• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashby

Walking back into the thread with my tail between my legs here but after I freaked out over how much I hated Episode 1 I watched Episode 2 today and absolutely fucking loved it. It felt like Twin Peaks.

Flipyap

I do wonder if the doppelgänger is possessed by Bob or not. The long hair look seems to say yes. But he hasn't done his trademark crazy grin yet, not even while murdering.
I don't think he's possessed, if Bob is still with him, it's more like he's taking Bob along for the ride.
an old interview from Lynch on Lynch said:
INTERVIEWER: So, was Cooper occupied by BOB in the script before you changed it?

LYNCH: No, but Coop wasn't occupied by BOB. Part of him was. There are two Coops in there, and the one that came out was, you know, with BOB.

And if that's the case, it sounds like "Phillip Jeffries" wants Doop to deliver Bob back (!) to him:

nK0J17G.png

Tin foil hat speculation, hidden in shame tags:
Okay, for real now. Is that Leland posting as Phillip Jeffries?

The final moments of episode 2 made me tear up. What a perfect sequence, from the music to the setting and seeing Shelly and James.

It's like they never left.

Ashby

I don't think he's possessed, if Bob is still with him, it's more like he's taking Bob along for the ride.

And if that's the case, it sounds like "Phillip Jeffries" wants Doop to deliver Bob back (!) to him:

nK0J17G.png

Man, this sounds like Bad Coop isn't just an evil spirit with Coop's face but some part of the *actual* Coop that was spun-off into its own entity. A distillation of whatever negative energies were hidden inside him. That's very disturbing.

The final moments of episode 2 made me tear up. What a perfect sequence, from the music to the setting and seeing Shelly and James.

It's like they never left.
That was all I needed. The first episode felt like a middle finger in the face from Lynch to the more "mainstream" Twin Peaks fans (of which I count myself). I'm content to put up with his heroin weirdness if he'll throw me a bone like the end of Episode 2 every once in a while through this season.

Ep.4

Bobby crying over Laura's picture reminded me of all the hysterical crying in the first episode of season one
lol

But he did a good job.

There is nothing better than
Michael Cera's
scene. I just couldn't stop laughing and then it kept going and going and going.

solid gold. solid. gold.

Loved every second of the 4 episodes.

I had a weird reaction when
Bobby cried seeing the picture of Laura.

I choked up a bit. I remember his conversation with jacoby about her when he was in therapy in season one of the original series.

Episode 3 is even more strange. It's probably the weirdest thing Lynch has ever made....but it's good...very good.
And then....Episode 4 will bring you back to Twin Peaks.

I almost wonder if that was on purpose. Like the first 3 are WTF am I watching level, and 4 is like....ok ok.....they get it....and we will get it too.... when they want to give it to us lol.

My quick Twin Peaks season comparison guide:

Season 1: "This is, excuse me, a damn fine cup of coffee."
Season 2: "I still can't get the taste of fish-filtered coffee out of my mouth."
Season 3: "Black as midnight on a moonless night."

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
LOL video games.

How crazy is it that Mr C, the evil doppelganger of Agent Dale Cooper would viciously murder someone at a motel in the desert.

american-nightmare-mrqybcp.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, they even shot at the motel that the motel in American Nightmare was modelled after (a famous location already mind).

I doubt David Lynch borrowed a scene from a spin off of a game that was heavily influenced by Twin Peaks... but I love that things folded back in on themselves so perfectly.

You know that I'm a psycho.

The name Mr. C is especially making me think of Mr. Scratch and the murderer set-up, but Mr. Scratch is a lot goofier while Mr. C is deadly serious.

jett

D-Member
Ep.4

Bobby crying over Laura's picture reminded me of all the hysterical crying in the first episode of season one
lol

But he did a good job.

I didn't even recognize
Bobby at first. The name rung a bell, but I had to do a quick google search to remember what character he was supposed to be lol. Father time gets us all.

I didn't even recognize
Bobby at first. The name rung a bell, but I had to do a quick google search to remember what character he was supposed to be lol. Father time gets us all.

Yeah I've had a few instances of not recognizing certain people. No way I'd have recognized
James
if I hadn't seen a recent photo.

Yeah I've had a few instances of not recognizing certain people. No way I'd have recognized
James
if I hadn't seen a recent photo.

He's just so cool ....now.

OT: I've seen TP, FWWM, Dune, Eraserhead, and Mulholland Drive, but finding all of them on amazon is kind of tough. I wish they had a nice box set of his works

Blader

I can't even begin to process what it means that Jeffries would be working with, or giving orders to, BOB/Doppel-Coop. How do you square that with his appearance in FWWM? Really curious to see how that plays out in the rest of the season, if at all.

Question about Ep. 3
When Coop is in...space, or wherever...and sees the giant ghost face floating underneath that says "blue rose," was that supposed to be Major Briggs? I didn't pick up on it at the time, but when I saw Don Davis in the credits for the episode -- and the "In Memory of Don S. Davis" right after that -- I guess that was his face?

Dusk Golem

That box in NYC was some Lovecraftian shit! My god that was creepy. So good.

As is the usual with Lynch's work, the atmosphere is 10/10. I did well up a bit whenever I saw the Log Lady though. Ben and Jerry were hilarious.

I was thinking this with the box too, I kind of doubt it was inspired by Lovecraft (if only for the reason that while I see Lovecraft's influence in a lot of things, I don't think I've ever thought anything by Lynch was particularly Lovecraftian despite a few similar things here and there), but the Glass Box and what appears inside of it it so loaded up like something out of Lovecraft it's a bit surprising to see in a Lynch work. Not that it's a bad thing, but it specifically reminded me of Lovecraft's works about trying to peer into other worlds and then the worlds peering back sort of deal.

ntinosaur

Maybe Bob and
Bizarro Coop
having the same goal of
not returning to the Black Lodge
made them work in complete synergy.

Also, question :
Did coffee snapped Cooper back to reality a little bit ? He said "Hi". He just repeats words/phrases he hears, we followed Cooper very close after his return and nobody said the word "Hi" to him.

I don't even remember Jeffries, damn I need to rewatch the first two. Or read up about things I don't recall well enough.

Also I think the best moment so far is
Catatonic Coop losing his shit over coffee

Dusk Golem

Only problem is some scenes run waaaaayyyyyy too long.

How much fucking spray paint was in that can lol

I can see Lynch 100% in that can scene. He talks about what he loves watching on TV recently is people making cars in a couple interviews for for the new series, how they're artist and fascinating to see them sculpt, tune, paint, build, etc., cars.

The
Jacoby painting scene
reminded me a lot of Lynch's obsession with seeing things be made, even if it's just
watching a guy spraypaint shovels on a mechanism that moves and turns them around.

Blader

I don't even remember Jeffries, damn I need to rewatch the first two. Or read up about things I don't recall well enough.

He was just in FWWM, and it's the most confusing scene in all of Twin Peaks by a mile. It's probably one of the most confusingly constructed scenes I've seen in any movie, really. :lol

Arooguy

My quick Twin Peaks season comparison guide:

Season 1: "This is, excuse me, a damn fine cup of coffee."
Season 2: "I still can't get the taste of fish-filtered coffee out of my mouth."
Season 3: "Black as midnight on a moonless night."

rvKFwxD.gif

This is a damn fine post.

Flipyap

I can't even begin to process what it means that Jeffries would be working with, or giving orders to, BOB/Doppel-Coop. How do you square that with his appearance in FWWM? Really curious to see how that plays out in the rest of the season, if at all.
They've already seeded the idea that it's not the real Phillip Jeffries. And since there's only one other person we've known to "be with Bob" in the last 65-ish years... I mean...
it's gotta be Leland... right? Right?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Episode 4 ending spoilers
what a line to end on from Albert. The credit roll actually made me wince because I wanted more.
The interaction between Doop and Gordon at the prison was legitimately spooky. Lynch captured the feeling of what it muat be like talking to a ghost from the past. It was just the perfect amount of off.

Blader

Oh, well I did just rewatch that. Eh. I'll read up on it.

It's Bowie's character.

They've already seeded the idea that it's not the real Phillip Jeffries. And since there's only one other person we've known to "be with Bob" in the last 65-ish years... I mean...
it's gotta be Leland... right? Right?

Well sure, the guy on the other end of the line wasn't actually Jeffries, but Bob thought he was, which makes me wonder what the real Jeffries' relationship with Bob, et al. actually was. Seems like there's more to him than just being another FBI agent caught up in interdimensional madness.

I figured the guy who was pretending to be Jeffries in that scene was Mike, who has always seemed to have an interest in redeeming Bob.
Leland being desperate to reunite with Bob
would sure be fucked up though!

Dusk Golem

I just don't see this. Those are probably the 2 most experimental films Lynch has ever done. The vast majority of this is more in line with the FWWM/LH/MH triumverate- mostly played straight but when it gets out there, it gets out there.

The thing that makes Erasherhead/Inland Empire unique is that they stay in a profound state of weirdness for pretty much their entire duration. The rest of his work relies on that weirdness being strategically deployed for maximum effect at certain points. That's the way that Lynch is so far playing this season.

I can see your definition there, for me though Eraserhead and Inland Empire's connection is that both don't stay very grounded and are more continuously nightmarish, so I agree with your assessment, but I also disagree on one point.

I think Eraserhead (and the script for Ronnie Rocket) from the start of Lynch's career have an emphasis on almost a fantasy world, as in the dark nightmarish fantasy is more the world itself in more full force rather than blended with the real world. I can see some light flashes of Eraserhead in Episode 2 purely because of some of the effects (which is also something Lynch did exclusively with Eraserhead with its meaty-look), but the beginning of episode 3 felt very early Lynch to me because of how fantastical it gets.

This said, the part that reminded me of Inland Empire was neither of these bits, but instead rather the New York box stuff. It's not quite like Inland Empire, but the atmosphere reminded me a lot of it, and the modern city setting I think.

Dusk Golem

read a post about how the whole watching the box and waiting for something weird to happen is like a commentary on watching the show 👀

People have been mentioning that, and while I don't buy that was Lynch's intention, I think there's a bigger point to be said for Cooper and commentary on the revival of TV shows said with this analogy. Episode 3/4 spoilers:
Cooper comes back to the world (a show comes back to the world), it tries to replace and build upon something already there but has lost its way and needs to find his way, and begins to somewhat resemble himself but still only loosely when he picks up on things like the thumbs up, coffee, etc.

I really don't think this was Lynch's intent at all, but the case for this stuff can be made.

PolishQ

Also, question :
Did coffee snapped Cooper back to reality a little bit ? He said "Hi". He just repeats words/phrases he hears, we followed Cooper very close after his return and nobody said the word "Hi" to him.

He said "COFFEE!!" except he burned his tongue so it came out like "KAH--HEE!"

Fisty

How big was the premiere for Showtime? Have they released any numbers?

(Sorry, haven't watched eps 3&4 yet so I don't want to dig through the thread)

Dusk Golem

I found it a bit funny how
it's Lynch's character that seems the most baffled at everything - he's probably said something akin to "what the hell" more times than every other character combined so far.

I'm taking (episode 3/4 spoilers)
Gordon Cole to be something of self-jabs at himself, since I noticed it too. Out of all the characters Cole seems the most profound and confused by everything this season. "I hate to admit this, but I have no idea what's going on. "What the hell!", and the like. And I can't think it's coincidence they made it where Cole seems the most perplexed and openly confused by what's going on. XD;

AoM

I think the only thing I'm actively disliking is Andy and Lucy.

Anyone else feel like they're being written as incredibly dumb? It's so awkward and cringeworthy 99% of the time (e.g., Lucy not understanding cellphones). It's just not working for me, at all. I don't think it's complete character assassination, but it's getting there.

Dusk Golem

Yes, but is he currently possessed by Bob? He obviously wasn't himself in the interrogation room, Coop coming back to reality changed him somehow.

Episode 4 spoilers:
I think the Doppelganger is possessed by BOB, which I agree is why in the prison he's acting really weird and seems to be repeating sentences told to him like current Coop is doing. I think BOB let the actual Dopple Coop back in the pilot's seat to do the talking, but he can only say certain things and since BOB has been steering so much he's not fully adapted as a human yet.

Anyone else feel like they're being written as incredibly dumb? It's so awkward and cringeworthy 99% of the time (e.g., Lucy not understanding cellphones). It's just not working for me, at all. I don't think it's complete character assassination, but it's getting there.

I'll admit, the lack of music does make their schlick a bit off.

Ashby

I don't understand how Coop didn't lose his goddamn mind being trapped for 25 years and counting in a version of Hell that is even more nightmarish and twisted than the conventional Christian idea of the place.

Flipyap

You're talking about the man who wanted to donate sperm because he likes whales.

be3NQJL.jpg

Fig. A - Andy Brennan, genius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom