• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Not that I think it will mean or lead to anything, but did anyone else think that one of the bartenders at the bang bang bar looked like Jacques Renault?

Doesn't just look like him, it is him (he's credited in the credits and was confirmed for the season).

I'm wondering if it was just an odd cameo or if we'll find out why he's there later. Maybe another brother?

EDIT: Gah, late to answering, but yeah. It's the same guy and for some reason he also is the bartender at the Roadhouse.

superfly

Just finished all 4. So emotional at the moment. On the one hand absolutely loving the full throttle lynchianess of it, the sound design is absolutely spectacular. However on the flip side part of me is craving for some of the old whimsical tones. While I thought season 2 abused the badliamenti score, thus far it seems too sparsely used.

One takeaway from the la premiere was Robert Forester talking about how Lynch directed him to speak slow for what many perceive now to be a dream sequence in Mulholland Drive. I wonder if something similar is going on here as the pace of the scenes in twin peaks seem very slow indeed.

Can't wait to see where this goes!

Slaythe

So, what are the general, no-spoilers, impressions of these 4 episodes?

No, I still haven't watched them, and I skipped the posts above in case of spoilers.

Well there's nothing like it on TV, if you like the crazy Lynch universes, you're probably gonna dig this.

Lots of questionable things, lots of creepy things, cheesy things, funny things, dark things, cool things...

Definitely worth a watch. Solid intense two premiere episodes, episode 3 jumps 37 sharks at once which is brilliant or terrible depending on your personal preference, episode 4 seems like a return to normal with some self awareness mixed in.

Can't wait for the story to come together. :)

kubus

The guy in the prison cell is nothing compared to a certain scene that happens in that episode. If that freaked you out, then yeah you might want to wait until the morning to watch it haha. Some creepy stuff in this season so far.
Oh boy, this sounds both terrifying and awesome so far. Thanks for the heads up! I'll watch tomorrow in daylight, haha

Slaythe

If Bowie somehow filmed a scene I'm gonna lose my shit.

He didn't.

And they didn't randomly include Bale to question if it was Jeffries suddenly for no reason. It's not him.

It's not that far fetched that Evil Jeffries and Evil Cooper talked to one another. But now, something changed, whoever he was associated with decided they wanted him gone, and his contact with Jeffries was apparently cut too.

That wasn't him on the phone.

The guy in the prison cell is nothing compared to a certain scene that happens in that episode. If that freaked you out, then yeah you might want to wait until the morning to watch it haha. Some creepy stuff in this season so far.
Personal preference, I found the motionless shadowman creepier than the spooky puppet

So he moved, right? Like as he's fading out you can see his eyes toward the top of the jail cell as if he's going up, yeah? Or did I totally imagine that?

Yeah you could see his head floating up, and it looked like his mouth was moving. It was by far the creepiest moment for me so far, haven't watched 3 and 4 yet.

Snagret

I won't be able to watch till this weekend probably, but I'm so excited to hear this seems to be exactly what we were hoping for.

Dusk Golem

Oh, I forgot to mention this. Episode 3/4 spoiler:

I have no shame in admitting that Hawk hanging up the "(Doughnut Pic) DISTURB" sign made me chuckle way more than it should have,

I wonder if Frost or Lynch were responsible for that one. My bets are on Mark.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
That music too

Yeah that was great.

Things I didn't like about ep 3 and 4:

More than 10 minutes of braindead Coop. SO SLOW. I really had no problem with pacing at all in part 1 and 2, but as soon as they started focusing on Coop it was a real struggle. Ready to get some life back into him.
Andy and Lucy were at first charming but I'm not sure if it's the acting (that's definitely part of it) or the writing but they're really hamming it up. I didn't like the cell phone gag. I don't like when revivals kind of halt their characters (I mean Coop is an obvious exception being literally held in the red room for 25 years).
Gordon and Albert staring at their female partner's ass as she walked away. :/ Come on Lynch. I think it's fine to show sexy women and their bodies which Lynch loves to do, but in a professional setting it feels kinda gross and a little out of character for Albert.
I'd really just like to see some progression.
Buuuuuuttttttt... I reiterate that I LOVED the first 2 parts. Like really loved it. I don't really take issue with special effects. I don't like the green screen in the driving scenes though... that's pretty bad.

I guess I'm a dirty mainstream viewer, because I always found the murder mystery the most compelling part of the original show. This certainly has a unique look and I can see the appeal for a certain audience, I just don't know why this wasn't a new series in the spirit of the original. It would have allowed them the leeway to be as abstract as they desired while not being beholden to the story or expectations that a follow up show is burdened with.

Yeah that was great.

Gordon and Albert staring at their female partner's ass as she walked away. :/ Come on Lynch. I think it's fine to show sexy women and their bodies which Lynch loves to do, but in a professional setting it feels kinda gross and a little out of character for Albert.

Yeah that was a bit off for me, as was (returning character spoiler for ep 3&4)
some of the portrayal of Denise. The original run was pretty progressive in how people quickly accepted this, but in light of where we're at today, it felt a bit insensitive to trans culture to make the conversation almost entirely about how she used to identify as a man, even using the name Dennis, and Cole acting disgusted by hormone stuff. I dunno, Denise has clearly ascended through the government and made a name for herself, and it would have been cool to present that scene with a bit more dignity. Not a dealbreaker for me, but I just wish they'd let her character be defined by her accomplishments rather than the way she identifies, after all this time.

Hey sorry because I'm sure this has been asked before but I live in Canada and I see episodes 1-4 are up, but it sounds like 3-4 are being aired next week. Will 5-6 be available for me next week on CraveTV or will I have to wait until the following week for new episodes?

PizzaFace

Banned
brain dead cooper
will last until the last second of the last episode

No thanks.

I've loved all four episodes, it's everything I wanted and more. But, If I had one complaint, it would be
brain dead cooper. I appreciate why they're doing it, they're need to be serious ramifications for spending 25 years in the Black Lodge, but he isn't particularly fun to watch right now. Give him an awakening in a dream ASAP please

Dusk Golem

Fuck, I think I might of just thought of something. I think I might actually be onto something, so don't read if you don't want potentially spoiler theorizing. I could be off, but I was just thinking about something and had a fridge moment.

Okay, hear me out. WHAT IF Bob is killing those who came from the Black Lodge, IE he killed Major Briggs and we know he has been to the Black Lodge, and before he shot the lady in the eye he mentions something about her doing good for herself and acting within human nature, and what is Cooper doing now that he's out of the Black Lodge? Re-learning human nature and stuff. What if There's some bigger scheme and less randomness to Bob's killing, and what if he's got some sort of bigger goal in mind here and how he's choosing his targets with them coming back from the Black Lodge? We need to see more but I realized he killed the character who went to the Black Lodge in the original series and before shooting the woman in the eye he mentioned her learning human stuff and that's what Cooper is doing now that he's out of the lodge, so it got me thinking.

It might be he's killing specific black lodge people trying to out something though too, there is more information to process.

Hey sorry because I'm sure this has been asked before but I live in Canada and I see episodes 1-4 are up, but it sounds like 3-4 are being aired next week. Will 5-6 be available for me next week on CraveTV or will I have to wait until the following week for new episodes?

Episodes will air one at a time after the first four. So yeah, episode 5 airs in two weeks, so you'd be waiting.

No thanks.

I've loved all four episodes, it's everything I wanted and more. But, If I had one complaint, it would be
brain dead cooper. I appreciate why they're doing it, they're need to be serious ramifications for spending 25 years in the Black Lodge, but he isn't particularly fun to watch right now. Give him an awakening in a dream ASAP please

I think that
it'll ease into more amnesia than 'brain dead' in the near future.

I guess I'm a dirty mainstream viewer, because I always found the murder mystery the most compelling part of the original show. This certainly has a unique look and I can see the appeal for a certain audience, I just don't know why this wasn't a new series in the spirit of the original. It would have allowed them the leeway to be as abstract as they desired while not being beholden to the story or expectations that a follow up show is burdened with.
I agree, season 2 was incredible but as soon as the murder was solved I just didn't care anymore

I think what I like about season 3 so far is they've gone so far in a bizarre and abstract direction that it gives me the same feeling of deciphering/processing what's really going on in the scene

Only instead of trying to decipher hammy soap opera stuff or goofy weirdness it's a bunch of creepy fuckin Eraserhead shit

Ran rp

Yeah that was great.

edit: holy shit, wait. are those different actresses? never mind then!

Daft_Cat

... but Lynch and Frost's desire to follow-up the original's story is the entire justification for this revival. It's not "a bunch of weird shit packed on top of Twin Peaks". It's a direct continuation of what happened to Cooper at the end of season 2.

Edit:

To rephrase my point: the desire here is to make a sequel to Twin Peaks - not to use its commercial appeal as a platform for high-budget experimental filmmaking. "Lynch gonna Lynch" and all that, but I think it's important to remember that the finale to Twin Peaks was an abstract deep dive into the darker, more ephemeral elements of the show's mythology. This is very much a continuation of that, both in terms of plot and style.

I'm glad that in episode 4
most people felt for Bobby rather than laughing at him. We had a mix at our viewing party last night.

Dusk Golem

Also, this is a crazy and potentially dumb theory, but about the body in the bed (and some episode 1-4 spoilers in this);
Uhm... Could that be Garland Briggs body? I know that sounds crazy, but like in the weird realm when Cooper is in space we see only Briggs' head floating by, the body is the same body type as Briggs', when they try to scan the body's fingerprints they find the identity is blocked by the military...

bunbun777

Also, this is a crazy and potentially dumb theory, but about the body in the bed (and some episode 1-4 spoilers in this);
Uhm... Could that be Garland Briggs body? I know that sounds crazy, but like in the weird realm when Cooper is in space we see only Briggs' head floating by, the body is the same body type as Briggs', when they try to scan the body's fingerprints they find the identity is blocked by the military...

Maybeeee....

Joqu

I'm thinking you might be right... Man, that'd be dark.

Zekes!

I thought the same

Thought this too. There would have to be interference from the Red Room to make it work from a dates perspective, I think, but it'd certainly start connecting some dots back to the town of Twin Peaks.

So basically, David Lynch couldn't get anyone to fund his works after Inland Empire, so he threw the name "Twin Peaks" around so he could get funding, then threated it like an entirely new thing?

Dusk Golem

Not yet. But it sounds like that from the comments around here

I honestly think to Lynch this is what he always wanted Twin Peaks to be.

But you'll find elements of all his works in this. Despite some very different from the original tone stuff (though it gets closer to the original series in episode 4 notably), the storyline and lore are all very much on point to TP. If you've spent a bit of time looking into the deeper stuff in TP lore there's a lot that happens that is in line or expands on lore things.

I think Lynch wanted to revisit what Twin Peaks meant to him and do his thing, while Mark Frost is keeper of the lore though.

This new season wouldn't make any sense if it wasn't a continuation of Twin Peaks. It just has gone further down the rabbit hole because that's where the show and FWWM were going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom