• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

liquidtmd

Banned
It is going to be a glorious day. James is still cool. He's always been cool.

For the last time.

For the last time.

You bet he is!
only in Audreys brain because there's no way a real life Roadhouse would put him on the bill

All aboard the 1am UK train for the finale, toot toot

Also - musically, very much liking The Veils. Going through their back cat, great band Mr Lynch introduced me to

Woke up about roughly an hour ago and most, if not all, of my dreams were about Twin Peaks or Twin Peaks themed.

Actually can't wait to see how it unfolds. I only finally started watching before the new season after promising myself for a long time to start. Now I can say witthout question that this season has been the greatest season of TV I've ever seen despite its bumps, flaws and faults.

Gonna stay up for 1am and see the finale as it happens. CANT. WAIT!

I dreamt about my alarm clock failing to wake me, and then my phone telling the wrong time, so we missed the start of the marathon. Fortunately that didn't really happen.

Fortunately I'm not on call today and I have tomorrow off. Makes this whole thing very doable.

Anyways time for part 4.

Not going to be able to watch this live as I will be at the US Open tonight. But depending on how the Querry/Zverev match goes I will leave early and hopefully watch it before I go to sleep, otherwise it will wait another day as I'm back at the US Open on Monday.

Zach

Happy Twin Peaks finale day, GAF. The journey wouldn't have been the same without y'all, can't wait for the post-series discussion but wishing it didn't have to end.
giphy.gif

Corpsepyre

Banned
We're at the end. Bummer. Didn't think it'll ever end. Seems like it started just yesterday, but man, has it been a wild fucking ride or what? TV's going to go back to being mediocre after tomorrow.

As for expectations, I'm in the dark here. Expect the unexpected.

Ray Donovan commercials all day long.

The last time Twin Peaks ended it was one of the most remarkable things I'd ever seen on TV. Expectations are running high...

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Going to pickup fresh made donuts in honor of the finale today. It has been a pleasure watching this entire season and sharing reactions/thoughts with you fine ladies & gents in our Twin Peaks threads.

Here's to an amazing finale full of mindfucks & tears.

Kalor

It's going to be a long 12 hours. I'm going into this expecting the bare minimum to be resolved as I doubt they'll wrap up most of the smaller mysteries that they've established this season.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Less than 12 hours until the beginning of the end for the finale.

God, I'm getting all at once excited and sad, but I do look forward immensely to the post-episode discussion with y'all no matter where this goes.

As windswept plays over part 5s closing credits I find myself reflecting on how good all the music was this season. It wasn't what we thought we wanted (lots of new Angelo) but it was still brilliant.

Which nicely mirrors the new series.

Dusk Golem

The real Dougie Jones is a complete cunt I bet.

The little we know about the Dougie before doesn't paint him in the best light. Now given, the Dougie before was manufactured for a purpose by Mr. C, and as Mr. C is a being of evil (as has been firmly established), there was little hope that Dougie would've been a good person. But from the little we know, he worked at an insurance company, he in the past had an episode which made him act a bit similarly to how Cooper was acting as Dougie (which is one reason why people were more open to him acting this way as it was not the first time), he owed some people a pretty massive sum of money from gambling debt, and he was off cheating on his wife with a prostitute on his son's birthday.

It doesn't sound like he was all bad really, he wasn't doing anything remarkably evil or anything from the bits we know, but he was still a pretty shitty person from the pieces we do know.

Vectorman

Banned
As windswept plays over part 5s closing credits I find myself reflecting on how good all the music was this season. It wasn't what we thought we wanted (lots of new Angelo) but it was still brilliant.

Lynch didn't use all of Johnny's music it seems like. Kept it pretty bare minimum. Honestly some music in some certain scenes would have helped.

Dusk Golem

Lynch didn't use all of Johnny's music it seems like. Kept it pretty bare minimum. Honestly some music in some certain scenes would have helped.

The bits of music I've liked, but yes I would've liked if they used more music from Windswept as the album in general is pretty great. Was a fantastic spending of $1 to get that.

The new season did hold off on music a lot (though more in the first half than the second half notably), but I think music has been used to good effect when it has been used, and the season has made good use of silence/pure audio design as well. But it is notable one reason I think this season felt quite a bit different in certain scenes was the lack of music in some bits, there's some scenes in the new season I think feel pretty close to the original Twin Peaks except they're missing music. I played some Twin Peaks music over some scenes when rewatching to test this theory, and in some cases it really did seem like the case.

I don't mind it personally, but it is something that's notable.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have strongly disliked most of this season but the last episode was really good, so I'm all in for the finale tonight.

Dusk Golem

I need you to make another one

This bit has me a bit worried. One possibility I can't shake out of my head is that in the finale Cooper is going to do something to sacrifice himself for the greater good, he seems to know what he needs to do based on Part 16 but has reason to suspect he won't return from whatever it is he needs to do. And the seed 'Dougie' to replace him in Janey-E's life and such will be the remaining 'Cooper' to go on to live a happy life with his family and friends. Cooper could just not return to that life and go back to the FBI, but I'm getting a sense Cooper knows what he's doing is a cut and close thing he can't return from. This makes me sad because Cooper for years has been one of my favorite protagonists in anything ever. His confident do-gooder boy scout self with a likable compassion for others, quirky persona with interestingly odd taste, love of food, and capabilities as an FBI agent and all around decent person won me over ages ago, and it was incredibly satisfying to see him return to form in Part 15/16. So I do want him to have a happy ending, but I feel he's going to go out like a hero.

I also just realized how satisfying it might be to see Cooper take on Mr. C, they've done a good job at establishing Mr. C not only as a different character as Cooper (to the point I think it won't bother me even seeing them in a scene together), but despite Mr. C doing some over the top deplorable things, it hasn't felt too indulgent and the sort of cold evil style he has does make me want to see Mr. C go down at Cooper's hands in a fantastical way.

Dusk Golem

Hype is high. A story 25 years in the making is going to finish later today. Wowzers.

Is it though???

We might all still get Lynched in the end.

As someone who's liked about all of this season personally and think this might go down as my favorite work Lynch has done personally, I'm excited. I also honestly don't quite know what to expect with the finale, but we'll see soon.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It's been a wild ride. I haven't been this obsessed with a TV show since LOST.

Don't forget, though, we still have Mark Frost's Final Dossier after this.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Twin Peaks. Two Peaks. Good & Evil. Light & Dark.
Cooper must "sacrifice" himself if he wants to neutralize Mr. C. All signs point to Dougie being manufactured in the end again but this time solely for Janey-E & Sonny. Which means he won't turn up to be a complete dick like the previous manufactured Dougie hopefully.

It's definitely going to be bittersweet. But a part of me hopes for the worst tbh though lol.

Edit:
Is it though???

We might all still get Lynched in the end.
Here's hoping! >:)

Jesus the scene where Dick runs over the kid, even with all the memes about the onlookers, when Carl walks over to the mom I was legit weeping. Lynch is a fucking master.

Dusk Golem

Jesus the scene where Dick runs over the kid, even with all the memes about the onlookers, when Carl walks over to the mom I was legit weeping. Lynch is a fucking master.

People respond to things differently so I can see some people finding the scene comedic or something, but that was the response that scene gave me the first time watching it too. It was a profound reaction from me, I think the reason I responded like that is partially because I can easily get emotionally involved in things I'm watching (I mention since there's a pretty even split of people who can and can't, related to personality things), but it wasn't so much the event myself as much as the weight given to the event. Seeing a kid run over by itself won't do much for me as it can come off as pure shock value, but I appreciated the build-up and aftermath of it. Seeing the response of the people around and the way Carl responds to coming upon the scene with the music playing and the way it lingers on the scene for a bit did actually get to me.

I also will say I'm incredibly happy with how Carl has been handled this season. When the cast list was revealed, seeing Carl return was one of the odder roles I was excited to see return and was hoping he'd be more developed and likable, and truly he has been handled well in this season and I'm glad he returned.

People respond to things differently so I can see some people finding the scene comedic or something, but that was the response that scene gave me the first time watching it too. It was a profound reaction from me, I think the reason I responded like that is partially because I can easily get emotionally involved in things I'm watching (I mention since there's a pretty even split of people who can and can't, related to personality things), but it wasn't so much the event myself as much as the weight given to the event. Seeing a kid run over by itself won't do much for me as it can come off as pure shock value, but I appreciated the build-up and aftermath of it. Seeing the response of the people around and the way Carl responds to coming upon the scene with the music playing and the way it lingers on the scene for a bit did actually get to me.

I also will say I'm incredibly happy with how Carl has been handled this season. When the cast list was revealed, seeing Carl return was one of the odder roles I was excited to see return and was hoping he'd be more developed and likable, and truly he has been handled well in this season and I'm glad he returned.

It's definitively about taking right action and not just observing the bad or the wrong. It's so fucking powerful.

Side note, I love that Johnny Jewel's "Windswept" stuff is basically Dougie's theme music. It's this weird outgrowth of Badalmenti's style so it fits it perfectly. It reminds you of the original, but it's not quite the same.

Javier23

Banned
Twin Peaks. Two Peaks. Good & Evil. Light & Dark.
Cooper must "sacrifice" himself if he wants to neutralize Mr. C. All signs point to Dougie being manufactured in the end again but this time solely for Janey-E & Sonny. Which means he won't turn up to be a complete dick like the previous manufactured Dougie hopefully.

It's definitely going to be bittersweet. But a part of me hopes for the worst tbh though lol.

Edit:

Here's hoping! >:)
I have few doubts that the finale will be great no matter what, but to be entirely honest, after these three seasons plus the movie there isn't much Lynch & Frost can do that will ruin anything up to this moment for me, even if the finale unexpectedly turned out to be a crime against humanity the likes of which is pretty hard to expect after 16 episodes of Lynch on top of his game. So I don't care much about how it turns out, I feel really, really satisfied. That said, I'm obviously very interested on seeing what will happen. Even more so intellectually speaking. One of Lynch's anxieties seems to be the battle between good and evil and how the latter always seems to have the winning hand by virtue of its intrinsic power and deviousness. Season two's finale seemed to confirm this. Pretty much everything leading up to that point did too. So far there hasn't been much the good guys in the show could feel happy or proud about, really. So after 25 years it should be interesting to see Lynch's moral theses taken to their... sweet? bitter? end. I'm personally intrigued on seeing how it will all turn out.

Number_6

Speaking of Dune: which version should I watch (never seen it)?

So many people wanting to watch Lynch's Dune (that he disowned).

It hurts me to think this could be their only Dune experience.

Read the book (if you haven't).

E owes me for twooo.

I am surprised more people don't quote that scene.

Amazon just had the audacity to ask if we were still watching. Of course we are! It's Twin Peaks all day Amazon. Get used to it.

Closer Two

I want to speculate but it feels pointless. The final episode of Twin Peaks. How can it not be unpredictable? How can it not be
totally fucking cocoa-bananas.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Got a cherry pie, fresh bag of coffee beans, and no work tomorrow. Having the finale on a 3-day weekend was a stroke of genius.

Let's rock.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Turn Showtime on already. Episode 8 is about to begin.
I subscribe through Amazon. Thankfully, they put the episodes up as soon as the broadcast starts. I'll be losing most of my day to Rabbids.

I think I'm going told on going through the series again before I do a full TP re-watch next year. By that time, I'll also have read Secret History and Final Dossier. It'll be nice.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
It's been a wild ride. I haven't been this obsessed with a TV show since LOST.

Don't forget, though, we still have Mark Frost's Final Dossier after this.

Exactly this. I haven't felt this much insanity and theorizing since the weekly LOST threads. I'd go so far as to say season 3 of twin peaks tops anything I've experienced before this. Such an amazing and weird ride. I hope the ending lives up to the rest of it.

Top Bottom