• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading some reviews and in a comment section, someone mentions the spooky man in the prison cell scene could be The Log Lady's husband. Interesting idea - didn't he die in a fire?

Yeah I could believe that. He seems burnt. People speculated that one of the bearded men in the room above the convenience store could be that character as well.

Been reading some reviews and in a comment section, someone mentions the spooky man in the prison cell scene could be The Log Lady's husband. Interesting idea - didn't he die in a fire?

I think the cell man is meant to be one of the lumberjacks in the convenience store, so I think it's plausibly both.

The Woodsman! Yep. IIRC he was also in the room above the convenience store in FWWM (though unburned looking).

tumblr_ne8cqbi0JV1rpotpgo3_r1_250.gif

Not sure if that's supposed to be the same guy though (in prison cell).

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I feel like watching 3 and 4 but then I'd have no new episodes to watch until June....Goddamnit...decisions....

Definitely not reused. That's new footage of the sheriff's station. I'm not positive but they may also be using the interior of the actual building for the interior scenes as well.

Only clear reused footage I noticed (outside of flashbacks) was the shots inside the school (hallway and picture cabinet).
This all sounds right to me.

It sure looked like Dirtfish (the building they used for the exterior of the Sheriff's office, and the interiors for it in the pilot. I spotted some orange (all the green was painted over with orange when they took over the old mill site) and that large open area where we had dispatchers and people working on... whatever that was, usually has a few pretty sweet rally cars in it... but it's an open area that didn't exist in the originally building lay out.

And yes. Call him Mr C. It's a great name.

Finally finished up to episode 4.

What the fuck is going on?

Broad strokes:

- Evil, doppelgänger Coop, (Bob) has been wrecking shit for 25 years while the real Coop was trapped in the lodge

- Real Coop is told by The Arm (used to be the midget, is now the talking tree) that he can leave the lodge, but only upon the return of his doppel

- Coop positions himself at the lodge's exit to be able to swap out with his doppel

- Bob, meanwhile, knowing what's coming, has somehow created another Cooper copy out in the world named Douggie

- Coop exits the lodge to try and perform the swap, but after many interdimensional travel shenanigans, winds up swapping with Douggie instead of Bob, leaving Bob out in the world

- Bob, now apprehended, appears to have a plan. HIs talk with Cole makes it clear he's got an endgame.

- Jacoby likes shovels, but only gold ones. Duh.

- Coop re-discovers coffee.

Just wanna point out that David Lynch already addressed the show's biggest mystery, which I also happened to bring up in this very thread hours before the new episodes aired.

For me, the show's biggest mystery by far is the final fate of
the small box of chocolate bunnies.

Broad strokes:

- Evil, doppelgänger Coop, (Bob) has been wrecking shit for 25 years while the real Coop was trapped in the lodge

- Real Coop is told by The Arm (used to be the midget, is now the talking tree) that he can leave the lodge, but only upon the return of his doppel

- Coop positions himself at the lodge's exit to be able to swap out with his doppel

- Bob, meanwhile, knowing what's coming, has somehow created another Cooper copy out in the world named Douggie

- Coop exits the lodge to try and perform the swap, but after many interdimensional travel shenanigans, winds up swapping with Douggie instead of Bob, leaving Bob out in the world

- Bob, now apprehended, appears to have a plan. HIs talk with Cole makes it clear he's got an endgame.

- Jacoby likes shovels, but only gold ones. Duh.

- Coop re-discovers coffee.

Was more a rhetorical "what the fuck" than a literal one, but cheers nonetheless.

I'd say the thing that is most confusing/intriguing me is
The Arm's doppelganger. Since I assumed BOB, MIKE, the Arm, Giant and the rest above the convenience store were spirits, I assumed that they were separate from the doppelgangers, which were tied specifically to humans. However, since the Arm apparently has a doppelganger that was the statue (?), what is its role and purpose? Does MIKE have a doppelganger, what about BOB? And how this connects to the glass box and the entity from it is definitely what I'm most curious about. I don't think the place in Episode 3 is really a Lodge place, but another place that MIKE and the Giant didn't know about, I suspect we'll return there.

I thought they looked similar but I expect that Lynch could have had Jurgen Prochnow reprise his role if that's what he intended.

Yeah I doubt they're the same character but I'm willing to accept any possibility with what's been shown so far.

Will probably do a rewatch of first two parts again today and 3&4 tomorrow. Initially frustrated by the overall week to week wait but with how this is structured I'm thankful for the downtime for rewatches to let things properly percolate and digest accordingly. This is something to be savored and meditated on.

Joqu

So, the black and white scene with the giant. Still curtains in the background but a completely different interior from any red room scene, and obviously a lack of red. And the giant calls it "our home". My interpretation is that it's some sort of black lodge spinoff place he created to give Coop some form of comfort during his long wait. Did anyone else read it this way?

Was more a rhetorical "what the fuck" than a literal one, but cheers nonetheless.

I'd say the thing that is most confusing/intriguing me is
The Arm's doppelganger. Since I assumed BOB, MIKE, the Arm, Giant and the rest above the convenience store were spirits, I assumed that they were separate from the doppelgangers, which were tied specifically to humans. However, since the Arm apparently has a doppelganger that was the statue (?), what is its role and purpose? Does MIKE have a doppelganger, what about BOB? And how this connects to the glass box is definitely what I'm most curious about.

We already knew the arm had a doppelganger from the season 2 finale.

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.ne...f52e50d.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111126085011

The creepy light eyes used to be the tell. There's just a slight lack of eyes on his evolution.

Joqu

PSY・S;237695637 said:
I can't stop thinking about the mother scene.

I want another eraserhead type film 😢

I loved that scene so much. I guess I need to watch Eraserhead now.

So, the black and white scene with the giant. Still curtains in the background but a completely different interior from any red room scene, and obviously a lack of red. And the giant calls it "our home". My interpretation is that it's some sort of black lodge spinoff place he created to give Coop some form of comfort during his long wait. Did anyone else read it this way?

We already knew the arm had a doppelganger from the season 2 finale.

https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.ne...f52e50d.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111126085011

The creepy light eyes used to be the tell. There's just a slight lack of eyes on his evolution.

Shit yeah, you're right. Completely forgot about that. I stayed up until 4am to watch the first two parts, I think my brain is still trying to recover.

PSY・S;237695637 said:
I can't stop thinking about the mother scene.

I want another eraserhead type film 😢

You and me too buddy.
During the fireplace room/cigarette lighter sequence I was just thinking "can we just chill here for another few episodes?" lol. Love that atmosphere.

gun_haver

David Lynch´s trademark long-cuts really don´t respect your time and I love it. It´s hilarious how ridiculous they are.

I know you're saying you don't mind, but I'm getting pretty sick of this phrase 'don't respect your time'. There's an attitude going around that everything has to be brief and snappy or it's 'not respecting your time'. I guess this is because people think there is so much to do all the time that you need to get in and get out, but it's a kind of whirlwind tourism approach to taking in works of art or media products that I think is encouraging some shitty trends.

SOLDIER

Watching the TP analysis videos on YouTube, but is there also a good wiki that details everything from the first two seasons while also NOT updating with anything from season 2?

I mainly just want a character guide that doesn't mention any season 3 updates.

Kalor

So, the black and white scene with the giant. Still curtains in the background but a completely different interior from any red room scene, and obviously a lack of red. And the giant calls it "our home". My interpretation is that it's some sort of black lodge spinoff place he created to give Coop some form of comfort during his long wait. Did anyone else read it this way

I was thinking that it was the white lodge or whatever the Black Lodge counterpart mentioned in late season 2 was. Although that would bring up the question of how these two lodges are connected if that is the case.

I know you're saying you don't mind, but I'm getting pretty sick of this phrase 'don't respect your time'. There's an attitude going around that everything has to be brief and snappy or it's 'not respecting your time'. I guess this is because people think there is so much to do all the time that you need to get in and get out, but it's a kind of whirlwind tourism approach to taking in works of art or media products that I think is encouraging some shitty trends.

Agreed. I'd be bummed if Fellini or Jodorowsky had decided to "respect my time".

LOL video games.

How crazy is it that Mr C, the evil doppelganger of Agent Dale Cooper would viciously murder someone at a motel in the desert.

american-nightmare-mrqybcp.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, they even shot at the motel that the motel in American Nightmare was modelled after (a famous location already mind).

I doubt David Lynch borrowed a scene from a spin off of a game that was heavily influenced by Twin Peaks... but I love that things folded back in on themselves so perfectly.

You know that I'm a psycho.

GAF, without spoiling anything, how was the episode? Was it classic Twin Peaks, just 25+ years later?

Depends what you consider classic Twin Peaks, but not really (in an exciting way!)

Without going into it, it feels like a sequel to Twin Peaks, rather than just a new season of Twin Peaks, in the best possible way.

He's playing a trans character. He played the same part in 1991, and it was probably the most respectful and progressive depiction of someone transgender up to that point in history.

Didnt watch the show in the 90s but maybe 9 - 10 years ago. Would've needed a Season 1 - 2 summary maybe.

GAF, without spoiling anything, how were the episodes? Was it classic Twin Peaks, just 25+ years later?

It's a follow up by the original artist after 25 years of evolving and developing. So no. It's daring. It's surreal. It's darker. It's funny. Some moments seem more like his other projects than they do Twin Peaks, but when a familiar face is on screen back in the town of Twin Peaks, I don't know if anything else made 25 years later could feel as much like the original series.

big ander

Maybe it was just cause I finally saw it for the first time hours before the premiere, but 1+2 reminded me a ton of Missing Pieces. Scenes arranged roughly in chronological order, but with very little connective tissue, and many scenes felt like the runoff from actual scenes. which is great, I loved Missing Pieces. and I guess FWWM is pretty similar in structure anyway--I don't know if I'll ever resort to a fan cut but Missing Pieces definitely had me wishing Lynch had just made FWWM like 4 hours long. the majority of it could've stayed in without detracting from the potency of it being Laura's story
mhm. already seeing "sorry not sorry" type reactions saying stuff like "I tried but I just don't have the attention span!" so what, if it were the same but moved quicker it'd be better? huh? I can't imagine experiencing art solely through the lens of "how speedily was information delivered to me."

GAF, without spoiling anything, how was the episode? Was it classic Twin Peaks, just 25+ years later?

That's a loaded question. Many fans attached to different aspects of Twin Peaks. What's classic to one fan is dreadful to another.

I said it before, but much like Twin Peaks in 1990 was a culmination of David Lynch up to that point, Twin Peaks in 2017 is a culmination of David Lynch up until this point.

The story is a continuation of the season 2 finale and FWWM. So take that as you will.

I love love love the way Lynch's work gets into your head and just stores up there, its feelers working their way around your subconscious and playing with your notions of symbol systems, archetypes, and dream logic. It's beautiful. So much of the imagery and feel of those episodes is lingering with me in a way very few other media manages to. No other artist I can think of has so effectively created that particular sensation of tapping into that deep well of the unknown and making the dark things that emerge seem so tangible. Plumbing the depths indeed. I already changed my mind about appreciating the week to week wait, can we get it all now please.

ActWan

Holy shit, episode 3 was all out Lynch mode. I still can't believe this thing was on TV.
It's a fucking miracle that we're going to get 18 episodes of pure Lynch...Thanks Showtime.

That box in NYC was some Lovecraftian shit! My god that was creepy. So good.

As is the usual with Lynch's work, the atmosphere is 10/10. I did well up a bit whenever I saw the Log Lady though. Ben and Jerry were hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom