• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakkus

Shit is starting to get really predictable. Did anyone really expect any other outcome to happen when evil Coop entered that place? At least we got some interesting information on Philip Jeffries, but that has only just made me sad again over Bowie dying and most likely did not record anything in this series beforehand.

Shit is starting to get really predictable. Did anyone really expect any other outcome to happen when evil Coop entered that place? At least we got some interesting information on Philip Jeffries, but that has only just made me sad again over Bowie dying and most likely did not record anything in this series beforehand.

Sure I expected Mr C to come out of their alive and Ray dead, but I didn't expect Mr C to punch the old Boss's face in after winning the arm wrestling match, let alone predict an arm wrestling match would occur at all. Not to mention stuff like the owl ring showing up.

For me, it's always more interesting how a story goes from A to B rather than that A and B occur at all.

Shit is starting to get really predictable.

I expected Ray to be dead episodes ago.

I didn't expect the arm wrestling thing. Nor how it went down. I didn't expect the face caved in. I *certainly* didn't expect Richard turning up.

But yes, Mr C killed Ray, finally. But I think we all thought that would have happened many episodes ago, since he found out Ray had been hired to kill him in Part 2.

mittelos

Sure I expected Mr C to come out of their alive and Ray dead, but I didn't expect Mr C to punch the old Boss's face in after winning the arm wrestling match, let alone predict an arm wrestling match would occur at all. Not to mention stuff like the owl ring showing up.

For me, it's always more interesting how a story goes from A to B rather than that A and B occur at all.
Yeah I didn't expect Richard to show up either, and I still think the wall-sized video display isn't getting enough love!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm like 90% sure Lynch is more interested in what takes places to lead A to B than just where it's all going as well.

Shit is starting to get really predictable. Did anyone really expect any other outcome to happen when evil Coop entered that place?

I think you have the wrong idea with how scenes like this work.

When Evil Coop enters that compound, the audience has more information than the residing gang does. We know that it's not Mr. C who is about to get into trouble, it's the gang. We know the most likely outcome will be very unfortunate for the guys who want to mess with him. The tension in this scene isn't just caused by wondering what's going to happen, but wondering how it's going to happen, because the viewer knows in all likelihood that the gang boss is doomed.

The gang boss punching Cooper in the back of the head might momentarily shake your expectation, because after all, we haven't seen Cooper in action since Bob has extracted. But generally this scene is about fulfilling expectations, not subverting it.

Twin Peaks Season 3, by design, places the viewer in a limited omniscient point of view. In any given plot, we have more information that most of the characters on screen, so we are going to have expectations for what is going to happen that the characters don't. This is a major source of tension in the show.

Evil Cooper, though, is the character we have the least insight to. He always has more information than the audience, which makes his motivates and behavior scary and mysterious. But we have learned in multiple instances that what Evil Cooper wants to happen, happens. That is what makes his character stressful to watch. When we see scenes with Evil Cooper, we know what's going to happen a lot of the time. It's not about if he gets what he wants, it's how he'll get it.

ActWan

Ho,ly,shit......such an amazing episode!!!
Lynch is such a genius, this episode was a real "emotional storm", especially in the ending, where I was laughing maniacally and then almost teared up.

Moff

that was one of the most twin peaks episodes ever
8KXgklt.gif

just pure joy

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Holy fuck. The episode is worth it thanks to the arm wrestling scene alone. Kyle MacLachlan's so fucking good this season. Mitchum bros are great too, I hope they have a presence the entire season. I also want some Super Mitchum Bros art, I wonder if anyone's done anything like that yet :D

I think you have the wrong idea with how scenes like this work.

When Evil Coop enters that compound, the audience has more information than the residing gang does. We know that it's not Mr. C who is about to get into trouble, it's the gang. We know the most likely outcome will be very unfortunate for the guys who want to mess with him. The tension in this scene isn't just caused by wondering what's going to happen, but wondering how it's going to happen, because the viewer knows in all likelihood that the gang boss is doomed.

The gang boss punching Cooper in the back of the head might momentarily shake your expectation, because after all, we haven't seen Cooper in action since Bob has extracted. But generally this scene is about fulfilling expectations, not subverting it.

Twin Peaks Season 3, by design, places the viewer in a limited omniscient point of view. In any given plot, we have more information that most of the characters on screen, so we are going to have expectations for what is going to happen that the characters don't. This is a major source of tension in the show.

Evil Cooper, though, is the character we have the least insight to. He always has more information than the audience, which makes his motivates and behavior scary and mysterious. But we have learned in multiple instances that what Evil Cooper wants to happen, happens. That is what makes his character stressful to watch. When we see scenes with Evil Cooper, we know what's going to happen a lot of the time. It's not about if he gets what he wants, it's how he'll get it.
These are great observations.

I've noticed that people accuse the show of spinning wheels when revealing plot that the audience already knows to characters in the show that didn't already know it, when that's actually moving plot forwards.

WE know what's happening in Vegas, even if the FBI crew don't yet. WE know why Dougie's prints came up as an escaped ex FBI agent in South Dakota, even if the Fuscos think it's a blatant mistake. If they find out that it isn't, the plot will have moved forwards, even though we already know that.

The characters getting closer to figuring it all out is plot moving forwards, whether we already knew about it or not.

Blader

So the owl ring

The implication from FWWM was that putting on the ring protects the wearer from being possessed by BOB. When Laura's in the train car and BOB is threatening to take her body, MIKE tosses the ring into the car. Laura puts it on and enrages BOB, who chooses to kill Laura instead.

In this episode, we see that the when someone wear the ring and dies, the ring not only returns to the Black Lodge, but takes its wearer with it.

Do we know/see what happened to the ring after BOB killed Laura? Is Laura in the lodge in the first place because she was wearing the ring when she died, and the ring brought her there? Is that why Cooper warns Laura not to put on the ring in FWWM, knowing that if she wears it and BOB kills her, she'll be trapped with him in the lodge?

g11

It's weird because I love OG Cooper and want him back, but I love Mr. C and Dougie too and don't want to lose them. David Lynch, you've put me in a quandary. QUANDARY!

Dusk Golem

It's weird how I see them as completely different persons whenever they show up, despite all of them being MacLachlan.

A big part of it is he does a lot of little things for each character, from the face to the eyes to the posture to gestures. Despite all of them being played by MacLachlan and him using the same voice for basically all the roles even, he's putting a lot of work into all of these roles and is quite honestly doing a fantastic job at it. In fact it might be part of this fantastic job which makes some people upset because he's almost too good at selling Dougie-Cooper as a different being than the Cooper we all know and love despite him even wearing Cooper's suit and going about as him.

One of my big take-always from this season is Kyle MacLachian is an amazing actor who's really been underutilized over the years. He's doing a tremendous job at selling himself as different characters. It would seem silly or hard to separate the characters from each other in most other instances, and I've had that trouble with shows that have done similar things with an actor playing multiple characters in a show. But he's completely sold me (and apparently most people since I haven't seen anyone complain about it) on these being completely different characters. It's telling my mind doesn't even wander into Dougie or Mr. C being the same person while I'm watching even in episodes they both have extensive scenes in.

So the owl ring

The implication from FWWM was that putting on the ring protects the wearer from being possessed by BOB. When Laura's in the train car and BOB is threatening to take her body, MIKE tosses the ring into the car. Laura puts it on and enrages BOB, who chooses to kill Laura instead.

In this episode, we see that the when someone wear the ring and dies, the ring not only returns to the Black Lodge, but takes its wearer with it.

Do we know/see what happened to the ring after BOB killed Laura? Is Laura in the lodge in the first place because she was wearing the ring when she died, and the ring brought her there? Is that why Cooper warns Laura not to put on the ring in FWWM, knowing that if she wears it and BOB kills her, she'll be trapped with him in the lodge?
I've always felt that the ring heralds death for the wearer and that Laura chose death by putting on the ring, vs being possessed by Bob.

To me, 'Don't make me do this!' was directed at Laura, NOT from Leland directed at Bob.

That's why Coop warns Laura *not* to wear the ring. He doesn't want to see her killed, even if that was ultimately the right thing for her to do. If it offers protection, why would our hero tell Laura not to take the ring?

Learning that it brings victims to the lodge was a great detail. Presumably it's been back and forth who knows how many times. No one took Teresa's ring, but someone returned it to the mound beneath her trailer. And presumably it came back with Chet, before Mike brought it back out.

Levito

Banned
*pokes in thread*

People that have put on the ring....

Theresa Banks: Dead

Chester Desmond: Missing

Mike: Alive(?)--he's not a human to begin with so idk

Laura: Dead

Annie: status unknown

Nurse: status unknown

(The real) Dougie Jones: Dead

Ray: Dead

The arm said "with this ring, I thee wed"--I think whoever wears it forms a contract with the black lodge of sorts. Sooner or later they'll die and be brought to that place.

*pokes in thread*

Mike: Alive but he's not a human to begin with

The arm said "with this ring, I thee wed"--I think whoever wears it forms a contract with the black lodge of sorts. Sooner or later they'll die and be brought to that place.
Is Philip Gerard alive though?

I mean I'm presuming he isn't since we haven't seen him this series. So, I'd go 'Philip Gerard: Dead'.

Dusk Golem

*pokes in thread*

Mike: Alive but he's not a human to begin with

Don't forget Richard Nixon, Dougie Milford (from the original series), and Meriwether Lewis (aka Lewis and Clarke).

Levito

Banned
Someone pointed it out a while back but Mr. C probably got the ring Annie brought out when he went to the hospital way back. That's probably why Dougie Jones had it.

Don't forget Richard Nixon, Dougie Milford (from the original series), and Meriwether Lewis (aka Lewis and Clarke).

I still haven't read secret history...

Yup, him too. Though to be fair Dougie Millford was in the original series, just it wasn't clarified he had the ring before until Secret History.

Well it's almost certainly a retcon, but it works.

I don't believe the ring you can see in season 2 was anything like the same one, but it's too hard to say for certain, so it works nicely.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
James' song was always cool

Edit: I bet James is like a Pokemon now and his only means of communicating is singing the song :lol

Are you guys shitting me?
Mr. C is amazing and the strong arm contest was tight

I think GAF remains a bit more positive than the average (admittedly still positive) reactions I'm seeing elsewhere. For some reason we seem to lean more towards fans of Lynch in general than specifically fans of the TV show Twin Peaks.

Airola

I mean, honest question here...

Has there been any bad scenes with Mr. C in them in your guy's opinion?

I didn't quite care for his introduction at first. But that was because of my expectations. I felt the character was corny as hell, but I did laugh when the "gun hits his own head" gag happened.

And I still wasn't quite sure what to think about him when he was driving in the desert, sweating, and looking like he had a fake tan on.

And some of the things he said in the first few episodes weren't that good either.

But other than that I've liked the character and he has become increasingly more interesting.

Hmmn. Gosh best thing about the show right now...

Kyle. All of the Kyles. He disappears into every role they've given him and has committed so fully to Mr C and Dougie that I don't even comprehend them as played by the same actor when watching the show.

He earns that Starring credit, as much as we might joke about it sometimes when he's barely in an episode.

I'm limiting myself to just one thing, because otherwise it'd get silly.

Though for anyone curious, somebody did take two pictures to prove that Part 14 was uploaded, the first one doesn't have any real spoilers, second one isn't really a spoiler but alludes to something pretty heavy if true. Both are by the same user.

First picture has no spoilers, second picture is from the roadhouse scene of the episode but screencaps something that if true is a PRETTY HEAVY ALLUSION towards something:

Non-Spoiler 'Proof' Screenshot someone took to show that Part 14 being uploaded in Germany on accident is real: https://i.gyazo.com/88e82348176b3909cf3f6a583f614b8e.png

Second screen, it's from the roadhouse scene but shows a part of it that alludes to something potentially big you (and maybe I) wouldn't want to know before seeing the episode if it's true: https://i.gyazo.com/930f869587e2c1ec2cd79bde2045cfe5.png

But all I'll look at and post, going to avoid any more spoilers.

I instantly regret clicking that.

And yet he hasn't played Philip Gerard in the new series as of yet. He has only played Mike, which I find incredibly interesting.

I was really hoping someone would grab a hold of that set up.

I'm not sure he plays MIKE, he's too calm (and not using his spooky voice).

I was looking at the FWWM script for the Convenience Store scene earlier (I'm trying to figure out who the crazy black haired/black lipstick guy was) and The Arm is called MIKE in those scenes.

I instantly regret clicking that.

You. Annnnnnd IIIIIIII.

Regretting...

Clicking the spoiler link.

Holy shit.

This bit from AV Club's most recent review (of Part 13) speaks to me.

AV Club said:
It almost feels futile to assign letter grades to these reviews—partly because having Twin Peaks back is such a gift, it feels churlish to rank the episodes so baldly, and partly because, more than most television, each episode will evoke a different response from different viewers. But whether you revel in the revival, find it tedious, or even feel pangs of pain watching it, “The Return, Part 13” demonstrates once again that Frost and Lynch are completely in control of this exercise. As Muddy (Frank Collison) tells Dark Coop, “So you decide. You stay and play the game, it’s your choice.”

Slaythe

Though for anyone curious, somebody did take two pictures to prove that Part 14 was uploaded, the first one doesn't have any real spoilers, second one isn't really a spoiler but alludes to something pretty heavy if true. Both are by the same user.

First picture has no spoilers, second picture is from the roadhouse scene of the episode but screencaps something that if true is a PRETTY HEAVY ALLUSION towards something:

Non-Spoiler 'Proof' Screenshot someone took to show that Part 14 being uploaded in Germany on accident is real: https://i.gyazo.com/88e82348176b3909cf3f6a583f614b8e.png

Second screen, it's from the roadhouse scene but shows a part of it that alludes to something potentially big you (and maybe I) wouldn't want to know before seeing the episode if it's true: https://i.gyazo.com/930f869587e2c1ec2cd79bde2045cfe5.png

But all I'll look at and post, going to avoid any more spoilers.

I clicked.

No matter what happens I lose.

It happens, I got it spoiled. It doesn't happen, my expectations will crush my heart.

Fuck.

Joqu

I'm not sure he plays MIKE, he's too calm (and not using his spooky voice).

I was looking at the FWWM script for the Convenience Store scene earlier (I'm trying to figure out who the crazy black haired/black lipstick guy was) and The Arm is called MIKE in those scenes.

I haven't been sure he's playing MIKE either, his demeanor is completely different. But Gerard being stuck in the lodge doesn't make much sense to me with the way it's presented, especially with all the kinds of lodge knowledge he seems to posses as one would expect from MIKE. It's a weird one, I've been really waiting for him to get spooky again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom