• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joqu

Well you guys, I've woken up. Trying to not read too much stuff here but it sounds like I'm in for one hell of a ride. Yessss.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Jeez, I'm taking a small break before I jump into 3 & 4 (will tag all my spoilers, so know that. Won't talk about anything with 3 & 4 without spoiler tags), but I'm in love. Hoping the rest of the season can be just as good/possibly even surpass that.

It starts off very slow, and I imagine like all of Lynch's works this will be decisive. But it honestly feels like everything Lynch ever made conjoined into one and made this. There were vibes of everything from Twin Peaks to Mulholland Drive to Eraser Head to Inland Empire to Blue Velvet, and just... Gaaaahh. I think it's pretty safe to say if you love Lynch's works you'll love this. It was a bit slow at the very start and to be honest as I was registering it at the beginning I didn't quite know what to think, but it quickly grew on me.

I can see this reviewing kind of controversially, I expect to see a lot of perfect scores and a lot of failing grades. But I will say this: I'm fucking loving it so far.

Excited to see 3 & 4 tonight.

Quick question: Couldn't really complete Twin Peaks 90s series. Left midway. Should I start watching this or complete that first? I got kinda bored when
that Mike dude possessed Leeland and he killed Sarah's cousin
and stopped watching.
Does that show get better after that? Or I can just youtube/read remaining stuff and start with this show?

Not surprised. I imagine this will be polarizing. Knowing this is a Lynch production made the slow pacing acceptable. If I wasn't already a fan of his work, I could see getting bored and antsy.

Exactly, anyone not a fan of Lynch as a filmmaker will probably hate this, if it keeps the pace.

Right up my alley though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I will also say this: In many ways this feels more like Lynch: The Lynch than Twin Peaks, like the tone is quite different from Twin Peaks so far. There's still Twin Peaks in there, certainly. It poked its head out several times. And it continues the story and lore. But the way it's executed makes this in many ways feel less like a direct Twin Peaks Season 3 and it feels more like a sequel to every work Lynch has produced. It's very hard to describe, but I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

Flipyap

Oh, and fuck HBO and their shitty bumper graphics.
They showed Doop And The Rednecks (my new ironically favorite band) before Part 1 and Laura Palmer before Part 2.

I will also say this: In many ways this feels more like Lynch: The Lynch than Twin Peaks, like the tone is quite different from Twin Peaks so far. There's still Twin Peaks in there, certainly. It poked its head out several times. And it continues the story and lore. But the way it's executed makes this in many ways feel less like a direct Twin Peaks Season 3 and it feels more like a sequel to every work Lynch has produced. It's very hard to describe, but I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

Yeah, I'm already convinced that the world of Twin Peaks co-exists with at least the world of Eraserhead too. That thing in the box in Episode 1 looked like a grownup version of the alien baby from that film.

BADMAN

Yeah, I'm already convinced that the world of Twin Peaks co-exists with at least the world of Eraserhead too. That thing in the box in Episode 1 looked like a grownup version of the alien baby from that film.

Does that mean Jack Nance's character was an older version of Eraserhead's protagonist?

Finished first two, next two tomorrow.

Seeing Log Lady like that makes me sad. Booper is a cool guy 😎
Not-Bowie was cool
Lynch as fuck
New girls were top tier qts RIP
Stoner Jerry kills me
SHELLEY BAE
I like James now that I get a pathetic vibe from him
Where is Bobby?
Chromatics work so well with Lynch

Eraserhead vibes for sure. Can't see Twin Peaks digging this, Lynch fans absolutely will.

Plum

Just about to head off to sleep but I've got to say that damn, I love it. Lynch and Frost could have so very easily just gone the safe route but they didn't, this feels new and unlike anything I've seen recently on TV. If the show can keep this up then we've got something special on our ends.

Now lets hope that fucking thing in the box from Part 1 doesn't give me nightmares.

Definitely - think about how many more films/works he's done since the last TP thing he did... This definitely feels like Lynch flexing his muscles without any constraints. When it comes to Twin Peaks, I imagine both Frost and Lynch don't want to risk jeopardizing their vision again.

big fan of the original two seasons.

I loved the change of pace this new season is providing.

I like that it is darker and weirder.

It's way more lynch, and that's a good thing!

Fisty

I think episodes 1&2 were a middle finger to the FWWM critics, it's so far outside of the old series so far. He probably won't bring the quirky town stuff back until like 7 episodes in lol

Loved it

Flipyap

9ASBS9Q.gif

Oh my God them saying "James is cool" is such a clear middle finger to everyone

I'm just gonna watch the next two episodes because fuck it. Might as well overdose

3rdman

Yes! So fucking happy right now...nothing what I expected and yet exactly what it needed to be. Lynch, you glorious, amazing, son of a bitch! Thank you!

BADMAN

It's too bad the visual effects aren't top quality but I gotta say, the imagery they are trying to portray is so on point that it doesn't really bother me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom