• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vectorman

Banned
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/twin-peaks-wont-be-revived-again-at-showtime-1027586

Really good article about Twin Peaks: The Return and how Showtime feels about it. Sounding like this is it, even with the higher-ups feeling like they are up for more possibly.

"I don't think so, but it's not impossible. [David Lynch and I are] both avoiding the conversation for a while; we want to let the story coalesce and see how people feel at the end," Showtime CEO David Nevins told reporters Monday night at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour event on the Paramount Lot.

"I'm really happy with the performance. It drove our business in a way that almost nothing else could. It's been interesting and maybe it's a blinding glimpse of how Netflix looks at the world but [it had] a palpable effect on subscribers even though its overall numbers are not as big as our biggest shows," Nevins said. "But it's had a very palpable effect on subscribers for multiple months now."

While he confessed that Twin Peaks was not as big as Showtime's top performers like veteran Shameless or Ray Donovan, it still helped corporate parent CBS turn in an impressive second quarter. CBS Corp. CEO Leslie Moonves told investors Monday that Twin Peaks led to a "terrific quarter" for the cabler. That included increases in subscriptions for its streaming service — with Showtime said to have accounted for more than half of the projected 4 million subscribers between its OTT service and CBS All Access."It's a way higher proportion of streaming than anything else," Nevins said of the Twin Peaks viewership. "The second quarter has always been our weakest quarter and [operating income] was up 11 percent and you can assume that Showtime was up a higher percentage to drive that. That's new subscriptions driven largely by Twin Peaks was the biggest factor in that. It did its job for being such an unusual show for us."

As for when a formal decision about the future of Twin Peaks would come in, Nevins said Lynch has been in France since the show's May premiere event and conversations would not begin until after the season wraps its run with a two-hour finale over the Labor Day weekend.

"I promise we're not even going to have those conversations until the thing airs, David Lynch has been in France pretty much since the premiere event we had," Nevins said.

Asked if he would have done anything different surrounding the Twin Peaks return, Nevins pointed to the budget dispute Showtime had with Lynch. "I would have given him the deal three weeks earlier," Nevins said.

As I mentioned before, I've had my criticisms of this show, but no matter what, I'm glad Lynch was able to do what he wanted with this, regardless of how I feel about the product at the moment.

A-V-B

My final prediction on Coop's return: The end of episode 16, with the finale being a two hour-long Agent Cooper extravaganza.

Levito

Banned
Honestly the way things are panning out, I'm fairly certain Cooper will return, even if it's not until the very end. Frost and Lynch love Cooper too, and I don't think they'd honeydick us with certain moments of him almost 'waking up' if they were never going to do it.

There's a thematic point to Dougie well beyond "trolling", I don't know exactly what that is yet, but there certainly is one. We'll find out .

Linkin112

For the people who are convinced Cooper is never coming back and will stay as Dougie, do you just think that scene in one of the trailers of Cooper driving a car is trailer exclusive and not actually gonna be in the show?

Because if not, I don't get it.

I just got around to finally watching the episode.
OMG THE FAN SERVICE EPISODE.

I love the discreet reveal of Ed.
Also, Nadine finally getting some full sentence dialogue lets us know that she hasnt changed a bit.
I'm sad that Ed and Norma arent together.. I wonder what happened there.

The icing on the cake was James playing in the Bang Bang Bar.
As soon as they announced him as the performer I stood up because I knew what was coming.
Made me really miss the dynamic between him, Maddy, and Donna from the episodes of old.

Didn't push the main story forward too much but I'm glad Lynch finally decided to stay off screen for one episode and focus on the classic characters for a good amount of time.

1 of the rare times I catch these things but, same woman at the front of the crowd, sat next to other the woman ?

2017-08-08x6sdt.png

2017-08-0817rs2r.png

Gastone

For the people who are convinced Cooper is never coming back and will stay as Dougie, do you just think that scene in one of the trailers of Cooper driving a car is trailer exclusive and not actually gonna be in the show?

Because if not, I don't get it.

To be honest that shot looks more like Bad Coop to me

I'm still convinced that in the opening scene of the season with Cooper and ??????? we're seeing Cooper post-Dougie.

It's very possible.

I only say this because Coop says "I understand" when ???? tells him of the two birds birds named Richard and Linda.
This would also imply that Dougie makes his way to Twin Peaks somehow if the Richard is Richard Horne.
If not, still, we have no idea who these people are and Coop does. This would mean he finds out sometime this season.

Levito

Banned
But what was that god damn monster mom alien in the first episode

I'd be ok with it killing everyone
Best ending

In the Secret History Of Twin Peaks, it's referred to as "The Mother Of Abominations". It appears to have 'given birth' to Bob in episode 8, and it's also probably the 'great evil' that's resided in the PNW forever.

When hawk said "you don't ever wanna know about that"--safe bet it was the mother. Whatever it is, shit is bad news. I hope Coop/Dougie's powerlevel is high enough to combat this.

fenners

Different clothes at the very least.

Random extra who happened to be there when they filmed those two scenes.

A lot of these 'glitches' & weirdness with effects & with extras really does seem laziness or cheapness on location, not some overarching plot element. I'd love to be wrong.

In the Secret History Of Twin Peaks, it's referred to as "The Mother Of Abominations". It appears to have 'given birth' to Bob in episode 8, and it's also probably the 'great evil' that's resided in the PNW forever.

When hawk said "you don't ever wanna know about that"--safe bet it was the mother. Whatever it is, shit is bad news. I hope Coop/Dougie's powerlevel is high enough to combat this.

Laura is the one.

chekhonte

Coop isn't coming back. If there will be anything nearly approaching a resolution to the Dougie/Evil Coop thing it will be something like Dougie blundering into evil coop and they cancel each other out and both turn into one of those little metal beans. The giant will come and collect them and place them on the pedestal in the lodge.

Nothing is going to come around or get wrapped up.

Kadayi

Banned
CBS just said it was important in driving growth in the last quarter. They believe subscriptions have seen a very noticeable uptick because of the show. Plus they sold it to many overseas markets. It's safe to say it was a smart financial investment for Sho.

Good to hear. I'd be up for more TP

mittelos

Anyone pay attention to what James was wearing? Was it the same thing he wore in episode... two? Three? The first time we see him.
Yes, black tee and jeans and the guitar was the same; the backup singers were not wearing the same outfits as Donna and Maddie.

Edit- misread, I was talking about the original scene; not sure about if it was same as Ep 2.

Anyone pay attention to what James was wearing? Was it the same thing he wore in episode... two? Three? The first time we see him.
It looks like the same exact shirt but without the jacket.

idk if it's already been said, but the girl that's crying is the same girl that Shelly is sitting next to in episode 2 in the booth at the Bang Bang Bar. She's wearing different clothing though.

Random extra who happened to be there when they filmed those two scenes.

A lot of these 'glitches' & weirdness with effects & with extras really does seem laziness or cheapness on location, not some overarching plot element. I'd love to be wrong.
Calling it laziness makes me bristle a bit, but I agree with you that they're just mistakes.

Lynch shot 18 hours by himself in three blocks. A couple of things like an extra in a couple of shots, or extras switching around, or the odd line they couldn't ADR are unfortunate... but I don't think it's laziness of all things.

Calling it laziness makes me bristle a bit, but I agree with you that they're just mistakes.

Lynch shot 18 hours by himself in three blocks. A couple of things like an extra in a couple of shots, or extras switching around, or the odd line they couldn't ADR are unfortunate... but I don't think it's laziness of all things.

Yeah, they had a low budget by normal TV standards. So, they made due with what they had. Pretty offensive to call it lazy.

fenners

"laziness" was the wrong word - there's things that clearly are being used that they wouldn't have done ideally. Blame the budget, I guess, for a lack of reshoots or extra shots done originally.

"laziness" was the wrong word - there's things that clearly are being used that they wouldn't have done ideally. Blame the budget, I guess, for a lack of reshoots or extra shots done originally.
Just rewatched Part 13.

Maybe the blonde lady liked the song so much she found a way to go back in time to hear it again?

Or maybe it's a mistake.

Hopefully if they do make more they will budget in some pick ups after the bulk of editing is done to fix such stuff. So yeah, budget I guess, or an oversight.

Futureman

Finally just watched the latest episode. I could watch 100 more hours of this. Evil Coop in this episode was crazy... the whole scene at the compound was crazy. Lots of awesome Dougie and lots of classic Peaks moments.

Roi

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere else but I noticed that girl that was crying at the James song has a (blue) rose tattoo. Could be a coincidence though.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Didn't see it mentioned anywhere else but I noticed that girl that was crying at the James song has a (blue) rose tattoo. Could be a coincidence though.

She also has the numbers 7-6-63 on her arm. Could be a birthdate but most def not hers.

Edit: she have this tattoo in real life btw. Guess that doesnt mean shit in the show. Same as the rose tattoo.

I was wondering if they didn't make such a big stink about Norma's pie being so good for a reason. The way Dougie seems to be seeking out cherry pie makes me wonder if one of Norma's pies doesn't end up triggering Coop's mind coming back.

Prediction: This goes down in Part 15.

I'm still convinced that in the opening scene of the season with Cooper and ??????? we're seeing Cooper post-Dougie.

I agree. If Coop can be beamed to the White Lodge to chat to TAFKA The Giant, then surely the Giant could release him from the Black Lodge at any time? So I'm definitely swaying towards 'it's future' for that one.

Same with Hawk at Glastonbury Grove.

I was wondering if they didn't make such a big stink about Norma's pie being so good for a reason. The way Dougie seems to be seeking out cherry pie makes me wonder if one of Norma's pies doesn't end up triggering Coop's mind coming back.

Prediction: This goes down in Part 15.

I thought that scene was more meta commentary, with Norma channeling Lynch as someone who wants to keep her integrity and create her art (in this case, pie) from the heart and that it's more important than profits.

g11

Same with Hawk at Glastonbury Grove.

I thought that scene was more meta commentary, with Norma channeling Lynch as someone who wants to keep her integrity and create her art (in this case, pie) from the heart and that it's more important than profits.

Man, I keep forgetting that happened. It was so long ago now.

And yeah, same, someone else pointed that out earlier that that scene Norma feels like a stand-in for Lynch and that's the kind of bullshit he deals with in Hollywood from studio execs and the like. Unless Gordon and his band of merry men go to Vegas and find Dougie, I think Coop has to be back to himself before he gets to Twin Peaks.

EDIT: I don't know how many of you listen to any TP podcasts but I picked up a couple from earlier in the thread and one of them, Diane Podcast, pointed out the scene at the end with Ed eating alone at the gas farm and lighting matches, that's something BOB would do. "Do you want to play with fire little boy? Do you want to play with BOB?" God I hope that's not true. It's bad enough seeing Ed friend-zoning himself for four decades.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Man, I keep forgetting that happened. It was so long ago now.

And yeah, same, someone else pointed that out earlier that that scene Norma feels like a stand-in for Lynch and that's the kind of bullshit he deals with in Hollywood from studio execs and the like. Unless Gordon and his band of merry men go to Vegas and find Dougie, I think Coop has to be back to himself before he gets to Twin Peaks.

They could end up finding Dougie because the idiot detectives ran his prints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom