• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
MFW vacillating between waiting for it to be Sunday and looking for Part 14 leaks every night this week, but I have to wake up in the morning and pretend everything is fine.

S7sGYCy.gif

Joqu

Dunno if this is actually something, but Wicked Jazz on reddit compared the woodsmen "this is the water and this is the well" radio speech with the boxing match in Sarah's house, it syncs up pretty well for the first few loops and it's pretty eerie: https://viewsync.net/watch?v=Ir8s6IGq2Hs&t=0&v=_8bGQbQm-Gs&t=1.25&mode=solo

I guess it might be a coincidence? but I thought the pace felt familiar.

Yall reaching HEAVILY with that owl business.

With the mirrors? I don't think they are, but it was that way in FWWM too. So it's nothing new.

Ashby

I love when Tom Sizemore was sobbing and saying he wanted to confess-and Dougie said "Confess."

👌

"Thank you, Dougie!"
"Thank Dougie."
Dougie was so self satisfied when he said that. That was some Coop peaking through. He always relished in twisting the screws on his "suspects." Remember "She never loved you anyway"?

kaskade

I was wondering if they didn't make such a big stink about Norma's pie being so good for a reason. The way Dougie seems to be seeking out cherry pie makes me wonder if one of Norma's pies doesn't end up triggering Coop's mind coming back.

Prediction: This goes down in Part 15.

I've been of the mindset that the cherry pie and coffee will start bringing him back (as most have). It makes sense that the best coffee and cherry pie are the ones that have to do it. Don't really know why I haven't thought that it has to be Norma's before.

We better god damn hope that Norma sticks to her guns and doesn't change the recipe.

Really liked this comment someone made on the review for the last episode:

I think Lynch has done an excellent job of painting this picture of loss and decline. The original series was pretty much presenting a picture of small town America and showing the hidden darkness within, and it culminates with that darkness escaping (quite literally).

And this is basically a show about what happens when 25 years have passed with this kind of darkness in the world. When the moral compass and child like innocence of a Dale Cooper is no longer present, and there's no longer someone like Laura Palmer to resist it.

And you get a Twin Peaks overrun by drugs and corrupt cops. A logging town where there's no longer a mill. Slightly off-brand cherry pie tainted by regional expansion. Tragedies repeating themself in the case of Shelly and Becky. Guys who run down children in the street while people stand by with their phones filming the whole thing. The inability after all these years for Big Ed, Norma, and Nadine to find any happiness. Jacoby going from a philosophy of peace and love to one of anger and hate.

You have Carl as this kind of this last embodiment of morality and decency but so worn down by life he can't affect change on any great scale, he can just be decent in the moment.

It's building to this crescendo of a world that needs Dale Cooper. The question is whether Lynch will give it to us.

Airola

I've been of the mindset that the cherry pie and coffee will start bringing him back (as most have). It makes sense that the best coffee and cherry pie are the ones that have to do it. Don't really know why I haven't thought that it has to be Norma's before.

We better god damn hope that Norma sticks to her guns and doesn't change the recipe.

Lol, now that would be something!

We see Dougie to be taken to the RR. There's the perfect cherry pie. We anticipate Dougie eating it. We anticipate him 'changing' into Cooper because of that.

Then Dougie eats it.

And...

We are told Norma changed the recipe because of pressure. And Dougie remains the same for the rest of the season.

:D

But who has the better coffee? The RR or the Great Northern? Cooper really loved the Great Northern coffee, too. I don't remember the exact line, but I think in his dictation to Diane in one of the first couple episodes of season 1, he called the one at the Great Northern the best coffee he ever had.

I agree they spent a lot of time on Norma's pie. Specifically the fresh locally sourced ingredients being the difference maker. That can't have been to just show big Ed is jealous

Levito

Banned
So last night I finally watched Eraserhead and what was severely fucked and I loved it.

Still trying to get through every Lynch film before the season 3 finale. I've got The Straight Story, The Elephant Man, and Inland Empire left.

mittelos

So last night I finally watched Eraserhead and what was severely fucked and I loved it.

Still trying to get through every Lynch film before the season 3 finale. I've got The Straight Story, The Elephant Man, and Inland Empire left.
I've been doing the same- I've seen a lot of them but it's been several years or longer in most cases, and for some- like Elephant Man- I didn't even know until recently that Lynch was the director. Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway were great, I can't find Inland Empire available for streaming though, need to track down a physical copy.

Elephant Man is great, never actually watched Straight Story though.

Inland Empire is a nightmare. Extremely ugly film and the only Lynch film I've seen that I really hate. Never watched Dune.

Haha I need to know what you think of your first viewing of Inland Empire. It's basically the cinematic equivalent of your brain swallowing itself.

Levito

Banned
Dune is really bad. It was actually the first Lynch movie I saw cause I was a fan of the book when I was younger. Pretty rough adaptation honestly, Lynch himself hates it too.

I haven't seen The Straight Story but it's actually a Disney film, and really critically acclaimed.

Haha I need to know what you think of your first viewing of Inland Empire. It's basically the cinematic equivalent of your brain swallowing itself.

Yeah I keep hearing similar sentiments. Trying to find a good time to sit down for three hours and be mindfucked.

Linkin112

Lol, now that would be something!

We see Dougie to be taken to the RR. There's the perfect cherry pie. We anticipate Dougie eating it. We anticipate him 'changing' into Cooper because of that.

Then Dougie eats it.

And...

We are told Norma changed the recipe because of pressure. And Dougie remains the same for the rest of the season.

:D
I feel like that would go past the point of being funny to me. The Fuscos throwing away Cooper's print results was one thing, this would be too much lol

Chitown B

There's a guy on Reddit theorising that we might have seen parts of the finale or the more important bits already in earlier episodes, given things are non linear. What do you make of that ?

actually that's not a given. It's been speculation that lately some things were not linear, but overall the season has been linear and there's been no concrete proof anything is out of order. All except the very first scene of the season.

The Straight Story is wonderful and is basically one of those 90's inspirational Disney flicks but made by Lynch. His "toolset" of film techniques were largely refined by this point in his career, and his trademarks are all over the movie. These include his love for quirky characters and small towns, sentiment, and his incredible sound design. For all of his talents, I believe his ability to shape sound is my favorite. He can make a scene of a guy veering off-road on his lawnmower sound like something out of my nightmares. It's top tier Lynch.

actually that's not a given. It's been speculation that lately some things were not linear, but overall the season has been linear and there's been no concrete proof anything is out of order. All except the very first scene of the season.

I think Becky's last few scenes - from the fight with Steven to her phone call with Shelly this week - have played out in reverse though.

Edit - in fact, that's probably the point. It's a vicious cycle - her scenes can be played in any order (apart from when Bobby has to go and tend to a kid with a gun, a crazy screaming driver and her zombie vomit child passenger). Net result is the same and the cycle continues.

I think the only scenes we've seen from close to the end are the opening scene with Coop and ???????, and Hawk at the Grove. Oh, and I would wager Part 8, while mostly set in the past, is foreshadowing the end of the season (is it future or is it past?).

PolishQ

I think Becky's last few scenes - from the fight with Steven to her phone call with Shelly this week - have played out in reverse though.

Edit - in fact, that's probably the point. It's a vicious cycle - her scenes can be played in any order (apart from when Bobby has to go and tend to a kid with a gun, a crazy screaming driver and her zombie vomit child passenger). Net result is the same and the cycle continues.

I think the only scenes we've seen from close to the end are the opening scene with Coop and ???????, and Hawk at the Grove. Oh, and I would wager Part 8, while mostly set in the past, is foreshadowing the end of the season (is it future or is it past?).

I'm not convinced that Hawk at the Grove is out of sequence. Yes, it's weird how he says "something is supposed to be happening" and it's weird how he never brings it up again... but I don't think the coordinates point to the Grove, and I don't think it'll be part of the finale. I think somehow Hawk was tuned into something at the time when Cooper was supposed to be released from the Lodge, but Cooper never came out that night.

If the coordinates pointed to the Grove, Evil Cooper wouldn't need the coordinates.

Meesh

K so... I could be in the high gaf thread, or the drunk thread... but I landed here, in Twin Peaks thread. The reasons are twofold, first I'm high and slightly drunk...and like this new Twin Peaks. The other is I was re watching episode one with my GF and she says... we should probably watch this stoned.
I can only confirm ... that she liked it and wants to see episode 2. I can also confirm that at least for me, smoking a joint before this show does the opposite of what I want! Lol. Maybe I should try again with episode 2 cuz I haven't seen it...?

I'm not convinced that Hawk at the Grove is out of sequence. Yes, it's weird how he says "something is supposed to be happening" and it's weird how he never brings it up again... but I don't think the coordinates point to the Grove, and I don't think it'll be part of the finale. I think somehow Hawk was tuned into something at the time when Cooper was supposed to be released from the Lodge, but Cooper never came out that night.

If the coordinates pointed to the Grove, Evil Cooper wouldn't need the coordinates.

I don't think it's the jack rabbits palace or coordinates related, but I still think it's towards the end of the story.

I'm half expecting the bluray release to come with a linear edit at this point.

K so... I could be in the high gaf thread, or the drunk thread... but I landed here, in Twin Peaks thread. The reasons are twofold, first I'm high and slightly drunk...and like this new Twin Peaks. The other is I was re watching episode one with my GF and she says... we should probably watch this stoned.
I can only confirm ... that she liked it and wants to see episode 2. I can also confirm that at least for me, smoking a joint before this show does the opposite of what I want! Lol. Maybe I should try again with episode 2 cuz I haven't seen it...?

Smoke some seriously twisted skunk and watch part 8.

Try again, definitely.

The key being mailed to the Great Northern kinda disproves it, but I wonder if the whole town of Twin Peaks is in some kind of time loop/spacial anomaly and can't be found without specific coordinates. Why wouldn't Albert just say "hey these coordinates point to Twin Peaks, the last case that Cooper worked was there." instead of just saying somewhere in the pacific northwest?

Levito

Banned
The key being mailed to the Great Northern kinda disproves it, but I wonder if the whole town of Twin Peaks is in some kind of time loop/spacial anomaly and can't be found without specific coordinates. Why wouldn't Albert just say "hey these coordinates point to Twin Peaks, the last case that Cooper worked was there." instead of just saying somewhere in the pacific northwest?

I think Albert was wary to speak openly in front of Diane.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The one scene that I can recall, that I don't see a lot of debate over, is Hawk's scene in the forest where he's on call wiht Log Lady, and he approaches the entrance to the Black Lodge. We do see red curtains appear there. Now that we know scenes are being shown out of order, this could very well be a really important bit and could play into the later episodes. What do you some of you think?

EDIT: Just saw it being discussed up there. My bad.

Chitown B

The one scene that I can recall, that I don't see a lot of debate over, is Hawk's scene in the forest where he's on call wiht Log Lady, and he approaches the entrance to the Black Lodge. We do see red curtains appear there. Now that we know scenes are being shown out of order, this could very well be a really important bit and could play into the later episodes. What do you some of you think?

EDIT: Just saw it being discussed up there. My bad.

now that we know? how do we know this?

Chitown B

It's obvious, isn't it? Bobby's scene is one. There are most likely others too. Even if there's no concrete evidence, there's good reason to believe it's the case. Atleast for how I saw it.

I don't think it's obvious enough to be proven. Bobby's scene doesn't connect to anything else. It could be anytime.

Chitown B

Meh. I'm in the camp of "people are overthinking things" with that. Very likely he couldn't fit everything into episodes where he had to stop at 59 minutes and he still wanting to use them in a narrative. At least with most of it. The loop in the Palmer house with the TV is an actual loop. The thing with baseball and Dougie likely just means he went home after the dinner. Then the next day, they went and got Dougie and brought him into work - when it was the next work day and his boss was there.

It's obvious, isn't it? Bobby's scene is one. There are most likely others too. Even if there's no concrete evidence, there's good reason to believe it's the case. Atleast for how I saw it.

It's not obvious. It's possible, I suppose. But Bobby's comment if you ask me is likely a continuity error in the editing/placement of the scene. Just like Dougie playing catch with Sonny Jim in episode 12 yet coming back from an all nighter on episode 13.

Kerned

Banned
It's not obvious. It's possible, I suppose. But Bobby's comment if you ask me is likely a continuity error in the editing/placement of the scene. Just like Dougie playing catch with Sonny Jim in episode 12 yet coming back from an all nighter on episode 13.

Bobby's comment being a continuity error doesn't make a lot of sense to me. There is no reason for Bobby to be in that scene, let alone to mention the stuff of his dad's that they found. It feels like a very deliberate hint from Lynch that we aren't always being given the story in sequence. How much is out of sequence? Why? Will the payoff be satisfying? Those are the questions I am most interested in at this point.

Bobby's comment being a continuity error doesn't make a lot of sense to me. There is no reason for Bobby to be in that scene, let alone to mention the stuff of his dad's that they found. It feels like a very deliberate hint from Lynch that we aren't always being given the story in sequence. How much is out of sequence? Why? Will the payoff be satisfying? Those are the questions I am most interested in at this point.

Bobby is in that scene because it was written to take place earlier in the story. But in the edit they decided it would work better where they put it. Probably because there isn't much story with Big Ed and whatever is happening with Norma and the Diner, and decided to hold those characters and events further back, rather than starting them off a month or more before they become relevant again.

They didn't have any reshoots or ADR budgeted it appears, so the line where Bobby refers to it being the same day he found the pipe stays in. It's a minor detail.

Not everything is a curated decision. In a show of this ambition with this budget, there will be times where a creative choice, has a downside that isn't deemed large enough not to go ahead with it.

All IMHO.

mittelos

There's a good discussion on this week's Diane podcast (I really enjoy their podcast) regarding the scenes that are out of order- basically yeah it's very possible or probable that it's not due to a purposeful time "twist" but just Lynch and Frost re-arranging some stuff in editing because they liked it better, and also Lynch generally not being concerned about time cohesion.

Blader

I don't think the curtains appearing at the grove were meant to show Hawk was seeing the Black Lodge open; rather it was for the audience to see that the lodge was opening again.

Meh. I'm in the camp of "people are overthinking things" with that. Very likely he couldn't fit everything into episodes where he had to stop at 59 minutes and he still wanting to use them in a narrative. At least with most of it. The loop in the Palmer house with the TV is an actual loop. The thing with baseball and Dougie likely just means he went home after the dinner. Then the next day, they went and got Dougie and brought him into work - when it was the next work day and his boss was there.

Janey says that Dougie didn't come home the night before. Unintentionally or intentionally I believe it's out of sequence. Most of the episode feels out sequence for me, but the baseball scene I'm confident on.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I also believe that there some intended fuckery with the time. It makes more sense then sloppy editing and budget problems. It would not be the first time Lynch fucks around with timelines, albeit dreaming, and i find it hard te believe that he just takes things out of order for nothing or lack of proper editing skill. This guy is in this business for long time already.
Lets wait out the rest of the show but i think some of this time shizzle will be cleared out even in some Lynchian way.

hughesta

Banned
Dougie did not go home that night. How would he meet back with the Mitchum brothers again? Why would Bishnell tell him to call his wife because he hasn't been home?

Stuff is absolutely being shown out of sequence and I'm inclined to believe it's intentional. I don't think it's done to show some strange 'time distortion,' it's just done to show the audience the information out of sequence and make us place things together properly.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Did anyone try slowing down the music near the beginning of the ep? It sounds pretty cool slowed down, it also sounds of out of sequence as heck.

Levito

Banned
Alright I watched The Elephant Man. Pretty powerful movie, felt a lot different than everything else I've seen from Lynch. He's a far more versatile filmmaker beyond a surrealist of Americana.

Just a couple of days away from Part 14, and reading spoilers for it only has me even more excited.

I can't believe we're quickly approaching the end and the ride is nearly over.

gun_haver

I like the show, but I think it's a bit of a lie to say show is cram packed and he couldn't find a way to 'fit it in'. Unless he really thinks multiple Dr Amp monologues and scenes of nothing that could last 1 minute but instead last 4 are 100% crucial - and he might.

I think people just aren't considering that the show could be kind of sloppily put together. That's how it feels to me, in everything from editing to continuity to colour grading to score. I don't feel a strong push in any one direction, but many stabs in different directions, which sometimes land and sometimes don't, and not full attention paid to whether or not it all fits together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom