• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't expect Bobby to be one of my favorite characters in the new season but here we are. Also having read the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer he's made out to be a much more sympathetic character if you understand more of the dynamic between him and Laura. That being said he still shot that dude.

I didn't expect Bobby to be one of my favorite characters in the new season but here we are. Also having read the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer he's made out to be a much more sympathetic character if you understand more of the dynamic between him and Laura. That being said he still shot that dude.

In self-defense.

big ander

I don't mind bobby killing in self-defense in principle. However it's the one piece of fwwm that feels like it undercuts the show. Show bobby was a greasy poser who gradually revealed he had a heart and imagining the guy had recently taken a life is tough

Slaythe

I don't mind bobby killing in self-defense in principle. However it's the one piece of fwwm that feels like it undercuts the show. Show bobby was a greasy poser who gradually revealed he had a heart and imagining the guy had recently taken a life is tough

There's "I ran over a kid" and "I killed an asshole that was about to kill me".

I agree it wasn't necessary at all to add this, but I also don't think it undermines the character.

Yamibito

I agree it wasn't necessary at all to add this, but I also don't think it undermines the character.

Aren't there brief mentions of the killing in the series? Swear someone mentions it at some point.

I think he might have also shot someone in the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer.

Yeah I just checked he did, Nov 12 1987.

Then, it was my turn to send the "Oh, shit" look. When we were halfway down the road, I looked in the rearview mirror and saw someone else in the truck bed with Leo, and Leo was losing something awful. Bobby pulled out his gun and with his free hand, lifted himself out of the side window and told the guy he had two seconds to disappear or die. He had to choose fast. . . .
The guy sat up, and Bobby shot him in the chest at a range of about three, maybe four feet. The speed of the bullet sent the guy flying out of the back of the truck and onto the ground behind us. Bobby screamed at me, "Get the hell outa' here. Drive!"
As soon as we were back on paved roads, Bobby lowered himself into the cab, still holding the gun in his hand as if he were ready to fire.
Bobby was silent the whole way home. Leo sat in back and thanked God for the miracle of prayer. I wondered if there was a lot of blood in the back of the truck, and if the man was dead. . . .

Bobby body count is up to 2.

EDIT: Though I do wonder if this was written before or after FWWM and they decided to shoot that scene with Bobby, they might have both been trying to explain the same S1 reference to Bobby killing a guy.

big ander

For sure, I don't think it completely ruins bobby. It's just a bit dissonant when you're rewatching the start of the show to think about how bobby had recently been horrifyingly staring at brain matter he spattered all over the forest while Laura laughed like a demon.
They do mention it in season 1, hence why they needed to explain it in FWWM.

Huh I can't remember this. And I just rewatched this year! Must've missed it. Who talks with him about it, Mike?

I think he might have also shot someone in the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer.

Yeah I just checked he did, Nov 12 1987.

Bobby body count is up to 2.

First of all, it's debatable if the Secret Diary and the Autobiography of Dale Cooper are 100% canon. They're not written by Mark Frost, and Lynch seems OK with contradicting them.

Second, the person killed in his entry is the same one killed in FWWM, the conditions/scenario are just different. (SLIGHT CORRECTION: They're the same killing, though maybe not the same person. Either way, one killing in total.)

First of all, it's debatable if the Secret Diary and the Autobiography of Dale Cooper are 100% canon. They're not written by Mark Frost, and Lynch seems OK with contradicting them.

Second, the person killed in his entry is the same one killed in FWWM, the conditions/scenario are just different.

Yeah I actually edited my post after because I came to the same conclusion.

I'd be interested to know how much of the diary is considered canon by Lynch since his daughter wrote it.

Zach

Didn't Bobby and Leland kill Laura together? How is that self defense?

giphy.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I still get surprised people never made the connection between Bobby and Mike and BOB and Mike in the original series. When I originally watched Twin Peaks I was confused that there's two pairs of characters named Bob/Mike. It's even stranger since it seems like there's no good reason for it, except maybe to throw people like me off being confused who picked up on it.

g11

How do you mean? Harry points it out in like the second episode and Cooper waives him off and says "Different Mike, different Bob." Granted, you'd think Lynch had a reason for that but maybe he just likes the names.

Dusk Golem

How do you mean? Harry points it out in like the second episode and Cooper waives him off and says "Different Mike, different Bob." Granted, you'd think Lynch had a reason for that but maybe he just likes the names.

Earlier in this thread, like several episodes ago we talked about the BOB & Mike / Bobby & Mike thing, and you'd be surprised how many people commented they had never made that connection until now. XD;

Big One

Banned
Tbh as much as I enjoy this show, I'm really unsure how they're gonna wrap everything up in 7 episodes. There's so much stuff going on. Has Lynch teased a season 4 in any capacity?

Dusk Golem

Tbh as much as I enjoy this show, I'm really unsure how they're gonna wrap everything up in 7 episodes. There's so much stuff going on. Has Lynch teased a season 4 in any capacity?

They have said that the Season 3 finale will be conclusive, both for the season but also for the series in general. This said Lynch has said he'd love to do more with Twin Peaks, he was a bit apprehensive doing the new season beforehand but in Lynch's own words making Season 3 of Twin Peaks was one of the most fun experiences he's ever had. Both him and Kyle have said if they go back to Twin Peaks will be dependent on how the Third Season does, however I will mention I kind of doubt even if they went back it'd be a direct continuation and would probably deal with something else entirely. They've been very clear this whole story was made with a specific beginning, middle, & end in mind.

mittelos

I'd only seen the first episode of The Return as it originally aired as part of the two-part season premiere, but re-watching it as a standalone episode on the Showtime app last night, I really like the "musical/end credits" sequence at the end, was a neat little surprise.
Not really much to it but I'll spoiler tag it just in case, it is
the Giant playing the "sounds" that he and Cooper listened to at beginning of episode.

Levito

Banned
The only reason Bobby killed the guy in FWWM is because the guy was about to kill him and Laura.

Not that it wasn't morally questionable but he did it out of self defence.

The only reason Bobby killed the guy in FWWM is because the guy was about to kill him and Laura.

When someone is trying to kill you, you try and kill them right back.

Words to live by.

big ander

The drug deal gone wrong is a tiny bit more grey than people are making it out to be. Bobby shoots him twice in the body and the guy turns around and falls down (and maybe loses his gun). Then there's a beat, he raises his head and Bobby sort of flinches and fires again, blowing his brains out and killing him.

You can definitely argue that Bobby still had every reason to think he was in mortal danger, and that it happened so fast that that split decision remains self-defense. But it's not clean-cut.

Levito

Banned
Speaking of FWWM, I finally watched The Missing Pieces; very good watch. I'm a little confused why Cooper says "don't take the ring, Laura." Cause it seems like the owlcave ring is the only thing that kept Bob from possessing her.

Also it's a crying shame how much of David Bowie's scenes got cut out in the final cut of the film. He's great.

The drug deal gone wrong is a tiny bit more grey than people are making it out to be. Bobby shoots him twice in the body and the guy turns around and falls down (and maybe loses his gun). Then there's a beat, he raises his head and Bobby sort of flinches and fires again, blowing his brains out and killing him.

You can definitely argue that Bobby still had every reason to think he was in mortal danger, and that it happened so fast that that split decision remains self-defense. But it's not clean-cut.

Exactly, you could argue burying the body was not right ofhim to do too, but again Bobby was a pretty lost kid.

Ashby

Would have been a pretty funny alternate ending if that guy had gotten the drop on Bobby. BOB comes up on Laura's body from the woods like, "Well, shit."

Real Hero

Speaking of FWWM, I finally watched The Missing Pieces; very good watch. I'm a little confused why Cooper says "don't take the ring, Laura." Cause it seems like the owlcave ring is the only thing that kept Bob from possessing her.

Cooper doesn't really understand the lodge, hence him getting fucked up in the finale

PolishQ

He was also under the influence.

Dusk Golem

I mean, Bobby having a twitchy trigger finger makes him a perfect cop.

I hate that this popped into my head right now from this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom