• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maligna

Banned
This series is the only thing I've ever watched that had made me sigh out of frustration. I couldn't help it and it happened at least 3 times, my body had to release stress over things not going anywhere.

This whole series feels like the deleted scenes from the Missing Pieces, except I actually could enjoy those because I knew the narrative of the movie and could insert them into the story in my head.

The original series had bad storylines but at least they weren't this boring. Stuff was happening, even if it wasn't compelling. It wasn't just people staring at each other and endlessly talking about things we have no context for.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
the Dr Amp stuff is going somewhere. There's a reason we keep seeing it. Hell, Jacoby getting his shovels is the first scene in the first episode, aside from the cold open.

I legitmately think Twin Peaks will be invaded by woodsman, Sarah Palmer even in this episode said in the jerkey scene, "there are men that are coming!," among some other stuff. I think maybe the woodsman have some weakness to gold as its been reoccuring this whole season, and we see Nadine bought one of the gold shit-digging shovels she has on display at her silent drapes store. I legitmately think when the woodsman come that Super Nadine is going to bust out her golden shit-digging shovel, find out the woodsman are weak to it, and Dr. Amp is going to lead a revolution to save Twin Peaks as one subplot in the series climax.

For now, that is legitmately what I'm predicting will happen.

I understand why people would be bothered by the Audrey stuff, but I'm surprised that some people were bothered by the Gordon and Albert scene. So hard to form any opinions for me though like I said.

I'm not thinking about how many episodes are left when I watch so it doesn't frustrate me to spend time with Carl Rod (scene was written moments before filming for that old guy Bill who is just a resident at the trailer park). Taking a few minutes to clearly establish Audrey's living situation... I'm not sure why people are freaking out about the time taken to do that.

There is more than enough time for things to wrap up. You could wrap it up in an hour.

I guess it's just a lack of scenes moving Cooper closer back to Twin Peaks but sometimes I feel like I'm one of the few people who want to spend some time with these characters.

The bar discussions I've taken as a look at how messed up the town is. Slice of life sort of stuff.

Again I'm not able to form critical opinions yet because we were near the back so couldn't appreciate the visuals as much as I'd like and we lost a lot of dialogue to laughing or cheering. It was a great experience... but yeah I knew right away I couldn't really appreciate (or not) the episode.

Now I just need to figure out when and how to rewatch it. Our accommodation has shit cell and Wi-Fi signals.

Seriously! I can't wait to go through the whole thing (including FWWM & Missing Pieces) with the context of this new season.

I rewatched Episode 29 just recently, I think some people might be surprised to find some of the "Lynch-isms" that people are complaining at the moment are quite prominent in that legendary 50 minutes of TV... the scene were Andy is going on to Harry about breakfast, or having to watch that old guy in the bank shuffle across the room when obviously more important things are happening. The Lodge part that everyone remembers it for is actually pretty brief.

"King Arthur is buried in England! Last I heard anyway..."

I remember saying earlier this season, that the lore developments, and overall increase in scope make the original series feel much more momentous to me, which I still agree with.

I just watched this video essay, that has some really interesting visual editing, combining this seasons footage with the original run, and seeing that combination is pretty exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGwDIFDWZTI

I legitmately think Twin Peaks will be invaded by woodsman, Sarah Palmer even in this episode said in the jerkey scene, "there are men that are coming!," among some other stuff. I think maybe the woodsman have some weakness to gold as its been reoccuring this whole season, and we see Nadine bought one of the gold shit-digging shovels she has on display at her silent drapes store. I legitmately think when the woodsman come that Super Nadine is going to bust out her golden shit-digging shovel, find out the woodsman are weak to it, and Dr. Amp is going to lead a revolution to save Twin Peaks as one subplot in the series climax.

Good point about the gold shovels. Really excited to see how this all plays out.

Levito

Banned
There really seems to be a motif this season about patience, I don't quite know what it is yet but there are signs of it everywhere. The scene last night with the french lady and forcing the audience to just watch her leave, infamous Roadhouse broom sweeping scene, and then the scene last week with the lady in her car furious how long everything was taking.

Also everyone in actually living in Twin Peaks seems to be having a shitty life. It's not the idealistic town Cooper loved, even yesterday's episode had that fellow that sold blood to get money.

I'm not sure where this is all going but I can't help me notice this stuff is reoccurring.

Dusk Golem

There really seems to be a motif this season about patience, I don't quite know what it is yet but there are signs of it everywhere. The scene last night with the french lady and forcing the audience to just watch her leave. Then the scene last week with the lady in her car furious how long everything was taking.

Also everyone in actually living in Twin Peaks seems to be having a shitty life. It's not the idealistic town Cooper loved, even yesterday's episode had that fellow that sold blood to get money.

I'm not sure where this is all going but I can't help me notice this stuff is reoccurring.

The scene teasing patience that made me laugh the most was in Part 5/6, when Dougie is blocking everyone in the elevator. The comments they say to him are so onviously a meta joke I just find it hilarious. "Come on, Dougie!", "Move along, Dougie!", etc. The outrage of the people in the elevator being impatient with Dougie is hilarious to me.

Dusk Golem

Also, do we have any prediction where the fuck Jerry being lost in the woods is going to lead to? There is a brief scene with Jerry every episode to remind us he's still lost in nature. This episode he found a field and seemed close to the peaks at least. I figure there's a reason we're reminded once an episode briefly, "Yup, Jerry Horne is still lost in the woods."

I also am still uncertain if I think Jerry hearing his foot talk was him on drugs or something more. Though the way the foot refered to itself as a foot did remind me of the arm referring to itself as the arm in the black lodge.

Corpsepyre

Banned
F6SpbC7.gif

I didn't hate Ep. 12, but man, it sure felt like Frost & Lynch wanted me to.

As everyone else already said, Team Blue Rose 2.0, good not great (I'll come back to that). Sarah Palmer in the convenience store was great. Hawk following up with her was great. Ben Horne and Frank Truman was mostly great (Robert Forster saying "I'm sorry" three different times/ways came off needlessly banal IMO). The Redneck Assassin Squad was fine. That at least moved the plot along. Even the Audrey scene was mostly fine for me. They really hammed it up considering the limited entertainment value and very limited info we learned, but what the hell, I can live with it. I figure it's Frost & Lynch foreshadowing things again. That much is pretty clear with 'Billy' now referenced twice before we actually see him.

The one that really tried my patience was Gordon and his French lady friend. If you stretch the definition, I suppose it's reminiscent of the Lil scene in FWWM, but whereas that served a roundabout purpose, I felt like this served no purpose. Maybe I'll feel different if/when they explain the 'code' this time, but especially with Albert's reaction, it makes Gordon Cole feel like some lascivious old bastard who'd rather play with boobies and a decoder ring than find out what happened to two, possibly three of his friends and fellow agents who disappeared 25 years ago. Why are they sitting around in a hotel in South Dakota for days on end? Why wouldn't you head for the coordinates ASAP? Why wouldn't you be investigating the wedding ring found in Major Briggs' stomach?

Additionally, going back to the scene where they added Tammy to the team, Albert clearly said Jefferies was chosen to lead the Blue Rose group and then he handpicked Chet Desmond, Albert and Cooper for the team, which directly contradicts the scene in FWWM in which Gordon tells Cooper "Coop, meet the long lost Philip Jefferies". I mean, you've had 25 years to bottle those ends and that's the best you can manage? Sloppy IMO. I bet the retcon is something along the lines of Jefferies picked the team and then disappeared while on his assignment before meeting them, even though there's a picture of them all together in The Missing Pieces. Whatever.

The Bang Bang Bar scene was actually fine IMO. As others pointed out, the guy almost being run off the road could point to the fact that Doop is back in town. In fact, that was my first thought when you heard the obvious sounds of someone else in Sarah Palmer's house. In the show, she seemed very fond of Cooper after he offered to drive her to the funeral for Leland and calmed her. I can absolutely buy that if he showed up back in town and said he needed her help, she would help him, and with BOB 'removed' from Doop, she probably wouldn't detect that it's not real Cooper, especially in her state.

Weakest episode of the season for me, but I didn't actively hate it. Then again, I try to never listen to Twitter hype. Everything on Twitter is either the greatest thing ever or the worst in all of recorded history. Whether or not it was a troll or Lynch played with the episode order is irrelevant to me in that regard. Didn't plagiarize say Ep. 12 was screened at TP Fest? Maybe he can clear that part up anyway.

At the very least, this episode either has so much to unpack that we don't even know it yet, or so little that I guess it'll almost be like another week off from the show.

Wait a second...if BOB is removed from Doop, what does that make him then?

Now that it has been predicted it won't happen. Which is a shame because I love this idea so much.

But yeah I do think the woodsmen descending on Dr Amp would make sense.

Slaythe

Oh my god, bad Cooper is NOT Bob, and never was.

The fact that Bob was inside doesn't make him Bob, they are two distinct entities.

So bad Coop without BOB is, against all odds, bad Coop.

Addi

I know I was pretty tired watching this episode, but that really was the first episode of this seasons I hated. Could have skipped it and not missed much.

I feel like with the name dropping of Project Blue Book we are getting really close to the Secret History of Twin Peaks stuff but Tammy still feels like a completely different person from that to this

Blader

There really seems to be a motif this season about patience, I don't quite know what it is yet but there are signs of it everywhere. The scene last night with the french lady and forcing the audience to just watch her leave, infamous Roadhouse broom sweeping scene, and then the scene last week with the lady in her car furious how long everything was taking.

well, the biggest occurrence of patience would probably be Cooper having to sit in the Red Room for 25 years. :p

ActWan

The part with Audrey was kinda boring, yeah...but it was a great episode besides that. The beginning and the stuff with Sarah are amazing.
I loved how Lynch subverted everyones expectations with this one...the hype was insane.

Blader

Why exactly was everyone was so hyped for this episode? I know Kyle tweeted about Candie, but I don't know how that's supposed to portend a gamechanger episode lol

Levito

Banned
God it's kinda hilarious that the episode with the least amount of Dougie and the most amount of old cast members+actually taking place in Twin Peaks is the most disliked episode.

Why exactly was everyone was so hyped for this episode? I know Kyle tweeted about Candie, but I don't know how that's supposed to portend a gamechanger episode lol

It honestly mostly comes out to the title "Let's Rock", everyone assumed this would be the episode where the plot really moves forward and we were moving on from Dougie.

Make no mistake, I don't think that was a particularly good episode but a large part of the disappointment was this hype.

cucuchu

So to everyone predicting that the woodsmen are somehow weak to gold and the gold shit-digging shovels will counter them.... Are they weak to actual gold or metallic spray paint with white, black and yellow pigmentation mixed in to appear gold? Because that's what the shovels are covered in.

Levito

Banned
I severely doubt there's going to be a literal battle with Woodsmen in Twin Peaks but the idea of Super Nadine saving the day with a gold shovel is actually awesome.

*Evil Coop holding Dougie by the scuff of the neck*

Evil Coop: "And now, Agent Cooper.... you will die."

*Cocks gun*

Evil Coop: "...And it'll be a DAMN FINE DEATH MUAHAHAHA"

*Suddenly from behind Nadine grabs Evil Coop and throws him 30 feet*

gabbo

It honestly mostly comes out to the title "Let's Rock", everyone assumed this would be the episode where the plot really moves forward and we were moving on from Dougie.

Make no mistake, I don't think that was a particularly good episode but a large part of the disappointment was this hype.
I think this was it. That's a clear reference to Desmond's car and less Diane, and people fell all over themselves assuming it was going to go somewhere. So unless Diane is responsible for Agent Desmond disappearing 25+ years ago, it's as much our fault as theirs for trying to connect dots we shouldnt have.

Wasn't the best episode, but clearly not as bad as some are saying. Audrey was the low point for me, because just seemed like a way to shoehorn her in, and like she doesnt have much to do with it anymore. Unless Evil Coop is Richards dad

traveler

Not Wario
I may be super behind on this, but I rewatched the first five episodes last night and realized that whoever Jefferies is knew about Dougie and was actually the one trying to assassinate him through Lorraine prior to the Black Lodge event to ensure Doop got pulled in. Is this the common theory and I'm just super behind?

Airola

I think this wouldn't have been a disappointment had the Jacoby, Audrey and the ending scenes were different or something completely else even if it still wouldn't have brought Cooper forwards or given any episode 8 bombdrops.

People who hate the episode seem to have liked at least some of the first half of the episode.

It's just that bad scenes leave a bad taste especially if the last half is filled with the bad scenes. It just isn't a good way to make television to leave boring parts to be the last things people remember from the episode. It was a big mistake to make scenes like that and then in the editing room make them happen next to each other and close the episode with them.

Had they not done that I think this episode would've been received much better even if it wouldn't have lived up to the hype.

The thing just is that there was some bad writing, directing and editing in this episode. Nothing more, nothing less.

gabbo

I may be super behind on this, but I rewatched the first five episodes last night and realized that whoever Jefferies is knew about Dougie and was actually the one trying to assassinate him through Lorraine prior to the Black Lodge event to ensure Doop got pulled in. Is this the common theory and I'm just super behind?
Unless it's evil Jeffries, why would he want Cooper killed? And if it was Evil Jefferies, wouldnt he want Evil Coop on his side since theyd both be out?

g11

Wait a second...if BOB is removed from Doop, what does that make him then?

Still just a doppelgänger. He's a minion of BOB's. He's the Yin to Cooper's Yang. Evil versus good.

The question I've been kind of wondering for a while now is why BOB was with Mr. C for, presumably, the last 25 years instead of finding a human host of his own? I guess Black Lodge Secondary School didn't include classes on division of labor. Maybe Frank Silva's passing played a role in that, although they could have easily worked around it. In fact, right up until the point where the Woodsmen absconded with the BOB orb, I assumed that's what the whole "two birds one stone" line from the Giant was about. We know that when BOB's human host (Leland) died, BOB just floated off no problem so maybe the only way to truly banish him would be kill a doppelgänger that he's inhabiting, as I assume they go back to the Black Lodge or at least the Red Room when killed.

Side note: Besides seemingly being there to help guide Dougie along, is there any reason we haven't seen MIKE/Gerard outside of the Lodge/Red Room? I can't think of any reason why he'd be stuck there. Oh and I guess I never thought about it before, but it's weird that MIKE looks like Phillip Gerard (or vice versa) while BOB is distinctly BOB every time. What up wit dat?

This series is the only thing I've ever watched that had made me sigh out of frustration. I couldn't help it and it happened at least 3 times, my body had to release stress over things not going anywhere.

This whole series feels like the deleted scenes from the Missing Pieces, except I actually could enjoy those because I knew the narrative of the movie and could insert them into the story in my head.

The original series had bad storylines but at least they weren't this boring. Stuff was happening, even if it wasn't compelling. It wasn't just people staring at each other and endlessly talking about things we have no context for.

I gave up already but I felt the same watching the first 5 episodes then again my favorite season was season 2 and I thought FWWM movie was terrible. Seems the things I loved about the show since it aired back then including my family and friends are things most people hate at least online lol

Like a massive disconnect. But I can see the appeal and why also some who don't like it sticks with it just to see what will happen and how it ends. It is for sure a spectacle but I didn't have it in me to keep watching.

Still enjoy hearing things about the show especially crazy stuff that takes place all out of context for me. I would enjoy a YouTube upload in the future with the most weird scenes in a single video and a short recap.

Also, do we have any prediction where the fuck Jerry being lost in the woods is going to lead to? There is a brief scene with Jerry every episode to remind us he's still lost in nature. This episode he found a field and seemed close to the peaks at least. I figure there's a reason we're reminded once an episode briefly, "Yup, Jerry Horne is still lost in the woods."

I also am still uncertain if I think Jerry hearing his foot talk was him on drugs or something more. Though the way the foot refered to itself as a foot did remind me of the arm referring to itself as the arm in the black lodge.

I figure Hawk, Bobby, and Frank will find him in the woods as things are about to pop off.

Airola

I think this was it. That's a clear reference to Desmond's car and less Diane, and people fell all over themselves assuming it was going to go somewhere. So unless Diane is responsible for Agent Desmond disappearing 25+ years ago, it's as much our fault as theirs for trying to connect dots we shouldnt have.

I think the car secondary what comes to what Let's Rock references.
Let's Rock is infinitely more recognizable as the first words the LMFAP said in the original series.

traveler

Not Wario
Unless it's evil Jeffries, why would he want Cooper killed? And if it was Evil Jefferies, wouldnt he want Evil Coop on his side since theyd both be out?

He specifically wanted Dougie, not Cooper or Dooper, killed to ensure Doop returned to the Black Lodge and Bob free'd up to join another host.

The reasons I think this:
-Lorraine is very insistent on having Dougie killed "in time" and is clearly distraught when she discovers that he's still alive past the day of the Black Lodge "retrieval".
-Jeffries tells Doop he'll be returning to the Lodge with confidence. (Granted, it's possible he didn't know about Dougie, but given how familiar the two seem and Philip's FBI skills, I'm assuming he did)
-Lorraine sends a distress signal to Buenos Aires when Dougie isn't killed in time. Again, they could still kill Dougie, but so much attention is paid to having it done in time that it seems connected with the Lodge event on rewatch. BA was most prominently associated with Jeffries prior to this scene.
-Who else would be after Dougie at this time? We know from later events his creditors intend to at least ask for money before harming him and they don't seem concerned or changed at all by the fact Dougie has survived multiple assassination attempts. The Mitchum Bros and their connections don't decide to kill him till later. Duncan Todd, if he's working for Doop, wouldn't want Dougie killed prior to the Lodge event. The only person that makes sense is Jeffries. (Which, in turn, may imply something about the menacing man Todd is indebted to- many have assumed this is Doop, but I think this potentially hints at it being Jeffries)

HotHamBoy

So to everyone predicting that the woodsmen are somehow weak to gold and the gold shit-digging shovels will counter them.... Are they weak to actual gold or metallic spray paint with white, black and yellow pigmentation mixed in to appear gold? Because that's what the shovels are covered in.

Lol

rackham

Banned
I was kind of disappointed by Audrey's character. Her husband seemed like a pretty nice dude to be talked to so badly. I get that Audrey doesn't love him but she married the guy and he doesn't seem abusive so it just makes her look bad.

She was never a selfish person in the first season. She was just a day dreamer. Her theme song was awesome because of her outlandishness. That's kind of been taken over by Candie but Candie is an airhead, whereas Audrey seemed to be intelligent even during Season 1.

I have a feeling the ending will be very disappointing of this series will be massively disappointing. The highs are pretty great but they won't make up for an unsatisfying conclusion to all these plot threads.

HotHamBoy

I feel like with the name dropping of Project Blue Book we are getting really close to the Secret History of Twin Peaks stuff but Tammy still feels like a completely different person from that to this

Her performance is a travesty.

I listened to the audiobook of Secret History and that woman's performance as Tammy set me up for a much better character.

Probably has to do with the drug plotline.

Yuck, why even watch art if it has to 100% cater to you? Art is about someone else's point of view, not yours. The beauty is finding art you find agreeable, not forcing it to be in line with you. Also, how disrespectful to the artist. You will only find art you like if you let artists create things they want to create. Just stop watching the thing. It're really not hard. I guarantee you will find something else you like elsewhere.

I really, really hate the talk of "this thing is too long and goes nowhere and should be cut to be much shorter". This isn't criticism. It's dull nonsense. Even moreso when we haven't seen the whole thing. It seems whenever someone wants to cut a film or show to make it shorter, it's strictly about plot. "This plot could have been told quicker". Yea, of course, there is nothing enlightening about that idea. You could also read a summary of narrative art and get the plot really quick that way. It's not all about the plot. And certainly not with Lynch. For decades Lynch as indulged slow, deliberate scenes. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But they have always been his style. That isn't going to change. He loves to subvert expectations, (call it trolling if you want, but there is a difference between that and subversion) And suggesting a shortened version would make all of that very not David Lynch.

Yea, I thought Part 12 was kind of boring and is easily my least favorite part, but it very clearly was setting up a lot of things. Audrey's plotline is just starting. There will clearly be more from her. Maybe not a lot, but considering what that scene was about, and how it was connecting to an earlier plotline, there is more to it. It's also intriguing that Richard was not mentioned, even though Audrey lives in or near Twin Peaks. That raises a lot of questions.

We learned more about the Blue Rose program and the addition of Tammy and Diane will have bigger implications. Not to mention Diane now knows the coordinates to Twin Peaks. Will she give that to Mr C. Also how soon will the FBI make it over there? And Diane knows about Las Vegas. Which means so does the FBI. The plotlines are a little more tied together.

We also know Miriam is receiving care at the Hospital and Ben knows about Richard. Frank also has Cooper's old key and he's going to tell Harry about it. That could lead to a few things.

Sarah Palmer seems to be receiving otherworldly transmissions still. "Men are coming" will have a payoff.

I would have enjoyed a faster pace, like Part 12 which had perfect pacing to me, but this was only 1 of 18 parts. I'm not going to freakout about it. Just be disappointed for a week, and probably feel fine with this Part on a binge watch.
This pedantic and condescending post brought to you by someone who forgot they shot a continuous script in the first place and a supercut movie version of season 3 would actually more closely resemble the original vision than the "and now a musical interlude" broken up version that injected requisite credit sequences.

stuminus3

Not Cooper - Dougie. The original Dougie. If OG Dougie wasn't there, Doop would have been pulled in when Coop got out.

The question I've been kind of wondering for a while now is why BOB was with Mr. C for, presumably, the last 25 years instead of finding a human host of his own?
The doppleganger isn't human. BOB (or the Lodge?) seems to create it from the soul of Wyndom Earle in S2. There's probably advantages in that. Like apparently coming back from the dead in Ep 8. Plus I'm sure it's been more helpful pretending to be Dale Cooper and not some other random shmoe? I dunno. The doppleganger stuff is fascinating to me, it's such a huge part of the mythos but very little time is spent on defining it.

Side note: Besides seemingly being there to help guide Dougie along, is there any reason we haven't seen MIKE/Gerard outside of the Lodge/Red Room? I can't think of any reason why he'd be stuck there. Oh and I guess I never thought about it before, but it's weird that MIKE looks like Phillip Gerard (or vice versa) while BOB is distinctly BOB every time. What up wit dat?
The end credits in S3 specifically credit Al Strobel to "Phillip Gerard", no mention at all of MIKE. I thought that was interesting.

bounchfx

saw this last night after hearing how it was a disappointment to many people.

for the first half of the episode, I thought it was fine, but once I realized the 'long scenes' were pretty much the entire episode, I understood the issue people had

that being said, the scene with albert waiting for the french lady to leave was fucking hilarious. there were so many moments that made you think 'ok, she's finally gonna leave', only to have her move on to another mundane task or distraction. I was kind of amazed how drawn out they managed to make it, and how happy lynch was to watch her prepare her exit. I was impatient at first, but once I realized what was going on I was dyin'. great scene, really tried alberts patience to the maximum. that being said, his entire mood and demeanor to me really showed how dismayed he was about the texts he saw on the phone. definitely something going on and now they are aware of it.

PolishQ

I think the car secondary what comes to what Let's Rock references.
Let's Rock is infinitely more recognizable as the first words the LMFAP said in the original series.

Diane entering through the red curtains seemed like a deliberate callback to that Red Room scene, too. With the Lodge's power to see beyond time, could the LMFAP have learned the phrase from Diane?

g11

The doppleganger isn't human. BOB (or the Lodge?) seems to create it from the soul of Wyndom Earle in S2. There's probably advantages in that. Like apparently coming back from the dead in Ep 8. Plus I'm sure it's been more helpful pretending to be Dale Cooper and not some other random shmoe? I dunno. The doppleganger stuff is fascinating to me, it's such a huge part of the mythos but very little time is spent on defining it.

Yeah I know. I was saying I don't really get why BOB wasn't out finding another human host like Leland instead of inhabiting a doppelgänger this whole time. That way he could be out there doing stuff while Mr. C was doing other stuff. The only answer I can figure is that BOB and MIKE can only take over their hosts for small periods of time and not indefinitely. If that's the case, staying close to Mr. C makes sense in that he (Mr. C) can carry out BOB's wishes even when BOB is 'dormant'.

Interesting note about the credits. I hadn't noticed that. Wonder if that means it's Gerard helping Dougie/Cooper and maybe MIKE is out there inhabiting Jefferies or whoever Mr. C was talking to that he thought was Jefferies in Ep 2. Still curious why Gerard and MIKE look the same.

Necron

I assume the doctors would have delivered the baby in a c-section.

If we line up Doc Hayward's remark about thinking Cooper might have visited Audrey in the hospital with Ben's line about Richard never having a father and being wrong from the beginning, maybe Coop's doppelganger really did rape and impregnate Audrey in the hospital? Being the son of the doppelganger/BOB would certainly explain why Richard is such a fundamentally despicable person (and his first scene at the Roadhouse really did feel very BOB-ish to me at the time).

Makes all too much sense not to be true... and yet I feel that it'll be different.

I think I've never watched something so meta, weird and confusing. Every episode has left me guessing and dazzed, researching on the internet how it all fits together. I'm calling it now: there won't be a wrapping up, so to speak; we'll be left with many questions at the end of this.

Blader

This pedantic and condescending post brought to you by someone who forgot they shot a continuous script in the first place and a supercut movie version of season 3 would actually more closely resemble the original vision than the "and now a musical interlude" broken up version that injected requisite credit sequences.

Frankly, I think more TV shows should end their episodes with concerts-over-credits-sequences.

stuminus3

Yeah I know. I was saying I don't really get why BOB wasn't out finding another human host like Leland instead of inhabiting a doppelgänger this whole time. That way he could be out there doing stuff while Mr. C was other stuff.
Oh I see. I'm still getting my head around the doppleganger having its own motivations in the first place, it was semantics all these years on what it actually was because for all intents and purposes it was just BOB. Clearly now Mr C is his own thing, but why? It didn't appear until literally the last few minutes of the original show. Maybe it's the Wyndom Earle connection, there are parallels what with all the scheming and the murdering and the ruining Dale Cooper's life.

I'm calling it now: there won't be a wrapping up, so to speak; we'll be left with many questions at the end of this.
That's not such a big deal IMO considering what we were left with prior to this season existing. The original Twin Peaks was built out of red herrings (which it all seems so pointless for a stretch after the Leyland reveal), if anything The Return seems to actually be making something more of some of these characters other than existing to keep the audience guessing.

Oh I see. I'm still getting my head around the doppleganger having its own motivations in the first place, it was semantics all these years on what it actually was because for all intents and purposes it was just BOB. Clearly now Mr C is his own thing, but why? It didn't appear until literally the last few minutes of the original show. Maybe it's the Wyndom Earle connection, there are parallels what with all the scheming and the murdering and the ruining Dale Cooper's life.

Mr C doesn't need anything. He wants.

There's the concept of everyone having their shadow self. Coop's was lucky enough to escape with BOB's help, meaning he gets what he wants while Bob gets to hoover up some sweet Garmanbozia. I'm not convinced the Woodsmen took Bob away at this stage.

Rootbeer

Banned
I felt like I was watching S02 again while watching Ep 12. Not the good parts of S02, either.

Okay, it's a bit of an exaggeration. There were some nice character moments. But man...

stuminus3

Mr C doesn't need anything. He wants.
Haha, touché.

Audrey theory: Charlie isn't her husband, she's her doctor. He wasn't really talking to anyone on the phone, just playing along with her delusions. Billy being mentioned by other characters in a different scene probably kills that theory but there was something off about that whole scene and the fact that nobody is talking to Audrey about Richard. I don't think it was a coma dream.

PolishQ

Haha, touché.

Audrey theory: Charlie isn't her husband, she's her doctor. He wasn't really talking to anyone on the phone, just playing along with her delusions. Billy being mentioned by other characters in a different scene probably kills that theory but there was something off about that whole scene and the fact that nobody is talking to Audrey about Richard. I don't think it was a coma dream.

Or Richard isn't her son. He could still be Donna's son, which would be an interesting continuation of that whole secret parentage S2 plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom