• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can anybody not like new Truman. It's Robert goddamn Forster. And they reference Harry all the time because it ties into the longstanding concepts of doubling and doppelgängers. He is Sheriff Truman, but he's not Sheriff Truman.

I like him a whole bunch too, but I just wonder how much more familiar and warm things would feel if it were Michael Ontkean reprising his character.

EDIT: Speaking of which:
Kajo69j.png

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I like him a whole bunch too, but I just wonder how much more familiar and warm things would feel if it were Michael Ontkean reprising his character.

EDIT: Speaking of which:
Kajo69j.png

I do miss Michael, I will say that. I also love the new Truman, and appreciate the brother angle. But they can only work within what's possible, and I think that's understandable.

Meesh

Ok, I finally started watching the new Twin Peaks. Only episode 1... I'm not sure I can go further unless I watch the original series again. Did anyone here just jump in or did you prime by starting all over? I just think the overall experience might be richer watching it all from the start??

Anyways, I love how Lynch contrasts his characters... its crazy. It's like contrasting colours purple/yellow or green/red. Not just with Agent Cooper in how he used to be with how he is now, but stuff on the surface too. The ugly hicks in the back 40 vs the jean models that come out of the back room of the run down shack... the whole episode was this eerily similar dream, both beautiful and scary...no doubt enhanced by my experience years ago when I watched the first series.

Side note, is it an intentional gag that Chief Tommy Hawk (tomahawk) is also "chief" of police?

Ok, I finally started watching the new Twin Peaks. Only episode 1... I'm not sure I can go further unless I watch the original series again. Did anyone here just jump in or did you prime by starting all over? I just think the overall experience might be richer watching it all from the start??

Anyways, I love how Lynch contrasts his characters... its crazy. It's like contrasting colours purple/yellow or green/red. Not just with Agent Cooper in how he used to be with how he is now, but stuff on the surface too. The ugly hicks in the back 40 vs the jean models that come out of the back room of the run down shack... the whole episode was this eerily similar dream, both beautiful and scary...no doubt enhanced by my experience years ago when I watched the first series.

Side note, is it an intentional gag that Chief Tommy Hawk (tomahawk) is also "chief" of police?

If you've seen the first two seasons before, I wouldn't worry about ploughing through them again (maybe find a summary on youtube to refresh your brain). If you haven't seen Fire Walk With Me though, you should do before doing the new season.

Nice observations! I personally think you could get away without watching it from the start, but I would recommend watching the pilot, the season 2 finale, and the FWWM movie.

There was a great 50 minute-ish recap posted here before the season started that could do you some good too, if you don't have the time to watch 30 episodes. Someone here might be able to link you to it.

mittelos

Someone posted a pretty good suggested viewing list somewhere in the thread- I'd say for sure all of season 1, and season 2 through Leland arc, then fast forward to end of season 2, and then FWWM.

Dusk Golem

Nice observations! I personally think you could get away without watching it from the start, but I would recommend watching the pilot, the season 2 finale, and the FWWM movie.

There was a great 50 minute-ish recap posted here before the season started that could do you some good too, if you don't have the time to watch 30 episodes. Someone here might be able to link you to it.

Basically, there might be some small things you miss but if you have a general memory of what happened, I think the things most important for a 'refresher course' for the series is the Pilot, the Season 2 Finale, and the film Fire Walk With Me. There's a few choice episodes that may also help, or rather choice scenes, but honestly I think some of the more important stuff for the new season is more related to the 'series lore', if you will, which isn't always said clearly in the original show.

Meesh

If you've seen the first two seasons before, I wouldn't worry about ploughing through them again (maybe find a summary on youtube to refresh your brain). If you haven't seen Fire Walk With Me though, you should do before doing the new season.
Yeah I don't have tons of time... I'll see what I can cram :)

This sounds more my pace maybe. And I can probably watch it with my GF, she's a busy gal
Basically, there might be some small things you miss but if you have a general memory of what happened, I think the things most important for a 'refresher course' for the series is the Pilot, the Season 2 Finale, and the film Fire Walk With Me. There's a few choice episodes that may also help, or rather choice scenes, but honestly I think some of the more important stuff for the new season is more related to the 'series lore', if you will, which isn't always said clearly in the original show.
Series lore eh? Was gonna mention the inclusion of actual spirits and how that fit but I'm sure it'll all piece together. Don't really remember actual ghosts in the first... perhaps it was implied???

I think that Twin Peaks fans are annoyed with it, but David Lynch fans are loving it. That's what I've sussed out in my group of friends that are watching it.

That's basically where I'm at. I'd peg myself as maybe at-most a moderate fan of the original Twin Peaks series, and significantly more interested in FWWM and Lynch's other projects, but I've been absolutely on board this entire season. If anything it's reignited my appreciation of Twin Peaks.

Holy shit I actually started laughing IRL (in a good way) when James came up. Partly due to that post in this thread accidentally predicting the future. Amazing and just the kind of bullshit I want from this show.

Dougie scenes are the best btw. Loving almost everything about this show thus far, some unintentionally boring scenes aside.

Dusk Golem

I'm both a fan of Twin Peaks and David Lynch. I had played a lot of things that were Twin Peaks inspired in 2010, that was the year I played Alan Wake, Deadly Premonition, and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I loved all three, and all three had creators who said a huge source of inspiration for them was Twin Peaks, which I had heard about a bit over the years but I decided then if I loved all of these things that were vocal about being inspired by this show, then most likely I would probably love the show too.

And I did, watched the original two seasons and Fire Walk With Me in the summer of 2010 and fell in love with it. It became my all-time favorite TV show. A few years later I would take a deeper dive and watch more of Lynch's fimography, and now at this point I've seen about everything he's ever made. I enjoy most of it quite a bit and every few years like to return to a few of his films.

So I am a more general David Lynch fan as I do love about every major film he's done and a number of his short films (though a few exceptions in both), but I love Twin Peaks too and it's retained it's spot as my favorite TV show of all time.

This new season is weird because I personally find it incredibly engaging, more than Lynch's works even usually are for me. There's tinges of both what I loved about the original show and his other works in it, but it's also it's own thing. I can objectively see some elements I can identify that others may not enjoy, but speaking personally I find myself entranced by this show in a way not many other shows or films manage to do. There's a variety of scenes, developments, and just moods that encapture me while I'm watching. It's an interesting thing for me to watch week by week.

I guess if I must be labelled I am a more general Lynch fan as I grew into that, and indeed I do love his other works and I'm loving this new season. I could see someone who loves the original series and is not big on Lynch's other works not really digging this season, and visa versa people who didn't really like Twin Peaks who likes Lynch's other works liking this new season. But I don't know, to me the part of me that loves Lynch's works and the part of me that loves the original Twin Peaks feels very satisfied, but I feel often my own lens I'm seeing the show through and how I enjoy it is very different than how others are seeing and digesting it.

g11

Loved this episode. Much better than last weeks.

I might be the only one but I think Gordon Cole and Tammy drag down the whole series and last week was a perfect example of it.

Gordon Cole works great as a one-note joke character. But Lynch and his lady friend aren't actors and most of their scenes feel bad to me.

I hope people don't yell at me too much for this opinion.

I always have at least a little bit of an issue with a director inserting themselves into their movies or shows. Granted, if we're talking Orson Welles who was a bonafide actor, they get a pass. I really don't like it when Quentin Tarantino does it because he's a terrible actor. I think Lynch as Cole was fine in the first two seasons of the show and FWWM because his screen time was relatively limited and he was never the primary focus of those scenes. Parts of The Return Lynch's lack of professional acting skills has stood out more at times and look, I get some people really like Chrysta Bell and that's fine, I don't hate her. I just think the role would be much better suited toward a professional actress.

Oh quickly RE: the "I read about ep 14 and hooooly shit!" stuff, I don't begrudge people their opinion and all, but I would firmly put myself in the "please don't" camp. It builds hype whether you mean it to or not and speaking for myself at least, I like to go into each episode having zero expectations and zero idea of what's going to happen. I don't ever watch previews for next week's episode, either for Twin Peaks (I honestly don't know if TP even has those0 or any other show for that reason.

Oh and someone mentioned the spotlight on Sonny Jim on the jungle gym and how it was used in Maddy's death and that absolutely explains why I felt so unnerved by that scene. Something about it just seemed...off. Good catch. It does seem like everything is going so well for Dougie and Janey-E that the other shoe almost inevitably has to drop now.

Dusk Golem

Holy shit I actually started laughing IRL (in a good way) when James came up. Partly due to that post in this thread accidentally predicting the future. Amazing and just the kind of bullshit I want from this show.

Dougie scenes are the best btw. Loving almost everything about this show thus far, some unintentionally boring scenes aside.

I'm happy I'm not alone in the post thing. Part of the reason I really lost it was the person in this thread a few days ago obviously kidding he had exclusive information that Part 13 would feature James in the Roadhouse singing his one hit wonder, "Just You." To see that literally become a reality when all of us took it as a joke made it even funnier to me. The woman crying in the booths over it and James and the fact it literally sounds just like the original song, not even a cover to me, made it even better.

Dusk Golem

I love that video. My memory of Truman always remembers him as a warm person, but when rewatching the series there are scenes he becomes aggressive and mad, irrational basically and his acting makes it more amusing. Seeing it in a compilation of a few of those scenes paints it in a very different, but amusing way.

I wish it included a few more, like the drunken Harry scenes from the original when he has his breakdown.

I don't think it's wise to hope for this. If they wanted to do that, Cooper would've been back by the 5th episode. This journey back is effectively an end. This is the moment where 25 years of something in the universe being out of balance has a chance to be either restored by Coop/White Lodge spirits, or made infinitely worse by whatever the hell Mr. C/BOB are/were planning with the glass box.

If we get more, great, but everything the show is doing (that we can comprehend right now) seems to point to a collision course of weird and vitally important stuff about to happen in this final stretch of episodes.

Why does Cooper's journey back have to be an end? It can merely be the journey of Season 3, with Cooper's return unlocking future adventures & lore building with the real Cooper back and enjoying his coffee & pie.

I think that Season 3's final scene will involve Cooper awakening from the Dougie state, and potentially some insidious evil-Cooper or BOB cliffhanger, to leave fans hanging for a 4th season (and to devour the upcoming book by Frost).

Here's a little evidence that may hint at future seasons: http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/twin-peaks-wrapped-2-seasons-or-more/

With all the slow scenes that they have this season, they very easily could have shot two seasons' worth in 140 days of filming.

PUT IT DOWWWWNNN

The woman crying in the booths over it and James and the fact it literally sounds just like the original song, not even a cover to me, made it even better.

This is all a tape recording. No hay banda.

Chromatics and NIN were both studio versions of their songs too, so I assume all of the Roadhouse bands songs are. I mean, not as noticeable as using the exact same audio from an infamous scene 26 years ago, but worth mentioning.

Dusk Golem

I'm really looking forward to the next time I decide to rewatch all of Seasons 1, 2, Fire Walk With Me/Missing Pieces, & Season 3. I think watching it all again after Season 3 is done is going to be quite something.

Meh. As a Lynch super fan, even I'm disappointed. Much like the new Star Wars, they've had decades to invent new material, and all I'm left wondering is... that's it?

Redneck hit squad? Tammy? An abundance of plot threads that go absolutely nowhere? Still focusing on Dougie? Plenty of scenes I'd straight up skip upon rewatch. Not exactly how I envisioned the follow up to Twin Peaks after all this time. It's a mixed bag of half incredible awesome and half plodding, monumentally boring shite.

It's at least made me like FWWM even more, and rewatch Lost Highway.

I think that Season 3's final scene will involve Cooper awakening from the Dougie state, and potentially some insidious evil-Cooper or BOB cliffhanger, to leave fans hanging for a 4th season.
I've seen that one already.

Except nobody is saying that. No one who likes the show is using that "defense". That would imply what we have now is seen as a mess and full of useless scenes that we "hope" pay off at the end.

Most are saying the like or love what we have now, period. Even without knowing how it will end.

How it wraps up doesn't change how enjoyable the material we have now is. I don't see anyone saying "none of this makes sense and I dont like it but I hope it will pay off in the end!" Most are judging the episodes on what we have now and find them immensely enjoyable.

There is no "well I hope this pays off because this is stupid so far" sort of attitude like you saw with AD Season 4. You see appreciation for what we have now based purely alone on what we have now.

Reason being I don't think ANYONE is expecting this to be wrapped up in a nice bow and solve every loose and and have it end happily ever after. That isn't how David Lynch does things. Look how Season 2 ended on a cliff-hanger. When FWWM was announced many people assumed that it would wrap up the loose ends and solve that cliff-hanger. And well, Lynch had zero interest in doing that. You aren't going to get a Return of the King style ended where every divergent storyline is all wrapped up and solved. To expect Lynch to even want to do that...would not be very Lynch like.

Caveat:

I think many people will prefer the show on a rewatch, because right now I think the 'Maybe Coop will wake up this week' mindset is causing a lot of the frustration with Dougie. I think the Dougie stuff will be judged more for what it is, than what it isn't, when people go back and rewatch it.

Many won't change their minds on it, but I imagine some people will enjoy it more next time around when they aren't hoping for something that isn't going to happen week in and week out. That's driving at least some of the frustration (and I can empathize with almost all of the complaints).

One thing I do disagree with is criticisms of poor pacing. The show is very slowly paced and not everyone is going to like that... but I don't think you can jump from slow to poor. The pacing is clearly carefully measured. It's what it wants to be, not some trainwreck or something where people don't know what they're doing or how to pace a TV show or whatever.

And random people doing random things gets less annoying when you know when those people aren't random on a rewatch. Like maybe you hated Phil or Candie when you first met them. But you don't now, and when you rewatch, their first scenes aren't going to be anything like as disappointing as they may have been initially.

Not many people like the Milford bros in season 2... but I doubt many people disliked that fist fight during Leland's funeral *more* on a rewatch. And I'd bet some people found it less annoying the second time around.

And that's picking a plot line that's widely criticized. I'm always going to be upset when I see Coop getting brain fried in Part 3 because I care about his character, but it'll be a lot easier if I know he will be okay in the end, than it was when I didn't.

There will be reassessment down the line, when we judge our earliest moments with characters with the full knowledge of who they are. I will react differently to the scenes with Warden Murphy and Bill Hastings knowing their fates. I think it's going to improve for most people on a rewatch.

But I doubt it'll flip people from hate to love or be anything particularly dramatic. I just expect that the Dougie stuff, espescially, will see the most warming up to, once we have the bookend to it that we don't have now.

Linkin112

I'm happy I'm not alone in the post thing. Part of the reason I really lost it was the person in this thread a few days ago obviously kidding he had exclusive information that Part 13 would feature James in the Roadhouse singing his one hit wonder, "Just You." To see that literally become a reality when all of us took it as a joke made it even funnier to me. The woman crying in the booths over it and James and the fact it literally sounds just like the original song, not even a cover to me, made it even better.
Lol, it may forever be my proudest moment on this website. I thought James performing it was dumb enough to actually be a possibility, but to joke about the actual episode in which it happens? The stars aligned for me.

Harry was at his best when he was getting his nose pinched by Coop.
This is true.

Vectorman

Banned
Honestly watching 18 hours of the Return in full sounds exhaustive lol. Dougie scenes will be like eh because you've already seen them once before and other than a sprinkling of plot, they can be skipped on a rewatch. Same with the later Dr. Amp stuff and other long shots because you'll already know that they go nowhere. Probably would skip some of the musical acts to keep the plot moving. I would keep James though. That shit was gold.

Honestly watching 18 hours of the Return in full sounds exhaustive lol. Dougie scenes will be like eh because you've already seen them once before and other than a sprinkling of plot, they can be skipped on a rewatch. Same with the later Dr. Amp stuff and other long shots because you'll already know that they go nowhere.

But they're funny.

Do you skip all the bits of the original series that are funny when rewatching?

I don't get this idea that if it doesn't forward the plot it can be safely skipped that I've seen a lot of people exhibit. Loads of great scenes in the original series don't forward the plot.

The Dougie stuff is hilarious to me. Genuinely hilarious. I love every moment of it. I don't care if it is or isn't moving Coop closer to recovery, because it's enjoyable in and of itself. The train of Mitchums, girls and Dougie last night? Painfully funny. The scene with Dougie and Frank drinking coffee? Funny. The scene with Frank, Dougie, and Bushnell? Hilarious.

Why would I want to skip those bits :(

I honestly believe Dougie scenes will grow worse since you know he will literally magic his way via silence into solving and surviving for eight or nine straight hours. They're segments you can literally leave the room to fix a snack during and miss nothing.

At least Mr. Jackpots is funny to say out loud. That's all I got.

Dusk Golem

Honestly watching 18 hours of the Return in full sounds exhaustive lol. Dougie scenes will be like eh because you've already seen them once before and other than a sprinkling of plot, they can be skipped on a rewatch. Same with the later Dr. Amp stuff and other long shots because you'll already know that they go nowhere. Probably would skip some of the musical acts to keep the plot moving. I would keep James though. That shit was gold.

It goes by surprisingly quickly as you watch, I rewatched Parts 1-8 and then 9 for the first time when it aired with a group of about 15-20 people. When you know what to expect and don't have many breaks, it works surprisingly well in a long form and I actually think works better in that format than week by week. Though I wouldn't undertake watching all 18 parts at once, but choosing where to break off. My opinion is The Return does surprisingly well on rewatches, you pick up on a lot of things you missed the first time and when you see things in succession you begin to notice some things in terms of flow and details from episodes ago that come part later in that are easy to miss.

Also I said this last page, but people always talk about Dougie in isolation. The stuff I love most about the Vegas stuff is the characters in it, their bigger-than-life personalities and how they grow through their experiences with Dougie. If Dougie's scenes were all just him wandering all the time slowly that'd be one thing, but there's a ton of interesting and likable characters and arcs in the Vegas side of things.

I honestly believe Dougie scenes will grow worse since you know he will literally magic his way via silence into solving and surviving for eight or nine straight hours. They're segments you can literally leave the room to fix a snack during and miss nothing.

At least Mr. Jackpots is funny to say out loud. That's all I got.
How do you not already know that?

That's practically his character introduction. And the writing has long been on the wall that he wasn't waking up any time soon all the way back when Part 3 and Part 4 first aired.

Joqu

the Dougie stuff is my favourite stuff right now. Mr C being a close second. Dougie Coop always gets a laugh out of me and my mom. Unless he's pulling my heartstrings, which he has continued to be quite effective at too. (yeah, we're still watching this together. It's been a great weekly thing <3)

Vectorman

Banned
But they're funny.

Do you skip all the bits of the original series that are funny when rewatching?

I don't get this idea that if it doesn't forward the plot it can be safely skipped that I've seen a lot of people exhibit. Loads of great scenes in the original series don't forward the plot.

The Dougie stuff is hilarious to me. Genuinely hilarious. I love every moment of it. I don't care if it is or isn't moving Coop closer to recovery, because it's enjoyable in and of itself. The train of Mitchums, girls and Dougie last night? Painfully funny. The scene with Dougie and Frank drinking coffee? Funny. The scene with Frank, Dougie, and Bushnell? Hilarious.

Why would I want to skip those bits :(

Well I'm glad you do! I'm personally not into them and I find the gag wearisome. They should have had better progression with Dougie getting better. Instead he's mostly the same other than a quicker moving speed. Do you really want to rewatch Dougie having to go to the bathroom again? Or him staring at the cowboy again? Or doodling on insurance stuff for 15 mins?

Well I'm glad you do! I'm personally not into them and I find the gag wearisome. They should have had better progression with Dougie getting better. Instead he's mostly the same other than a quicker moving speed. Do you really want to rewatch Dougie having to go to the bathroom again? Or him staring at the cowboy again? Or doodling on insurance stuff for 15 mins?

You probably don't want to know how many times I've already rewatched this show. Not counting Part 13, the *least* I've seen any episode is three times. I've lost count of how many times I rewatched the first four.

And I can't wait to watch the whole thing in an unhealthy marathon.

Or watch the blu-rays so they don't have occasional stream hitches and glitches and for their higher bitrate audio and video.

How do you not already know that?

That's practically his character introduction. And the writing has long been on the wall that he wasn't waking up any time soon all the way back when Part 3 and Part 4 first aired.
Yeah I understand it- and it's incredibly, utterly, mind numbingly boooooring after the first few hours. Just not interesting. Flat. Dulllllllll.

And that's not even comparing him to Coop- who he is a stand in for. Compare any Dougie scene with any Cooper scene simply talking into a hand held recorder, and I know which actually captivated and excited me.

I used to want to watch Twin Peaks as quickly as possible. Now, I don't really care so much. Its merely meh- which is a shame considering what it's coming from.

I am super happy we got a James song reprise, wish he and Ed were actually in this season.

g11

Not sure if it's anything but I noticed the Rancho Rosa card at the beginning was different and thought it might be significant because this is Lynch we're talking about and then going back through, I guess the logo is different for each episode...

These are in episode order.

7SgU3MB.png

OFw0peQ.png

Alfm6l3.png

a3luHGn.png

yQRnPpx.png

PBFJ1VT.png

ISYUH3J.png

mNMM5Rw.png

6vA3Hib.png

HI7aD28.png

fkUfzFm.png

Dxy7zpN.png

TyRAC8A.png

I guess I never noticed that in the circle is a mushroom cloud in the background and a facsimile of The Experiment in the foreground. Also interesting to note that Episode 8 is the only one where the text is different colors too.

I guess there are a few known cases of a person delivering a child while comatose. The "richard horne is doops rape baby" theory seemed to conflict with the "Audrey is still in a coma theory" at face value. It is plausible they can both exist though. Unless it's already been shown Richard isn't Audrey's kid and I'm just behind.

Dougie is an enjoyable character. He's just not anywhere near as enjoyable as Cooper for me. So even in the moments where I laugh, and even when I realize multiple character arcs are reliant on Dougies slow burn, I still crave me some Dale Cooper. The pie scenes and coffee scenes were enough to hold me over but only for so long. I think the last Dpougie scene I will be truly happy with will be the lounge / pie scene with the Mitchem bros.

Jame's musical performance has been the best one so far. It was made slightly better by the fact that the rest are total wastes of screen time for the most part though. I thought this one was really good though. I think it's hilarious the only two scenes we've seen him in has been oogling some girl while at the road house and then singing his old song. I've always found his character to be mostly pointless.

Stoked we got to see Big Ed. Kinda thought it was weird they spent so much time revealing his character only to have him focus on some random distrust of Norma's new business partner that doesn't seem at all relevant.

Dusk Golem

The Rancho Rosa stuff was also teased by Showtime themselves when they asked when the show originally released the first four parts if anyone could spot what changes about the opening each episode, and teasing what it could mean.

Some of them are more obvious than others, what I think each one does is it lightly reflects something about the mood or direction of an episode. The most obvious one is Part 8, which is a black and white introversion of the logo which really fits the episode. But others fit this too, like Part 10 is a dark red and one of the first shots we get is Mr. C wandering covered in blood, Part 11 is like smog which the episode deals with a lot of shitty people in it doing shitty things, then Part 12 is dream-like and bright, which the episode has that quality to it. Newest episode notably has the same background as Part 5 did but with a green ring, which obviously the Owl Ring appeared in this episode, and the background being the same of Part 5 I need to think more about.

mittelos

Not sure if it's anything but I noticed the Rancho Rosa card at the beginning was different and thought it might be significant because this is Lynch we're talking about and then going back through, I guess the logo is different for each episode...

These are in episode order.

I guess I never noticed that in the circle is a mushroom cloud in the background and a facsimile of The Experiment in the foreground. Also interesting to note that Episode 8 is the only one where the text is different colors too.
Thanks for taking the time to put these together; I think it was at episode 8 when I noticed they were different each episode- yeah last night's green ring really stood out.

The Rancho Rosa stuff was also teased by Showtime themselves when they asked when the show originally released the first four parts if anyone could spot what changes about the opening each episode, and teasing what it could mean.

Some of them are more obvious than others, what I think each one does is it lightly reflects something about the mood or direction of an episode. The most obvious one is Part 8, which is a black and white introversion of the logo which really fits the episode. But others fit this too, like Part 10 is a dark red and one of the first shots we get is Mr. C wandering covered in blood, Part 11 is like smog which the episode deals with a lot of shitty people in it doing shitty things, then Part 12 is dream-like and bright, which the episode has that quality to it. Newest episode notably has the same background as Part 5 did but with a green ring, which obviously the Owl Ring appeared in this episode, and the background being the same of Part 5 I need to think more about.

These are all off by one, just FYI!

Dusk Golem

These are all off by one, just FYI!

It's more I mis-labelled, I meant the Red one is Part 9 when we see bloodied Mr. C at the start meet Tim Roth, Part 10 is when the violence happens with the yellow smog color, Part 11 is the blue one with the episode of the dream with the brothers, the honking, etc., Part 13 is the recent one with the green ring.

I just accidentally typed the numbers wrong as I wrote them.

It's more I mis-labelled, I meant the Red one is Part 9 when we see bloodied Mr. C at the start meet Tim Roth, Part 10 is when the violence happens with the yellow smog color, Part 11 is the blue one with the episode of the dream with the brothers, the honking, etc., Part 13 is the recent one with the green ring.

I just accidentally typed the numbers wrong as I wrote them.

That's all I meant. Your numbers were off, not your descriptions and observations.

g11

Interesting how Episode 3 is the only one where the textured background is blurred out. Probably because Coop's trip out of the Lodge and into Las Vegas? I forget what else happens in that episode, lol.

That could just be the timing on the screen cap. There's flashing light throughout the logo, I just tried to get the clearest image in each case.

EDIT: Oh, it actually is blurry and not just washed out. Damn, didn't even notice that. I'm not a smart man.

And yeah, it seems like it just reflects on happenings in the episode. I guess I just never noticed before. Hadn't read that about Showtime pointing it out.

Joqu

I dunno why the background's blurred out, but the yellow looks like a pretty obvious reference to Dougie's golden orb to me. That was episode 3, right?

You can edit art as much as you can make modifications to anything you have. You can buy a guitar and change it to be what you want it to be if that's what you want. You can modify your kitchen sink if you want. You can buy a book and write another version for yourself if you want. You can buy a house and make changes to the architecture if you want.

Art is not some golden calf to be worshipped. Art is just art. You either get entertained by examining it or you don't. And if you don't, why not change it into something else if you want to do so. It's not as if the original piece is now gone

Of course you don't get to sell your version or claim this new version is the original, but for your own entertainment purposes it's ok to do whatever you want with it.

That's not what people are suggesting when they say someone should re-edit the show.

There is a difference between producing something new out of affection, and changing art you don't like. Warhol's soup cans and portraits, for example, are not at all comparable to someone re-editing Twin Peaks because it moves too slow.

Your metaphors don't work. A guitar is made to be tuned to the user's specifications. A house is meant to be customized. So is a kitchen sink. They are made to be altered.

Your book one is close, but misses the mark because someone is creating something that way. They can add anything they want and fully transform that book, making it original. This is what fan fiction does. Although the intention is questionable.

Re-editing this season, you can't film new scenes or different shots with Miguel Ferrer or Catherine Coulson or any of the actors. You can't hire Badalamenti to create new music or use Peter Deming for the cinematography. There is no creative transformation going on with that kind of fan edit. It's "I know your art better than you". It's circumventing Lynch/Frost's intention.

The only way a fan should alter Twin Peaks is creating a new piece from it. Shooting a fan film, writing fan fiction, painting a shot from the show, or even editing footage in a collage to highlight a certain aspect, these are all great things. These are all bringing new perspectives to the work. They come from a place of affection. Those are things Lynch/Frost can appreciate.

Looking at the season with dissatisfaction and deciding that you can do better is disrespectful. Do you think Lynch/Frost would look at a fan edit, made with the idea that the fan knows Twin Peaks better, as complimentary?

The best response to not liking a piece of art is using the aesthetics you like about that original piece and make something new. It's far better criticism and will be met with a better reception.

I'm not against a fan edit that wants to explore an aspect of the show. Such as one focusing solely on Cooper's perspective or the silent film version of Twin Peaks. These would be interesting ways to examine Cooper's journey or the visual nature of Twin Peaks and Lynch. But that is very different than the idea of doing better than Lynch.

And sure the original still exists, but that's not fair to the art. It's all digital now a days. We can have copies of everything, including this mythical fan edit. And without discretion someone who never saw Twin Peaks might see this first. I have absolutely seen people recommend a fan edit over the original. Someone doing that will never have had the experienece Lynch/Frost intended. Even if they go back and watch the original.

But this is all my opinion on what art is and means to me. It's not like I can stop anyone from making that fan edit. I just want to discourage it as much as possible. There's far more brilliant works waiting out there to be created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom