• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

My boy Motionless-kun needs some love.

gKaiQBg.gif

LOVE HIM AS I DO.

UDkVWgT.gif

tumblr_mlbnu4qSft1r7wwf9o1_400.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My boy Motionless-kun needs some love.

gKaiQBg.gif

LOVE HIM AS I DO.

UDkVWgT.gif

He creeped me out in all honesty.

I'm wondering if he was just a one-time scare thing or if he's ever going to get explained though.

I also just randomly remembered the actor for the Jumping Man is in this season.

I'm wondering if he was just a one-time scare thing or if he's ever going to get explained though.

I also just randomly remembered the actor for the Jumping Man is in this season.

In FWWM, above the convenience store (the scene overlaid with Jefferies ramblings) there's a man at the back with a black beard. Same character? Just going out but if someone can post a pic for further discussion later that would be grand!

Quick edit - maybe not because not even sure that gut has a beard now. Worth a gander anyway...

Flipyap

He's the best! He doesn't move and comes with a detachable floating face feature. What a great guy!

At this rate, Jump-chan is going to end up playing a perfectly normal human being (hope I'm wrong, I miss that nose).

Daft_Cat

There hasn't been anything like that since her killer was revealed in the original show. ABC forced them to do it and it killed the show, it was originally never going to be revealed.

Hence why the revival - which seems to be a surprisingly direct follow-up to Cooper's more ephemeral Black Lodge shenanigans - may prove even more inaccessible to a mainstream audiences.

I love the show, by the way. Not attacking it. It's just that Twin Peaks season 1 - and even Blue Velvet, to some extent - made concessions to genre that brought in more mainstream audiences. They're more like Lynchian-flavored neo-noirs than the hellish dreamscapes of Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway.

This is a follow-up to Twin Peaks, of course - and I'd argue that it's easier to follow than his last few films if you're familiar with how season 2 ended - but the plot itself is definitely not going to hook mainstream audiences in the way that the Laura Palmer mystery did.

Joqu

Sure positive reception is always nice, but commercially speaking? I honestly don't give a fuck about ratings at this point. The episodes have been made. I can't imagine we won't get them all no matter how that stuff goes. And I'm sure we'll get a Blu-ray too. I really don't need anything else. :p

I mean such success would be nice if it means more David Lynch, but if this the last thing he gets to do I'll be pretty okay with that too.

Lynch's films have always been as impressive aurally as visually in my opinion, in particular his use of ambient sound. There was some particularly 'odd' sound choices in Twin Peaks first time round too, but I think he was working with Alan Splet back then. I'm wondering now if I am mistaken now, but I swear I saw his name next to sound design during the credits for episode 3 (Lynch).

Yeah, it's still sounding impressive to me but I'm sure you're right about the issues.

Likely because color correction and HD are so much better now. It probably looks like it was supposed but was too saturated in SD in 1991.

I really don't know about that, I've got the Blu-ray set in HD, and looking at old SD footage it got colour corrected for that release anyway. I also think the red room looks better in photographic stills from the original series. It looked better in Fire Walk with Me too.

But it's not that big of a deal in the end, I just really love the red room scenes in the original and they haven't been quite right in this if you ask me. But it's fine.

I noticed it immediately, so now I'm a bit bummed out that it's the ring. For a moment it seemed like an interesting piece of the puzzle.

Round Owl Cave ring: http://i.imgur.com/0K5dtZh.png

Oval Jesus Fish (?) ring: http://i.imgur.com/DYqN7rR.png

You can really see the difference in those pictures, thanks.

Oval Jesus Fish ring ain't the ring though, that's a pretty interesting puzzle to me.

HotHamBoy

Guh.

Maybe I shouldn't have burned through all 4 episodes in one night. The wait for more is going to be agony.

The wait hurts me like a knife in my brain.

Chitown B

I really don't know about that, I've got the Blu-ray set in HD, and looking at old SD footage it got colour corrected for that release anyway. I also think the red room looks better in photographic stills from the original series. It looked better in Fire Walk with Me too.

But it's not that big of a deal in the end, I just really love the red room scenes in the original and they haven't been quite right in this if you ask me. But it's fine.

I do too, but I more meant original source. Cameras are better now.

I've only seen through Part 3, but the show is still Twin Peaks. It's just 25 years later. That means everyone in front of and behind the camera is older and more experienced. Plus Evil Cooper has been fucking shit up for the past 25 years.

It would be disingenuous to continue the same style of 1990. That doesn't exist in real life and shouldn't in Twin Peaks.

I love the new opening credit sequence. It say that this is a new perspective on a thing you loved and that the Red Room/Black Lodge is a major part of it. It's invading the regular elements of the show.

Also the special effects are exactly Lynch. For the most part his filmography is filled with apparent artificiality. The small cooked chickens in Eraserhead (amongst many others in the film), the robin at the end of Blue Velvet, original Twin Peaks had bizzare compositing, Inland Empire's projected creepy faces.

I have no doubt this series looks exactly like Lynch wants it. The sound design too, for that matter.

Hence why the revival - which seems to be a surprisingly direct follow-up to Cooper's more ephemeral Black Lodge shenanigans - may prove even more inaccessible to a mainstream audiences.

I love the show, by the way. Not attacking it. It's just that Twin Peaks season 1 - and even Blue Velvet, to some extent - made concessions to genre that brought in more mainstream audiences. They're more like Lynchian-flavored neo-noirs than the hellish dreamscapes of Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway.

This is a follow-up to Twin Peaks, of course - and I'd argue that it's easier to follow than his last few films if you're familiar with how season 2 ended - but the plot itself is definitely not going to hook mainstream audiences in the way that the Laura Palmer mystery did.

So far I'm getting the feeling that this will serve as the denouement of Lynch's entire filmography. It is still very much Twin Peaks but so far it's veering more into the Fire Walk With Me then the early part of the show's original run. It also shares a great deal in common with his other films. It's narrative dissonance is right out of Muholland Drive or Lost Highway and it's even veered into Eraserhead/Inland Empire territory. It won't be for everyone but Twin Peaks has already answered the call that it can still be the trendsetter in Tv world which has longed cribbed from the original show.

Ran rp

I can't believe the praise I'm reading for the effects. It doesn't look good. Some look worse than the effects used for the original series (TV... back in 89/90!). You end up kind of laughing at them, and I don't care if it's intentional or not. Some (not all) are just... wrong (and some are a bit off and quirky, and that's fine).

I have a feeling that this season (up until now, at least), you'll have diehard Lynch fans loving it just because it's Lynch, and other viewers will hate it/get frustrated. And, as a huge Twin Peaks fan, I just can't help but feel that these first four episodes are so disconnected from the original series. It doesn't do the series justice. A big problem I'm having is with the pace. It's just way.... too... SLOW. It's frustrating to watch. The four hours could have all been done in one or two.

Yesss, Lynch bb. Challenge the fans.

DIeLy7Z.gif

barbiecokekeom1.gif

grumpy

Plus Evil Cooper has been fucking shit up for the past 25 years.

We're only 4 episodes in, but I would be pretty pissed off if Kyle Maclachlan does not get some major recognition for his role as Booper. Give him all the Globes and all the Emmys, he deserves them.

silenttwn

Episode 3 spoiler & question

I haven't had a chance to go back to it yet but that moment where Gordon Cole, Albert Rosenfield are being presented a photograph of the NYC murder .. was that a really hokey looking CGI rendering of the victims I saw?

Joqu

I do too, but I more meant original source. Cameras are better now.

Hm, yeah, I don't think that's the reason behind the colour difference. It just feels like a different choice, and one that I admittedly do consider to be somewhat of a downgrade.

I haven't had a chance to go back to it yet but that moment where Gordon Cole, Albert Rosenfield are being presented a photograph of the NYC murder .. was that a really hokey looking CGI rendering of the victims I saw?

Yes. It looked bad, especially considering we had some good corpses earlier. Like an ugly video game.
I'm going to pretend it was a cheesy FBI recreation for some reason.

Dusk Golem

I don't think it was CG, but I didn't observe it closely so I'd have to go back and check myself.

The season has some weird effects in places, but the 3D stuff has been constrained to other odd editing techniques.

I'm not seeing anyone online talking about Bad Dale's conversation with Agent Jeffries, which is probably the most confusing thing that happened in episodes 1&2.

1. Where is Agent Jeffries?
2. Where does Agent Jeffries think he is?
3. Why would Agent Jeffries work with Bad Dale?
4. Does all of this happen before Jeffries shows up back at the FBI office in FWWM, hence the "who do you think this is?" comment towards Cooper?
5. Jeffries says Cooper was talking to Major Briggs. But Cooper has been missing for 25 years - there's no way Bad Dale would be having interactions with Major Briggs (whose actor is also deceased) in the 25 years Special Agent Dale Cooper has been missing. Is he referring to 25 years ago?
6. Jeffries knows about Bob!

Talk to me about this, people.
I don't think that was actually Agent Jeffries on the phone, but Bad Cooper makes it seem as if he's been talking to someone he at least THINKS is Jeffries. The phone call seems suspect though, and I'd wager is coming from someone or something else entirely.

5. There's a scene at the very end of The Secret History of Twin Peaks book where
Briggs says he's receiving a visit from Agent Cooper, realistically pretty soon after the end of the original series. Briggs notes that he thinks there's something very different about Cooper, and calls for MAYDAY. The repercussions of which aren't yet known.

Joqu

If it's meant to be Jeffries you'd think he'd at least have the accent. I don't know, I really hope that's the reason it didn't even bother to make him sound like Jeffries.

I don't think it was CG, but I didn't observe it closely so I'd have to go back and check myself.

The season has some weird effects in places, but the 3D stuff has been constrained to other odd editing techniques.

I'll take a screenshot later if I remember to, but it really looked like awful CG to me.

kubus

As someone who is easily creeped/freaked out by scary things and absolutely HATES jump scares, would you recommend me to watch episode 1 at 11 PM right before going to bed?

Bob got me pretty shook in s1 and s2 but I was with my boyfriend back then, so it was sorta OK. I don't have him around now though :(

That gif of the creepy guy in the prison cell posted above is really freaking me out, but if that's all, I can handle it since I know what to expect. If there's more stuff like that, or jump scares, then I'll wait :p.

Thnx ;_;

Flipyap

Like all the gore shots so far, it's a poorly-edited photo. It's kind of sad how bad that stuff looks. So far all of those murder scenes would have more impact if they'd cut to black before the poorly photoshopped punchline.

I'll take a screenshot later if I remember to, but it really looked like awful CG to me.
Only the holes in their skulls are CG'd in. The whole shot looks like plastic because they're covered in blood with purple light bouncing off of it.

As someone who is easily creeped/freaked out by scary things and absolutely HATES jump scares, would you recommend me to watch episode 1 at 11 PM right before going to bed?

Bob got me pretty shook in s1 and s2 but I was with my boyfriend back then, so it was sorta OK. I don't have him around now though :(

That gif of the creepy guy in the prison cell posted above is really freaking me out, but if that's all, I can handle it since I know what to expect. If there's more stuff like that, or jump scares, then I'll wait :p.

Thnx ;_;

No. Lol. If you love Lynch and Twin Peaks watch it! But at your own risk :p

So, what are the general, no-spoilers, impressions of these 4 episodes?

No, I still haven't watched them, and I skipped the posts above in case of spoilers.

Joqu

Like all the gore shots so far, it's a poorly-edited photo. It's kind of sad how bad that stuff looks. So far all of those murder scenes would have more impact if they'd cut to black before the poorly photoshopped punchline.

Only the holes in their skulls are CG'd in. The whole shot looks like plastic because they're covered in blood with purple light bouncing off of it.

Hm, I thought the earlier corpses looked fine in comparison but I guess I just didn't pay enough attention to those, I'm sure you're right. That one I noticed right away though, so I figure it must have been worse somehow.

But yeah, I guess it's the plastic look (which would've probably be fine on its own?) combined with the bad photoshop that gave me that CG impression?

So, what are the general, no-spoilers, impressions of these 4 episodes?

No, I still haven't watched them, and I skipped the posts above in case of spoilers.
Four is the most like the old show. That seems to be the only consensus. I loved the first two, struggled with the third and liked the fourth.

aravuus

Finished the first episode. It's so weird, it's so not what you'd expect from Twin Peaks and I loved it!

I kinda adore the creepy continuous droning sound on the background.

I'm gonna watch the first four episodes right now, and I'm gonna regret it over the next two weeks.

Dusk Golem

Thnx ;_;

I'd have to say no, that hobo isn't the only thing in the first episode alone and I would say some of the stuff so far may have topped the original series in creepiness.

this is also from episode 1:

c81c88a68e1b4f2ac459e26433e7cb7a.gif

btags

Not that I think it will mean or lead to anything, but did anyone else think that one of the bartenders at the bang bang bar looked like Jacques Renault?

I'm not seeing anyone online talking about Bad Dale's conversation with Agent Jeffries, which is probably the most confusing thing that happened in episodes 1&2.

1. Where is Agent Jeffries?
2. Where does Agent Jeffries think he is?
3. Why would Agent Jeffries work with Bad Dale?
4. Does all of this happen before Jeffries shows up back at the FBI office in FWWM, hence the "who do you think this is?" comment towards Cooper?
5. Jeffries says Cooper was talking to Major Briggs. But Cooper has been missing for 25 years - there's no way Bad Dale would be having interactions with Major Briggs (whose actor is also deceased) in the 25 years Special Agent Dale Cooper has been missing. Is he referring to 25 years ago?
6. Jeffries knows about Bob!

Talk to me about this, people.

Have you seen eps 3&4?

So I watched episode 1 and some of 2 over again and I feel like I learned a couple of things I didn't catch before.

So, Bob killed Ruth. Obviously, because when Booper shoots Phyllis back at her house he shoots her directly in her left eye, which I did not even connect the dots during the first viewing. So, Bob possessed Bill and shot Ruth.
What I don't understand is whose body that is with Ruth's head and why it was placed there. Was that explained yet or does anyone have a theory?

Secondly, I didn't notice Hank's phone call after the discovery of Ruth's body by the cops. He calls Harvey I think t was and tells him he has something that only he will split with Chip. Is that anything special or am I reading too much into that scene?

I can't be the only one who perked up when they mentioned Hank, I was fully expecting:
hank-jennings.jpg

kubus

No. Lol. If you love Lynch and Twin Peaks watch it! But at your own risk :p

I'd have to say no, that hobo isn't the only thing in the first episode alone and I would say some of the stuff so far may have topped the original series in creepiness.

this is also from episode 1:

c81c88a68e1b4f2ac459e26433e7cb7a.gif

nope.gif

LOL ok yeah I love Twin Peaks and I've been counting down the days till the new season, but I'll wait until it's nice and sunny outside before attempting to watch this, haha

Thanks both!

Joqu

Not that I think it will mean or lead to anything, but did anyone else think that one of the bartenders at the bang bang bar looked like Jacques Renault?

It's the same actor and he's listed in the credits as Jean-Michael Renault. I don't know if it's just a cameo or a some weird secret twin.

hydruxo

Thnx ;_;

The guy in the prison cell is nothing compared to a certain scene that happens in that episode. If that freaked you out, then yeah you might want to wait until the morning to watch it haha. Some creepy stuff in this season so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom