• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

rgoulart

I'm sure this has been discussed already but rewatching Fire Walk With Me and then watching the Phillip Jeffries scene is all the more emblematic now. He says: I've been to one of their meetings. It was above a convenience store. It was a dream. We live inside a dream.

lfdfFiH.jpg

And then there's Audrey's dance in Episode 2 of the first season, she says this right before she starts dancing.

Right now this is me trying to pierce together everything we've seen so far

Kalor

Thanks.

One more question. Now that the mythos has been greatly expanded this season, is The Secret History of Twin Peaks still a reliable source of info or has some of that stuff been contradicted by recent developments?

Some of it contradicts the original series but it matches up to the new season since it was wrote with it in mind. I'm curious if the justification for certain points not matching up is related to whatever is going on with Audrey.

Some of it contradicts the original series but it matches up to the new season since it was wrote with it in mind. I'm curious if the justification for certain points not matching up is related to whatever is going on with Audrey.

Besides Norma's parents, anyone have any more specific examples of what doesn't quite line up?

Flipyap

Annie's entire existence, for starters.
Also:
- Tamara Preston's investigation takes place in 2016, which would be two years after the ending of this show (or Lucy's pregnancy lasted around three years).
- Tamara Preston is a completely different character (possibly literally?).
- Ed and Nadine's backstory is completely different.

We have two hours left for some weird-ass twist to retcon that book back into relevance.

This lengthy spreadsheet goes over most of them. It even tried to come up with in world explanations for them.

I also just read that Mark Frost apparently referred multiple times to Lana as the winner of Miss Twin Peaks, not Annie, during the book tour.

EDIT: Oh, that's on the spreadsheet too. I'm convinced something's going to explain this in the last two.

Rewatched the season 2 finale for the first time in like five years. Man, what a great episode. The Black Lodge sequences were incredible! The lighting and atmosphere is definitely better than in season 3.

Oh don't get me wrong I think Mulholland Drive is still his strongest work as a whole. But this season feels like lynch greatest hits. I'm loving how he has revisited his career with it.
While Mulholland Drive is such a strong contender, it felt almost like Lost Highway Part 2- whereas I think Blue Velvet remains number one with a fucking bullet.

I believe it's the grounded villain versus nebulous grim possibilities that make Velvet his best- not to mention the subversion on full display.

Flipyap

Speaking of Dune: which version should I watch (never seen it)?
The regular theatrical cut. Lynch is still mad that he didn't get the final cut, so any unofficial extended cut will only get farther from what he wanted that movie to be.

Kalor

I rewatched the season 2 finale earlier since I didn't watch it before this season and the intonation in Dopple Coops voice at the end is just like it is in the current season. It's a nice little detail that they stuck to.

I mean, I gave the movie a 5 out of 10 soooo... >_>

It's worth a watch once to see Cooper, Cole, Big Ed, Gersten Haywood and Captain Xavier Picard do their early thing. And the sentient space vag of course.

I rewatched the season 2 finale earlier since I didn't watch it before this season and the intonation in Dopple Coops voice at the end is just like it is in the current season. It's a nice little detail that they stuck to.

"I need to brush my teeth".

WriterGK

Sonic Youth posted a photo of Kyle/Coop on there facebook. So we have Trent/Nine Inch Nails, Chromatics with amazing Shadow and now we are going to get Sonic Youth. The music alone makes this season worth it <3

mjp2417

Banned
Sonic Youth posted a photo of Kyle/Coop on there facebook. So we have Trent/Nine Inch Nails, Chromatics with amazing Shadow and now we are going to get Sonic Youth. The music alone makes this season worth it <3

It looks like it's just a pic of Kim Gordon kicking it with Kyle. If Sonic Youth were in the show we would know about it.

I don't want to be in another meanwhile. I want new twin peaks every Sunday for the rest of my life.

Obviously I cannot have this, but the last three or four months have been an amazing gift I will never forget and experiencing this season with so many friends online and offline has been incredible. I can't quite get my head around events being somewhat underlined once more, that we will see the new end of so many stories.

But I am sure it will sink in fast.

Please don't fuck up Ed and Norma. Please let Bobby save his marriage. Please let Coop get left in a better place than he was last time.

I don't expect happy endings all around, but give me some. 25 years of Ed and Norma ruined, and Audrey maybe dead, and Coop trapped in the lodge was rough. Fingers crossed.

WriterGK

I don't want to be in another meanwhile. I want new twin peaks every Sunday for the rest of my life.

Obviously I cannot have this, but the last three or four months have been an amazing gift I will never forget and experiencing this season with so many friends online and offline has been incredible. I can't quite get my head around events being somewhat underlined once more, that we will see the new end of so many stories.

But I am sure it will sink in fast.

Please don't fuck up Ed and Norma. Please let Bobby save his marriage. Please let Coop get left in a better place than he was last time.

I don't expect happy endings all around, but give me some. 25 years of Ed and Norma ruined, and Audrey maybe dead, and Coop trapped in the lodge was rough. Fingers crossed.

Awesome bro. Let's hope some of that will come true.
Enjoy the last two episodes!! I also wish that there will be coming more! And goodluck with your binge watch marathon of the whole season :D (Y)

Is anyone going to watch the 18 hour marathon tomorrow? I would have tried but I've already rewatched the episodes way too many times.

Linkin112

Is anyone going to watch the 18 hour marathon tomorrow? I would have tried but I've already rewatched the episodes way too many times.
I don't have the attention span for 18 straight hours of anything. I'll do a rewatch before I cancel Showtime for sure though, just in smaller chunks.

I haven't rewatched any episodes since the first four, so I started rewatching yesterday and I'm up to episode 9. I'm planning on doing 6 or 7 episodes tomorrow.

Everything is amazing, even the sweeping scene. I love this season so much, it's been an absolutely wild ride.

One thing I didn't pick up on the first time around is that Cole is constantly apologizing to people for Albert's grumpiness, haha. Those two are one of the best parts of this season. Rip Miguel Ferrer. :(

Definitely will rewatch when the bluray is out. Was great seeing this in hd on tv but the black color kind of came out a bit murky for me which is a shame because a good chunk of this show is shrouded in darkness

Menome

Definitely will rewatch when the bluray is out. Was great seeing this in hd on tv but the black color kind of came out a bit murky for me which is a shame because a good chunk of this show is shrouded in darkness

hugocésar;247733777 said:
The compression in any scene with the forests gave me a headache.

I thought it was just my TV being rubbish. Good to know it should definitely be better on Blu-Ray then.

Airola

My realistic expectations:

-Bob shows up in a horrifying scene. The mirror scene in episode 5(?) used Bob way better than I ever hoped this season would show him. Even though it was a great and quite creepy scene, it wasn't even nearly as frightening as some of the stuff seen in season 2 though. So I'm expecting at least one more use of Bob and I'm expecting it to be amazingly creepy. I expect his laughing face from episode 14 to appear somewhere.

-A new place in the Lodge we have never seen before. There will also be a new way how time and space are going weird. Just like the "Purple Room" scene was made in a completely new way, I expect there to be another new idea brought in the last two episodes.

-Another appearance of Wally Brando. And if not appearance, he will be mentioned/acknowledged in some fashion (I will accept even showing how he never was in the picture with Andy and Lucy, if there happens to be some sort of a "dream fantasy" plot going on).

-Cooper and Gordon Cole meet and their chemistry is as great as it ever was. There needs to be a scene where the exact opposite to the "Cole meets Mr. C" scene happens.

-Philip Gerard shows up in the real world.

-We get to see/hear what happened to Donna.

My unrealistic expectations:

-For some reason the cold feeling of the Red Room in this season has been intentional and they'll suddenly bring back the same warmth and closed feeling seasons 1 and 2 and FWWM had. The coldness has been because of some plot reason and now that plot advances and we get to experience the Red Room in the way we used to.

-Annie appears (dead or alive - probably dead)

-Ontkean as Truman makes a quick appearance. Maybe dies and appears in the Lodge after that.

-Sam Stanley and Chet Desmond make an appearance.

-Windom Earle is seen in some form or another in the Lodge.

-Leo is acknowledged.

-The Annie/Lana Miss Twin Peaks weirdness from the Secret History is explained at least a bit.

-We see a "what if" kind of scene that shows the Palmer family as if Laura had never been killed, and Bob will be part of that scene.

Plagiarize is going to, atleast he said so :p
Yep! And we've seen every episode but the last two at least three times each.

We are going out to get snacks and supplies in a few minutes. Katy is going to load up on cheesy snacks in honour of Chantal. I got some dark roast cold brew already. We cannot wait, but we may not be so excited at 4am. I also expect the afternoon to be a lull. I'll check in after every couple of episodes I guess.

It's the only chance to do this, not knowing how it's going to end, which is super exciting.

Was at a farmers market today and saw a delicious looking cherry pie.

Bought it immediately.

Am ready for tomorrow night. Well, will be once fresh coffee is brewed at 7:45 PM tomorrow....

Top Bottom