• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 |OT2| It's Just A Change, Not An End

HotHamBoy

Lynch is finally getting what he always wanted to do. He never wanted to reveal the key to the original series, "Who Killed Laura Palmer?" The key to whatever the hell happened in Part 18 is whatever Laura whispered to Cooper in the Red Room. We'll never know. They wouldn't put that scene over the credits if it wasn't the key to everything. We'll never know, and I am 100% okay with that!

You're okay with a series that's all questions and no answers?

David Lynch wants us to read his 18 cups of tea leaves.

I feel Episode 17 was a nice treat for fans to have before the regular cryptic style of David Lynch took over in Ep 18.

I'm still in a bit of a shock, my range of emotions when from "I'm so happy I'm crying" to "Holy shit I'm terrified" (I watched it by myself with no one in my house, so yeah that final moment and also Sarah destroying Laura's photo got me real good) and all I can say it's that I thoroughly enjoyed this journey.

I think either if it's a season or series finale, the last Episode fits perfectly, whatever payoff we'd hope to get came in 17, anything else seemed like wishful thinking, maybe getting more clarification into Audrey's situation would've been fine, but she was never addressed as a focal point of this season if I recall.

Truly hope to see more TP, if not I'm down with theorizing about that truly terrifying ending til I die. It'll make for a good conversation at the very least.

Watching it again this is definitely all three Coopers in one.

He's Dougie when he's leaving the lodge.

I noticed how his mannerisms and posture changed too and immediately thought of Dougie.

rgoulart

First of all: I loved everything including the finale. This season has been such a wild ride from beginning to end. We could never imagine there would be more Twin Peaks 25 years after it ended and here we are, with 18 hours of new Twin Peaks directed by Lynch and written by Lynch and Frost.

Now, as for the finale itself. I was speechless throughout the whole hour. I was emotionally drained by the end and very confused, which is a given with Lynch's works (this week I watched Inland Empire for the first time, so I was ready for anything).

The scenes where Fire Walk With Me was recreated with Cooper were so well done, it completely blew my mind. I wasn't expecting anything like that at all. The moment I saw that, I knew the last hour was gonna be something unique.

Cooper's line "what year is this?" and Carrie screaming while possibly recognizing herself as Laura was just the perfect cliffhanger. Twin Peaks always ended on cliffhangers, why wouldn't it now?

Is Laura the dreamer? Was she awakening at the end while the lights went out? We saw the outside of the RR restaurant but we didn't see anyone from the town. We know Diane is not Diane anymore, instead she is Linda and Cooper is Richard. What about the last scene we saw of Audrey? That was never resolved. Is Audrey in this new reality too? Who's still there? Will we get another series about this new reality with new characters?

There were some unresolved plots like Sarah Palmer (is she Judy?), the glass box, Audrey, the Experiment, that thing that entered the girl's mouth in Part 8 (is the girl Sarah Palmer?). But I finished the show satisfied with what I got and I gotta say, in my opinion, this is Lynch's finest work alongside Mulholland Drive. I want to binge watch all 18 hours again right now.

The moment it ended I was reminded of the Log Lady line earlier in the season to Hawk: "It's just a change, not an end" and how it was fitting to the actual end of the show. Bravo Log Lady.

To finish it off for now, how about the last shot with got? With Laura whispering in Cooper's ears inside the Black Lodge? I was sure at that moment we were gonna know what the hell she said to him but I guess it wasn't in Lynch's and Frost's plan to do that. Maybe in another season, if we are ever lucky enough to get one.

Lynch is finally getting what he always wanted to do. He never wanted to reveal the key to the original series, "Who Killed Laura Palmer?" The key to whatever the hell happened in Part 18 is whatever Laura whispered to Cooper in the Red Room. We'll never know. They wouldn't put that scene over the credits if it wasn't the key to everything. We'll never know, and I am 100% okay with that!

Yeah me too. I love not knowing. I also hate it. It's the type of thing that'll keep me up at night wondering about. What could she have said to him to elicit such a reaction...

Diane looking at Diane freaked me out for some reason

It's exceptionally creepy.

TPF63ik.gif

It's so simple and effective.

I remember how I was worrying that the reason cooper was bringing Laura to her house was to defeat Judy.

Those were the days.

I think I’m going to go cry now.

I thought Judy was going to kill both of them and we'd see that the real Cooper and Laura were just dooplegangers the entire series

it seems like "electricity" is the trigger for a creation or change of some sort in TP.
after Diane and Coop pass the electric field in the car in 18, that's where they become richard and linda.

it's strange though because it seems as if cooper still remembers who he is even though he goes by a different name.

That ending is haunting as fuck. The whole tone of Cooper discovering that something isn't right was enough, but the moment they brought up the Tremond/Chalfant angle, it felt like the combined evil in this show cosmically telling Cooper that he lost. That whole moment just felt genuinely evil, knowing the importance of those characters. The numb aftermath, and the beginning to pick up the pieces was a cherry on top of the nightmare. The final image of the house going dark as Laura begins to wake up knocked me to the ground.

Bold finale. I totally get both sides, and would be elated if we get more, but if we don't, I think the final moments will stay with me forever. Gosh.

HotHamBoy

Yeah me too. I love not knowing. I also hate it. It's the type of thing that'll keep me up at night wondering about. What could she have said to him to elicit such a reaction...

It's exceptionally creepy.

TPF63ik.gif

She didn't say anything. They didn't write anything.

The entire show is smoke and mirrors. It doesn't mean anything.

Empty symbols and vagaries. Lynch doesn't know, Frost doesn't know. It's one big troll.

I also kind of adore the fact that this show had so many small scale setups and payoffs but then the large scale setups have almost no payoff. For me the whole series rather nicely balances between utter frustration and immense catharsis.

HotHamBoy

I also kind of adore the fact that this show had so many small scale setups and payoffs but then the large scale setups have almost no payoff. For me the whole series rather nicely balances between utter frustration and immense catharsis.

Fans refusing to hold Lynch accountable for what he wrote.

"It's sheer genius, I tell ya!"

Hot ham boy I'm sorry you didn't stop watching earlier

The funny thing is I was totally on board until the last episode.

You're okay with a series that's all questions and no answers?

David Lynch wants us to read his 18 cups of tea leaves.

Remember that Laura's killer was never supposed to be revealed in the original run. Like, ever. Thank executive meddling for the train wreck season two was and the 25 year hiatus.

I think a lot of people are going to assume a tragic end for Dale but I really can't see it that way when the Giant lays the entire thing out at the beginning of the season, tells him how to travel to where Laura is still alive and who he'll be when he gets there.

What two birds with one stone means, I'm not sure.

Did we just find out that pretty much everything in season 1,2,3 and fire walk with me was all part of Cooper's dream world and now we are finally in the correct dimension? lol

Was the real Laura the one who died in the first place? When I was watching episode 17, it struck me that in her conversation with James she said something like she wasn't "his Laura". What if Carrie is the real Laura and always has been, but was placed there long ago by Judy or the Fireman? We then have the Laura doppleganger, who lived out the last horrific days we saw in FWWM.

That ending is haunting as fuck. The whole tone of Cooper discovering that something isn't right was enough, but the moment they brought up the Tremond/Chalfant angle, it felt like the combined evil in this show cosmically telling Cooper that he lost. That whole moment just felt genuinely evil, knowing the importance of those characters. The numb aftermath, and the beginning to pick up the pieces was a cherry on top of the nightmare. The final image of the house going dark as Laura begins to wake up knocked me to the ground.

Bold finale. I totally get both sides, and would be elated if we get more, but if we don't, I think the final moments will stay with me forever. Gosh.

I really thought Davey believed that good would win.

Cries.

1992. That's what year it is. I just saw the last episode of Twin Peaks. I've never seen anything like it and it will take a long time to process.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i don't think i liked this season until the last two episodes. fuck that was amazing.
3 & 8 were great too.

mjp2417

Banned
I think a lot of people are going to assume a tragic end for Dale but I really can't see it that way when the Giant lays the entire thing out at the beginning of the season, tells him how to travel to where Laura is still alive and who he'll be when he gets there.

What two birds with one stone means, I'm not sure.

I mean I don't think it's a happy ending for him. He looks like a broken man in those final moments and Laura is emitting like the single most blood-curdling scream ever.

30 minutes of flawless narrative culmination. 1.5 hours of unrelenting dread, punctuated by a moment of eternal terror. Just utter perfection. I'll never forget that finale, much less the rest of the series.

The lack of resolution are peculiar. I'm genuinely curious how these complainers interact with people in real life. Every person you briefly met, every glimpse of a story you hear, every small piece of beauty in this world: do you want to suck the life out of it by wringing out any mystery and joy? Twin Peaks was always about getting a peek into this strange, haunting, beautiful world filled with unique characters and letting the mystique of uncertainty protrude through the layers of this experience. Lynch and Frost carried that through to the end. I loved this and I'd welcome a fourth season, but I'd be just as happy without one.

Top Bottom