• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This character wasn't in season 1+2 right? It's been about 4 years since I watched them.
He wan't ever mentioned in the original series, he was brought up in the book by Mark Frost. His character was kind of obviously made to make it where Truman was still sherrif but not replacing our Truman with a new actor but they couldn't get the old one to return for the new series.

Flipyap

It's interesting how much rougher/meaner Hawk and (Part 4 character)
Frank
sounded in The Secret History. I expected this show to shake up the sheriff station dynamic, but it turned out to be a familiar, welcoming place.
At least so far, both Trumans sound like the same person when filtered through Lynch's lens.

So I caved, and watched 3 & 4.

God damnit. This show is going to be centered around a trope I absolutely hate, isn't it?

3 & 4 spoilers:
I fucking hate the amnesiac/no idea of social norms characters.
It's lazy, tacky, and a cheap way to make people feel uncomfortable and/or play to laughs.
Every time good Cooper was on screen I begged for it to end. This side line better wrap up quickly because I don't want 14 more episodes of this.

I feel like it's there because Lynch wants to actually troll people. For that reason, I love it.

anaron

To add to this, the reason is because the original actor for Truman is retired and didn't show up in this season for whatever reason, so the original Truman is hospitalized during this series and his brother, Frank, jas taken over (probably because they didn't want to recast the original).
I'm actually so happy that he's not playing Harry and is a different character. I hate recasting

hydruxo

God damnit. This show is going to be centered around a trope I absolutely hate, isn't it?

3 & 4 spoilers:
It's lazy, tacky, and a cheap way to make people feel uncomfortable and/or play to laughs.
Every time good Cooper was on screen I begged for it to end. This side line better wrap up quickly because I don't want 14 more episodes of this.

I mean, it makes sense that Cooper is out of it. Dudes been in the Black Lodge for 25 years just sitting there. I'm not big on that trope either but in this case it makes total sense. It'd be jarring if he came back and was just like "SMELL THOSE DOUGLAS FIRS, I'M BACK!"

I really don't think it'll go on too much longer, it seemed like he's starting to gradually regain bits and pieces of his old personality in ep 4

3 & 4 spoilers:

I absolutely loved this part. One of my favorite moment in the whole serie so far.
It's good to see our old Coop finally coming back. The coffee part was amazing.

KTallguy

Banned
Episode 2 Spoilers:

Anyone else notice that when Phyllis Hastings is shot by Evil Coop, there's a strange distortion for a few frames? Is Phyllis Hastings some kind of evil presence as well?
Or is that just what happens when BOB kills?

Levito

Banned
I'm actually so happy that he's not playing Harry and is a different character. I hate recasting

Same. I wonder though, will
Bob himself actually be in this season? You'd figure he'd have to but Frank Silva passed away all the way back in 1995.

He's his brother. They mention on the show that Harry is sick.

Michael Ontkean retired from acting and didn't come back for the revival.

That is of course until the season finale when
Cooper finally makes it back to Twin Peaks, visits Harry in the hospital, and Michael Ontkean comes back for a surprise cameo. #believe

Episode 2 Spoilers:

Anyone else notice that when Phyllis Hastings is shot by Evil Coop, there's a strange distortion for a few frames? Is Phyllis Hastings some kind of evil presence as well?

Yeah curious about this as well.
Thought my tv glitched lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Episode 2 Spoilers:

That thing Evil Coop says to her about "acting like a human well" or whatever pretty well implies that she's not human.

Glad to hear that distortion was an intentional thing and not just my stream screwing up,
though. :lol

Episode 2 Spoilers:

Hmm, maybe. I did notice that. I thought it was just
a horror effect, but that would make sense.

Episode 2 Spoilers:

I saw it in relation to the weird altered time sequence that we get in this episode,
since she have the exact same wound that the head of the woman found in her apartment before.

hydruxo

That is of course until the season finale when
Cooper finally makes it back to Twin Peaks, visits Harry in the hospital, and Michael Ontkean comes back for a surprise cameo. #believe

I would lose my shit if that happened haha

Harry
was always one of my favorite characters

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
All caught up, like it a lot.

Some comic scenes get stretched so long that it comes around and become funny again.

Kyle Maclachlan is amazing. Nailing everything.

Really dig the music at the end of each episode, Chromatics in particular.

Slaythe

So forgive me if I'm just confused but is there a particular reason
Sheriff Truman is played by a different actor? Just recasting for w/e reason?

The actor they got is the one they originally wanted for the series before he passed the offer. :)

It's beautiful that they did get him in the end.

I love Forster and I think his detached look on the town is needed and wonderfully executed. Loved how he acted in episode 4.

ActWan

There's a small problem I have (e1 spoilers)
how can Mr. C access Cooper's FBI user, and why doesn't nobody in the FBI see when he logged in? I mean, I guess the doppelgänger "quit" the FBI in some way but they're talking about Coop like he's missing. If they're aware that Cooper's doppelgänger is running loose, why didn't they try to stop him or something? I have too many questions about this

The actor they got is the one they originally wanted for the series before he passed the offer. :)

It's beautiful that they did get him in the end.

I love Forster and I think his detached look on the town is needed and wonderfully executed. Loved how he acted in episode 4.

Yeah Forster is awesome. Loved him since Jackie Brown.

Pandacon

3 & 4 spoilers:

I personally think it's not that he has amnesia, I think his "being" or "spirit" is now split between him and his doppelganger, since they are now both in the real world, as the doppelganger is also acting abnormally, even for him. So, if the doppelganger is taken out, I think Cooper will go back to normal.

Just my speculation.

Flipyap

Detached? I can understand how seeing someone new in such a similar role could cause a slight dissonance, but
Frank behaves exactly how Harry would, he even has the same saintly amount of patience for the Brennans. He knows and cares about the people of Twin Peaks (little Denny Craig), he was the sheriff before Harry and has lived there at least half his life.

thenexus6

Keep-it-weird.gif

Hmm, I, uh.... Watched all four episodes and they sure are something. I know its early days yet, but I am not sure where this is going.. Did we really need Twin Peaks to come back?? Hahaha.

There's a small problem I have (e1 spoilers)
how can Mr. C access Cooper's FBI user, and why doesn't nobody in the FBI see when he logged in? I mean, I guess the doppelgänger "quit" the FBI in some way but they're talking about Coop like he's missing. If they're aware that Cooper's doppelgänger is running loose, why didn't they try to stop him or something? I have too many questions about this
It's kind of explained in episode four, without going into too much detail.

Slaythe

Detached? I can understand how seeing someone new in such a similar role could cause a slight dissonance, but
Frank behaves exactly how Harry would, he even has the same saintly amount of patience for the Brennans. He knows and cares about the people of Twin Peaks (little Denny Craig), he was the sheriff before Harry and has lived there at least half his life.

Rationalize how you want, he is the new addition to the show and is acting detached.

He is. Not only was it was I thought originally, but his last eye roll with
Wally
pretty much confirmed it.

The fact that he is extremely patient makes this character shine. He doesn't look at them in a bad way, he just isn't "in".

Eps 1 and 2:

Disjointed and tedious. I love Lynch's use of lingering shots usually but it doesn't need to be every. single. shot. Example, the scene at the beginning with the doctor at his trailer getting a delivery of shovels: I don't know why it was there much less why it was so long.

2 hrs in and there's still no emotional core to the story. Season 1 you had Laura's death affecting everyone and Dale Cooper's wide eyed investigation holding everything together. The mysteries built around that. Here I got nothing to latch onto. 2 hrs in.

I did love
the whole shot with the box in New York. That was a good enigma to watch unfold. Although the actual mauling didn't look every well executed. The effects at the end with Coop slipping out of the lodge looked cool.

carda114

Hey folks, I don't know if anyone else mentioned seeing into this or not -- and it could very well be a red herring or just not pan out ultimately -- but does anyone else see an owl in the way these mirrors are set up behind Sarah Palmer?

http://imgur.com/a/HxwWv

Hey folks, I don't know if anyone else mentioned seeing into this or not -- and it could very well be a red herring or just not pan out ultimately -- but does anyone else see an owl in the way these mirrors are set up behind Sarah Palmer?

http://imgur.com/a/HxwWv

Definitely. The way the shadow forms the shape of the head...

What did the log lady say in the 1st season? The owls stopped hooting?

That sounds a bit harsh, they probably wanted to play it safe. It's not like it's a big deal, everyone who's seen the 4 parts will have to make the effort to click a whole bunch of tags anyway.

I mean ignorant in the polite sense.

Personally I don't get why 3 & 4 are spoilers when they're available to everyone, but either way having so much spoiler tagged stuff just makes you desensitised to clicking them, which means if there's ever actual spoilers you're more likely to see them.

Flipyap

Personally I don't get why 3 & 4 are spoilers when they're available to everyone, but either way having so much spoiler tagged stuff just makes you desensitised to clicking them, which means if there's ever actual spoilers you're more likely to see them.
They're not available in every region and there was considerable delay even between services that got them early. It's also partly because it's a large time commitment and not everyone was going to catch up on day one.

They're not available in every region and there was considerable delay even between services that got them early. It's also partly because it's a large time commitment and not everyone was going to catch up on day one.

It makes threads very tedious to read. I don't know why anyone would feel compelled to come in to a thread without being up to date on all available episodes if they don't want to be spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom