• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

Blader

Did anyone else laugh when the first shot of Coop in part 16 was him lying in a hospital bed comatose? After everyone thought he'd be returning to normal after 15, I actually burst out laughing at one final Dougie teasel from Lynch.

Chitown B

Because nothing was there. I've said this before, but I think if the Bad Dale had gone back in, and the evolution of the arm's doppelganger hadn't ambushed our Dale, that he'd probably have come out at Glastonbury grove. Everyone was blindsided by the arm's doppelganger and dougie. They weren't prepared for that ambush.

except a giant pool of black?

Did anyone else laugh when the first shot of Coop in part 16 was him lying in a hospital bed comatose? After everyone thought he'd be returning to normal after 15, I actually burst out laughing at one final Dougie teasel from Lynch.

Haha Janey even straight up says something about how comas can last years. Definitely was a moment to throw in one more dougie joke in

3rdman

Met Kyle MacLachlan last night at a tasting for his wine. Best day of my life, super nice guy. Signed my mondo vinyl soundtrack and took some pictures.

How is the wine? I've heard good things...Where was it???

By the way, in regards to the glass box...My theory is that (somehow) Briggs was involved in its creation. I understand that the prevailing theory is that Mr. C built it but it can't be ignored that the box didn't actually help him, right? In my view, the box acted like an "intersection" of sorts...it "caught" Cooper as he fell into our world and then "redirected" him into the Purple World (land of the Fireman). Briggs' head floats by at some point and says "Blue Rose" which is an utterly meaningless message to anyone EXCEPT a member of the FBI Blue Rose task force.

Further proof that I just considered...2:53 is the time that Briggs had written onto the piece of paper and it was also the time that Naido was found in the woods. It was also (as we know) the time that Cooper left the lodge. Briggs most certainly had a hand in this and (in my estimation) the creation of the box.

Chitown B

So he goes there on the night that Cooper was meant to come out, and although he sees the curtains (which he may have seen before, possibly on multiple occasions), nothing ends up happening. So there's nothing to report.

why would Hawk know anything about the rules of the Red Room or if Coop was supposed to come out?

Futureman

I'm sure this interview was posted way back but I just found it and thought it was interesting/funny.

Entertainment Weekly w/ David Lynch (after the first 4 episodes had aired):
http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/26/twin-peaks-david-lynch/

Q:What were you doing last night while we were all watching the premiere? Were you watching, too?
A: A whole bunch of cast and crew went to a bar in the valley, and they had a big screening. So I pictured them there. I was at home working on a table in my woodshop.

Q:There's a moment when Cole says that back when Denise was transitioning, he told her colleagues who couldn't deal with it to—
A:”Change their hearts or die." That's right. People are people, and we are the way we are. We're all supposed to get along, and diversity should be appreciated fully in the light of unity. That's peace on earth, and there should be room for everyone.

I like this explanation on Dougie/Coop...

Q: Agent Cooper's story isn't just about trying to escape from the Black Lodge. It's also about a guy returning to a world he once knew and reconnecting with it. Does that story resonate with you, in terms of returning to television?
A: Sure. But as you'll also see, it's also about coming into the world as a new life, learning your likes and dislikes, and doing the best you can to find your way.

3rdman

So how did the ring end up inside Garland Briggs' body? What is the significance of it?

Perhaps Garland swallowed it on purpose before "losing" his head...if Briggs did help build the box like I suppose, perhaps he left behind this bread crumb for Cole and Co. to find?

PolishQ

why would Hawk know anything about the rules of the Red Room or if Coop was supposed to come out?

I laid it out in the paragraph before the one you quoted. Now obviously Hawk doesn't know that Cooper is in the Lodge or what the specific rules are, but he knows that there are "important dates" where "things happen" at Glastonbury Grove, so he goes there periodically to check on it. That's all I'm postulating.

-shadow-

Holy hell, Lynch actually wrote Catherine's (Log Lady) death into the series. I'm truly happy that she was in it like she wanted, but fuck I'm crying here ;_;

Chitown B

I laid it out in the paragraph before the one you quoted. Now obviously Hawk doesn't know that Cooper is in the Lodge or what the specific rules are, but he knows that there are "important dates" where "things happen" at Glastonbury Grove, so he goes there periodically to check on it. That's all I'm postulating.

I doubt he knows anything about dates. Nothing in his sheet has anything to do with the red room, and they didn't have any dates until they pulled Gardland's note out.

xclk07

Anyone in Chicago - just got it on good authority that Music Box is screening the finale at 10pm on Sunday for free! They can't advertise/promote this (Showtime obv. wouldn't say "yes" if they were approached), but you can see that there's a "secret screening" if you look at the midnight showing of Fire Walk With Me.

https://www.facebook.com/events/190...tory_type":"regular","action_history":"null"}

Super excited to see the end on the big screen! Will definitely NOT be online from 7 to 10 central though. :)

Chitown B

Anyone in Chicago - just got it on good authority that Music Box is screening the finale at 10pm on Sunday for free! They can't advertise/promote this (Showtime obv. wouldn't say "yes" if they were approached), but you can see that there's a "secret screening" if you look at the midnight showing of Fire Walk With Me.

https://www.facebook.com/events/190...tory_type":"regular","action_history":"null"}

Super excited to see the end on the big screen! Will definitely NOT be online from 7 to 10 central though. :)

yeah I saw and would've loved to go to that, but I'll be in STL for a reunion. BAH.

PolishQ

Neither does the owl cave map. No dates. Nor info on what is even in the red room - he would have no reason to think Cooper is even a part of it.

It has dates in the form of planetary alignments. That's how they knew that the Lodge would be opening in the S2 finale. "The stars turn and a time presents itself."

I agree with you that Hawk has no reason to connect it with Cooper. As of Part 2, Hawk thinks that Cooper went into the Lodge at Glastonbury Grove 25 years ago and came out a day later. But he doesn't say anything about being there for Cooper. He just says "something is supposed to be happening here tonight." He doesn't know what.

I doubt he knows anything about dates. Nothing in his sheet has anything to do with the red room, and they didn't have any dates until they pulled Gardland's note out.

I'm almost certain there's a scene in the original series where the Sheriff's Office (inc. Hawk) figure out when the gateway in Glastonbury Grove will open.

Nibel

Randomly remembered the scene with the accountant from the last episode today and laughed my ass off

It's so fucking perfect and out of nowhere

Chitown B

It has dates in the form of planetary alignments. That's how they knew that the Lodge would be opening in the S2 finale. "The stars turn and a time presents itself."

I agree with you that Hawk has no reason to connect it with Cooper. As of Part 2, Hawk thinks that Cooper went into the Lodge at Glastonbury Grove 25 years ago and came out a day later. But he doesn't say anything about being there for Cooper. He just says "something is supposed to be happening here tonight." He doesn't know what.

I'm almost certain there's a scene in the original series where the Sheriff's Office (inc. Hawk) figure out when the gateway in Glastonbury Grove will open.

fair enough

-shadow-

And episode 16 done, really enjoyed it and really curious what the finale is going to be. Curious what's exactly going on with Audrey, I have an idea but we'll see soon enough!

EdmondD

DIANE EVANS = ANNIE SAVED

Special Agent Dale Cooper is Diane plus COOPER GET A SCALPEL. Really makes you think.
This stuff cracks me up.
The original series answered this pretty definitively, since it's a repeated line from Coop's first visit to the red room. Arms bending back is a reference to Laura and Ronette's hands tied with rope in Jacques' cabin and eventually the train carriage. Albert explains the arms plied with rope in a scene from the first season as he runs down the forensic evidence.
Never made that connection. My mind is kind of blown right now. I always wondered what she meant.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Yeah, that was perfect lol

3rdman

Predictions for next weeks episode..

I suspect that the note Cooper left at the hospital tells Cole to meet him at the sheriff's station in twin peaks.

I predict that after a short but happy reunion with Cole and the gang, they'll be heading to Margaret's funeral. Deep feels and hijinks ( like all TP funerals) will happen.

I also predict that the final confrontation between the Coops will mirror their last one but Coop's courage won't fail him the second time!

I have plenty of other hopes and wishes but I'll just bore you all. :p

For some reason it only just occurred to me that James is investigating the ringing noise in Part 14. There's something going on inside the Great Northern.

LProtag

Feels like Lynch made a 16 hour movie to build up for the 2 hour long Twin Peaks movie.

Well, it's kinda like how all movies tend to set up that last half-hour of the film. You can often tell when that part shows up.

Though it's a little less clear cut with Lynch at the helm.

EdmondD

Rewatching now starting to think Richard is not dead when he got disintegrated. I think they were trying to capture Doop not kill him.

I am all too aware that things are drawing to a close with this series, and if anyone is anything like me, the end will be bitter sweet no matter what, or how it, happens. I have to keep reminding myself that even though we've only got a couple of hours left we know from past experience that Lynch can cover a hell of a lot of ground in weird and wonderful ways in that time. The story telling and pacing has worked out well so far, from experiencing the show on a week to week basis so many things have been satisfying in how they've played out so far. I've been really enjoying the ride. If all the reports are true and Lynch has been given as much creative freedom as we have been led to believe I am really excited to see how this end. I think we are going to be in for a real treat with this finale.

I've also really enjoyed checking in with this thread after each episode and reading about what you all have to say. It's really given me a sense of "If you miss it tonight, you won’t know what everyone’s talking about tomorrow.” that I was too young to experience before.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Finally caught up... Got showtime on vue just to watch this... but I'm leaving the country tomorrow. I don't think I'll get to watch the finale.

I'm confused by a lot of course, but what is really poking at my brain, when Bowie Tea Pot was talking to Omega Coop he mentions that he talked to him back in FWWM. So is it just that parts of Alpha Coop is sharing the same body with bad coop and that's why he asks who it was or was the coop in FWWM actually somehow a coopleganger?

I wish I was watching this at the same time as everyone else so I could catch up on the theories.

fenners

Finally caught up... Got showtime on vue just to watch this... but I'm leaving the country tomorrow. I don't think I'll get to watch the finale.

I'm confused by a lot of course, but what is really poking at my brain, when Bowie Tea Pot was talking to Omega Coop he mentions that he talked to him back in FWWM. So is it just that parts of Alpha Coop is sharing the same body with bad coop and that's why he asks who it was or was the coop in FWWM actually somehow a coopleganger?

I wish I was watching this at the same time as everyone else so I could catch up on the theories.

Mr.C/Doppelganger Coop has Coop's memories, basically.

EdmondD

I just wanna know what happened with that "Judy" whispering monkey. Don't let me down, Lynch.

The monkey that is behind the mask of the Tremond boy? When did it whisper Judy?
Edit: Watching the Jeffries scene form FWWM. As soon as Jeffries disappears they get a call that Chester Desmond disappeared. Maybe there is hope we will see him again. If we do I can see him being transfomred like Jeffries was.

Mr.C/Doppelganger Coop has Coop's memories, basically.

Mr C was there too, in one form or another. You see what must be him on the video monitor, right before Jeffries appears, when Coop's image seems to stay on the monitor even after he has left the corridor. When he yells 'GORDON!'.

Jeffries walks *around* this other Coop.

It's got to be Mr C.

Top Bottom