• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolishQ

So the owl ring

The implication from FWWM was that putting on the ring protects the wearer from being possessed by BOB. When Laura's in the train car and BOB is threatening to take her body, MIKE tosses the ring into the car. Laura puts it on and enrages BOB, who chooses to kill Laura instead.

In this episode, we see that the when someone wear the ring and dies, the ring not only returns to the Black Lodge, but takes its wearer with it.

Do we know/see what happened to the ring after BOB killed Laura? Is Laura in the lodge in the first place because she was wearing the ring when she died, and the ring brought her there? Is that why Cooper warns Laura not to put on the ring in FWWM, knowing that if she wears it and BOB kills her, she'll be trapped with him in the lodge?

The simplest explanation is that if you wear the ring, the Black Lodge owns your soul.

Note that Ray's physical body isn't transported to the Lodge; his soul is. Just like Laura's soul was transported there but her corpse remained in the real world.

What happened to Ray (and Laura, and Teresa Banks) is distinct from what happened to Dougie. Dougie's still-living physical body was pulled into the Lodge. This also may be what happened to Chet Desmond.

Speaking of the ring, does the fact that Ray had it imply that MIKE is the Philip Jeffries impostor? Dougie had the ring, it returned to the Lodge when Dougie was pulled in, and then presumably MIKE gave it to Ray. This would go along with fake-Jeffries saying "I'll be with BOB again."

You. Annnnnnd IIIIIIII.

Regretting...

Clicking the spoiler link.

Holy shit.

giphy.gif

Levito

Banned
The worst part was "What's so spoilery about tha..... oh. Fuck."

Well, you know what they say about the temptation of looking up spoilers....

Though nothing, will drive them away
We can beat them, just for one day

^Don't click this unless you clicked the actual spoiler (Lol)

There must be a copy in the wild. I need to see this now. NOW I TELL YE.

To be fair, the attention of that young lady has made me contemplate going busking with a rendition of James Hurley's classic hit to see if I can get a slice of the magic.

g11

I mean, honest question here...

Has there been any bad scenes with Mr. C in them in your guy's opinion?

It wasn't bad but the one scene in the dinner with Mr. C, Ray, Darya and Jack was probably "the low point" of Mr. C scenes. I'd still like to know why he was massaging Jack's face before he killed him. That seemed...strange.

He's a great character though. Arguably the best villain in Twin Peaks history. In fact pretty much the only way I'd be okay with The Return not wrapping up things at the end is if it meant a whole season of Cooper v. Mr. C but that's firmly in the slim to no chance category I'd wager.

Do we have any kind of idea what the budget of this season is? I know I shouldn't get my hopes up for another season but I can't imagine The Return is prohibitively expensive compared to most other premium cable shows these days.

Linkin112

The thing that interests me the most about that spoiler is
it has to be new footage because right below the "In Memory of" section is typically where they mention "FWWM footage provided by blah blah blah" iirc

I liked James' song. Wasn't it made for laura in the earlier seasons?

Not sure if it was for Laura or Donna. He sung it with Maddie and Donna, and while he and Donna leave the room over a lover's tiff, Maddie (and the audience) gets this nightmare fuel..

giphy.gif

I can share (and tag) my plot spoiler from earlier if the house requests it. Personally, I'd save it but just putting it out there.

DJ Gunner

Mr. C scenes start to finish were awesome. Richard showing up was totally unexpected, trying to figure out what the implications are there. The Audrey stuff last week was painful to watch, this week was much more....like, okay, she's either dreaming, or in some sort of "in between".

James Hurley singing "Just You" was amazing, on so many levels. Fuck the haters, James is king.

Levito

Banned
The thing that interests me the most about that spoiler is
it has to be new footage because right below the "In Memory of" section is typically where they mention "FWWM footage provided by blah blah blah" iirc

I wouldn't quite jump to that conclusion yet, for all we know it could just be the Missing Pieces footage or something.

KillySG10

Neo Member
Random speculation:

The Dutchmans is the place with the 'dirty bearded men', connected to the Tremonds, The Jumping Man, BOB, MIKE etc, possibly the place 'above a convenience store. Still no idea if the store is in the real world or a lodge/purple world location.

The Philip Jeffries involved in current event is a doppelganger, as are all the woodsmen/'dirty bearded men'.

Why are they doppelgangers? Doppelcoops appearance is getting grimier, note his hands during the arm wrestling, plus the ridiculous strength is consistent with the 1956 Woodsman. Perhaps they are doppelgangers whose counterparts have died, i really don't know.

I almost feel as though speculation is pointless though, given its Lynch and things are never what they seem.

big ander

"Just You" is incredible. that scene in s2 is one of my absolute favorites. hearing it last night wasn't much more than a nostalgia trip but what a great nostalgia trip.

James' performance is the new funniest scene in Season 3. I was just laughing and grinning the whole time thinking Frost and Lynch knows what the audience thought of that song and are now playing it straight once again complete with a woman crying at his pained soulful performance. And the fucking 'Ladies and Gentlemen, the Roadhouse is proud to present...James Hurley." and then the high pitched singing commenced.

Also my new favorite end credits sequence. It kinda encapsulates how the old Twin Peaks has aged. Big Ed's gas farm is pretty quiet and Ed's just sitting there eating his soup watching cars pass by in the night. These people used to have so much drama in their lives and now they just sit around recording receipts and burning matches.

Arkanius

Though for anyone curious, somebody did take two pictures to prove that Part 14 was uploaded, the first one doesn't have any real spoilers, second one isn't really a spoiler but alludes to something pretty heavy if true. Both are by the same user.

First picture has no spoilers, second picture is from the roadhouse scene of the episode but screencaps something that if true is a PRETTY HEAVY ALLUSION towards something:

Non-Spoiler 'Proof' Screenshot someone took to show that Part 14 being uploaded in Germany on accident is real: https://i.gyazo.com/88e82348176b3909cf3f6a583f614b8e.png

Second screen, it's from the roadhouse scene but shows a part of it that alludes to something potentially big you (and maybe I) wouldn't want to know before seeing the episode if it's true: https://i.gyazo.com/930f869587e2c1ec2cd79bde2045cfe5.png

But all I'll look at and post, going to avoid any more spoilers.

Don't get your hopes up people...

sonto340

This episode was great fun until the last 20 minutes, where it turned to total garbage. Again.
Hope you don’t enjoy the pay off for the sarah Palmer stuff or whatever’s going on with Audrey then.
Everything was clearly setting up something.

HotHamBoy

So the owl ring

The implication from FWWM was that putting on the ring protects the wearer from being possessed by BOB. When Laura's in the train car and BOB is threatening to take her body, MIKE tosses the ring into the car. Laura puts it on and enrages BOB, who chooses to kill Laura instead.

In this episode, we see that the when someone wear the ring and dies, the ring not only returns to the Black Lodge, but takes its wearer with it.

Do we know/see what happened to the ring after BOB killed Laura? Is Laura in the lodge in the first place because she was wearing the ring when she died, and the ring brought her there? Is that why Cooper warns Laura not to put on the ring in FWWM, knowing that if she wears it and BOB kills her, she'll be trapped with him in the lodge?

No, the ring is bad news. People who wear the ring die. Cooper says, "Don't take the ring!" in Laura's dream during FWWM.

Rewatching.

Bad Coop's skin is noticeably less tanned.

Also while Ray and the gang are discussing his arrival in front of the screen, you can hear Bad Coop say "Ray? Are you in here? Come to see ya buddy" in that amusing voice he puts on when he's trying to be "normal".

I love this arm wrasslin' club scene in general, it's great.

Mr. Doop

Though for anyone curious, somebody did take two pictures to prove that Part 14 was uploaded, the first one doesn't have any real spoilers, second one isn't really a spoiler but alludes to something pretty heavy if true. Both are by the same user.

First picture has no spoilers, second picture is from the roadhouse scene of the episode but screencaps something that if true is a PRETTY HEAVY ALLUSION towards something:

Non-Spoiler 'Proof' Screenshot someone took to show that Part 14 being uploaded in Germany on accident is real: https://i.gyazo.com/88e82348176b3909cf3f6a583f614b8e.png

Second screen, it's from the roadhouse scene but shows a part of it that alludes to something potentially big you (and maybe I) wouldn't want to know before seeing the episode if it's true: https://i.gyazo.com/930f869587e2c1ec2cd79bde2045cfe5.png

But all I'll look at and post, going to avoid any more spoilers.

I really need to stop clicking on every link I see without thinking about it. Oh well, next episode's probably going to be pretty great.

Anyways, I finally watched Eraserhead this morning. It was quite spooky. I don't really know how to feel about it.

I really need to stop clicking on every link I see without thinking about it. Oh well, next episode's probably going to be pretty great.

Anyways, I finally watched Eraserhead this morning. It was quite spooky. I don't really know how to feel about it.

Been meaning to watch my Criterion Blu-ray of that. Saw a print of it that was in really bad condition in film school, and loved it. People always set me up to expect an incredibly dense hard to follow plot, but it just seemed like a surreal portrayal of a new father's stress. Surprisingly funny too.

Blader

No, the ring is bad news. People who wear the ring die. Cooper says, "Don't take the ring!" in Laura's dream during FWWM.

I know the ring is bad news. :p I said Cooper tells Laura not to take the ring in FWWM, I'm just wondering what about the ring prompted that reaction. Is it, like PolishQ said, that the ring ties the wearer's soul to the lodge ("with this ring, I thee wed") and takes them there after they die? Was Cooper telling Laura not to put on the ring because he knew that if BOB couldn't possess her, he'd kill her? Or was it because if Laura wears the ring when BOB kills her, her soul will be taken to the lodge and trapped, like he is?

Rewatching.

Bad Coop's skin is noticeably less tanned.

Well he did just die!

Mr. Doop

Been meaning to watch my Criterion Blu-ray of that. Saw a print of it that was in really bad condition in film school, and loved it. People always set me up to expect an incredibly dense hard to follow plot, but it just seemed like a surreal portrayal of a new father's stress. Surprisingly funny too.

Yeah, I was surprised at how little actually happened. The plot isn't super complicated, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of the imagery was super striking and interesting just to watch.

Well he did just die!

I thought it was worth mentioning because speculation that it's actually Bad Coop in the trailer in a suit driving is usually rebuked because his skin isn't tanned.

Less tanned? His arm was like leather.

Looked more dirty (from his Woodsman experience) than tanned.

pls stop tempting me with those spoilers, y'all's reactions are making it sound like such a big deal

;___;

Don't do it man! Resist.

Levito

Banned
Yeah that spoiler is fucking huge, I really would not recommend it. I only did cause I'm an idiot and thought it'd be a fake/troll image. Nope.

Do not click the spoiler, Laura. Don't click the Spoiler.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
On Eraserhead, the Lady in the Radiator I know most think is a representation of acceptance/death, but I never agreed with that viewpoint.

But I always took the Lady of the Radiator to be more menacing, not telling Henry to kill himself but rather to kill the baby. The Lady in the Radiator has chubby cheeks which often is a representation of a 'baby face', and she's showing that people who die young go to heaven, and it's fine. The baby is eating Henry from the inside and her role is not for him to kill himself but for him to not let the baby take over his life and it's okay to put it to rest.

I have debates if the movie is about literal fatherhood or something more abstract though... Sorry, was randomly reflecting since Eraserhead was mentioned and guess my mind is in a wandering place right now.

On Eraserhead, the Lady in the Radiator I know most think is a representation of acceptance/death, but I never agreed with that viewpoint.

But I always took the Lady of the Radiator to be more menacing, not telling Henry to kill himself but rather to kill the baby. The Lady in the Radiator has chubby cheeks which often is a representation of a 'baby face', and she's showing that people who die young go to heaven, and it's fine. The baby is eating Henry from the inside and her role is not for him to kill himself but for him to not let the baby take over his life and it's okay to put it to rest.

I have debates if the movie is about literal fatherhood or something more abstract though... Sorry, was randomly reflecting since Eraserhead was mentioned and guess my mind is in a wandering place right now.

I could go along with this read. She stomps on the sperm, and everything.

About the spoiler image:
If the image is indeed accurate, and it's an actual onscreen role from a certain actor who was unannounced beforehand... why did it have to be this episode of all episodes to get leaked?

Why couldn't they have just jumped the gun on EP12 or EP13 instead? I enjoyed those episodes, but there weren't any "megatons" in those had they been the ones to get leaked.

Levito

Banned
About the spoiler image:
If the image is indeed accurate, and it's an actual onscreen role from a certain actor who was unannounced beforehand... why did it have to be this episode of all episodes to get leaked?

Why couldn't they have just jumped the gun on EP12 or EP13 instead? I enjoyed those episodes, but there weren't any "megatons" in those had they been the ones to get leaked.

Well, it was a streaming service in Germany that leaked it, so that part is true.(Apparently they uploading 14 and didn't upload 13)

As for contents of the screens, it's all stuff not seen in previous episodes.

I'm fairly certain that Twin Peaks gave Crave TV in Canada a ton of new subs. Shit I hadn't even heard of the service until I heard it was the only place I could legally stream it.

Joqu

Don't do it man! Resist.

DON'T TAKE THE RING LAURA.

Yeah that spoiler is fucking huge, I really would not recommend it. I only did cause I'm an idiot and thought it'd be a fake/troll image. Nope.

Do not click the spoiler, Laura. Don't click the Spoiler.

Damn guys. I don't know. To be possessed by BOB or to get spoiled...

Here's the appropriate music to this thread right now.

Seriously though, I think I'm gonna avoid that then. D:

Dusk Golem

That's good to hear.

Lowdown of the article is CBS did quite a bit better than they projected they would do in the fiscal year in what they earned and their revenue, they exceeded Wallstreet's profit estimate they had and ended up making around 10% more profit than estimated through all of their money making methods than they had projected, and the biggest area of growth and why they surpassed it was because in Showtime's subscriptions, which boosted dramatically with Twin Peaks airing. The CEO of Showtime specifically says Twin Peaks 'dramatically' helped them make this goal.

So yeah, Twin Peaks helped boost them to do way better than they expected, which is incredibly good news for any fan. It basically means a significant portion of their earnings this fiscal year was because of Twin Peaks, and that makes it much more likely that if there's a case that Lynch wants to make more Twin Peaks, they more than likely will support it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, when James started singing. I almost started tearing up. From how terrible it was. Was that actually him singing? Sounded so wrong. And bad. Don't get me wrong, all musical performances have been absolute ass (especially NIN - wow, that was bad), and it always feels pointless and out of place. But this was REALLY bad. I don't know, maybe that's the point. Or maybe Lynch just has hilariously bad taste in music. Which is fine.

Decent episode overall though.

Dusk Golem

Wow, when James started singing. I almost started tearing up. From how terrible it was. Was that actually him singing? Sounded so wrong. And bad. Don't get me wrong, all musical performances have been absolute ass (especially NIN - wow, that was bad), and it always feels pointless and out of place. But this was REALLY bad. I don't know, maybe that's the point. Or maybe Lynch just has hilariously bad taste in music. Which is fine.

It's from the original series.

And it's hilarious.

Corpsepyre

Banned

NIN, Chromatics, Au Revoir Simone were fucking excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom