• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I genuinely lol'd when the Roadhouse MC introduced James on stage and he started playing.

Good ep.

I was in stitches during the congo line scene at the start and the whole James Roadhouse scene.

Just hearing the announcer say "The Roadhouse proudly presents, James-"

Me: Oh my God, they aren't...

"-Hurley!" -opening chords of "Just You" begin to play.

Me: Oh my GOD.

-commence three minutes of laughing, and breaking down as the woman in the audience begins to cry during the scene-

andymcc

Banned
Though for anyone curious, somebody did take two pictures to prove that Part 14 was uploaded, the first one doesn't have any real spoilers, second one isn't really a spoiler but alludes to something pretty heavy if true. Both are by the same user.

First picture has no spoilers, second picture is from the roadhouse scene of the episode but screencaps something that if true is a PRETTY HEAVY ALLUSION towards something:

Non-Spoiler 'Proof' Screenshot someone took to show that Part 14 being uploaded in Germany on accident is real: https://i.gyazo.com/88e82348176b3909cf3f6a583f614b8e.png

Second screen, it's from the roadhouse scene but shows a part of it that alludes to something potentially big you (and maybe I) wouldn't want to know before seeing the episode if it's true: https://i.gyazo.com/930f869587e2c1ec2cd79bde2045cfe5.png

But all I'll look at and post, going to avoid any more spoilers.

Welp @ that screen cap

PizzaFace

Banned
This isn't backseat modding, I just really wouldn't like anyone to risk bans this close to the end, but I think policy is that absolutely no talk about leaks is allowed, aside from acknowledgment that there has been one.

Dusk Golem

This isn't backseat modding, I just really wouldn't like anyone to risk bans this close to the end, but I think policy is that absolutely no talk about leaks is allowed, aside from acknowledgment that there has been one.

I'm not looking anything more so I won't post anymore since I don't want to know anything else, but these sort of situations are hard. Since this leak isn't someone posting it online, it's that an official provider accidentally posted Part 14 under Part 13, there's a couple people in this topic who have seen Part 14 but not 13 yet because of the mix-up.

PizzaFace

Banned
I'm not looking anything more so I won't post anymore since I don't want to know anything else, but these sort of situations are hard. Since this leak isn't someone posting it online, it's that an official provider accidentally posted Part 14 under Part 13, there's a couple people in this topic who have seen Part 14 but not 13 yet because of the mix-up.

Oh totally! I'm not a mod, it's not my policy. But it seems to be the policy non the less.

Cheebo

Banned

Yep, and everyone knows exactly where to find the episode or the synopsis if they so desire anyway.

Stick to Game of Thrones. We really don't need to turn Twin Peaks into paint by numbers TV.

Just doing something different than most does not make that something better.

Most films and TV present their audience with a story told in linear order -- because that is how we experience time.

David Lynch is not perfect, and this season is stacking up to be like Arrested Development Season 4 -- pretty boring and sub-par with people blindly defending it as amazing because it dares to be non-linear.

I'm sorry to tell you, nobody defends Arrested Development S4 any more -- and I don't have hope Lynch can pull a rabbit outta his hat in the episodes remaining to justify the complete collapse of any sense or momentum this season has now sufferered after another 60-minute episode containing perhaps 20 minutes of worthwhile scenes.

Maybe S3 will be better with a The Hobbit Trilogy style cut-down, but we all know Lynch isn't gonna be the one to fix it.

Cheebo

Banned

Most films and TV present their audience with a story told in linear order -- because that is how we experience time.

David Lynch is not perfect, and this season is stacking up to be like Arrested Development Season 4 -- pretty boring and sub-par with people blindly defending it as amazing because it dares to be non-linear.

I'm sorry to tell you, nobody defends Arrested Development S4 any more -- and I don't have hope Lynch can pull a rabbit outta his hat in the episodes remaining to justify the complete collapse of any sense or momentum this season has now sufferered after another 60-minute episode containing perhaps 20 minutes of worthwhile scenes.

Maybe S3 will be better with a The Hobbit Trilogy style cut-down, but we all know Lynch isn't gonna be the one to fix it.

Lynch was never going to make a standard tv show like structure with this season of Twin Peaks. The only reason he was on the first seasons was he was forced to by early 90's network tv requirements.

Comparing this to Arrested Development Season 4 was odd. AD Season 4's reception was mostly disappointment from the get go from the day it dropped, even you can admit the reception for the most part is overwhelmingly positive for TP Season 3. Just look at the near universal praise from critics. AD Season 4 did not get that.

Same with the Hobbit. In the case of Hobbit and AD Season 4 the disappointment was clearly the majority opinion very early on. For Twin Peaks Season 3 disappointment is without question the minority view.

You can't compare follow-ups where most of the fanbase reaction with somewhat of a let down to something where EASILY the vast majority of the fan base has been very positive. You have to remember most Twin Peaks fans are David Lynch fans first and foremost and have embraced his style of cinema for years. TP 3 has its detractors but they are a pretty small group if you look at the various critic reviews from episode to episode or various TP fan communities online.

Plum

Stick to Game of Thrones. We really don't need to turn Twin Peaks into paint by numbers TV.

I'm not asking for the show to turn into GoT nor "paint by numbers TV", I'd just prefer the show if it stuck with the plots it already had and at least tried to justify all the timeline fuckery, poor pacing and random scenes. After the tenth "person shown doing random thing for longer than necessary", "new storyline is introduced" or Dr. Amp scene things gets less Lynchian and more... just bad in my eyes.

Dusk Golem

I'm sorry to tell you, nobody defends Arrested Development S4 any more -- and I don't have hope Lynch can pull a rabbit outta his hat in the episodes remaining to justify the complete collapse of any sense or momentum this season has now sufferered after another 60-minute episode containing with perhaps 20 minutes of worthwhile scenes.
I agree with the base point but not the arguement. Something is not automatically good for being different, and I've seen a lot of cases where something different doesn't hit the mark for me, but then your message goes into expressing your opinion as if it's concrete and as if you're revealing some hidden truth from delusional fans.

It's okay to dislike it but I've personally been loving the series, not for any particular reason just I think it's very, very good and appeals to me personally a lot. I can respect other people not liking it, but some people seem to lose the perspective of subjection and try to paint the 'other side' as being wrong or delusional just because they don't agree on the current state of the show.

Cheebo

Banned
I think it is safe to say anyone who says something like :"Well, most tv and movies" when prefacing a criticism of TP Season 3 not following normal tv norms is not too familiar with David Lynch's filmography.

It was clear from the minute this was greenlit it would feel more like a Lynch film than Season 1 & 2 which he was handcuffed by network tv norms on.

Dusk Golem

I think it is safe to say anyone who says something like :"Well, most tv and movies" when prefacing a criticism of TP Season 3 not following normal tv norms is not too familiar with David Lynch's filmography.

It was clear from the minute this was greenlit it would feel more like a Lynch film than Season 1 & 2 which he was handcuffed by network tv norms on.

Honestly I also think this is a bit disuasive of people who aren't enjoying the new season. I think it's sensible there's people who wanted something from this new season and aren't getting what they wanted. Or what the current season is doesn't appeal to them personally. I think it's very obvious this season is different than the original series, but not so different there's no semblence of the original series within it, but the focus, tone, and pacing are quite different. Some people will find the change fantastic, some will find it horrible. It's a very opinionated thing, and I think that gets lost in some people trying to lash out at the 'other side' sometimes to justify why this work is one thing or another.

I think the only thing certain is there's people that love and hate this, and everything in-between.

nachum00

Loved this episode. Much better than last weeks.

I might be the only one but I think Gordon Cole and Tammy drag down the whole series and last week was a perfect example of it.

Gordon Cole works great as a one-note joke character. But Lynch and his lady friend aren't actors and most of their scenes feel bad to me.

I hope people don't yell at me too much for this opinion.

Lynch was never going to make a standard tv show like structure with this season of Twin Peaks. The only reason he was on the first seasons was he was forced to by early 90's network tv requirements.

Comparing this to Arrested Development Season 4 was odd. AD Season 4's reception was mostly disappointment from the get go from the day it dropped, even you can admit the reception for the most part is overwhelmingly positive for TP Season 3. Just look at the near universal praise from critics. AD Season 4 did not get that.

Same with the Hobbit. In the case of Hobbit and AD Season 4 the disappointment was clearly the majority opinion very early on. For Twin Peaks Season 3 disappointment is without question the minority view.

You can't compare follow-ups where most of the fanbase reaction with somewhat of a let down to something where EASILY the vast majority of the fan base has been very positive. You have to remember most Twin Peaks fans are David Lynch fans first and foremost and have embraced his style of cinema for years. TP 3 has its detractors but they are a pretty small group if you look at the various critic reviews from episode to episode or various TP fan communities online.

I don't care what critics have to say. I'm watching the show, I care about what I feel.

The start of S3 was great. The was a depth and pace to it that was compelling. It had a couple of mis-steps and slow-downs near the two week break, but going into the break I had hope it would kick into high gear.

Since returning from the break, it's has been non-stop awfulness. After that crazy episode with the miners and the frog-in-mouth stuff, I figured the second half would be a tight and intense ride to the ending. It has been nothing of the sort, with literal re-used scenes added as filler. Lynch literally fought with Showtime for more episodes, and he's burning his remaining time on this? I'm not saying a multi-minute scene with a looping boxing match cannot be made to be interesting and meaningful, but Lynch sure isn't pulling it off.

A lot of people seem to just be seeing utter nonsense on screen and saying, "I didn't understand that! I must be dumb, as surely David Lynch is a genius! What an amazing scene; it was so genius I didn't even understand it!"

Sometimes nonsense has a depth and hidden meaning. I've lost my believe in Lynch that his nonsense does any more after the last few episodes. Seeing the end creeping up, and absolutely no attempt being made to increase the pace is absolutely maddening. It feels at this point that's he's got nothing, had nothing, and we're just going to realize we got hoodwinked into paying Showtime for 18-weeks of service to watch 9 weeks of good, sensible Twin Peaks content.

Boring.

I hope he releases more footage to make it three times as long.

He surely could just have an entire episode or 4 with just that same looping Dr. AMP scene again.

I agree with the base point but not the arguement. Something is not automatically good for being different, and I've seen a lot of cases where something different doesn't hit the mark for me, but then your message goes into expressing your opinion as if it's concrete and as if you're revealing some hidden truth from delusional fans.

It's okay to dislike it but I've personally been loving the series, not for any particular reason just I think it's very, very good and appeals to me personally a lot. I can respect other people not liking it, but some people seem to lose the perspective of subjection and try to paint the 'other side' as being wrong or delusional just because they don't agree on the current state of the show.

I feel this is unfair. We're all expressing our opinions in this forum, I shouldn't have to preface every statement I make with 'I think', 'I believe', or 'I opine' just to not be accused of stating my opinions as fact. Of course they are opinions.

If I came off as accusatory, I apologize. I'm just stating my opinion and comparing against how I see other people view the show and how it has been progressing.

Cheebo

Banned
Honestly I also think this is a bit disuasive of people who aren't enjoying the new season. I think it's sensible there's people who wanted something from this new season and aren't getting what they wanted. Or what the current season is doesn't appeal to them personally. I think it's very obvious this season is different than the original series, but not so different there's no semblence of the original series within it, but the focus, tone, and pacing are quite different. Some people will find the change fantastic, some will find it horrible. It's a very opinionated thing, and I think that gets lost in some people trying to lash out at the 'other side' sometimes to justify why this work is one thing or another.

I think the only thing certain is there's people that love and hate this, and everything in-between.
It's fine to not like it but to be upset it isn't paced like a normal tv show is...just so bizarre. It's David Lynch. I mean if you have seen a few David Lynch movies you know what to expect. He isn't going to try to do a "normal" show unless forced to like what happened with CBS.

It'd be like getting angry Christopher Nolan released a nonlinear movie. Or Tarantino releasing a period piece movie that has modern music on the soundtrack. There are certain traits with distinctive directors you have be willing to go with if you want to watch their work. David Lynch is not going to stop being David Lynch just because he had his hands tied by early 90's tv network requirements at one point.

Levito

Banned
Think I'm going to peace out of the thread until next week, I saw a spoiler for next week's episode and jesus it looks like it's going to be another real high point of this season(assuming it's true of course). Though I don't wanna see anything more than what I alreaddy saw so I'm out until 14 airs for everyone.

Great episode. I don't think I've laughed as much in months as I did when I heard the opening chords to 'just you and I'.

Also this episode 14 hype is super exciting and I just hope I don't see any spoilers until then.

Plum

I'm very familiar with Lynch's filmography; hell, Eraserhead is one of my favorite films of all time with Mulholland Drive following not too far behind. However, outside of the first few Episodes and Episode 8 (which are godly) very little in this show has made me feel even close to how I felt watching those two films for the first time. Lynch is best to me in small doses, whether that be a 2 hour film or the more surreal elements of the original TP series; to have 18 hours of it, especially when a lot of it is just plain bad to me, is too much. Completely ignoring many narrative conventions just doesn't work for me when it's stretched out to such insane lengths, I'd feel equally as bad towards 18 hours of Under the Skin or Primer despite me having loved both films.

Chitown B

Word.

It's fine to not like it but to be upset it isn't paced like a normal tv show is...just so bizarre. It's David Lynch. I mean if you have seen a few David Lynch movies you know what to expect. He isn't going to try to do a "normal" show unless forced to like what happened with CBS.

So, here's the thing: Boiling my sentiments down to being about 'pacing' is not fully correct. I admit I have not been good at properly explaining, so let me try and elaborate.

'Pacing' is about time. There have been moments in this season that have had fast pacing, and moments where it has been slow. I have enjoyed both. Watching a dude sweep the roadhouse floor for a couple of minutes -- that I enjoyed, it felt like there was some meaning to the deliberate pace -- it felt like a meaningful directing/editing choice used to convey a sense or meaning. In that case, I think the pace was showing us the slow place of the Roadhouse at its heart, especially in contrast with the normal loud/packed musical scenes we see nearly every episode. Having the meaningful phone call interrupt the sweeping again shows how mundane that illicit activity seems to the Roadhouse employee (Jacques' cousin?) -- it's just another day, another dollar, another phone call about a disgusting criminal sex ring...

My problem with S3 post-break is that I no longer feel like the pace is well, deliberately deliberate. I no longer find myself watching scenes and feeling like there was a purposeful choice to the pace. I don't see how, with 5 episodes left, the content and pacing of these last few episodes are valuable to getting us to a satisfying conclusion. What meaning or value does having two episodes each with 10+ minute scenes of Audrey shrilly yelling at her skeevy husband offer us? I didn't see any deep meaning or message there personally, just wasted time and potential.

Chitown B

It'd be like getting angry Christopher Nolan released a nonlinear movie. Or Tarantino releasing a period piece movie that has modern music on the soundtrack. There are certain traits with distinctive directors you have be willing to go with if you want to watch their work. David Lynch is not going to stop being David Lynch just because he had his hands tied by early 90's tv network requirements at one point.

No. This is like if Nolan did three episodes of a 30 ep TV show 25 years ago and then brought the show he barely was a part of back and did almost nothing with the original characters.

I like Lynch movies. But they stand alone. This is fucking with a beloved existing series.

Airola

Yeah I should have listened to the warning and NOT clicked the second one... that's a huge reveal I wish I hadn't known about. : (

My own fault though.

This does not mean anything yet. As said, it's not a reveal but it could hint at something.

But I guess we who have seen this picture are fucked either way because now something might not be a surprise and if this ends up not meaning anything we will be very disappointed :D

This is the point I try to make often in this thread (your explanation is better). People don't like a piece of art and, instead of finding what they want elsewhere, they want the artist to conform to them (or, worse, they edit the art to meet their standards and supplant what was presented to them). Which defeats the whole purpose of art.

It's fine to not like the show, not like what Lynch has become, and enjoy the old Twin Peaks or Lynch's other work. These aren't mutually exclusive. You can criticize the pacing or editorial choices, but to definitively say that it should be a certain way because that is your aesthetic, is ridiculous.

kris.

Banned
Did anyone else notice Audrey's reflection in the mirror on Charlie's shots? It looked really, really odd. Can't get a screencap but it bugged me a lot while watching that scene.

No. This is like if Nolan did three episodes of a 30 ep TV show 25 years ago and then brought the show he barely was a part of back and did almost nothing with the original characters.

I like Lynch movies. But they stand alone. This is fucking with a beloved existing series.

I kinda was elaborate on the character part of this. I think that is part of my issue with S3 -- the completely poor handling of original characters. Here's a few of my issues with some characters:

1. Cooper -- Being still stuck in Dougie as of Episode 13 of 18 is so completely indefensible. There is no excuse for this, as it's not like Kyle MacLachlan is unavailable or has said "I don't want to play Cooper any more!" -- He's right there and willing, why are we still stuck with a Copper basically locked in a hollow husk in episode 13?
  2. O.G Sheriff Truman -- I understand he was not available. Why does the show even bother referencing him every so often? Why pretend he is alive? Just say he died or moved to Europe or something. The unwillingness to part with the character is way more distracting than if they just Poochie'd him as they should have.
  3. New Sheriff Truman -- Robert Forster is great as always, but he doesn't bring much beyond that. Why does he have to be a Truman? He could just be Sheriff Forrester. The connection to OG Truman is more harmful than valuable, as it just points at the missing OG Truman for no value.
  4. Andy and Lucy -- These characters went from lovably and somewhat reasonably dim characters to complete and utter morons that should be wards of the state at their age.
  5. Hawk -- Michael Horse is great, but is not given much to work with. Why isn't he just the Sheriff when OG Truman went back to his home planet?

Cheebo

Banned
This is the point I try to make often in this thread (your explanation is better). People don't like a piece of art and, instead of finding what they want elsewhere, they want the artist to conform to them (or, worse, they edit the art to meet their standards and supplant what was presented to them). Which defeats the whole purpose of art.

It's fine to not like the show, not like what Lynch has become, and enjoy the old Twin Peaks or Lynch's other work. These aren't mutually exclusive. You can criticize the pacing or editorial choices, but to definitively say that it should be a certain way because that is your aesthetic, is ridiculous.

Yes yes yes exactly. It's fine to not like it. But to not like it because Lynch is doing in a very Lynch film like style but spread across the run time of a mini-series...is just odd. Wanting Lynch do do something that isn't Lynch like makes no sense. If you don't like modern unrestrained David Lynch then well, this season was never going to be up your ally.

A good test is if you didn't like Inland Empire...TP Season 3 was likely not going to be your cup of tea.

Edit: As for the original characters complaint remember this is a sequel mini-series. Treating it as a sequel is a much better and more accurate than a typical "Season 3" that continues right where the last one left off when a show is on the air. Are you mad that Star Wars Episode 7 didn't focus on the original trilogy characters?

Who says a sequel has to have Dale Cooper in a major role? Did The Force Awakens need Luke in a major role? What is inherently bad about instead starring Dougie? There is no requirement to follow the same narrative as the show from the early 90s.

Judging the show on what it's NOT rather than judging it as a unique piece of the David Lynch canon no different than say Inland Empire or Eraserhead makes no sense. This isn't Season 3 of Twin Peaks with your ol' pal Dale Cooper solving crimes and having fun. This show never made any attempt to be that. It isn't a fault of a piece of media for not being a completely different piece of media that you wanted instead. There is no requirement for Lynch to do a tv show about characters you liked. Criticizing a show for not being the show you want rather than judging it on it's own merits as a unique piece of television is silly.

Nostalgia expectations is not something to hold against media.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I quite liked this episode. One thing's certain though. The time is all whacked. We can toss that theory out the window that this week or the next was Oct 2nd. Only Lynch knows what the fuck is up with that.

I don't believe I've seen myself or anyone else say 'Twin Peaks must be this way' in this thread. I don't think that's a fair assessment of mine, or other users' critiques of this season so far.

But, I will say -- Twin Peaks season 3 is not just art, it is also a product. A product I've paid for. Showtime Anytime is $11/mo. As a product I've paid for, I think it's fair that I get to say I feel like I'm not getting my value.

Obviously that does not mean David Lynch has to bend to my (or other customer's) whims, but I think it helps protect my opinions and critiques from being summarily dismissed as worthless since it's 'just' art.

Goldmund

So, apparently Sky Germany, having put the wrong episode online, simply removed that while not replacing it with the right one. What the.

Cooper -- Being still stuck in Dougie as of Episode 13 of 18 is so completely indefensible. There is no excuse for this, as it's not like Kyle MacLachlan is unavailable or has said "I don't want to play Cooper any more!" -- He's right there and willing, why are we still stuck with a Copper basically locked in a hollow husk in episode 13?

To be fair, I am still convinced that Cooper coming back and being fine in the first 2/3rds of the season would end the series almost immediately. He's too damn good, knows too much and would resolve the main conflict almost immediately. The only other option would've been to leave him in the Lodge for brief snippets until the latter half of the season, but I'm still feeling the Dougie plot has some kind of purpose.

MisterR

This is a lot of nonsense. This season has been fantastic television. If you wanted rehash of Season 1, that was never going to happen. I for one am thankful that David Lynch isn't ready to be a nostalgia act. This is the furthest thing from Arrested Development Season 4, that was a pale imitation. This is taking Twin Peaks in new directions. You are free to not like it but the whole blindly defending it stuff is bullshit. Your opinion doesn't bestow or take away quality from something.

Edit: As for the original characters complaint remember this is a sequel mini-series. Treating it as a sequel is a much better and more accurate than a typical "Season 3" that continues right where the last one left off when a show is on the air. Are you mad that Star Wars Episode 7 didn't focus on the original trilogy characters?

I presume this is in response to my character complaints above.

I don't think 'this is a sequel vs a new season' is a valid defense for my complaints that the characters feel mishandled. I don't particularly care if a character doesn't get the screen time or attention I want, but I do care when the character is actively worsened by their designs in season 3. Lucy and Andy have clearly regressed in their characterization since the original series. Hawk has had 25-years of life between then and now, and we see none of it. The actual protagonist of Twin Peaks has been locked in a infantile shell for nearly 10 episodes now, with nothing to show for it.

Cheebo

Banned
I presume this is in response to my character complaints above.

I don't think 'this is a sequel vs a new season' is a valid defense for my complaints that the characters feel mishandled. I don't particularly care if a character doesn't get the screen time or attention I want, but I do care when the character is actively worsened by their designs in season 3. Lucy and Andy have clearly regressed in their characterization since the original series. Hawk has had 25-years of life between then and now, and we see none of it. The actual protagonist of Twin Peaks has been locked in a infantile shell for nearly 10 episodes now, with nothing to show for it.

How is Cooper mishandled though when he isn't even in it? The human shell/Dougie is effectively a completely different character. Outside of a few brief scenes in episodes 1-3 Cooper has not been in this show.

Dusk Golem

Did anyone else notice Audrey's reflection in the mirror on Charlie's shots? It looked really, really odd. Can't get a screencap but it bugged me a lot while watching that scene.

It's a bit of a weird reflection on the window in the scene towards the end, but I can't spot anything immediately weird about it, except it goes into position to look like Audrey clinging to Charlie's shoulder almost.

155e1a7e5ef73cddac1e885fa7f0445c.jpg

soundtest

Banned
Hm, so Candi is acting like Dougie at times and now Audrey seems to be in some sort of existential crisis. Doesnt seem improbable that maybe Audrey is in some sort of cooper sitch where she is possessing a body that isnt hers right now.

I guess we'll know in the next few episodes.

Blader

The constant assertion of "I don't like this thing, so everyone who does is clearly just fronting and will one day come around to my way of thinking" is really, really annoying.

Something isn't good or bad based on whether or not you like it.

Kalor

That ending was amazing. Overall it was a good episode. Audrey was the weakest part again but I'm curious where it's going.

soundtest

Banned

you know what, and someone can correct me, but her reflection doesnt move much at all during those scenes. Maybe she is actually not talking or actively moving, like Cooper was in the velvet room, and when we see her scenes we're seeing her inner thoughts and not what is actually happening.

To be fair, I am still convinced that Cooper coming back and being fine in the first 2/3rds of the season would end the series almost immediately. He's too damn good, knows too much and would resolve the main conflict almost immediately. The only other option would've been to leave him in the Lodge for brief snippets until the latter half of the season, but I'm still feeling the Dougie plot has some kind of purpose.

I don't think I disagree with you -- Cooper does need to be somehow sidelined for part of the season. But with Dougie, he's not sidelined -- he's fucking gone. Show us sometime of him, of his struggle to escape Dougie. If he were trapped in the Lodge, we could see his struggle to escape or affect the world. Instead we have literally nothing. That's the worst part of Dougie, is that is gives us nothing about Cooper except a shambling appreciation of coffee and pie.

This is a lot of nonsense. This season has been fantastic television. If you wanted rehash of Season 1, that was never going to happen. I for one am thankful that David Lynch isn't ready to be a nostalgia act. This is the furthest thing from Arrested Development Season 4, that was a pale imitation. This is taking Twin Peaks in new directions. You are free to not like it but the whole blindly defending it stuff is bullshit. Your opinion doesn't bestow or take away quality from something.

The entire defense around Arrested Development S4 was that the genius of it's non-linear presentation would only be truly revealed at the end, when you could piece together the out-of-order narrative and appreciate the inter-woven nature of it.

That did not happen. All you saw was the cut corners and compromises made because all the actors schedules did not line up.

People in this very thread have been defending the seemingly nonsensical scenes and pacing of this season as part of a greater plan or meaning that is as of yet not fully revealed. I think it's fair to compare to Arrested Development S4.

If your defense of Twin Peaks: The Return so far is "wait for the ending; it'll totally stick the landing" -- that does not seem like a good defense to me. I don't want a show that I fucking hate until it magically is revealed to be great with a perfect third act.

Shows where fans say "just stick it out, the end will make it all make sense" have never pulled that off. Just ask Lost fans and Battlestar Galactica fans -- both of which I count myself.

Spoiler: The Cylons did not have a plan, and neither did JJ Abrams.

Dusk Golem

you know what, and someone can correct me, but her reflection doesnt move much at all during those scenes. Maybe she is actually not talking or actively movie, like Cooper was in the velvet room, and when we see her scenes we're seeing her inner thoughts and not what is actually happening.

It doesn't move much, that's true despite when we see her she's moving around and being quite expressive.

And we see the same thing at the end of the episode when Big Ed is looking out at his gas station pumps and his reflection shows him sitting rather still eating soup staring at him despite the real Ed not even having the soup in his hand.

There's other weird reflection stuff like this too, and some of it had to be edited in to actually work like the Ed scene I just mentioned (plus that was the last shot of the episode), so it's definitely intentional to some degree at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom