• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

Futureman

I feel fairly confident in assuming the box in New York was funded by the Winkies guy for Evil Coop. Either way it was obviously something Evil Coop arranged. Mystery solved.

I tend to gloss over a lot of stuff and then come to the TP thread here and realize what I've missed but I think this is basically it regarding the box. Mr. C had it built in an attempt to trap Coop returning from the Lodge to Earth. The thing I can't quite remember is that Coop WAS IN the glass box briefly right? After the Evolution of the Arm started screaming "NON-EXIST-TENCE!" and he fell through the floor, he ended up in the glass box right?

Oh also from a Sherilyn Fenn interview:

If David Lynch wanted to do another season of Twin Peaks, would you do it?

Wow... that's super positive in regards to more TP. We had the Showtime executive say they want more and Lynch apparently wants to do more if people were into the new season!

I'm away for the weekend with my GF at a fairly remote location and will just get home before the finale(s). The downside is missing the next 2 days of discussion. The upside is 0 risk of spoilers.

I'm going to be on a trip in Philly this weekend with my GF. I hope she's up for watching the finale on Sunday night but I could see it getting pushed to Monday night :(((

Flipyap

Wow, there are lots of anagrams for Diane aren't there? Naido is Diane with an O, Linda is Diane with an L, Candie is Diane plus a C. What is goooing ooooooon
Special Agent Dale Cooper is Diane plus COOPER GET A SCALPEL. Really makes you think.

Chitown B

re-re-re-re-rewatching the first two eps.

Questions for the finale:

Richard and Linda - two birds one stone? 430? When in time is Coop told this?
What did Laura whisper to Coop?
Will we ever figure out what "I feel like I know her but sometimes my arms bend back" means?
Who called Bad Coop? Sarah?
Who made Dougie?
Bob Bob Bob?
Save Laura - will she end up alive?
Why does Coop see Bad Coop driving?
Did Bad Coop tell the dopples to screw Coop? Was that his plan, to trap and kill him with Mother? Not the Dougie plan.
Where did the security guard go?
Are the only real Roadhouse pieces the ones with Shelly, James, Richard? Is the whole town in a bubble/dream?

re-re-re-re-rewatching the first two eps.

Questions for the finale:

Richard and Linda - two birds one stone? 430? When in time is Coop told this?
What did Laura whisper to Coop?
Will we ever figure out what "I feel like I know her but sometimes my arms bend back" means?
Who called Bad Coop? Sarah?
Who made Dougie?
Bob Bob Bob?
Save Laura - will she end up alive?
Why does Coop see Bad Coop driving?
Did Bad Coop tell the dopples to screw Coop? Was that his plan, to trap and kill him with Mother? Not the Dougie plan.
Where did the security guard go?
Are the only real Roadhouse pieces the ones with Shelly, James, Richard? Is the whole town in a bubble/dream?

HOW'S ANNIE?
HOW'S ANNIE?
HOW'S ANNIE?

The original series answered this pretty definitively, since it's a repeated line from Coop's first visit to the red room. Arms bending back is a reference to Laura and Ronette's hands tied with rope in Jacques' cabin and eventually the train carriage. Albert explains the arms plied with rope in a scene from the first season as he runs down the forensic evidence.

asagami_

Banned
What happened to Ruby? She was just in the Roadhouse scene screaming at the end of a episode, right? She looks more important than the average character there, unless it was just to show something was wrong with the place.

Chitown B

What happened to Ruby? She was just in the Roadhouse scene screaming at the end of a episode, right? She looks more important than the average character there, unless it was just to show something was wrong with the place.

Probably just a representation. She matched up perfectly with Coop's electric fork scene.

I believe Fenn was also the one to first talk about the episode number expanding beyond the original 9. So she's weirdly trustworthy with this info.

I keep telling you. It's going to come down to whether or not David and Mark have a story. I don't know that they do, of course, but it really seems like Showtime, Rancho Rosa, and the cast, are all onboard for more, if indeed there are more stories that David and Mark have to tell.

I won't be next year, but I think in say, five years time, we might all be back here watching a fourth season.

Did we ever know what was up with the black box in Argentina? that turned into a nugget.

It was just a device Mr C and his cohorts were using to bounce messages around to make it harder to track where they were. Mr C sent it some kind of self destruct command.

That's what I took from it, espescially when they talk about the messages Diane sending getting relayed about.

Chitown B

Is the purple room The Black Lodge?
Is Naido Diane, and she is placed there to help Coop get out before Mother gets him? She seems like she's so happy to see him. Trapped in stutter and without a recognizable face or voice.
Why is Ronette Pulaski there after Naido falls? And why does she have black hair? Same reason as Diane did, because she's a mirror image? Does he even recognize her?
Is the 2:53 when Bad Coop crashes the same 2:53 as when the red room opens twice in the woods?
It seems like Coop HAD to come out and be in a fugue state otherwise he would've been killed by Mother. But I don't think he has anything to do with the Dougie tulpa except that they look the same.
What is the 1-1-9 girl about? Backwards speak?

Blader

Is Naido Diane, and she is placed there to help Coop get out before Mother gets him? She seems like she's so happy to see him. Trapped in stutter and without a recognizable face or voice.
Why is Teresa Banks there after Naido falls? And why does she have black hair? Same reason as Diane did, because she's a mirror image? Does he even recognize her?
Is the 2:53 when Bad Coop crashes the same 2:53 as when the red room opens twice in the woods?
It seems like Coop HAD to come out and be in a fugue state otherwise he would've been killed by Mother. But I don't think he has anything to do with the Dougie tulpa except that they look the same.

Coop's Doppelganger created Dougie, to serve as a stand-in for him when the Black Lodge would open up again. I don't think Coop had anything to do with it, though he does seem to understand how the seeds work in creating doppelgangers.

I thought Rancho Rosa was just a production company created to do The Return? or do they do other stuff?

It is. But executive producer Sabrina Sutherland and others who work for it, are hoping to do more.

Why is Teresa Banks there after Naido falls? And why does she have black hair? Same reason as Diane did, because she's a mirror image? Does he even recognize her?
What is the 1-1-9 girl about? Backwards speak?

I thought this was unmarked spoilers for a moment! Teresa Banks isn't there. It's American Girl, who is played by the same actress who played Ronnette Pulowski, not Teresa Banks.

Chitown B

It is. But executive producer Sabrina Sutherland and others who work for it, are hoping to do more.

I thought this was unmarked spoilers for a moment! Teresa Banks isn't there. It's American Girl, who is played by the same actress who played Ronnette Pulowski, not Teresa Banks.

I'm sorry I meant Ronnette Pulaski

Coop's Doppelganger created Dougie, to serve as a stand-in for him when the Black Lodge would open up again. I don't think Coop had anything to do with it, though he does seem to understand how the seeds work in creating doppelgangers.

See that's the easy answer. I don't think so. Coop knew how Dougie was created and asked Mike to make him ANOTHER. I'm thinking Coop maybe made Dougie so the ring would be on him to get sucked back in - and would only work because it was Coop's DNA. Otherwise maybe something worse worse would have happened to Coop.

Another thing - I think the Insurance guy looking for Truman is a big plot point that will come up. He seemed very freaked out. Also her line "it could be important" sticks with me.

The congressman's case has a gun that looks just like the one used by the Accountant who killed the assassins.

See that's the easy answer. I don't think so. Coop knew how Dougie was created and asked Mike to make him ANOTHER. I'm thinking Coop maybe made Dougie so the ring would be on him to get sucked back in - and would only work because it was Coop's DNA. Otherwise maybe something worse worse would have happened to Coop.

The show seemed to pretty explicitly show Dougie to be Mr C's creation. Mr C: "I'm supposed to go back tomorrow, but I have a plan". Mr C is at the glass box. The glass box sends Cooper ultimately to switch with Dougie. Mike to Dougie/Coop: "You have been tricked". And then Mr C immediately tries to have Dougie assassinated. That was his plan. Plus Dougie was a debt riddled man who slept with prostitutes; a Mr C trait not a Cooper one. And then we have their wedding ring in Brigg's murdered body, and a Diane tulpa working for Mr C being a direct connection to Janey-E. Mr C's finger prints are all over it.

Chitown B

The show seemed to pretty explicitly show Dougie to be Mr C's creation. Mr C: "I'm supposed to go back tomorrow, but I have a plan". Mr C is at the glass box. The glass box sends Cooper ultimately to switch with Dougie. Mike to Dougie/Coop: "You have been tricked". And then Mr C immediately tries to have Dougie assassinated. That was his plan. Plus Dougie was a debt riddled man who slept with prostitutes; a Mr C trait not a Cooper one. And then we have their wedding ring in Brigg's murdered body, and a Diane tulpa working for Mr C being a direct connection to Janey-E. Mr C's finger prints are all over it.

Again, that's the obvious answer. Lynch is anything but obvious.

1) Mr C's plan was the glass box trap. Coop gets killed so Mr. C doesn't swap. It has no link to Dougie. Naido (Diane?) helps him escape the purple room - that would not have been in Mr C's plan, and he wouldn't have know she was going to do that. She even stopped/helped him from going to the door before they went up to turn on the power. Mr. C could've killed Dougie at any point since 1996 but he didn't. I'm not so sure that was part of Mr. C's plan - but may have been a side plan if Cooper ended up still getting out. Note: he still has no idea Cooper swapped with Dougie - he likely still thinks Dougie is just a tulpa with the ring, and to kill him will send him to the red room.

2) I think Coop made Dougie and steered him to a stable family in order to keep him safe until he needed him. If he made him in 1996, that's 21 years left till Coop would be released. He'd need to make sure he would still be around.

3) Still unsure about how the wedding ring got into Brigg's stomach, but it would have been because of something Coop wanted - so that they would find him. Not anything to do with Mr. C.

4) We have no idea if Diane is really her half sister. The tulpa was not real. That could have just been info implanted in her.

I don’t think Mr C is behind the glass box - it’s whoever Mr C spoke to on the phone in part 2, they said “I missed you in New York”. Also that photo of him inside the box. Not sure when or why that would have happened though.

1) Mr C's plan was the glass box trap. Coop gets killed so Mr. C doesn't swap. It has no link to Dougie. Naido (Diane?) helps him escape the purple room - that would not have been in Mr C's plan, and he wouldn't have know she was going to do that. She even stopped/helped him from going to the door before they went up to turn on the power. Mr. C could've killed Dougie at any point since 1996 but he didn't. I'm not so sure that was part of Mr. C's plan - but may have been a side plan if Cooper ended up still getting out. Note: he still has no idea Cooper swapped with Dougie - he likely still thinks Dougie is just a tulpa with the ring, and to kill him will send him to the red room.

Mr. C made Dougie. There's very little doubt about it at this point. Basically, Mr. C knew that he would be forcibly pulled back into the Lodge when Cooper exited. So, he made Dougie, and gave him the green Owl ring to ensure that he would be the one to go.

Mr. C then sent the assassins to kill Cooper to permanently eliminate the risk of ever being sent back into the Lodge.

Blader

Yeah, he asks MIKE to make another so that Janey-E and Sonny Jim will still have a Dougie.

Coop doesn't seem to know anything about getting out of the Lodge. Laura, MIKE, and The Arm have to tell him when he can leave.

PolishQ

I don’t think Mr C is behind the glass box - it’s whoever Mr C spoke to on the phone in part 2, they said “I missed you in New York”. Also that photo of him inside the box. Not sure when or why that would have happened though.

The photo shows Mr. C in the box room, not inside the box itself. He was there checking on it towards the beginning of when they started the 24/7 video recording, as if to suggest he is the one directing the project.

Season 3 has been relatively concise in its storytelling for a David Lynch project. I don't think Dougie is supposed to be some great Lynchian mystery to unravel, his origin seems obvious because that's the story that has been told, though obviously you're free to interpret it however you want.

The photo shows Mr. C in the box room, not inside the box itself. He was there checking on it towards the beginning of when they started the 24/7 video recording, as if to suggest he is the one directing the project.

The use of the word 'behind' meaning 'is responsible for' - not physically behind.

Chitown B

Though you guys might enjoy some trivia from the new series. A user from the Twin Peaks Logposting FB group posted that her uncle worked on-set and posted a photo of a Woodsman in the makeup chair as proof (seems to be deleted now). Later, she posted this fun bit of trivia, apparently direct from Candie (Amy Shiels)'s mouth at a cast/crew viewing on premiere night:

Another happy accident.

awesome. but what canon is it that was the reason it disappeared?

Mr. C made Dougie. There's very little doubt about it at this point. Basically, Mr. C knew that he would be forcibly pulled back into the Lodge when Cooper exited. So, he made Dougie, and gave him the green Owl ring to ensure that he would be the one to go.

Mr. C then sent the assassins to kill Cooper to permanently eliminate the risk of ever being sent back into the Lodge.

Lynch likes to twist at the end. Consider Diane. No one expected that.

And it's not a stretch to think Cooper had something to do with Dougie. Mr. C's plan was the dopples turning on Coop and flushing him out to be eaten by Mother, in my opinion. Because the other way is too obvious. But we'll see. Coop didn't go into Dougie, he came out through a plug, so Mr. C's plan would have been foiled from the start with his own "NON-EXIST-ENT" plan then.

It really hasn't, at all. It's only concise in comparison to Inland Empire.
Yeah concise probably wasn't the right word, I meant that the storytelling has been surprisingly direct. We have plenty of questions, but the narrative has almost entirely had a purposeful flow with a distinct, coherent arc, even when it didn't seem like it at the time because of the disparate locations or we were missing information.

kaskade

Met Kyle MacLachlan last night at a tasting for his wine. Best day of my life, super nice guy. Signed my mondo vinyl soundtrack and took some pictures.

liquidtmd

Banned
Met Kyle MacLachlan last night at a tasting for his wine. Best day of my life, super nice guy. Signed my mondo vinyl soundtrack and took some pictures.

Kudos! Sounds fun

Obligatory

b6c.gif

bunbun777

Season 4, Cooper and Tammy team up to save Diane, Annie and Chet from the black lodge, with a little help from their friends Andy, one punch, and the polish tax man. All the secrets, all the mystery.

Chitown B

So I always felt that the Log Lady scene with Hawk in the woods was a future moment, but now that she died it must have been real time. So it's odd he would need directions anywhere anymore, and that he looked at the area but never mentioned it to any of the officers.

Chitown B

I'm all for a season without boreathon Dougie if that's what it means!

I don't see it happening. This will tie up Lynch's mystery. After that what would the show be? Just more Dale Cooper being an FBI agent? Many of the original characters died during shooting or previously. There's not many left.

I don't see it happening. This will tie up Lynch's mystery. After that what would the show be? Just more Dale Cooper being an FBI agent? Many of the original characters died during shooting or previously. There's not many left.
No idea. Somehow they managed to turn a show about one strange town into a national city hopping weird fest, I'm sure they'd continue to Blue Rose the fuck out of something.

So I always felt that the Log Lady scene with Hawk in the woods was a future moment, but now that she died it must have been real time. So it's odd he would need directions anywhere anymore, and that he looked at the area but never mentioned it to any of the officers.

Because nothing was there. I've said this before, but I think if the Bad Dale had gone back in, and the evolution of the arm's doppelganger hadn't ambushed our Dale, that he'd probably have come out at Glastonbury grove. Everyone was blindsided by the arm's doppelganger and dougie. They weren't prepared for that ambush.

PolishQ

Here's my take:

Hawk has the "living map", not to mention that he's known of the Owl Cave petroglyph since 25 years ago, which shows various astrological conjunctions corresponding to times that the Lodge opens. And from the events of the S2 finale, he knows about the entrance to the Lodge at Glastonbury Grove.

So it makes sense that he would check up on the Grove from time to time, especially at conjunctions when "something is supposed to happen". So he goes there on the night that Cooper was meant to come out, and although he sees the curtains (which he may have seen before, possibly on multiple occasions), nothing ends up happening. So there's nothing to report.

I think the point of the scene is simply to remind the audience of the entrance at Glastonbury, and to segue into what's happening inside the Lodge.

Top Bottom