• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or Richard isn't her son. He could still be Donna's son, which would be an interesting continuation of that whole secret parentage S2 plot.

I'm convinced Richard isn't Audrey's, because all of the signs are pointing so hard at the fact. We got Richard's surname in the credits immediately after we met him, we got the creepy Doc Haward story, we know Ben is the Grandparent and he grew up with no father.

Audrey and Mr C being Richard's parent isn't much of a 'reveal' at this juncture, so why all of the weirdness about being direct with it?

The other possibility is the question is never answered directly.

Maybe Johnny and Doc Jacoby's Hawaiian mrs got it on. /s

A-V-B

I can't help but wonder if people should just stop expecting the usual things to happen. Almost like... it's a mood poem and Lynch will do whatever the fuck he wants. Introduce intrigue and mystery, that's fine, but it's just to evoke certain emotions. There's no actual drive to solve or reveal anything as if there's a social contract. If the last two episodes are just people mucking around with long shots of electrical devices and Dougie still mimicking other people while shuffling off into the sunset, that'd be totally within (the new range of) expectations here.

sappyday

Even though this was my least favorite and the only one that I might potentially skip on a rewatch of the whole series, I'm still super excited about future episodes. I've said it before but the unpredictability is the best part. Next episode could be the best one just like how episode 7 was sort of weak too but then episode 8 came and blew my mind

Moff

goddamn after tha Audrey scene and her husband refused to tell her (us!) what the call was about and that cut to the bar, I was so sure that we would get 10 straight minutes of a dude vacuuming the hotel floor, I was just done that moment

I'm convinced Richard isn't Audrey's, because all of the signs are pointing so hard at the fact. We got Richard's surname in the credits immediately after we met him, we got the creepy Doc Haward story, we know Ben is the Grandparent and he grew up with no father.

Audrey and Mr C being Richard's parent isn't much of a 'reveal' at this juncture, so why all of the weirdness about being direct with it?

Richard calls Audrey's mother, Grandma.

With that said, guessing the twist/plot of something doesn't make it a "bad" reveal. People got all bent outta shape with Westworld for this reason, and it's led to this potentially disastrous result where the writers are trying to make things un-guessable now.

She isn't, and Richard is, without a doubt, Audrey's son.

I think that the audience getting slapped around the face with hints for hours of episodes, but still not directly referencing Richard's parentage plants enough doubt.

Maybe it's Lynchian reverse psychology.

Richard calls Audrey's mother, Grandma.

With that said, guessing the twist/plot of something doesn't make it a "bad" reveal. People got all bent outta shape with Westworld for this reason, and it's led to this potentially disastrous result where the writers are trying to make things un-guessable now.

I did not know that. Wow.

Honestly though, I think Lynch is letting the concept of Richard being the son of Audrey and Mr C brew in the audience's mind - a cruel fate for a beloved character - before pulling out a plot subversion™️

I also like the idea that Mr C isn't anything to do with Richard - that he's just a nasty little shit and it has nothing to do with any supernatural forces.

g11

He specifically wanted Dougie, not Cooper or Dooper, killed to ensure Doop returned to the Black Lodge and Bob free'd up to join another host.

The reasons I think this:
-Lorraine is very insistent on having Dougie killed "in time" and is clearly distraught when she discovers that he's still alive past the day of the Black Lodge "retrieval".
-Jeffries tells Doop he'll be returning to the Lodge with confidence. (Granted, it's possible he didn't know about Dougie, but given how familiar the two seem and Philip's FBI skills, I'm assuming he did)
-Lorraine sends a distress signal to Buenos Aires when Dougie isn't killed in time. Again, they could still kill Dougie, but so much attention is paid to having it done in time that it seems connected with the Lodge event on rewatch. BA was most prominently associated with Jeffries prior to this scene.
-Who else would be after Dougie at this time? We know from later events his creditors intend to at least ask for money before harming him and they don't seem concerned or changed at all by the fact Dougie has survived multiple assassination attempts. The Mitchum Bros and their connections don't decide to kill him till later. Duncan Todd, if he's working for Doop, wouldn't want Dougie killed prior to the Lodge event. The only person that makes sense is Jeffries. (Which, in turn, may imply something about the menacing man Todd is indebted to- many have assumed this is Doop, but I think this potentially hints at it being Jeffries)

That absolutely makes sense. I guess I always just assumed Dougie had people out for him because he was a shitty person, not because he's...whatever he was. Manufactured by Mr. C. But that totally makes sense and seems pretty airtight. I can't remember the chronology anymore but if feels like Mr. C puts the hit out on Dougie and Lorraine after the call from "Jefferies". The only question left is how would Mr. C know to go target Lorraine that quickly. From what I remember, Duncan Todd gets the red square notification, pulls a file out of his safe with a black dot on it, and next time we see that file, it's being slipped under Ike the Spike's door with Lorraine and Dougie's picture.

Another stray observation: When we see Lorraine send a text that seemingly goes to the black box in Buenos Aires, she texts "2" to it and it beeps and flashes twice. When Mr. C places a call from the prison and says "the cow jumped over the moon", next thing we see is the black box again, 2 beeps and flashes and then it transforms into...something. In Episode 12, people were trying to figure out what Diane's "Coordinates plus 2" meant. Maybe she was trying to send a message to that black box as well?

I think that the audience getting slapped around the face with hints for hours of episodes, but still not directly referencing Richard's parentage plants enough doubt.

Maybe it's Lynchian reverse psychology.

I did not know that. Wow.

Honestly though, I think Lynch is letting the concept of Richard being the son of Audrey and Mr C brew in the audience's mind - a cruel fate for a beloved character - before pulling out a plot subversion™️

Yeah, I'm of the mindset that Mr. C being Richard's dad is the intended "twist" here, not Audrey being the mother. For that, we've only gotten the brief clue that Mr. C visited Audrey in the hospital and Ben saying the kid was always wrong.

Yeah exactly. For example with Game Of Thrones there was a really popular fan theory(Jon Snow's parents, appropriately enough) that was around for like DECADES and it turned out to be true.

Exactly.

If the audience can reasonably figure out how the writer's puzzle is made by combing over planted clues, that simply means the puzzle was constructed logically and with intent. The inverse of this was Lost where the writers had no end-goal in mind, and thus, the puzzle was unsolvable by anyone... even them. It was twist for twist's sake from almost start to finish.

He specifically wanted Dougie, not Cooper or Dooper, killed to ensure Doop returned to the Black Lodge and Bob free'd up to join another host.

The reasons I think this:
-Lorraine is very insistent on having Dougie killed "in time" and is clearly distraught when she discovers that he's still alive past the day of the Black Lodge "retrieval".
-Jeffries tells Doop he'll be returning to the Lodge with confidence. (Granted, it's possible he didn't know about Dougie, but given how familiar the two seem and Philip's FBI skills, I'm assuming he did)
-Lorraine sends a distress signal to Buenos Aires when Dougie isn't killed in time. Again, they could still kill Dougie, but so much attention is paid to having it done in time that it seems connected with the Lodge event on rewatch. BA was most prominently associated with Jeffries prior to this scene.
-Who else would be after Dougie at this time? We know from later events his creditors intend to at least ask for money before harming him and they don't seem concerned or changed at all by the fact Dougie has survived multiple assassination attempts. The Mitchum Bros and their connections don't decide to kill him till later. Duncan Todd, if he's working for Doop, wouldn't want Dougie killed prior to the Lodge event. The only person that makes sense is Jeffries. (Which, in turn, may imply something about the menacing man Todd is indebted to- many have assumed this is Doop, but I think this potentially hints at it being Jeffries)

The only problem I have with this idea is it isn't Jeffries, but a mystery character on the end of the phone. Bowie was blessed with a distinctive voice and that was not him on the phone - Mr C even suspected as much.

...and there's another untied thread to add to the list.

traveler

Not Wario
The only problem I have with this idea is it isn't Jeffries, but a mystery character on the end of the phone. Bowie was blessed with a distinctive voice and that was not him on the phone - Mr C even suspected as much.

...and there's another untied thread to add to the list.

Yeah, it's whoever is on the other end. I'm not sure that is Jeffries, but I do think "Jeffries", whoever that is, was behind it. Some have floated the idea that it's the actual Philip Jeffries possessed by Mike, who no longer seems to inhabit Philip Gerard. It would also explain the "again" part of being with Bob.

Yeah, it's whoever is on the other end. I'm not sure that is Jeffries, but I do think "Jeffries", whoever that is, was behind it. Some have floated the idea that it's the actual Philip Jeffries possessed by Mike, who no longer seems to inhabit Philip Gerard. It would also explain the "again" part of being with Bob.

That's interesting, because Al Strobel is credited as playing Gerard in the credits and not MIKE.

traveler

Not Wario
I think we're getting Coop back, but The Return part of the title is very significant whereas it seemed innocuous enough on initial announcement. The season is the story of Cooper's journey back to Twin Peaks and his normal self, so, like seeing Cooper in Twin Peaks, I expect it will happen either right before the finale (last 2 episodes) or during the finale.

hydruxo

I think we're getting Coop back, but The Return part of the title is very significant whereas it seemed innocuous enough on initial announcement. The season is the story of Cooper's journey back to Twin Peaks and his normal self, so, like seeing Cooper in Twin Peaks, I expect it will happen either right before the finale (last 2 episodes) or during the finale.

Yeah for the first half of this season, I held onto the glimmer of hope that he'd come back fairly early on. Now I'm convinced that he'll come back in the beginning of the first hour of the finale, and we'll have two hours of Cooper in Twin Peaks.

Ashby

Lynch didn't bring back Coop early in the season because he didn't want to make Blast from the Past with Coop in the role of Brendan Fraser

Frankly, I think more TV shows should end their episodes with concerts-over-credits-sequences.
That would be rad! And it's a decent workaround for trying to turn Lynch's 17-hour movie into discrete episodes. But I'd also like to see a continuous-run version that just stuck to the story and had the intros/outros clipped out.

What's the point of all those scenes in the roadhouse where people we have never seen before talk about people we have never heard of before? Like the last scene of the last episode

What's the point of all those scenes in the roadhouse where people we have never seen before talk about people we have never heard of before? Like the last scene of the last episode

I liked these (and Audrey's scene) as a way of showing that life goes on in Twin Peaks even without following the characters we're familiar with...unless it actually turns out that we need to care about Mary, Billy etc.

JC Sera

honestly every single repeat jacoby scene gives me severe anxiety since episode 8, I just keep expecting a woodsmen to pop up, kill him, and then take over his radio show

Joqu

honestly every single repeat jacoby scene gives me severe anxiety since episode 8, I just keep expecting a woodsmen to pop up, kill him, and then take over his radio show

i get severe anxiety because I expect jacoby to kill all my dear woodsmen tbh

Joqu

He's called Richard 'cos he's named after his father. :-s

all the signs were there

6Mv12li.jpg

Sethista

I like how lynch makes us wait for things to happen, and how that really seem to be a message he is giving the fans. Like the woman in the car who couldnt stop screaming at the traffic jam, it makes sense.

But I see very little payoff for the waiting. Whatever we get after, it doesnt seem to add more pieces to the puzzle, its like pieces of a different puzzle altogether, and we have 6 more episodes left.

I hope when we do get coop back, its the same coop. Not a aged, cynical water down coop, but the coop from 25 years ago.

stuminus3

I hope when we do get coop back, its the same coop. Not a aged, cynical water down coop, but the coop from 25 years ago.
I feel like that would undermine a lot of what this has been about. Coop might come back, but 1989 Coop isn't. Those years are lost for him just as much as they are for the rest of us.

Goldmund

I liked how meta the episode was. We keep getting only one side of a conversation and it leads us to believe that matters are much more ominous and inscrutable than they would seem if we had the whole picture. The show is aware of this, I enjoy that. Then again, such self-awareness and "concealed" fourth-wall-breaking can get grating fast and I can see others having a lower threshold for this than I do.

It had little else though. Almost every scene had uninteresting framing and blocking, just two people sitting/standing and talking. Even if that was intentional and not happenstance, I found myself simply listening and looking around my room too often.

Wollan

Eh this episode was the most tiring in the season so far.
It had one cool scene, due to its old-school Twin Peaks feel, and that was Hawk making a house visit. I'm also glad Coopers hotel key finally got into Truman's hands.

Sarah Palmer continues to scare me. Her voice kinda modulates and gets deeper at certain points, much like when she delivered the message to Briggs in the S2 finale. Just completely unsettling.

Charlie is Lynch and we are all Audrey.

That makes sense from a meta perspective. Fenn was a late addition to the cast, so here she is in the final third stood opposite a Lynch analogue with all of his paperwork - the narrative - in front of him. And she wants to go to the Roadhouse (current signifier for a closed chapter) but he has all of these other stories to deal with. How is she supposed to fit into this?

Well, here's an expository dump complete with a sea of names.

And no, she can't be informed about the phone conversation. She has her lines and everything else is blocked out.

Or maybe i'm completely wrong.

Chumley

Banned
That makes sense from a meta perspective. Fenn was a late addition to the cast, so here she is in the final third stood opposite a Lynch analogue with all of his paperwork - the narrative - in front of him. And she wants to go to the Roadhouse (current signifier for a closed chapter) but he has all of these other stories to deal with. How is she supposed to fit into this?

Well, here's an expository dump complete with a sea of names.

And no, she can't be informed about the phone conversation. She has her lines and everything else is blocked out.

Or maybe i'm completely wrong.

giphy.gif

The Charlie/Audrey scene, like the scene with the French lady, definitely felt like a deliberate exercise in frustration. To what purpose I have no fucking clue. I did laugh out loud when the scene cut away from Audrey (acting as the audience surrogate) begging for a plot payoff. That was a pretty audacious "fuck you" to the audience.

Saw this on Reddit:
IgPgp9Ll.jpg

lol

Vectorman

Banned
Something just occurred to me: Did we miss a scene on how Truman found out about Richard killing the kid and trying to murder Megan? Sure, he tells Ben that Richard did it, but was it Megan that told him or was it the letter getting past Chad? Cause if it was the letter, Chad is fucked either way right?

So, the Blue Rose origin story kills the idea that the opening part of FWWM is a dream Coop is having.

Although I guess Carl's appearance already did that.

gabbo

I guess my hope that we'd learn about Annie or Agent Desmond are unlikely at this point.
Maybe Laura will come back via Annie if she really is stuck in the lodge in the same manner as Cooper?

Levito

Banned
The opening of FWWM would've been a lot better if Kyle MacLachlan had actually been around to film the scenes they replaced with Chet Desmond.

I guess my hope that we'd learn about Annie or Agent Desmond are unlikely at this point.
Maybe Laura will come back via Annie if she really is stuck in the lodge in the same manner as Cooper?

Annie is very likely one way or another. Chet on the other hand seems.... I don't know we got bigger fish to fry. I think that's an exmaple of a mystery best left up in the air. I've always just imagined the ring pulled him into the Black Lodge and he's stuck there like many others.

g11

Something just occurred to me: Did we miss a scene on how Truman found out about Richard killing the kid and trying to murder Megan? Sure, he tells Ben that Richard did it, but was it Megan that told him or was it the letter getting past Chad? Cause if it was the letter, Chad is fucked either way right?

it's Miriam but yeah, that's the most logical sequence of events, even if we didn't see it. Miriam or her letter, it doesn't make much difference either way. I guess if it was just Miriam, Chad might skate by but then there was Lucy seeing him fuck with the mail and if Truman brings Richard in, I doubt he'd feel much loyalty to protect Chad.

At the very least, Andy Brennan has an answer ready should the Woodsmen pop up in town and inquire about a light. Andy to the rescue!

mittelos

I may be super behind on this, but I rewatched the first five episodes last night and realized that whoever Jefferies is knew about Dougie and was actually the one trying to assassinate him through Lorraine prior to the Black Lodge event to ensure Doop got pulled in. Is this the common theory and I'm just super behind?
Wait...ugh I thought I understood this arc but now you're making me rethink it. I've been thinking Doop hired Lorraine. Assuming Mr. Todd is working for Doop, on rewatch of episode 2 I thought I'd even pieced together that Lorraine was the "her" that Mr Todd refers to when he hands Roger the two bundles of cash and says "tell her she has the job". And since she and crew ultimately failed, it's why Ike was hired (assuming again by Doop/Mr Todd) to kill Lorraine and Coop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom