• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
How I feel about the new season so far. EP.4 SPOILERS

tumblr_oqdd24YvGI1qzk2upo1_500.jpg

I'm genuinely interested in how (part 3)
Dougie came into existence. Was he born an adult male? Was he as blank and dumb as RainCoop or even more so? Why the hell is he cheating on Naomi Watts?

Yeah I mentioned above how I'm wondering if we get to see the process of how doubles are formed. I expect an appropriately gooey and stop-motion Eraserhead-like sequence :p

read a post about how the whole watching the box and waiting for something weird to happen is like a commentary on watching the show ��

I could see this being the case on some level. I liked one writer's take on FWWM that the television at the beginning getting smashed was essentially Lynch saying fuck the show/tv in general, here's somethin that'll really make your head spin :)

Holy crap, how did I miss this? That's so simple. I had thought
that Dougie was created as the intended vessel for the good Cooper and had assumed the guys trying to kill him was related to a different subplot.

I'm assuming. Part 3.

Mr C presumably knew he'd likely be incapacitated, and perhaps by necessity would need to be geographically removed from Dougie when things went down. It's possible the hitmen attempt is nothing to do with Mr C, but it would make sense for Mr C to set something up because presumably he has to recognize that Coop represents a genuine threat to him.

I love Mr C.

PizzaFace

Banned
I wish I could go back ten years and tell myself that (ep3/4 spoilers)
Michael Cera
would one day be staring in another season of Twin Peaks

Edit: Oh hey, I'm not a member!!!!

aravuus

Lynch's FBI agent (he was in the previous seasons irrc) is also a very funny character.

Lynch was also great fun in Louie.

I found it a bit funny how
it's Lynch's character that seems the most baffled at everything - he's probably said something akin to "what the hell" more times than every other character combined so far.

How I feel about the new season so far. EP.4 SPOILERS

tumblr_oqdd24YvGI1qzk2upo1_500.jpg

Man I fucking hope this guy wasn't a one scene wonder

I need more of him

big ander

so we just posting pt 3+4 stuff out in the open now? I thought it had to stay tagged until it airs proper...

read a post about how the whole watching the box and waiting for something weird to happen is like a commentary on watching the show 👀
my hope is that Lynch sees that theory too and is like "wtf...no. you idiots. it's a glass box."

mjp2417

Banned
I don't know if anyone pointed it out, spoil tagging this because I think it's Part, 3 but in
Gordon Cole has a picture of Franz Kafka hanging in his office. Wonderful if it's a dig on the confounding beauracracy of the FBI.

The juxtaposition of Kafka on one wall and a mushroom cloud on the other in a fucking FBI office is so good

Ep. 3 Spoiler
I found it a bit funny how it's Lynch's character that seems the most baffled at everything - he's probably said something akin to "what the hell" more times than every other character combined so far.

Man I rewound and watched that part a few times. SO good.

I'm assuming. Part 3.

Mr C presumably knew he'd likely be incapacitated, and perhaps by necessity would need to be geographically removed from Dougie when things went down. It's possible the hitmen attempt is nothing to do with Mr C, but it would make sense for Mr C to set something up because presumably he has to recognize that Coop represents a genuine threat to him.

I love Mr C.

Watts character says something to the effect of
"There's enough here to pay it all back..." when she sees the money that Cooper won. Which tells me that Dougie owed some major money to some bad people and that may be tied to the thugs tracking him down and trying to kill him as he leaves with the hooker.

I think its a separate plot having to do with the Dougie character that Cooper is going to end up getting caught up in. Though it may end up being connected to Mr. C in some way by the time its all wrapped up.

Depends what you consider classic Twin Peaks, but not really (in an exciting way!)

Without going into it, it feels like a sequel to Twin Peaks, rather than just a new season of Twin Peaks, in the best possible way.

Which episode? 1-3 are uh....different but 4 is creeping up to that Twin Peaks tone.

It's a follow up by the original artist after 25 years of evolving and developing. So no. It's daring. It's surreal. It's darker. It's funny. Some moments seem more like his other projects than they do Twin Peaks, but when a familiar face is on screen back in the town of Twin Peaks, I don't know if anything else made 25 years later could feel as much like the original series.

That's a loaded question. Many fans attached to different aspects of Twin Peaks. What's classic to one fan is dreadful to another.

I said it before, but much like Twin Peaks in 1990 was a culmination of David Lynch up to that point, Twin Peaks in 2017 is a culmination of David Lynch up until this point.

The story is a continuation of the season 2 finale and FWWM. So take that as you will.

Very interesting, makes me excited to start watching the new season tonight.
Thanks GAF!

I might watch the first two episodes again I loved them so much.
I rewatched all of S1 and S2 leading up the premiere last night. Tonight I'll rewatch Fire Walk with Me and then I plan to rewatch all four in the next week or two leading up to episode 5.

is 3 & 4 another two parter? or are they separate?

curious if they're separate and if 3 & 4 are definitely airing next week and not just 3

Just part 3 as far as I can tell. I mean, its one continuing story regardless but they aren't listed as parts of the same episode.

Yeah try and keep 3 and 4 stuff tagged no matter how Minor. I may have even slipped up once or twice because the four episodes blended together when I watched them at the same time.

(All ep spoilers)

I'm pretty sure Doppelganger Cooper is Bob. It's a different visual technique than the show originally used, but without Silva back, it works. It provides motivation, too - Bob wants to escape the Lodge forever, which is why the residents aid real Cooper, and why Boop/Doppelganger/Mr. C/whatever created Dougie.

Kurdel

Banned
Loved all 4 episodes .

I now understand what David Lynch meant when he said he considers this an 18 hour movie.

Seeing Coop being
beamed out of a wall socket is top tier wtf.

Jocund

is 3 & 4 another two parter? or are they separate?

curious if they're separate and if 3 & 4 are definitely airing next week and not just 3

Yes. After next week, Showtime will be airing an episode a week. So episode 5 will be premiering by itself, then 6 after that.

(All ep spoilers)

I'm pretty sure Doppelganger Cooper is Bob. It's a different visual technique than the show originally used, but without Silva back, it works. It provides motivation, too - Bob wants to escape the Lodge forever, which is why the residents aid real Cooper, and why Boop/Doppelganger/Mr. C/whatever created Dougie.

Lynch has surprisingly been quoted talking on this subject. Like actually *correcting* people about it, which he basically never does.

The doppelganger isn't Bob.

ActWan

The doppelganger is meant to get pulled back in the lodge, and than Coop will be able to leave. However, the doppelganger somehow manufactured another Coop (Dougie) and managed to set things up so that Dougie got sucked back in instead, and Coop ended up replacing him, leaving Mr C out and about. Mr C I believe tried to set it up to kill Dougie (really Coop) shortly after 253, but obviously luck or fate intervened there.

Thanks. I've also read a theory somewhere that
Mr. C bought the whole glass chamber to keep Coop from returning, but it backfired by sending that creature there and letting Coop go (maybe that's the "Mother"?)

I don't get how people keep making posts like this when this show is steeped top to bottom in Twin Peaks lore.

It isn't paced or presented like the original show, but neither were some eps of the original run and certainly not FWWM.

Did a bunch of you just not watch after the killer reveal? Or only know the show by reputation?

I think part of what I'm loving so much in these first four episodes is how subdued Lynch has been (seriously let me finish here lol) in the pace and presentation. What I mean by that is the slow drip feed of "classic" Twin Peaks characters, atmosphere and more importantly music.

The first episode was almost entirely devoid of music outside of the intro theme. As you progress into the next 3, music starts to become more pronounced until finally we're reintroduced to
the emotion theme during Bobby Briggs breakdown at seeing Laura's picture.

It's SO deliberate and pervades throughout the structure of the first four episodes not just musically but in the pacing, introduction of new characters vs shorter scenes with the previous cast, etc. The fact that Lynch has ZERO fucking interest in taking us down a nostalgia tour of Twin Peaks is precisely what I love about this so far.

XNarte

(All ep spoilers)

Plus the long hair is very Bob-esque ;)

Rewatching 1 now, and because I'm so caught up in the discussion in this thread I forgot how great it was to see Ben & Jerry Horne. Ben speaks with the same beats and pauses in his speech that made his delivery so great before.

Lynch has surprisingly been quoted talking on this subject. Like actually *correcting* people about it, which he basically never does.

Yes, but is he currently possessed by Bob? He obviously wasn't himself in the interrogation room, Coop coming back to reality changed him somehow.

PizzaFace

Banned
(All ep spoilers)

I really don't think so, he acts nothing like him

aravuus

Sorry about possible p3/4 spoilers, can't help getting a bit over excited at times

I think part of what I'm loving so much in these first four episodes is how subdued Lynch has been (seriously let me finish here lol) in the pace and presentation. What I mean by that is the slow drip feed of "classic" Twin Peaks characters, atmosphere and more importantly music.

The first episode was almost entirely devoid of music outside of the intro theme. As you progress into the next 3, music starts to become more pronounced until finally we're reintroduced to
the emotion theme during Bobby Briggs breakdown at seeing Laura's picture.

It's SO deliberate and pervades throughout the structure of the first four episodes not just musically but in the pacing, introduction of new characters vs shorter scenes with the previous cast, etc. The fact that Lynch has ZERO fucking interest in taking us down a nostalgia tour of Twin Peaks is precisely what I love about this so far.

This is exactly what I thought of when
the Bobby scene
happened. I guess it isn't particularly subtle since I also noticed it lol, but really neat either way.

E: Mr C > Boop come on now people

I'm very curious how this plays out, because that's always been my interpretation of the end of season 2.

I'm very curious how this plays out, because that's always been my interpretation of the end of season 2.

I always felt you could take it either way. Obviously the mirror scene heavily inferred possession. But Hawk's line about facing your shadow self, and Annie's line about 'The good Dale is in the lodge and he can't get out' pointed the other way.

I think this season pretty clearly leans towards
the doppelganger being a separate entity from Bob.

Obscura

Ep 4:
I thought the brief Blue Rose discussion by Gordon and Albert was particularly interesting.

"Blue Rose?"

"The bluest." Or something similar.

That makes me think two things: Either BR doesn't refer to supernatural cases under Gordon's supervision or, more likely, Gordon knows something about Coop we don't. The reason for the former is that directly before seeing Mr. C (great scene) he and Albert were shown the image of Sam and Tracy after being attacked. Unless Gordon knows something we don't about Coop then I don't know how the box situation could be less "supernatural" than Coop acting weird. A thing came out of nothingness into a glass box, broke free and then fucking destroyed them without a trace...

PSY・S;237702591 said:
The wait for episode 5 is going to kill me. I'm running up a fever just thinking about. Let me back in, dammit!

Mr. C sounds like an orange juice mascot.

Boop is all you need.

Mr C is literally what people in the show are calling him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom