• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

3rdman

Guys! I just had a thought and as I live alone, y'all will have to put up with my random ideas. Forgive me if this thought has already been discussed...

If we look at the breadth of the last 16 episodes, there is an argument to be made that everything has been one large meta-commentary on all of Lynch's works. There are references to his favorite movies, to Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Eraserhead, etc. throughout the show so far...keep this in mind.

The key to all of this making sense (I believe) lies in Cole's Monica Bellucci dream. In it she asks "the ancient question": "We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream...but who is the dreamer?" Unless someone or something is introduced in the last two episodes, I thinks its fair to say that this HAS to be a reference to either Cooper or Audrey. As theories abound, I've read many that suggests that perhaps everything we've seen in the show is part of a dream...I don't buy this. For one, if either of them are the dreamer, neither would have been able to dream up cell phones, GPS, text messaging, etc. Besides, Lynch, although he loves to play with perspective and time, has never "pulled the rug" from under an audience like that.

With that said, what if the dreamer was somehow making things happen...dreams made manifest. If this is the case, Audrey is the likely choice. She is most connected to the town...what if she is somehow physically creating the madness in the town? Shelly's stereotypical love of bad boys, zombie girl, the rampant sickness, etc...something is off about the whole town. Again, not part of a dream but rather her dreams are making things change/happen in the real world.

If this is the case, then Charlie's presence becomes much more ominous. He is perhaps not a construct of her mind but rather the construct of an external force. There is evidence to support this...he dallies from leaving the house, he threatens to "end her story", and he appears to be a force in control of her. So perhaps he is actually a creation of the lodges and somehow made to exist in her subconcious? It needs to be mentioned that upon "waking up" we hear loud electrical cracking noises and we all know where that comes from.

Lastly, like I said at the top, all of Lynch's works are represented but one has been somewhat absent until now...
the-sleeper-has-awakened-dune.png

Chitown B

so the kid killed with the car has a "spirit" that visually floats up to somewhere - why? This has never happened. What does it mean?

AoM

so the kid killed with the car has a "spirit" that visually floats up to somewhere - why? This has never happened. What does it mean?

I assume the point was to show Carl's ability to see it. I hope he comes into play these last two episodes.

sappyday

Guys! I just had a thought and as I live alone, y'all will have to put up with my random ideas. Forgive me if this thought has already been discussed...

If we look at the breadth of the last 16 episodes, there is an argument to be made that everything has been one large meta-commentary on all of Lynch's works. There are references to his favorite movies, to Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Eraserhead, etc. throughout the show so far...keep this in mind.

The key to all of this making sense (I believe) lies in Cole's Monica Bellucci dream. In it she asks "the ancient question": "We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream...but who is the dreamer?" Unless someone or something is introduced in the last two episodes, I thinks its fair to say that this HAS to be a reference to either Cooper or Audrey. As theories abound, I've read many that suggests that perhaps everything we've seen in the show is part of a dream...I don't buy this. For one, if either of them are the dreamer, neither would have been able to dream up cell phones, GPS, text messaging, etc. Besides, Lynch, although he loves to play with perspective and time, has never "pulled the rug" from under an audience like that.

With that said, what if the dreamer was somehow making things happen...dreams made manifest. If this is the case, Audrey is the likely choice. She is most connected to the town...what if she is somehow physically creating the madness in the town? Shelly's stereotypical love of bad boys, zombie girl, the rampant sickness, etc...something is off about the whole town. Again, not part of a dream but rather her dreams are making things change/happen in the real world.

If this is the case, then Charlie's presence becomes much more ominous. He is perhaps not a construct of her mind but rather the construct of an external force. There is evidence to support this...he dallies from leaving the house, he threatens to "end her story", and he appears to be a force in control of her. So perhaps he is actually a creation of the lodges and somehow made to exist in her subconcious? It needs to be mentioned that upon "waking up" we hear loud electrical cracking noises and we all know where that comes from.

Lastly, like I said at the top, all of Lynch's works are represented but one has been somewhat absent until now...
Holy shit I think that's a great theory. I could see it being true.

Kurdel

Banned
Randomly remembered the scene with the accountant from the last episode today and laughed my ass off

It's so fucking perfect and out of nowhere

As stated numerous time, that whole scene was so Tarantino, as were Hutch and Chantelle.

Fuck this show is god tier stuff, can’t allow 1% of my being to hope for another season, I need to focus on appreciating this gift.

Chitown B

Nothing will be the same on Monday. No matter what happens, TP is over. We can keep analyzing afterwards but what's done is done at that point. And that makes me sad. It's finite.

sappyday

As stated numerous time, that whole scene was so Tarantino, as were Hutch and Chantelle.

Fuck this show is god tier stuff, can’t allow 1% of my being to hope for another season, I need to focus on appreciating this gift.
And Tim Roth said that Lynch didn't even know they were in the latest Tarantino movie.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It's good to assume it's the last, and if we get more then we get more. Be fun to see everyone's reactions after tomorrow's episodes, though.

Slaythe

Honestly I'd rather have something new than more Twin Peaks when half the cast is deceased, and probably Cooper will leave us for good tomorrow.

Hopefully Showtime can convince him to do some 10 episodes long new series.

Mr. Tibbs

Like George Miller's absurdly ambitious Fury Road, I'm fine if Lynch never works again and goes out on top with The Return.

Obviously I would love more, but he's contributed so much to the film and television that I don't want to be greedy. I'm just shocked at how great this is after a decade long absence.

Would anyone be able to tell me when CraveTV usually uploads the new episodes?

Also words fail me to describe how good this season is. I just can't.

My interpretation is that Carl is one of the "special" people who can see things like that. He's see the kid's spirit leave his body.

He's one of three (?) kids "abducted" in the woods like Major Briggs in S2. One of them was the Log Lady. I'd bet the experience changed him somehow. He probably has the triangle tattoo somewhere.

So here it is then - the last weekend of the season of Twin Peaks we thought we'd never get.

I'm going to be pulling a late one and watching live tomorrow, instead of my usual 'up at 5am to stream the latest episode' routine.

Let's rock.

Rien

Jelly Belly

I like this

What if you're not actually living alone tho...we are all neighbors in this madhouse that he has created for us

Pretty well thought out analysis. I don't think he would dare be so concrete with what meaning he applied to the show tho so at the end of the day a theory like this is as good as any other.

Also I'm pretty drunk right now so this kinda blew my mind lmao

Like George Miller's absurdly ambitious Fury Road, I'm fine if Lynch never works again and goes out on top with The Return.

Obviously I would love more, but he's contributed so much to the film and television that I don't want to be greedy. I'm just shocked at how great this is after a decade long absence.

Dude...lets just take a moment to realize that both George Miller and Lynch are in their 70s and have delivered what is arguably their most accomplished work. Almost like this is a culmination of their whole career through both a retrospective and something to flex their experience

It's so good. Their creative minds are as sharp as ever.

dlauv

Every episode of this series has so many incredibly good and memorable scenes, even if the story is or isn't to our preference. It's just beautiful stuff, and I can't wait for tomorrow.

Slaythe

Heh, I think "the return" had too many shortcomings/flaws to be seen as his most "accomplished" work. (As in some of his other work is just more consistent quality wise, Fire Walk With Me and Mulholland Drive especially)

That being said it was definitely an exceptional ride and a worthy conclusion to his career if he decides to stop here.

He showed he was still above of the curve.

Oh don't get me wrong I think Mulholland Drive is still his strongest work as a whole. But this season feels like lynch greatest hits. I'm loving how he has revisited his career with it.

I guess I'm crazy because I love the Roadhouse scenes. I see little love for them on here but Lynch uses them to set the tone of a moment in the story (NIN is a perfect example of this) or as a coda that taps into some element of the human experience. Last weeks scene with the girl being completely humiliated and disregarded connected with me emotionally more than a lot of the central plot threads do.

Zach

That's the spirit!

I guess I'm crazy because I love the Roadhouse scenes. I see little love for them on here but Lynch uses them to set the tone of a moment in the story (NIN is a perfect example of this) or as a coda that taps into some element of the human experience. Last weeks scene with the girl being completely humiliated and disregarded connected with me emotionally more than a lot of the central plot threads do.

I thought it was just okay at first, but the NIN performance has really grown on me.

Nah, I'm completely with you, friend. I absolutely love all of the Roadhouse music scenes.

Slaythe

I mean, let's not pretend like people had more issues with the actual roadhouse scenes than the pacing of some episodes.

Most the complaints about the roadhouse seem to be “its filler”. Ignoring the fact they had a script and 18 hours given to them before they filmed the music scenes. It’s not like you’d be getting something else if they weren’t there.

Boem

Yeah Dune is worth a watch. Not because it's anywhere near the top of Lynch stuff (it obviously isn't, largely not his fault of course), but if you're in the right mood it's a very fun, baffling bad movie ride. As long as you know you're not getting a good movie you'll be fine.

The only problem with it airing at 8PM EST is that correlates to 5PM here on the west coast. There's no way I'm delaying a single minute on watching the finale, but there's something off about watching Twin Peaks when it's still bright and sunny outside.

Slaythe

It's not about whether Dune is worth a watch or not (even though that's actually debatable).

You don't watch fucking Dune after the Twin Peaks finale just aired.

Come on.

rgoulart

72ef7acd120b3dbff4f81849442ad2204bdcb2f7_hq.gif

Dude, no.

Dude, they get to see Sting in crazy space underwear. Let them have this moment.

Yeah Dune is worth a watch. Not because it's anywhere near the top of Lynch stuff (it obviously isn't, largely not his fault of course), but if you're in the right mood it's a very fun, baffling bad movie ride. As long as you know you're not getting a good movie you'll be fine.

It's not about whether Dune is worth a watch or not (even though that's actually debatable).

You don't watch fucking Dune after the Twin Peaks finale just aired.

Come on.

Watch Dune. It's kinda cool and kinda terrible.

Like chasing a good scotch with horse piss.

lol this is funny.

There are four Lynch films I've never seen. Dune, Wild at Heart, The Straight Story and Eraserhead.

Yes, I never saw Eraserhead and I think that's a much better fit to watch after Twin Peaks finale, if only to see the young Phillip Jeffries.

Zach

Watch 'em all, buddy. They're all very different movies, so that's cool. The Straight Story is the best one out of those four, in my opinion.

Obscura

For those who haven't seen it, Jodorowsky's Dune is a great documentary about one of the best films never made. And if you like Lynch but aren't familiar with Alejandro Jodorwosky I cannot recommend his films enough. El Topo, The Holy Mountain, Santa Sangre, The Dance of Reality... All surrealist films of the highest, strangest quality.

rgoulart

Watch 'em all, buddy. They're all very different movies, so that's cool. The Straight Story is the best one out of those four, in my opinion.

Nice! Thanks. I'll watch them all for sure. Love his style.

For those who haven't seen it, Jodorowsky's Dune is a great documentary about one of the best films never made. And if you like Lynch but aren't familiar with Alejandro Jodorwosky I cannot recommend his films enough. El Topo, The Holy Mountain, Santa Sangre, The Dance of Reality... All surrealist films of the highest, strangest quality.

I've been delaying watching Jodorowsky's films for years now. By now there's really no reason not to do it, I guess it's time to finally watch them.

Top Bottom