• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joqu

I was thinking that it was the white lodge or whatever the Black Lodge counterpart mentioned in late season 2 was. Although that would bring up the question of how these two lodges are connected if that is the case.

The way I see it they're two sides of the same coin. Not that I'm that big on the white lodge stuff in general, we haven't seen a whole lot of white lodge action outside of Briggs's interpretations and maybe the giant, so I'm not too impressed by the supposed powers of that place. But the giant has appeared in the red room too, so maybe they're...

PDVD_273.jpg

?

The way I see it they're two sides of the same coin. Not that I'm that big on the white lodge stuff in general, we haven't seen a whole lot of white lodge action outside of Briggs's interpretations and maybe the giant, so I'm not too impressed by the supposed powers of that place. But the giant has appeared in the red room too, so maybe they're...

?

The giant is one and the same with Senor Droolcup, not the arm.

As for Jacoby's golden shovels, I think they are for a groundbreaking of a new Ben Horne project. I don't know why Jacoby has that role or why he's working for Ben Horne, but I'm sticking to it.

Joqu

As for Jacoby's golden shovels, I think they are for a groundbreaking of a new Ben Horne project. I don't know why Jacoby has that role or why he's working for Ben Horne, but I'm sticking to it.

He's obviously going to excavate the lost season 2 plot threads

He's not 'Bob Cooper'. He's not possessed by Bob.

He's the doppelganger.

And his name is Mr C. And you should count yourself lucky if you never meet a man like him.

Only problem is some scenes run waaaaayyyyyy too long.

How much fucking spray paint was in that can lol

So as we progress I'm curious if the tone and pacing of the original in terms of score will begin to realign more, especially what with
the music swelling more in 4 when Bobby sees Laura's photo and the other themes that begin to play more such as when Rainman Coop starts "getting it" with the coffee.

I do like this theme of the world being out of alignment and that being a reason for the more stilted seeming interactions, perhaps due to Boop's influence on the world, Coop's absence, and also as someone at Dugpa conjectured,
the world having moved on from Laura Palmer/forgetting her
. Curious about Lucy's behavior too, she seems the most unusual to me in terms of delivery compared to the other recurring characters so far. Maybe I missed it but
what was the business about her looking shellshocked and Andy talking about this spell that keeps happening to her?

So I have a really specific question about special effects.

Is there a name for the jittery, erratic and stuttered movement that the monster in the glass box had? Because that unnatural movement that looks like something moving at an extremely high framerate deeply unsettles me. Some more examples of what I'm talking about -

The ghost in PT
The buff dude in the restraints in Jacob's Ladder
Iron Maidens in Resident Evil 4
The Ring
The Grudge

Obscura

David Lynch´s trademark long-cuts really don´t respect your time and I love it. It´s hilarious how ridiculous they are.

He gives Frank Henenlotter a run for his money in the "hilariously long take" department. Wouldn't be surprised if, in Lynch's case, it's a direct result of meditation and thus "living in the moment."

Joqu

So as we progress I'm curious if the tone and pacing of the original in terms of score will begin to realign more, especially what with
the music swelling more in 4 when Bobby sees Laura's photo and the other themes that begin to play more such as when Rainman Coop starts "getting it" with the coffee.

I do like this theme of the world being out of alignment and that being a reason for the more stilted seeming interactions, perhaps due to Boop's influence on the world, Coop's absence, and also as someone at Dugpa conjectured, the world having moved on from Laura Palmer/forgetting her. Curious about Lucy's behavior too, she seems the most unusual to me in terms of delivery compared to the other recurring characters so far. Maybe I missed it but
what was the business about her looking shellshocked and Andy talking about this spell that keeps happening to her?

She just keeps freaking out over the concept of mobile phones. Andy says she's great at her job except for this one thing.

Obscura

I do like this theme of the world being out of alignment and that being a reason for the more stilted seeming interactions, perhaps due to Boop's influence on the world, Coop's absence, and also as someone at Dugpa conjectured,
the world having moved on from Laura Palmer/forgetting her
. Curious about Lucy's behavior too, she seems the most unusual to me in terms of delivery compared to the other recurring characters so far. Maybe I missed it but

She is too dumb to understand cell phones. That's it ha.

Who's the Dugy guy who is also another Cooper? That was sent back to the Lodge.

A double that doppel coop created, the one armed man said the purpose he was created for never materialized iirc. Now he's a golden ball bearing lol.

She is too dumb to understand cell phones. That's it ha.

lol okay, thought there may have been something deeper there but simplest explanation works I guess. Tonally its sometimes harder to find where things are coming from with all the silence, so much of it feels like dream logic (but still loving it).

This season seems to be more Inland Empire/Eraserhead than anything else, 3 episodes in at least.

I just don't see this. Those are probably the 2 most experimental films Lynch has ever done. The vast majority of this is more in line with the FWWM/LH/MH triumverate- mostly played straight but when it gets out there, it gets out there.

The thing that makes Erasherhead/Inland Empire unique is that they stay in a profound state of weirdness for pretty much their entire duration. The rest of his work relies on that weirdness being strategically deployed for maximum effect at certain points. That's the way that Lynch is so far playing this season.

'The good dale is in the lodge and he can't get out. Write it in your diary'.

Bob's checking in on the doppelganger there if you ask me, but the doppelganger is not Bob. Bob has shown up in a mirror at least once before, in a different context to showing that Leland was possessed.

Bill may be possessed by Bob, but Mr C is not.

ActWan

I actually think that's just a small moment of control by BOB, because he laughed about the earlier "How's Annie?", and in the deleted scene from The Missing Pieces you can see he's back talking like "doppelganger cooper" afterwards. Pretty sure he's just the doppelganger, but I really have no clue who this Dougie is....

'The good dale is in the lodge and he can't get out. Write it in your diary'.

Bob's checking in on the doppelganger there if you ask me, but the doppelganger is not Bob. Bob has shown up in a mirror at least once before, in a different context to showing that Leland was possessed.

Bill may be possessed by Bob, but Mr C is not.

I actually think that's just a small moment of control by BOB, because he laughed about the earlier "How's Annie?", and in the deleted scene from The Missing Pieces you can see he's back talking like "doppelganger cooper" afterwards. Pretty sure he's just the doppelganger, but I really have no clue who this Dougie is....

That's fair.

Vic_Viper

Is there a promo yet for episode 5?

Just finished ep 4, I love everything about this season accept for OG Coop. I know hes been gone for 25 years, stuck in the Black Lodge, but I hope he returns to his normal self soon. Seeing him like this is hilarious but it would be pretty disappointing if hes going to be like this the whole season lol.

He was created by someone (bob?) to trick cooper.Basically a way of stopping cooper and his doppganger swapping like they should have

Ah that's it, thanks for the explanation. I knew
doppel coop was obv trying to prevent having to go back to the black lodge but didn't quite understand how Dougie fit into it. Essentially a "dummy" Coop, maybe that's why everyone has been putting up with Rainman Coop's behavior xD

Interested if we get to see how such a double is spawned. I'm guessing lots of garmonbozia :p

Just finished ep 4, I love everything about this season accept for OG Coop. I know hes been gone for 25 years, stuck in the Black Lodge, but I hope he returns to his normal self soon. Seeing him like this is hilarious but it would be pretty disappointing if hes going to be like this the whole season lol.

Based on how they've advertised things so far I doubt we get traditional episode promos. Maybe some mid-season or finale teasers but even that could be stretching it.

The doppelganger is meant to get pulled back in the lodge, and than Coop will be able to leave. However, the doppelganger somehow manufactured another Coop (Dougie) and managed to set things up so that Dougie got sucked back in instead, and Coop ended up replacing him, leaving Mr C out and about. Mr C I believe tried to set it up to kill Dougie (really Coop) shortly after 253, but obviously luck or fate intervened there.

Reckoner

He already had his coffee. Next 4 eps he will have his cherry pie and doughnuts and we will be set.

I will say this, Kyle Machlaclan looks like he's having a lot of fun with these roles hehe

Zousi

There is a madman on the loose and his name is David Lynch. I mean that ep 3, just...wow. Really enjoyed these first four. I have a good feeling about this.

A double that doppel coop created, the one armed man said the purpose he was created for never materialized iirc. Now he's a golden ball bearing lol.

Actually, he said it's been "fulfilled". Coop was supposed to swap places with Mr. C but instead he swapped with poor Dougie. Mr. C created him to take a bullet for him when the time came, he took it, and his raison d'être has been realised.

read a post about how the whole watching the box and waiting for something weird to happen is like a commentary on watching the show 👀

I tried to watch last night. Was way too tired and fell asleep about halfway through part 2. It was extremely unnerving to fall in and out of consciousness to this show. Can't wait to go home and watch more.

Just from what I've seen it's surpassed my expectations. Exactly what I imagined Twin Peaks would be like without focus group tested network BS.

The doppelganger is meant to get pulled back in the lodge, and than Coop will be able to leave. However, the doppelganger somehow manufactured another Coop (Dougie) and managed to set things up so that Dougie got sucked back in instead, and Coop ended up replacing him, leaving Mr C out and about. Mr C I believe tried to set it up to kill Dougie (really Coop) shortly after 253, but obviously luck or fate intervened there.

Holy crap, how did I miss this? That's so simple. I had thought
that Dougie was created as the intended vessel for the good Cooper and had assumed the guys trying to kill him was related to a different subplot.

I'm genuinely interested in how (part 3)
Dougie came into existence. Was he born an adult male? Was he as blank and dumb as RainCoop or even more so? Why the hell is he cheating on Naomi Watts?

I don't know if anyone pointed it out, spoil tagging this because I think it's Part, 3 but in
Gordon Cole has a picture of Franz Kafka hanging in his office. Wonderful if it's a dig on the confounding beauracracy of the FBI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom