• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr C and Coop are clearly the central storyline.

Even though I think it rolled snake eyes more than I'm happy with in Part 3, if it wasn't taking risks I don't think it could call itself Twin Peaks.

I suppose it is the main story, but it's a bit of an underwhelming choice. It's not entirely connected (yet, I hope) with everything else. And it's not exactly as strong a hook as, say, a murder mystery. It's still missing something. The characters don't feel like people. Everyone seems like a vessel, a mystery, a cryptic messenger, etc.

Anyways I'll watch Episode 4 tomorrow and gather my thoughts before continuing to post.

PSY・S;237717765 said:
right... you want answers​ for the seemingly absent storyline and disjointed scenes.

I don't know why some people here are painting me as some impatient idiot haha. My gripes are pretty reasonable.

Seriously though... how disjointed is it really?

Mr C is involved in Ruth's murder. Mr C is involved in the vegas stuff. Mr C made Dougie, so that when Coop tried to get out of the lodge he would get swapped with Dougie instead. The Twin Peaks Sheriff's office are looking into a tip from Margaret pertaining to Agent Cooper's disappearance... which is also sort of Mr C's disappearance from their perspective. When Coop bounces off Mr C, he ends up going through the box in NYC.

Leaving what? Jacoby and the Hornes as the things that don't yet tie into anything?

Seems like it's all linked to me.

Edit: Forgot one major thread!
Obviously all the FBI stuff ties into it too. They are on the trail of Mr C, thinking they are on the trail of Coop.

Flipyap

Episode 4

WTF

Bobby

I did not expect that at all.
Cobby
?
(I'll stop now)

I didn't expect to like Cop Bobby, but introducing the character by associating him with teenage drug use/trade cases sold me on his new role 100% right away. What a great way to redeem that teenage dirtbag.

Episode 3/4:

I'm surprised people are confused by the Dougie thing. Evil Cooper knew for Cooper to escape the Black Lodge another Cooper would need to go in, so he created Dougie. ”Someone manufactured you for a purpose, but I think that's now been fulfilled" -
fulfilled by going to the Black Lodge.
Then he set up the assassination because he knew about the "one of you must die"
thing.

Real Hero

It is not disjointed at all, it just David lynch so it is presented as such. If you don't pay attention it will obviously just appear to be a bunch on random unconnected scenes

Moff

in many ways, this is exactly what my 16 year old self would have wanted from season 3.
pure mystery, pure black lodge, pure lynch, none of the silly emotional stuff, just hit me with the bizarre shit.

I do like it, but this is not the twin peaks that became so popular, it's super inaccessible and I don't see this being very successful

also lmaaaaaao
@ Michael Cera,
damn

Mr C is involved in Ruth's murder. Mr C is involved in the vegas stuff. Mr C made Dougie, so that when Coop tried to get out of the lodge he would get swapped with Dougie instead. The Twin Peaks Sheriff's office are looking into a tip from Margaret pertaining to Agent Cooper's disappearance... which is also sort of Mr C's disappearance from their perspective. When Coop bounces off Mr C, he ends up going through the box in NYC.

Leaving what? Jacoby and the Hornes as the things that don't yet tie into anything?

It's not so much the story itself feeling disjointed, rather the editing, the multiple locations, the brief screentime most characters get, the sleepwalking a lot of actor's do, the surrealist imagery, etc.

This is Lynch's most experimental narrative since Eraserhead, IMO. It compares to Inland Empire.

Necron

Well, my mind is completely gone after those four episodes. What did I just watch?

Fascinating stuff. I need all the garmonbozia...

It's not so much the story itself feeling disjointed, rather the editing, the multiple locations, the brief screentime most characters get, the sleepwalking a lot of actor's do, the surrealist imagery, etc.

This is Lynch's most experimental narrative since Eraserhead, IMO. It compares to Inland Empire.

I suspect that this is going to end up being much better suited to a binge watch than the original series. Again, they didn't write the parts to stand alone as individual episodes, so it isn't making sure to check in with everyone regularly.

dreams

I suppose it is the main story, but it's a bit of an underwhelming choice. It's not entirely connected (yet, I hope) with everything else. And it's not exactly as strong a hook as, say, a murder mystery. It's still missing something. The characters don't feel like people. Everyone seems like a vessel, a mystery, a cryptic messenger, etc.

Anyways I'll watch Episode 4 tomorrow and gather my thoughts before continuing to post.

I don't know why some people here are painting me as some impatient idiot haha. My gripes are pretty reasonable.

For what it's worth, most of your points I've agreed a lot with. People are responding to you like... super saltily. How dare you have valid criticism.

Also (not directed at you personally but the world at large) for god's sake, the arm's evolution is CLEARLY a brain and nerves like wtf "tree" that's all I'm seeing everywhere.

Slaythe

Can you explain this to me ?

So there are two things happening with the red lodge ?

Bob can possess some people, and leaves them the memories/dreams of the act.

And some evil doppelganger can take over.

What was it for Leeland Palmer ?

He seemed to be aware he was "Leeland", even when doing evil things, but showed deep remorse/pain.

That's not what we see with Evil Coop. So can Bob force them to act evil even if he doesn't control them ?

I'm confused.

Ran rp

Wha..? You're the only one referring to you as an idiot lol.

right

How do episodes 3 & 4 compare to the first 2? I'm watching 3 & 4 tonight

Personally, I thought they didn't compare so well (4 compared a lot better than 3). But most here seem to disagree with me.

Also... seriously. Shadows by Chromatics. Why isn't this song seven hours long?

For what it's worth, most of your points I've agreed a lot with. People are responding to you like... super saltily. How dare you have valid criticism.

Also (not directed at you personally but the world at large) for god's sake, the arm's evolution is CLEARLY a brain and nerves like wtf "tree" that's all I'm seeing everywhere.

It's a tree with bubblegum on it.

I WILL FIGHT YOU.

Slaythe

3 jumps 37 sharks at once, for some it's brilliant for others it's super cringe, personally I'm okay with it even though I didn't like everything about it, episode 4 is a bit more of a formal return, with some self parody mixed in.

All in all, it's all good. Each episode does a radically different thing and that's kinda cool.

They were probably objectively worse than the two premiere episodes but nothing alarming, it's just a slower pacing since they have to fill 18 episodes. I wouldn't worry at all about those two episodes, it seems to be headed in pretty interesting ways.

3 & 4 are a little more light-hearted and closer to the classic TP (but still don't expect full on classic TP), so it really depends if you want more darkness or more comedy. I've liked all four episodes very much.

The cameos in this are unreal. Had no idea all these faces would just be popping up here and there.

Just finished episode 4. Think this is going to be special but the wait for weekly episodes is going to be excruciating.

The cameos in this are unreal. Had no idea all these faces would just be popping up here and there.

Just finished episode 4. Think this is going to be special but the wait for weekly episodes is going to be excruciating.

One week is nothing. Remember that.

Meanwhile... rewatch... and enjoy discussing Twin Peaks with a bunch of people watching along with you.

Can you explain this to me ?

So there are two things happening with the red lodge ?

Bob can possess some people, and leaves them the memories/dreams of the act.

And some evil doppelganger can take over.

What was it for Leeland Palmer ?

He seemed to be aware he was "Leeland", even when doing evil things, but showed deep remorse/pain.

That's not what we see with Evil Coop. So can Bob force them to act evil even if he doesn't control them ?

I'm confused.

I think Bob uses people as hosts if he wants something, he doesn't have to reside permanently within them. He was using Leland to get inside Laura but Leland had moments of lucidity so he wasn't within him 24/7. And I think Bob made him remember just to make him suffer (I think he says something to that effect just before he leaves his body and kills him).

Cooper has been replaced by his doppelganger (everyone has an evil doppelganger in the black lodge) who is taking his place 24/7. I'm not sure whether Bob just has influence over him, or if he occasionally pops in for a ride too when he needs to use him for something.

One week is nothing. Remember that.

Meanwhile... rewatch... and enjoy discussing Twin Peaks with a bunch of people watching along with you.

Oh I'm with you on that, I'll be here reading some hopefully bonkers theories :)

I actually think I do need to watch them again before really trying to dissect what we're seeing and trying to make sense of it though. I just blasted through the four episodes there and its all just a blur but in a really great fucking way. What I can say for sure is that I've bloody missed David Lynch.

Moongazer

Finished watching Part 1 & 2. I'm glad Lynch went all out with this. It definitely feels like he's bringing all his past work together here not just Twin Peaks but bits of Eraserhead
(the tree/arm thing whatever it is)
, Muhulland Drive, and Inland Empire. It's the creepiest and most nightmarish the show has been so far and is much closer in tone to Fire Walk with Me than the original and I'm perfectly fine with that so far. Will definitely keep watching.

HotHamBoy

So you expect more Super Nadine and James side plots?

"James is still cool!"

My reaction to seeing James:

giphy.gif

My reaction to seeing
Micahel Cera
:
qSw6PB.gif

I'm honestly surprised more people aren't talking about that scene. Comedy gold.

Slaythe

Havent watched Twin Peaks for about a decade, do I need to do a rewatch or can you essentially watch this season on its own?

Honestly no you just can jump in.

They give you flash back for anything you might have forgotten.

If you remember most of it you can start right away.

If you do have lots of time, I guess it can't hurt to rewatch.

But the new season is dropping most of the plotlines regarding characters to focus on the mythology and Cooper + new mysteries. At least until they go back to Twin Peaks. But even you'd remember most of it.

I instantly fell in love with Tracey and they kill her off 10 minutes later. The fuck Lynch?

I liked the guy too he reminded me of Hayden Christensen. Which is always fun.

Ran rp

Does Jacoby buy shovels on amazon and then paint them gold to resell them as groundbreaking ceremony shovels!?? If so fucking LOL. Cuz a 40-something year old Lynch was walking around one day like "where DO they get those golden shovels from...?"

20130912MLB_Law_Groundbreaking_Lunch_190_o4-620x320.jpg

Now I'm dying for a Twin Peaks flavored, Animal Crossing-like sim with a mystery that unfolds as you go about your daily business. Mystery social sims need to be a thing, dammit.

I instantly fell in love with Tracey and they kill her off 10 minutes later. The fuck Lynch?

those legs...whew

i was liking those two characters, are we sure they died? it looked like they were either getting ripped apart OR blood was being spewed all over them so they were still alive during that horrifying event.

i haven't seen 3 or 4 yet though, but I guess they are prolly dead.

those legs...whew

i was liking those two characters, are we sure they died? it looked like they were either getting ripped apart OR blood was being spewed all over them so they were still alive during that horrifying event.

i haven't seen 3 or 4 yet though, but I guess they are prolly dead.

They are super dead.

The ending of episode 4....what a tease...

This is perfection. I could cry....

Lynch is the man. Holy crap.

Now I have to wait two weeks? Really? Why are you doing this?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got a chance to watch the four episodes. Loved them and it was more then I could have hoped for. Think I will rewatch the episodes till the new one airs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom