• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

Havent watched Twin Peaks for about a decade, do I need to do a rewatch or can you essentially watch this season on its own?

So I would say the best thing to do is what I did: watch the last episode of Season 2. It's only 50 minutes and it will remind you of much of what was happenng at the end. In many ways, despite taking place 25 years later, Season 3 feels like it picks up right where Season 2 ended. Not literally, but plot-wise.

It's so weird that Laura even says "I'll see you in 25 years," in the last ep of S2. Like this was all destined to happen the way it did.

Some people apparently waited 26 years!

I've waited at least 17 years (watched it for the first time 17 years ago). Still....I'm speechless.

The scene where (Episode 4)
Bobby sees the picture of Laura and starts crying....and the music starts

Perfection. It's like Lynch was always in Twin Peaks during the last 25-27 years.
This scene was like...should I laugh? Should I cry? I'm doing both inside....the quirkiness is back.

HotHamBoy

I've waited at least 17 years (watched it for the first time 17 years ago). Still....I'm speechless.

The scene where (Episode 4)
Bobby sees the picture of Laura and starts crying....and the music starts

Perfection. It's like Lynch was always in Twin Peaks during the last 25-27 years.
This scene was like...should I laugh? Should I cry? I'm doing both inside....the quirkiness is back.

It seems really over the top but I agree with other posters that it's a reasonable reaction to having such a major ghost of your past suddenly thrust in your face after 25 years with no warning. Laura traumatised Bobby.

Plus everyone was always crying hysterically about Laura in the original show, it totally fit the scene.

It's not so much the story itself feeling disjointed, rather the editing, the multiple locations, the brief screentime most characters get, the sleepwalking a lot of actor's do, the surrealist imagery, etc.

This is Lynch's most experimental narrative since Eraserhead, IMO. It compares to Inland Empire.

This is what I don't understand. How is it more experimental than what he was doing in Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive?

It feels hard to say something like that without having it be a complete thing. Imagine watching the first hour of Mulholland Drive and making the same comparison:

-Random Creepy Old People
-Truly horrific diner scene with characters never referenced again
- Tarantino-esque Hitman hijinks
- The whole Justin Theroux storyline including requisite MJA cameo
- Naomi Watts as the world's most naive Hollywood hopeful

That would be far more disjointed than anything presented here. But the finale of MD brings it together. We aren't here yet for TP. Same applies to Lost Highway. Imagine watching the movie and then stopping immediately after the Pullman-Getty handoff.

However just the way Twin Peaks is being filmed is reasonably conventional. Lynch pulls out the stops when the scene demands that but outside of those moments the camera work is restrained (moreso than the original series). The editing for most scenes follows a normal rhythm but you still get the periodic scenes where Lynch intentionally holds the scene to the point of becoming uncomfortable (a Lynch trademark). Even the red room stuff is shot and edited more normally than the Season 2 finale and FWWM.

I can't wait for Coop to
recover and being full coffee-thumbs-up-cherry-pie-Coop again

This is going to be glorious.

Also,
Rosenfield
...episode 4 is pretty depressing if you love this character and
Miguel Ferrer. RIP.

Blader

Three episodes in and loving it so far. Feels like a good balance between the old seasons and Fire Walk With Me. I'm really impressed with what Lynch is doing. Also, Chromatics! Hope that means Dear Tommy is back on track for release this year.

Anyone else love the new credits sequence? Something about the transition from waterfall to red curtains to swirling Red Room floor design is just really cool.

Havent watched Twin Peaks for about a decade, do I need to do a rewatch or can you essentially watch this season on its own?

You should at least rewatch the S2 finale.

I can't believe Lynch seriously suggested anyone who had never seen this show before would be just fine starting here. :lol As confusing as some things are now, I can't imagine any of it making any sense if you have no idea about Bob, the Black Lodge, and where Cooper ends up at the end of S2.

Ok, thats really jarring. I instantly recognized a song in episode 4. I usually listen to the Jazz playlist on Spotify in morning while I work and one of favorite track was, "Take Five" by David Brubeck. That was pretty awesome moment for me. I knew David Lynch had good taste in music.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Jesus Early episode 3 spoilers
at the opening to Episode 3. I'm in love with the franetic cut and loops here along with the environment Coop seems to be in. This a sort of cosmic horror I didnt know I wanted

dreams

It's a tree with bubblegum on it.

I WILL FIGHT YOU.

Lmao I mean I guess you're literally right. I went back and looked at it because I remembered it distinctly looking like nerves but frick if it isn't literally a tree. I'm still gonna imagine it as a brain and nerves tho for my own sanity. I can't handle "a tree with bubblegum on it"

T
Anyone else love the new credits sequence? Something about the transition from waterfall to red curtains to swirling Red Room floor design is just really cool.

yeah, it's so disorienting I love it.

and big shout out to the first episode's credits sequence. all that ominous imagery from the pilot and then...the song and title finally drops haha. was such a good welcome back moment.

Flipyap

Even the red room stuff is shot and edited more normally than the Season 2 finale and FWWM.
noL03ll.gif

suK1qBt.gif

jjySzAg.gif

I knew Michael Cera was in this, so when they were going to meet Wally I was like "Please be him , please be him." I was pleased.

"My dharma is the road. Your dharma is....."

Menome

Just finished Episodes 1&2. I'm saving 3&4 for next week, so I'll be ducking out of the thread after this as I'm already making connections from what people are blacking out here.

I'm initially a bit dubious about having so much of the runtime happening outside of Twin Peaks itself, but I'll place my trust in Lynch to have these disparate threads connect in later episodes. I just hope it doesn't distract too much from the sideways-stories of the Twin Peaks residents. Those kooky side-bits were what made the original series what it was, and it'd be a shame to lose some of the underlying humour that contrasted against the darker main story.

Overall though, a great start with plenty of promise.

Flipyap

I knew Michael Cera was in this, so when they were going to meet Wally I was like "Please be him , please be him." I was pleased.

"My dharma is the road. Your dharma is....."
It sounds like Cera's role might be microscopic, so we probably won't get it, but what I wouldn't give to see Wally and James together in a scene. Just two cool guys talking about cool things and being cool, as they've always been.

Helmholtz

This has been great so far. Appropriately weird. So cool to see a lot of returning characters...there are 18 episodes in total so I'm not too concerned about the relatively slow pacing of the first four.

It sounds like Cera's role might be microscopic, so we probably won't get it, but what I wouldn't give to see Wally and James together in a scene. Just two cool guys talking about cool things and being cool, as they've always been.

Holy shit yes.

Mother of God when
Cera's character appeared.

It was late at night, and I was dying trying not to laugh and wake up the whole house.

Holy fuck that whole thing was cringy and beautiful.

I really think episode 4 connects the dots. I'm not entirely sure how and why (I have to watch it again) but it sure feels like it's going to be more classic Twin Peaks from now on.
Episode 1+ 2 were amazing but Lynch didn't really want to go to Twin Peaks this early it seems.
Episode 3 is
a complete mindfuck but shows Cooper's journey back to real life/ reality
....and probably something more but that's too early to tell. Episode 4 is
pretty much 1990's Twin Peaks. That was truly amazing.
Also, the fractured story seems to be not fractured at all. There IS something we don't know. Something we can't see (just like in season 1 and half of season 2). There's a mystery that needs to be solved.

Coop, you need to come back
....soon!!!!!!

I really think episode 4 connects the dots. I'm not entirely sure how and why (I have to watch it again) but it sure feels like it's going to be more classic Twin Peaks from now on.
Episode 1+ 2 were amazing but Lynch didn't really want to go to Twin Peaks this early it seems.
Episode 3 is
a complete mindfuck but shows Cooper's journey back to real life/ reality
....and probably something more but that's too early to tell. Episode 4 is
pretty much 1990's Twin Peaks. That was truly amazing.
Also, the fractured story seems to be not fractured at all. There IS something we don't know. Something we can't see (just like in season 1 and half of season 2). There's a mystery that needs to be solved.

Coop, you need to come back
....soon!!!!!!

God I hope
lynch doesn't drag this out. I need Coop back badly :(

gforguava

There is nothing better than
Michael Cera's
scene. I just couldn't stop laughing and then it kept going and going and going.

Flipyap

Maybe I should have added a Convenience Store qualifier but I would say the overlap of the FBI sequence in FWWM with the Convenience Store shenanigans is every bit as insane, if not moreso.
The editing in that sequence was certainly unconventional, but those were two traditionally and beautifully shot scenes edited together. It still looked like a film. Nothing in the original incarnation of the show compares to Lynch wildly shaking the camera and using special effects and editing techniques which he only really used before in his animation projects (see: I Touch A Red Button )

GRW810

Only watched 1&2. It was good in its own merits bit I enjoy it as a Twin Peaks episode. It felt like a spin-off or quasi-remake.

The lodge stuff was very old school and there were a few old faces like Hawk, Andy and Log Lady, but to devote much of the opening episode(s) to new characters, new stories and new locations was a strange choice.

Felt like it was all a bit weird for weird's sake at times. I remember there being a lot more normality in the original show.

The atmosphere was strange, more like movie Lynch than TP Lynch. The pacing was also iffy, even for TP. Random, disjointed scenes here and there, like the hotel scene early on that went nowhere and the random inclusion of Shelly and James at the bar at the end.

Where was Norma? Where was Audrey?

Despite sounding negative though, I did enjoy the experience.

Only watched 1&2. It was good in its own merits bit I enjoy it as a Twin Peaks episode. It felt like a spin-off or quasi-remake.

The lodge stuff was very old school and there were a few old faces like Hawk, Andy and Log Lady, but to devote much of the opening episode(s) to new characters, new stories and new locations was a strange choice.

Felt like it was all a bit weird for weird's sake at times. I remember there being a lot more normality in the original show.

The atmosphere was strange, more like movie Lynch than TP Lynch. The pacing was also iffy, even for TP. Random, disjointed scenes here and there, like the hotel scene early on that went nowhere and the random inclusion of Shelly and James at the bar at the end.

You're 2 episodes into a season ending in September. Give it time.

Episode 3 is even more strange. It's probably the weirdest thing Lynch has ever made....but it's good...very good.
And then....Episode 4 will bring you back to Twin Peaks.

The last thing I want is Coop just magically turning back to old Coop and saying his lines and eating pie and shit. He should suffer for a long time. For him to supposedly be trapped for 25 years and then oh it's been a few days I'm cool now would be absurd. Not to mention it's fan pandering primarily.

This show is perfect. 4 episodes in and I already think this is the best TP has ever been. Pure madness but if you follow the threads everything holds together. The sense of danger and unease is back.

hamchan

I do wonder if the doppelgänger is possessed by Bob or not. The long hair look seems to say yes. But he hasn't done his trademark crazy grin yet, not even while murdering.

Anyone have that graph of seasons 1 and 2 episodes that show which are great, mediocore, awful, etc? I'm on S2E13 and I don't think it's quite as bad as I was expecting, minus James and Nadine.

I do wonder if the doppelgänger is possessed by Bob or not. The long hair look seems to say yes. But he hasn't done his trademark crazy grin yet, not even while murdering.
I've been wondering this as well. The hair is on point but the cold blooded, expressionless way The doppel kills is very unlike Bob.
Color me intrigued.

The last thing I want is Coop just magically turning back to old Coop and saying his lines and eating pie and shit. He should suffer for a long time. For him to supposedly be trapped for 25 years and then oh it's been a few days I'm cool now would be absurd. Not to mention it's fan pandering primarily.

I want his, I need this. ASAP.

That's true but (Episode 4)
remember the coffee? Too hot?
That was an evil grin even if it's supposed to be the
good Cooper
?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom