• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

hydruxo

gonna send one of these out on behalf of neogaf, what should i say?

tumblr_inline_ovqic8NmRq1uvnusf_540.gif

That ending was brilliant. I was really worried there was going to be closure.

There is no good timeline or beating evil. Changing the past dictated the future, but that doesn't mean the future isn't fucked. Instead of ending with Cooper being used for evil while he is trapped unable to do good, we are left with Cooper in a world he changed that still has evil.

Or he is a different person entirely in a different world and the lodges are just transit stops for souls as they flow through to different bodies.

Interested to see what is in the final dossier.

The ratings weren't great but the amount of new subscriptions to Showtime made up for it. They mentioned during their financial call that they were happy with the boost that their numbers got.

i did not know this. that's good to hear, maybe there is hope after all!
still looking forward to the final dossier book

gagecube

Banned
I personally think Cooper and Mr. C 'fused', according to Hawk in Season 2 Mr. C is just Cooper's shadow self, and we know him as his doppelganger. I think the beginning of Part 18 hints that they kind of are one now. Cooper acts in some places like Mr. C and other places like Cooper, is something of note.
Yeah I’m with you. Either way, Cooper isn’t Cooper anymore. You can feel it in that entire episode. He’s there, but he’s not. It’s fascinating acting, really

My prediction: If there's a season 4, people will be just as disappointing with the finale of that as much as the finale of this season.

Also I just realized I was taking seeing Albert nearly every week for granted, and now there will never be anymore Albert, ever, even if there is a S4. :( Miguel Ferrer was such an amazing part of this season.

HoJu

So did Cooper create a time line where Laura never died and Jack Nancen went fishing? Or was that what Cooper was trying to do, but something got fucked up and now he's Richard.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, I'm assuming the Dale in the new reality is... different somehow. Kyle has done such an excellent job of communicating differences between his various incarnations that the more reserved, standoffish Coop has to be intentional.

So this was pure David Lynch heroin.

And we have all gone into serious withdrawal. There were only 17 parts and we all just had the most messed up fever dream as we went cold turkey.

What happened to bug girl? What was the purpose of the smoking woodsman? How is this a better ending for the world? Is this what the Fireman wanted? Why?

What the fuck was the motivation of the main antagonist for the entire season?

Number_6

Does anyone other than me still think that the Cooper we saw in most of episode 18 wasn’t really Cooper? He acted more like Mr. C

Yet, he didn't kill anyone (and he totally could have) and he accepted coffee...

Like I said, maybe they merged.

Or, maybe Cooper is just less jovial, given the circumstances. When shit got (un)real before, we didn't get the Cooperisms either.

The God

That ending was brilliant. I was really worried there was going to be closure.

There is no good timeline or beating evil. Changing the past dictated the future, but that doesn't mean the future isn't fucked. Instead of ending with Cooper being used for evil while he is trapped unable to do good, we are left with Cooper in a world he changed that still has evil.

Or he is a different person entirely in a different world and the lodges are just transit stops for souls as they flow through to different bodies.

Interested to see what is in the final dossier.
what lol

Vectorman

Banned
Seriously though, what's the point of killing off Dopplecooper/BOB when we didn't even know what his motivation was to find Judy? Was he gonna kill her or what? Btw, I'm gonna do a big ol writeup about my feeling about this season so I hope you all forgive when I post my TL;DR post.

Big One

Banned
Either way I figured the big takeaway from season 3 would be Bob being finally defeated. Now we have bigger fish to fry with Judy. Really hoping for a season 4 to resolve this.

I just want to know how, or more pertinently I guess, when the Final Dossier fits into all of this. When the Secret History came out, it seemed fairly straightforward- there's one timeline. Now, I have no clue what Twin Peaks history even means anymore.

Final Dossier is supposed to focus mainly on S2 > S3 I believe. I don't expect an awful lot of post S3 stuff.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wtf is up with the dead guy in the house

Ya you're right, everything else in this show was explained it's a damn shame that theres this one single lingering question

I like that she seemed paranoid about people coming to her house until she heard Dale was an FBI agent and then she was just like "Oh come right in and see my dead guy for a bit"

When they were driving I think Carrie/Laura mentioned this a bit, I need to rewatch but she started talking about the need to keep a clean home, something being too much. She said something related to it in a couple sentences, but I was entranced elsewhere when she said it. She also talked about having to get the fuck out of there, guessing it was some relationship gone south and she murdered him.

Yeah, I'm assuming the Dale in the new reality is... different somehow. Kyle has done such an excellent job of communicating differences between his various incarnations that the more reserved, standoffish Coop has to be intentional.

Yeah, in Judy's Cafe he sounds so much like Mr. C, but then in other scenes he's more like Coop. His acting this season was so phenomenal.

Flipyap

What a roller coaster of emotions, holy FUCK.

Part 17 was a dumpster fire. Everything was horribly rushed and done as sloppily as possible. I seriously considered turning it off when it turned into Freddy vs. Dragonball. The retcon extravaganza was just embarrassing. The Back To The Future styling was awkward enough before they introduced that creepy-ass young-ish Laura. It was bad enough in my compressed cable feed, I don't know if I could handle this in blu-ray quality. Forget 4K editions, I'm going to need a VHS release.

Part 18, on the other hand, was wonderful (with the exception of the pointlessly recycled retcon scene from part 17 and the weirdly placed and rushed Jones family reunion), so maybe rushing through part 17 was worth it after all.
This is what the last third of this show should have been. All of the storylines that were "wrapped up" were handled in such unsatisfying ways, I'd be perfectly fine with cutting straight to this once we said goodbye to Mr. Jackpots.
It's ridiculous how much 18 felt and looked like classic Lynch. So well-paced, shot and edited. How the hell did this and part 8 end up in a show that so often looked like a collection of webisodes?
It was also great to see Cooper lose that cartoon hero schtick. He actually became the character I wanted to see in part 16.

I really needed this. What a relief.

gagecube

Banned
Dusk Golem had a good point that it seemed like mr c and real coop kinda fused into one for this weird alternate reality

traveler

Not Wario
Seriously though, what's the point of killing off Dopplecooper/BOB when we didn't even know what his motivation was to find Judy? Was he gonna kill her or what?

This is actually the one piece of resolution I was hoping we'd get that we didn't. Why does Doop pursue Judy? What is his endgame? Even if we got a season 4, we'll never get that.

So did Cooper create a time line where Laura never died and Jack Nancen went fishing? Or was that what Cooper was trying to do, but something got fucked up and now he's Richard.

I think the former. Laura didn't get killed but disappeared. As for the Richard/Linda thing, I don't know.

I disagree that the Cooper we see at the end is wholly or part Mr. C. We see Mr. C in flames in the red room. I think there he's being destroyed or punished. The Cooper we see at the end is acting much like the Cooper we see at the beginning of this season in the red room.

Yeah, I don't know if Laura still exists in the timeline where Pete Martell goes fishing. Like if she was pulled into the other reality or not.

But the fireman seems keyed into the big part 18 twist.

He plays the sound that happens when Laura vanishes. He mentions Richard and Linda.

Yeah I'm with you. Either way, Cooper isn't Cooper anymore. You can feel it in that entire episode. He's there, but he's not. It's fascinating acting, really

The true Cooper is gone as soon as he steps through that door and says "i'll see you at the curtain call".
i dont think we see him ever again that episode or in the entirety of 18

Something happens when MIKE takes cooper into the house to see jefferies.
after they enter the courtyard through the door at the top of the staircase, everything goes in reverse and a silhouette descends the staircase. maybe that indicates that a reality was erased? or that cooper himself was erased from that reality?

Number_6

I don't really see how preventing Laura's murder would wipe Annie out of existence...

Could be that when Laura disappeared from behind Cooper, she disappeared from her entire existence as Laura Palmer. I'm not saying that's the case, but Cooper's interference could have drawn attention to cause this.

If Laura was maybe a little older than Annie, I can see the butterfly effect causing Annie to never exist given that Laura never exists. Maybe.

The true Cooper is gone as soon as he steps through that door and says "i'll see you at the curtain call".
i dont think we see him ever again that episode or in the entirety of 18

Something happens when MIKE takes cooper into the house to see jefferies.
after they enter the courtyard through the door at the top of the staircase, everything goes in reverse and a silhouette descends the staircase. maybe that indicates that a reality was erased? or that cooper himself was erased from that reality?

I forgot about that, makes sense
Damn Cooper always forgets to close the door

Some people on Reddit have a theory and are saying Laura got sucked into an alternate timeline by Judy when Judy sensed that Cooper was trying to save Laura in the past. Cooper was trying to change time by saving Laura from dying and Judy did not like it. That was when Cooper was leading Laura by the hand in the wood and Laura suddenly disappears with the swooshing noise and the horrifying scream.

Then Coop and Diane go on a mission to save Laura in the alternate timeline from Judy...and in the end Laura realizes who she is and wakes up with the scream and the lights go out in the house.

mjp2417

Banned
I REALLY do not think the last half takes place in "reality". Something about the lights shutting down when Laura screams confirms that for me. I think Laura is trapped in a dream similar to Audrey, and Coop is trapped in there with her.

This makes sense given Lynch's other work (and the number of references to his previous work in this episode was pretty notable). I really, really don't think this finale was ultimately about time travel, but rather the temporal dislocation in this episode (and at the end of episode 17) was rather about the idea of Twin Peaks as such, which was always about nostalgia in its original incarnation and has itself been turned into a vessel for nostalgia for 25+ years, and the doomed attempt to recreate and perfect the past.

Yeah, I don't know if Laura still exists in the timeline where Pete Martell goes fishing. Like if she was pulled into the other reality or not.

But the fireman seems keyed into the big part 18 twist.

He plays the sound that happens when Laura vanishes. He mentions Richard and Linda.

Yeah the Fireman seems like he expected this eventuality, which doesn't really mean it's a twist, it means it's something that was anticipated from the beginning. He tells him to remember 430 (the number of miles he and Diane had to travel.) He tells him to remember Richard and Linda. He plays the sound.

Top Bottom