• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twin Peaks is really one of a kind, it feels completely different from modern TV series and the way they are filmed.
Please give us more, we need more.

I don't NEED anything Ray, i WANT

NOT LONG UNTIL EPISODE 5 GUYS. JUST TWELVE OR THIRTEEN DAYS DEPENDING ON GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION.

giphy.gif

tsab

oh gawd what a ride was the first 4 episodes!

I slept 4 in the morning thinking of what I witnessed and trying to connect the dots.
I haven't seen Fire walk with me yet, is it essential to understand somethings on season 3?

Real Hero

I slept 4 in the morning thinking of what I witnessed and trying to connect the dots.
I haven't seen Fire walk with me yet, is it essential to understand somethings on season 3?

yeah watch fire walk with me

hussmk

Neo Member
The early episodes' disconnect from the original series is clearly intentional, in my opinion. David is teasing us; we've waited 26 years, he's going to make us wait as much as Dale has, and will, to return to Twin Peaks. Think about it... Angelo's music is largely missing. We haven't even seen doughnuts or pies on the show yet! Hawk brings a box of doughnuts and he doesn't open it. These may seem like trifle observations, but it does make you feel like David and Mark are toying with us. Getting to Twin Peaks is part of the mystery of teh new episodes to be honest. We are getting there slowly; the town has a bigger presence every episode, and I think once the different plots converge and we are back in the town full-time, the show will have transformed into something.

Think of the early episodes as the first section of Fire Walk With Me which was set in a completely different location with a different cast, but ultimately led to (and tied into) everything that was happening at Twin Peaks. He did it say it's an 18-hour long... and he does have a tendency to have extended "openings" to his films, such as the previously mentioned FWWM and Lost Highway.

Flipyap

Yes. The show is going to feature characters and "mythological" elements from the movie.

Big time. In some ways, I think it's even more important than the original series. There have been some substantial callbacks to it so far.

tsab

yeah watch fire walk with me

Yes. The show is going to feature characters and "mythological" elements from the movie.

Big time. In some ways, I think it's even more important than the original series. There have been some substantial callbacks to it so far.

Ah cool thanks will watch it today after watching S2 finale. I remember I've seen the first minutes,
the thing with the lady in the dress

Javier23

Banned
Ah cool thanks will watch it today after watching S2 finale. I remember I've seen the first minutes,
the thing with the lady in the dress
The movie would have helped you understand some stuff better in these few episodes. For some reason Lynch introduced quite a bit of new stuff with it that never went anywhere since the show had been cancelled already. Makes you wonder if a third season had actually been a plan of his for a long time now.

Finally caught up on the last two episodes. The current plot with Cooper makes me so anxious and not in a satisfying way. These scenes go on for so long. They drive me insane. I hope he
gets his memory back
ASAP.

Also, what the f*ck with Wally Brando.

aravuus

I had some fucked up dreams last night after binging all four episodes yesterday. God damnit Lynch.

Hah, I actually did too. I can't remember what they were about, though while I do remember that they didn't contain Twin Peaks stuff directly, I did let out an audible 'what the fuck' when I woke up.

The weekend week ago got pretty wild too when I hangover-binged season 1 on Saturday.

kubus

I had some fucked up dreams last night after binging all four episodes yesterday. God damnit Lynch.
I decided not to watch the episodes yesterday because I was worried I'd get nightmares, going by some of the impressions in this thread.

Had one anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Only watched the first two episodes so far, but I am insanely happy with it. Gives me a lot of Mulholland Dr feels which all good by me as it's one of my favorite movies.

My biggest concern is the lack of a through line for the story. Without that key mystery and character I think a lot of people will be thrown off right away, but kind of feels like the end of episode 2 may be setting up for that to come in.

Episode 1 question/clarification:
When the guy in the room with the glass cell is changing the camera's memory card does it cut to black for a second right before he hears the elevator come up? When it went back to that scene later on from Coop's perspective I though it would somehow have answered that, but afterward I thought maybe it was just my TV or Feed cutting out for a second.

Also: Replacement for The Arm is absolutely fucking amazing. Favorite thing that actually made me laugh giddily when I saw it.

The only singular thing that I didn't like about the first two episodes. The cop in SD with his flashlight being broken. That was just way too cheesy and forced. Like it had no real tact to how it was implemented. It was so consistent and patterned that it didn't look real and just had me rolling my eyes.

Minor gripe but really stood out as dumb in an otherwise perfect two episodes.

Ran rp

The only singular thing that I didn't like about the first two episodes. The cop in SD with his flashlight being broken.

Oh, that reminds me. I loved the part with Hawk walking in the woods at night with the flashlight constantly flashing the camera. Did the light make anyone else uncomfortable or was it just me?

Aizo

Banned
PSY・S;237775203 said:
Oh, that reminds me. I loved the part with Hawk walking in the woods at night with the flashlight constantly flashing the camera. Did the light make anyone else uncomfortable or was it just me?
Bugged me, too, which immediately made me think "Lynch wants me to be uncomfortable."

The movie would have helped you understand some stuff better in these few episodes. For some reason Lynch introduced quite a bit of new stuff with it that never went anywhere since the show had been cancelled already. Makes you wonder if a third season had actually been a plan of his for a long time now.

Wasn't there supposed to be at least one follow up movie to FWWM planned?

One question about episode 3:

Was that ronette pulaski in the fireplace room?

Yeah, but for some reason she's listed in the credits as "American Girl".

superfly

The early episodes' disconnect from the original series is clearly intentional, in my opinion. David is teasing us; we've waited 26 years, he's going to make us wait as much as Dale has, and will, to return to Twin Peaks. Think about it... Angelo's music is largely missing. We haven't even seen doughnuts or pies on the show yet! Hawk brings a box of doughnuts and he doesn't open it. These may seem like trifle observations, but it does make you feel like David and Mark are toying with us. Getting to Twin Peaks is part of the mystery of teh new episodes to be honest. We are getting there slowly; the town has a bigger presence every episode, and I think once the different plots converge and we are back in the town full-time, the show will have transformed into something.

Think of the early episodes as the first section of Fire Walk With Me which was set in a completely different location with a different cast, but ultimately led to (and tied into) everything that was happening at Twin Peaks. He did it say it's an 18-hour long... and he does have a tendency to have extended "openings" to his films, such as the previously mentioned FWWM and Lost Highway.

I am kind of with you on this and my feeling is that a certain location in twin peaks is going to be key to this. For those who have read the secret history of twin peaks
my guess this will be owl cave given its native american connections and the log lady's message to Hawk.

However this might be wishful thinking and Lynch might just stick on this mind bender throughout.

Side note: Watching this after seeing the newer David Bowie music videos makes me really bummed he couldn't be a part of this. :/

PSY・S;237775203 said:

Unsettled me only until I realized where he was going, then I was excited.

Wasn't there supposed to be at least one follow up movie to FWWM planned?

Wasn't really a follow up but he wanted to spin off of them. Wanted a David Bowie movie and I feel like one other movie as well.

Aizo

Banned

I wanted to think that while watching the first two, but then I remembered that I don't trust Lynch hahaha. He's a really interesting guy, so I look forward to what will happen next regardless. I'm not holding my breath for all the fun, cute vignettes of everyone's lives to return, though. I hope, still...

I really need the clip of
Gordon Cole yelling "what the hell?!?
just so I can watch it on repeat for the rest of my life. Definitely one of my top 5 Twin Peaks characters.

I really need the clip of
Gordon Cole yelling "what the hell?!?
just so I can watch it on repeat for the rest of my life. Definitely one of my top 5 Twin Peaks characters.

Cole's top 3, if not tied outright for best character with Cooper. His scenes in Episode 4 are great, especially
"The Cossacks are in Russia." ......... "CARSICK!!!!!"
. I died laughing at the immediate reaction to that exchange.

Wasn't really a follow up but he wanted to spin off of them. Wanted a David Bowie movie and I feel like one other movie as well.

Not surprising considering the stuff we've seen so far. Guessing Lynch and Frost had him as a major character in the Twin Peaks "mythos" even back then... poor sod only had one bloody scene.

Cole's top 3, if not tied outright for best character with Cooper. His scenes in Episode 4 are great, especially

Cole: "We're not anywhere near Mount Rushmore!"

Albert: "...I brought a picture for you."

I love Albert. RIP, fella.

Episode 3 Question:
Cooper is obviously in some sort of fugue where he doesn't know who he is or how to perform basic human functions. But when he is leaving the development with Jade, he momentarily seems lucid and tells her to take two rights. This kind of lucidity is not seen again.

I mean, what is going on with Cooper?

Not surprising considering the stuff we've seen so far. Guessing Lynch and Frost had him as a major character in the Twin Peaks "mythos" even back then... poor sod only had one bloody scene.

Cole: "We're not anywhere near Mount Rushmore!"

Albert: "...I brought a picture for you."

I love Albert. RIP, fella.

"Faces of stone" made me piss myself.

Episode 3 Question:
Cooper is obviously in some sort of fugue where he doesn't know who he is or how to perform basic human functions. But when he is leaving the development with Jade, he momentarily seems lucid and tells her to take two rights. This kind of lucidity is not seen again.

He doesn't say that. He was r
epeating Jade's lines about giving him two 'rides'.

NewDust

Episode 3 Question:

I might have misheard it, but doesn't he
parrot "Jade two rides", since she also has to drive him back? One assumes the other "ride" happened in the house.

He doesn't say that. He was r
epeating Jade's lines about giving him two 'rides'.

I might have misheard it, but doesn't he
parrot "Jade two rides", since she also has to drive him back? One assumes the other "ride" happened in the house.

Ah, that's got to be it. You're right. I thought it was "rights" but it's obvious now - in context - that he was repeating her comment from before.

superfly

PSY・S;237778341 said:
Coop seems like he's more a vegetable than an amnesiac. He's impaired and can't function properly.

His repetitive babblings are very much in the Leo "new shoes" Johnson vein.

That was amazing. I found that line he said to
Denise was really touching, about telling anyone who mocked her lifestyle choice to "fix their hearts or die".
That's what really sets this show apart from anything else, how it can go from pure cosmic horror to genuine very emotional heartfelt stuff without feeling tonally inconsistent.

Big One

Banned
I am curious what's gonna happen when
Dougie!Coop and Bob!Coop meet. As far as I know this kind of breaks the conventions of how doppelgangers normally work in the Twin Peak's universe. Usually a doppelganger is just a personality taking over a host body, correct?

I think Dougie!Coop might actually contain Coop's "soul" but nothing else (hence why he's amnesiac, because all of his memories are stored in the brain) while Bob!Coop is the original body w/ memories but doesn't have Coop's "soul" but instead is possessed by Bob. This is why Bob!Coop already knows everyone he just doesn't quite know how to greet Gordon properly because he isn't REALLY Coop.

Laura might've been in a similar situation. When Coop meets her in the Red Room, she states that she "doesn't know Laura, but feels like I know her." Maybe at this point, due to some strange time dilation or however the Red Room works, Laura's memory was completely wiped out like Coop's is right now and she just become a part of the entities that were already in the Black Lodge.

As for Dougie himself that's an even bigger mystery, but the One-Armed Man does state he was "manufactured." I wonder if Laura Palmer's cousin is the same as Dougie in which her purpose is to become a host body for Laura Palmer if she were to escape the Black Lodge, but was killed by Bob!Leland before Laura ever got a chance to do this.

Speaking of Leo Johnson...

When the revival of the show was first announced, my girlfriend and I had fun brainstorming different plot points. We imagined what kind of plots could grip the whole town, and one of the things we came up with was some Sasquatch hysteria. In the last 25 years, the legend of the Twin Peaks Sasquatch has grown and become part of local lore. Tourists come to Twin Peaks to try to find its Bigfoot. Nobody ever finds it, and most people don't think it's real, but certain locals insist they've seen it. Real or not, sometimes food is stolen off of delivery trucks and things go missing from people's yards.

Whether the Sasquatch was real or not would be a background plot, usually played for laughs but sometimes a little sinister. The idea that something unknown is out there in the woods is not new to Twin Peaks, but it doesn't make it any less scary to the unsuspecting.

When we last see Leo Johnson, he is imprisoned by Windom Earle and holding a spider cage above his head with a string in his teeth. Windom Earle then disappears into the Black Lodge, leaving Leo alone in the woods. Nobody knows where he is, or what he's doing, and his mental capacity is limited.

We imagined that Leo would escape the spider trap and simply wander into the woods of the Pacific Northwest. After his experience with Windom, he is very untrusting and doesn't let anyone see him. He survives on his own and becomes the figure the town mistakes for Bigfoot.

Unless we ever see otherwise, it's my personal headcanon that this is what happened to Leo Johnson.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So this is my current theory on the Coop thing:

I know a lot of people are frustrated Coop is like this, but outside of holding our agent back I think it has a very important narrative reason. I fully believe it's related to understanding a few of the characters in the show. You may notice when Bad Cooper (Mr. C) is in the prison cell, he's reverted to talking like this too. He talks more robotically and repeats a line twice word by word, just like regular Cooper is doing he probably heard someone else say. It seems when regular Cooper came back Mr. C was placed in a similar mental blockade state. Mr. C also says in the first episode when he shoots the cheating wife in the eye that she's gotten good at human nature and some other cryptic things, and when he shoots her in the eye there's a strange kind of 'glitched' effect on impact. I think this learning process of learning through imitation has more to do with the overall story than "Cooper has amnesia", I think it has a very tight connection to people who come from the Black Lodge.

I also have the theory that the woman agent, Tammy, is in a similar position. Denise gives a warning that something's off about her and Cole seems to suspect something too, but the bigger clue is if you observe her. Her actions seem purposefully robotic, and she is VERY selective in when she talks. She literally only says things people have said to her but seems adapted enough to say from her perspective. IE, she gives back reports. But when asked personal questions or questions that are not repeating back something to someone else, she never responds. She talks back the report of what happened to the people in New York, she talks back in Cole telling her to wear the wire, but outside of saying things back to people she never says anything else. I think it's because she can't, she's in the same position as Coop but more adapted.

That's just my theory and observations though, but I think us seeing this happen to Cooper is important not just for Cooper's story but to read into something bigger than him as seeing him come back from the Lodge and have to learn again basic human functions and re-learn how to be to be himself and human once coming back from the Lodge is something I don't think he's the only character going through.

I watched them all again. I'm completely addicted and am loving the new Twin Peaks. I don't think I've been this obsessed with a piece of media since I first got into Game of Thrones during the second season.

This week to week wait is going to be the death of me. I almost wish I had the patience to wait until September so I could watch it all at once. I know that's not going to happen though.

I know a lot of people are frustrated Coop is like this, but outside of holding our agent back I think it has a very important narrative reason. I fully believe it's related to understanding a few of the characters in the show. You may notice when Bad Cooper (Mr. C) is in the prison cell, he's reverted to talking like this too. He talks more robotically and repeats a line twice word by word, just like regular Cooper is doing he probably heard someone else say. It seems when regular Cooper came back Mr. C was placed in a similar mental blockade state. Mr. C also says in the first episode when he shoots the cheating wife in the eye that she's gotten good at human nature and some other cryptic things, and when she shoots her in the eye there's a strange kind of 'glitched' effect on impact. I think this learning process of learning through imitation has more to do with the overall story than "Cooper has amnesia", I think it has a very tight connection to people who come from the Black Lodge.

I also have the theory that the woman agent, Tammy, is in a similar position. Denise gives a warning about something off to her and Cole seems to suspect something too, but the bigger clue is if you observe her. Her actions seem purposefully robotic, and she is VERY selective in when she talks. She literally only says things people have said to her but seems adapted enough to say from her perspective. IE, she gives back reports. But when asked personal questions or questions that are not repeating back something to someone else, she never responds. She talks back the report of what happened to the people in New York, she talks back in Cole telling her to wear the wire, but outside of saying things back to people she never says anything else. I think it's because she can't, she's in the same position as Coop but more adapted.

That's just my theory and observations though, but I think us seeing this happen to Cooper is important not just for Cooper's story but to read into something bigger than him as we see hum learning again to be himself and human.

I wish I could agree with you re: Chrysta Bell, but having seen her speak in an interview I'm pretty sure she's just badly cast because of her Lynch-muse status.

That was amazing. I found that line he said to
Denise was really touching, about telling anyone who mocked her lifestyle choice to "fix their hearts or die".
That's what really sets this show apart from anything else, how it can go from pure cosmic horror to genuine very emotional heartfelt stuff without feeling tonally inconsistent.
Best scene in the episode, amazing delivery.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I wish I could agree with you re: Chrysta Bell, but having seen her speak in an interview I'm pretty sure she's just badly cast because of her Lynch-muse status.

Even ignoring the acting, just pay attention to the responses, or lack there of.

The time this shows the strongest is when she talks to Albert, at the end of episode 3 Cole tells her that she's coming with them to see Coop, she doesn't respond but that's easy to write off. But things get a bit more off in the following scene, Albert says two questions to her in a row in his unique way, IE with some sarcastic expressions like getting a truckfull of something, and she doesn't give a vocal response but instead responds to both questions with facial expressions. Notably he repeats the question thinking she doesn't understand the first time but still words it in a quirky way when she doesn't respond, and her responds doesn't come back in answering him but simply giving an expression. Now if this was a one time thing, that'd be something but she does this consistently in episode 4 as well. She doesn't respond to anything directed at her except when Cole asks her if she has a wire on her, to which she responds he told her to put a wire on, and then he tells her to go away, and she doesn't respond and just does so. that's acceptable here as well but there's starting to become a pattern where literally the only things she says are things that were told to her, IE the New York Report, the Wire, and even when asked other things directly she never vocally responds.

It's just my theory of course, we'll see how it plays out, but I say whenever she pops up in future episodes what will make or break this theory is if she continues only saying things people say to her back at them.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

I know a lot of people are frustrated Coop is like this, but outside of holding our agent back I think it has a very important narrative reason. I fully believe it's related to understanding a few of the characters in the show. You may notice when Bad Cooper (Mr. C) is in the prison cell, he's reverted to talking like this too. He talks more robotically and repeats a line twice word by word, just like regular Cooper is doing he probably heard someone else say. It seems when regular Cooper came back Mr. C was placed in a similar mental blockade state. Mr. C also says in the first episode when he shoots the cheating wife in the eye that she's gotten good at human nature and some other cryptic things, and when he shoots her in the eye there's a strange kind of 'glitched' effect on impact. I think this learning process of learning through imitation has more to do with the overall story than "Cooper has amnesia", I think it has a very tight connection to people who come from the Black Lodge.

I also have the theory that the woman agent, Tammy, is in a similar position. Denise gives a warning that something's off about her and Cole seems to suspect something too, but the bigger clue is if you observe her. Her actions seem purposefully robotic, and she is VERY selective in when she talks. She literally only says things people have said to her but seems adapted enough to say from her perspective. IE, she gives back reports. But when asked personal questions or questions that are not repeating back something to someone else, she never responds. She talks back the report of what happened to the people in New York, she talks back in Cole telling her to wear the wire, but outside of saying things back to people she never says anything else. I think it's because she can't, she's in the same position as Coop but more adapted.

That's just my theory and observations though, but I think us seeing this happen to Cooper is important not just for Cooper's story but to read into something bigger than him as seeing him come back from the Lodge and have to learn again basic human functions and re-learn how to be to be himself and human once coming back from the Lodge is something I don't think he's the only character going through.

i think bell just not being a very good actress is a much more likely explanation. and her still trying to adapt to something similar to what cooper went through sounds awful, because that would mean cooper will spend a long on this shit. two episodes of this was more than enough, so if it goes on for much longer that's just terrible.

if cooper has to spend a long time as a vegetable to adapt to something, then lynch should have scrapped the whole idea because it makes for terrible tv. hopefully it was enough to do the coffee gag and he will be more or less normal after episode 5 at latest, and even better if he's back to normal at the start of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom