• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gastone

Damn, guys. I'm conflicted. I remember watching TP back when i was a kid, and getting scared by Bob, but i only remembered fragments of the entire series, so i did a rewatch of S1-S2 just weeks before S3 hit.

I absolutely loved the first two seasons, and it made me watch and rewatch most of Lynchs movies. Loved most of them.

We're now 13 eps into S3, and i'm not sure what to think exactly. There are moments of pure gold spread across these episodes, and overall i AM enjoying it. But honestly, i'm missing that sense of hmm...lurking danger that the first two seasons had. And that cozy rural feeling the landscape and buildings of TP brought with it. This season is a completely different beast. It's something i both love and hate, for some reason. Part of me just wants Coop to wake the fuck up, and part of me doesn't. Man, fuck Lynch and his mindfuckery! Gotta love the man

SomTervo

Damn, guys. I'm conflicted. I remember watching TP back when i was a kid, and getting scared by Bob, but i only remembered fragments of the entire series, so i did a rewatch of S1-S2 just weeks before S3 hit.

I absolutely loved the first two seasons, and it made me watch and rewatch most of Lynchs movies. Loved most of them.

We're now 13 eps into S3, and i'm not sure what to think exactly. There are moments of pure gold spread across these episodes, and overall i AM enjoying it. But honestly, i'm missing that sense of hmm...lurking danger that the first two seasons had. And that cozy rural feeling the landscape and buildings of TP brought with it. This season is a completely different beast. It's something i both love and hate, for some reason. Part of me just wants Coop to wake the fuck up, and part of me doesn't. Man, fuck Lynch and his mindfuckery! Gotta love the man

Indeed, it's hinted at strongly (and explicitly stated by Jean Renault) that a core theme of the show is how the perfect idyllic life - or at least the perfect balance - (i.e. Twin Peaks itself) is being corrupted by the multifarious forces of the modern world.

In Season 3 we've skipped 25 years and the last vestiges of the 'good old days' that the OG seasons dwell on pretty much have their back to the wall. The modern world is dark, corrupt and drug-addled, even down to the small towns.

Divius

(With a bonus cameraman blooper also appearing in the mirror).
That was intentional. It refers to voyeuristic reflections and disjointed timelines as the viewer will identify with the cameraman and reflect on this show in years to come. This post is sarcastic.

MisterR

Indeed, it's hinted at strongly (and explicitly stated by Jean Renault) that a core theme of the show is how the perfect idyllic life - or at least the perfect balance - (i.e. Twin Peaks itself) is being corrupted by the multifarious forces of the modern world.

In Season 3 we've skipped 25 years and the last vestiges of the 'good old days' that the OG seasons dwell on pretty much have their back to the wall. The modern world is dark, corrupt and drug-addled, even down to the small towns.

Yep and it really hits the nail on the head. 25 years ago there was dark shit underneath the surface in small town America, but there still was the normalcy and idyllic nature of small town life. In small town life in 2017, the façade has been completely pulled away. There is a population drain, decay of infrastructure and massive drug problems. I see it every time I go home to visit my home town and each time I hear about somebody I went to HS with dying of a drug overdose. Small town America is crumbling and it's appropriately reflected in the new season.

PolishQ

I had a dream last night that our Cooper finally came back ... but he was replaced with a different actor, an ugly old man, who kept monotonously reciting Cooper's classic dialogue from the original series.

Kalor

I had a dream last night that our Cooper finally came back ... but he was replaced with a different actor, an ugly old man, who kept monotonously reciting Cooper's classic dialogue from the original series.

I also had a dream but instead it was meant to be the end of the next episode and there was black and white footage of Agent Jeffries from FWWM punctuated with new footage of him. Unfortunately yours is probably more likely to happen.

Futureman

Just want to make sure... the guy who was assassinated in episode 12 was the head of the insurance company? He was back in episode 13 because we are seeing things out of order.

TheWraith

Just want to make sure... the guy who was assassinated in episode 12 was the head of the insurance company? He was back in episode 13 because we are seeing things out of order.

Eh? Do you mean the prison warden that was shot in front of his house? Evil C explicitly mentioned the warden needed to be killed in a previous episode.

SilentRob

You mean the guy who was shot in the head on the porch of his house? No, that was the warden.

PSGreatHornedOwl3.jpg

Now look at the mirrors.

Audioboxer

Really enjoyed this weeks episode too, just seen it last night. I'm convinced like others real Cooper will probably be coming back for the last 2 hours, maybe just the last hour. That will be fine. Him not coming back at all will be harder to take :p

I hope there is another season or movie, but sadly some of the actors in this have now passed on to, let alone any who passed away before filming season 3. I've got a feeling another season of Twin Peaks being filmed in 2018, for example, will just keep having less of the gang together (some actors at their ages just might not return either at this point).

I think, therefore, we'll just have to be content with getting a season 3. One thing I do miss a bit this season is far more filming and focus of being just in Twin Peaks. I think that was easier to do in 1990. Now because of the internet, mobile phones and what not season 3 has had to be a piece of current times. So there is far more filming across the country, rather than just sticking to a single town. Season 3 was just never going to be able to recapture all of the nostalgia we have for an early 90s show. It's doing a pretty good job in many ways though, so hats off to Lynch.

This is more a sequel, rather than a season 3 if you ask me. With it being 25 years later that was simply inevitable.

We're now 13 eps into S3, and i'm not sure what to think exactly. There are moments of pure gold spread across these episodes, and overall i AM enjoying it. But honestly, i'm missing that sense of hmm...lurking danger that the first two seasons had.

The Woodsmen are scary AF to me; they're a constantly looming threat, like BOB, except with the power to crush skulls and phase in and out of existence.

Frank Silva was the GOAT at menacing faces, though.

Really enjoyed this weeks episode too, just seen it last night. I'm convinced like others real Cooper will probably be coming back for the last 2 hours, maybe just the last hour. That will be fine. Him not coming back at all will be harder to take :p.

Part 15. I remain confident that's when Coop will return.

I imagine just doing a database search might flag other investigators who may have interest in those prints since they are the same as Mr. C's.

Didn't they get flagged when someone ran the Major's data? I would agree 100% they're about to be flagged. They're getting flagged when Dianne gets texts.

I thought that scene was more meta commentary, with Norma channeling Lynch as someone who wants to keep her integrity and create her art (in this case, pie) from the heart and that it's more important than profits.
I think it comes off that way because Lynch likes Norma, as we do. But Lynch does try to serve his story and ideas in his own ways.

We have a guy going around eating pie and we have someone who makes Very Special Pie. These seem like things that will collide.

Corpsepyre

Banned
There's a guy on Reddit theorising that we might have seen parts of the finale or the more important bits already in earlier episodes, given things are non linear. What do you make of that ?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There's a guy on Reddit theorising that we might have seen parts of the finale or the more important bits already in earlier episodes, given things are non linear. What do you make of that ?

Actually I might agree with that, specially with Cooper being in the White Lodge in the first scene, if that Black and White place is that.

Hints maybe, but nothing too climactic. I think with five hours left, we still have room to see some crazy shit - whether it out-does 8 remains to be seen.

Linkin112

My current guess/wish is that all of Part 17/18 take place only in Twin Peaks, with all the major players having finally found their ways there. So that leaves the next three episodes for that to happen.

DoppelCooper has the coordinates now, so I feel that's his next stop. Since Richard seemed drawn to him last episode, maybe he tags along?

The FBI know Twin Peaks is where they have to head to, but intercepting Diane's message about Las Vegas may cause a pit stop, hopefully to pick up Cooper.

Everyone that lives in Twin Peaks that is important is basically already there.

So that just leaves wrapping up Dougie Cooper's plot. I don't know if Dougie will really be involved with Bushnell's plan to take down Duncan Todd and maybe Anthony saying he'll confess is the end of that, but Hutch and Chantal are coming to town and we're still not 100% sure who the "double header" referred to. Seems plausible to wrap that up with three episodes.

sappyday

We still haven't even met Linda. The only plot line that has been sort of resolved is everything in Buckhorne (except for the Albert/Morgue Lady romance which i hope they get back to) and that's it, unless I'm missing something. The dougie plot line seems like it's about to end but Lynch can drag it on till the end. I doubt most of them will have a resolution (I don't think we'll see anything from episode 8 anymore) and the other plot lines will join up with each other soon.

There's a lot left but you can do a lot in 5 hours. My hopes is that episode 12-13 were just leftover scenes that they fit into two episodes, part 12 especially feels like this.

We still haven't even met Linda. The only plot line that has been sort of resolved is everything in Buckhorne (except for the Albert/Morgue Lady romance which i hope they get back to) and that's it, unless I'm missing something. The dougie plot line seems like it's about to end but Lynch can drag it on till the end. I doubt most of them will have a resolution (I don't think we'll see anything from episode 8 anymore) and the other plot lines will join up with each other soon.

There's a lot left but you can do a lot in 5 hours. My hopes is that episode 12-13 were just leftover scenes that they fit into two episodes, part 12 especially feels like this.

Dougie plot only has the assassins left coming to get him (Hutch and his girl). I'm hoping the Mitchums play a role in saving him.

We will definitely learn more about the bug creature from 8, at the very least, since that's what Mr. C is after.

Part 14 is apparently REALLY plot-heavy, so you may be right about the leftover scenes.

Levito

Banned
The finale is just going to be David Lynch booty dancing for 2 hours straight as a huge banner in the background say "season 2 was the worst get rekt neogaf".

EdmondD

The pattern of following a dud with a great episode continues. Lots of good stuff.
Sonny Jim getting spoiled. I wish I had a spotlight when I was a kid. Dougie massaging the dandruff was hilarious. I like how he didn't miss a beat and grabbed his coffee. Tom Sizemore was really over the top but in a good way.
I thought Doop would be strong but I wasn't expecting him to be Nadine strong. He should have rag-dolled some fools. Awesome scene. I liked Ray a lot and how he was always calling people "fucks". Little Dickie came to see his dad.
Owl Ring definitely seems to mark you for possession and I guess you have to die well wearing it? Wonder what games Mike is playing.
Dug the Audrey scene. Have no idea what was going on but I feel real bad for Audrey.
Sarah scene was crazy with the looping TV. Some time fuckery is going on no doubt. Those electric zaps were ominous as hell.
Good to see Big Ed. James shit was amazing. The James Hurley playing the Roadhouse is the most surreal shit in this show.
That fashion peaks stuff is pretty fun. Whoever writes it is obviously a big fan.

Dalek

I love when Tom Sizemore was sobbing and saying he wanted to confess-and Dougie said "Confess."

👌

"Thank you, Dougie!"
"Thank Dougie."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom