was actually peeling off the injury makeup effect, as if to reveal the superficiality of this television "reality". Almost like Knepper had never actually been injured, in other words. Did anyone else see it this way?

If true, this could be an indication that we're not seeing the "true" reality, similar to early theories that Dougie-Coop was trapped in some sort of dream world. At this point the whole show would need to be inside a dream world for that to make any sense, though. Knowing Lynch, that possibility is always on the table, but...

I don't think anyone's mentioned the scene where Belushi ripped off Knepper's facial wound. Thinking about it now, I suppose it could have been intended as Belushi ripping off his scab, but at first glance it really seemed like he was actually peeling off the injury makeup effect, as if to reveal the superficiality of this television "reality". Almost like Knepper had never actually been injured, in other words. Did anyone else see it this way?

If true, this could be an indication that we're not seeing the "true" reality, similar to early theories that Dougie-Coop was trapped in some sort of dream world. At this point the whole show would need to be inside a dream world for that to make any sense, though. Knowing Lynch, that possibility is always on the table, but...

That possibility went out the window when the hotel key got mailed from Vegas to Twin Peaks. They're in the same reality and timeline.

Slaythe

Expect that's impossible since all the stories are interconnected, like the hotel key, connected to Twin peaks, the assurance company, the brothers, new york, all connected to mister C, himself connected to Diane, thus connected to the FBI etc...

You can't do that.

WriterGK

I never thought about it that way. All I was thinking he was doing everything in his power to make it EXACTLY like what he saw in his dream. But I guess you could be right yeah.

I thought he was ripping off a band-aid.

WriterGK

I am just wondering right now... With Lynch he is really big love for Women and in particular gorgeous/beautiful women would you guys think/say Madgen Amick, Naomi Watts, Amy Shiels, Amanda Seyfried and the rest of them are being equally paid as the male actors or is it just like with every tv show/movie a big salary gap between sexes? For starters Amick and Watts have done almost/as much or more work maybe even then Kyle....

Yeah I thought it was a bandaid.

It's great to see a lot of the Twin Peaks characters come together in this episode with Carl, Shelly, Becky, and Bobby. Makes it feel more like the Twin Peaks most people want it to be.
But then we also get a really creepy scene with Bobby and the traffic jam. Just generally unnerving and Bobby knows some weird shit is going on. And that vomiting kid in the car was just strange.

Twin Peaks the town feel like it's being swallowed up by something. In S1 and S2, the odd residents and antics are passed off as quirky and endearing. But now it feels just plain weird. The honking lady and Jesse asking Sheriff Truman if he wants to see his car can be seen as comedic moments, but I just thought these people are not well and something is influencing the town more so than before. Maybe it's thew new drug that Shelly's boyfriend is peddling. Or maybe the evil in the woods is getting stronger.

g11

I am just wondering right now... With Lynch he is really big love for Women and in particular gorgeous/beautiful women would you guys think/say Madgen Amick, Naomi Watts, Amy Shiels, Amanda Seyfried and the rest of them are being equally paid as the male actors or is it just like with every tv show/movie a big salary gap between sexes? For starters Amick and Watts have done almost/as much or more work maybe even then Kyle....

Someone said earlier that Kyle is the only one getting paid above scale. Not sure how legit that is, but he IS the star and he IS playing two roles, so I buy it.

SEPARATE THOUGHT: Considering how much you guys seem to love Carl, and it seems like a fair few haven't read Secret History of Twin Peaks, there's some interesting back story on him in there. (spoiler tags in case people want to read the book themselves).

- Carl was 'abducted' at the same time and from the same place, near Glastonbury Grove, as Margaret Lanterman, and has the same mark as her.
- Left Twin Peaks after high school to fight in Vietnam.
- He was rescued after an earthquake by a group of Aleuts during his time in Alaska. He lived among them and eventually married an Aleut woman who died in childbirth.
- Worked as a movie stunt man and tracker after wandering for a while after the death of his wife.
- Was known to write and perform music and poetry around the same time.
- Moved to Deer Meadow and opened the original Fat Trout Trailer Park.
- Moved back to Twin Peaks and was oft quoted, enough that the paper started a "Carl Said It" section.
- Wrote a letter to the then Twin Peaks Post alerting them that Listening Post Alpha (LPA) was being constructed on Blue Pine Mountain surreptitiously. LPA was built at the behest of Douglas Milford and under the supervision of Major Briggs and Milford wanted it kept under wraps, ironic since the letter was printed in the paper he owned (while he was out of town). Gordon Cole and the FBI were involved in smoothing over/covering it up, telling Mayor Dwayne Milford that it was part of SDI (The Strategic Defense Initiative, or "Star Wars" program).

WriterGK

Someone said earlier that Kyle is the only one getting paid above scale. Not sure how legit that is, but he IS the star and he IS playing two roles, so I buy it.

Cool. And not the only ones which means atleast Naomi Watts as Janey-E is on that same scale right :)?

Slaythe

Cool. And not the only ones which means atleast Naomi Watts as Janey-E is on that same scale right :)?

She was never part of Twin Peaks.

Reprising a role always gets you more money than getting a first role.

It's preposterous to expect anyone to be paid as much as Kyle, and I don't like how you tried to push the "male female" salary discrepancy by using him, since it's rather obvious nobody would match him, regardless of gender.

It would be more interesting to ask about Dana and Madchen, for instance, that are both returning and have similarly sized roles.

Kyle is putting in fucking WORK this season. Bless him.

Naomi, too. She's just amazing to watch. Amanda Seyfried was brilliant this episode, and I hope there's more of her coming.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They have, but the one in episode 11 felt like a final conversation between Hawk and her.

I fear for Hawk.

Every convo with her has this sense of finality :(. Not even the Albert scenes have that feel to 'em, even though both Catherine Coulson and Miguel Ferrer have since passed on. Must've taken a lot of strength on her part to even record those scenes at all.

gun_haver

Every convo with her has this sense of finality :(. Not even the Albert scenes have that feel to 'em, even though both Catherine Coulson and Miguel Ferrer have since passed on. Must've taken a lot of strength on her part to even record those scenes at all.

Well she was clearly ill while filming, she's even hooked up to something, Miguel looks/sounds fine. I forget he's dead now most of the time. Man. Weird.

Levito

Banned
They keep mentioning Harry and despite me knowing better I keep hoping he's gonna pop up. (The way the log lady mentioned both the Truman brothers)

Same with David Bowie, though that is even more unlikely.

g11

They keep mentioning Harry and despite me knowing better I keep hoping he's gonna pop up. (The way the log lady mentioned both the Truman brothers)

Same with David Bowie, though that is even more unlikely.

I would legitimately pee myself a little with happiness if either Harry or Bowie showed up. If they both did, I might have a cardiac episode on the spot, but at least I'd die happy. Even though Robert Forrester is great, I miss Michael Ontkean. I can't believe he turned Lynch down. I'd love to know why.

Moff

gorgeous episode
ehToSkb.gif

Really curious how Vedder's commissioned "Out of Sand" will play into the show at this point. Could be just another Roadhouse performance but given the lyrics having a strong thematic similarity to Coop's journey I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't unlike Julee Cruise's presence in "Lonely Souls". Great song, melancholic as can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI-Lukyr4UY

Can't climb to heaven on the cross
One liar's promise drained the blood from my heart
Came a message in the dark
Offered the hand of a disembodied man
While I still had the chance

Now it's gone, gone
And I am who I am
Who I was I will never be again
Running out of sand

I stare at my reflection to the bone
Blurred eyes look back at me
Full of blame and sympathy
So, so close
Right roads not taken, the future's forsaken
Dropped like a fossil or stone

Now it's gone, gone
And I am who I am
Who I was I will never come again
Running out of sand

A drunk octopus wants to fight
Fearful of dreams, there'll be no sleep tonight
Fine at dinner, dead by dessert
Victim or witness, we're gonna get hurt
A fragile existence with echoes of wrath
I can't stop the bleeding nor the tears from thine eye
There's another us around somewhere with much better lives
With God as our witness but he won't testify

Oh now it's gone, gone
And I am who I am
Who I was I'll never have the chance
Running out of sand
Running out of sand
Running out of sand

FUCK! I had no idea; that's absolutely heartbreaking. Albert is the GOAT!

gorgeous episode
ehToSkb.gif

YES! This was the shot I was talking about before. It's easily my favorite in the episode, possibly the whole season. Fucking hilarious.

How can this be so good? I just can't wait between episodes and at the same time I'm dreading the fact that there are only seven left.

Episode 11 was just brilliant, weird, beautiful and funny, great acting and awesome music. The final piano piece during the credits was just perfect.

Levito

Banned
I'm sure some of you will agree that seeing the ravages of time on some of the actors is tough to see. Whenever the Log Lady is on screen I legit get sad. Easy to forget I was like 2 years old when this show was cancelled.

I would legitimately pee myself a little with happiness if either Harry or Bowie showed up. If they both did, I might have a cardiac episode on the spot, but at least I'd die happy. Even though Robert Forrester is great, I miss Michael Ontkean. I can't believe he turned Lynch down. I'd love to know why.

He's retired from acting in 2014, I believe.

David Bowie's character is so wrapped up in the plot I have no idea how they're going to handle him in an on screen sense; unless he did in fact make time to make an appearance.

I'm sure some of you will agree that seeing the ravages of time on some of the actors is tough to see. Whenever the Log Lady is on screen I legit get sad. Easy to forget I was like 2 years old when this show was cancelled.

She passed away during production too iirc :/

People weren't sure at the time if they managed to get all the scenes she was supposed to be in either.

Like, I'm pretty sure the nasal cannula she's wearing in those scenes was required and not just a prop. Fuck cancer.

Ah, yep, totally a bandaid. My bad. Still weird that the cut healed so fast, but not weird enough to make me doubt the reality of what we're seeing. Never mind!
It kind of needed to be a minor miracle for the whole dream thing to pan out. I'm pinning it on the lodge protecting Dougie. Step one, heal the cut. Step two, get Dougie to buy a cherry pie.

Because the Mitchum brothers are open minded enough to believe in a prophetic dream, they got 30 million dollars.

Something tells me that if they hadn't been, they'd have had a blood stained check with at least one bullet hole in it. IE a completely worthless blood stained check.

It kind of needed to be a minor miracle for the whole dream thing to pan out. I'm pinning it on the lodge protecting Dougie. Step one, heal the cut. Step two, get Dougie to buy a cherry pie.

Because the Mitchum brothers are open minded enough to believe in a prophetic dream, they got 30 million dollars.

Something tells me that if they hadn't been, they'd have had a blood stained check with at least one bullet hole in it. IE a completely worthless blood stained check.

Technically, Step One would have to be the Lodge/Mike implanting the dream in Jim Belushi, which I am confident that they did.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Technically, Step One would have to be the Lodge/Mike implanting the dream in Jim Belushi, which I am confident that they did.

The reason it had to be Cherry Pie is because this is secretly Jim in According to Jim. The cherry pie reminded him of his old life with his wife Cheryl. Obviously.

Has to get shot in the gut.

But uh, this "can you wait three more hours" theory makes too much sense.

I was all in on the "Let's Rock" episode being the one where Coop comes back but now I'm not sure at all again.

Before Cooper exits the Lodge, he goes near a vault with the #15 on it, before ultimately going into the outlet with #3 on it. He exits Outlet #3 in... Episode 3. It could've been a hint that he would return in Part 15, which would line up with the Mitchum's comment about waiting 3 more hours (Part 12, Part 13, Part 14 then Cooper's return in 15).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom